Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Dont Think Ya'll Are ready for this.

Great story. My wife pulled me back mentally a few years ago. I was fat then too, but I told her about all the fatties running around the lake I walked. She pointed out how great it was that they were attempting to do something about their lifestyles by exercising. My wife is my hero!!

I had read that same article last week on line. The writer may have wanted to come off as non-condescending but I feel he was very much so. For him to assume what the runner was thinking, whether they be overweight or not is a bit presumptuous on his part. When we see someone running on the track that is thin and normal weight, is it okay to think and feel obnoxious things about them and then put it into writing? I don't think so. This writer is just looking for support in judging others and I'm not buying it. We don't need to be called "fatty" or anything else. We have names and we are doing the best we can with what we have. I prefer an article that is more positive and uplifting and shows support for those persons that have struggles with health and weight. But hey, that's just me.

well i do believe in tough love

and i admit i was angry reading the part calling her a fatty

but i was happy the person told them they rock...

sometimes words hurt more than they should or need to

and sometimes words are the one thing that make it click...

I'd like to meet the person who penned this letter so I can smack their pompous, condescending face. The writer makes some gross assumptions about how and why the "fattie" is overweight. Maybe you guys see some sort of latent inspiration in this story but all I see is someone who is trying to explain their bias and stereotypical judgement of a "fattie" I don't think the "fattie" wants,deserves or needs support and inspiration from some self serving patronizing "skinny bitch"

I saw this on Facebook and didn't see anything uplifting about it. Very condescending and judgmental.

I want to cry for the lady running on that track! This is the main reason why I was so afraid to go to the gym, because I didn't want someone commenting on me or making fun of me. I see that the letter changes later on, but the writer doesn't have any idea the journey that the runner has gone through.

I too get tough love, but that's from someone who actually cares about you. The writer is just making assumptions about the runner. She is out there, trying and someone has to come out and write a piece about her - wth? The whole thing makes me sad. I want to run up to her and give her a hug and be like - come on, I'll go with you (then she could have written about both of us).

To the skinny running around the track

You know nothing of how I came to this place

Of aching joints, embarrassment and self defeat

I'm trying to survive while you run your 6 minute mile

It's not about midnight Snacks, Cookies and cake

It's about a little girl who learned early

She was alone, unprotected, vulnerable

Blamed herself for the abuse she suffered

I'm not here for you to judge or make assumptions

About how I became a fatty, I don't need your approval

As you pass me, an encouraging word would be ok

Cause with every painful step I want to quit

So don't judge me at the track, grocery store or diner

Don't judge me at the gym, park or pool

Don judge me anywhere I go, skinny

You run your life, I'll run mine, one mile at a time

I may be the only one but I like the message. Some of the comments may have been a little "off" but I did think they were genuine. As someone that is 190 lbs and just started running, I find that runners are a very supportive community - they love it when another person tries their sport. Most people are so complimentary of my progress, not judgemental. I'm the only one that seems to be judging me...

For all of our negative and positive interpretations of this message...I wonder did any one think that perhaps this person was writing this letter to her/him self?

I often times see people here and in life who put themselves down, beat themselves up for their perceived lack of success or in fear of failure. I'm sure you have looked in a mirror once or twice and thought some pretty negative things about the person you saw staring back at you.

Perhaps the conversation in your mind started off negative as you tore that image in the mirror down, only to look deeper and realize that you had the power to change it and just as easily build yourself up.

Picking up your head, facing your fear looking it in the eye and saying YOU ROCK! YOU GOT THIS!!

My daughter is 118 pound lifelong runner..... She and I happened to be working out at the gym the other day, and as she's running her 7 minute miles, an overweight lady next to her was barely shuffling on the treadmill. I looked over at the two of them and I was inspired, in awe, and proud of BOTH of them. Later that day, my "runner" said that she is much more INSPIRED by non-athletes trying to regain their health than muscle bound gym rats. On another note she said that when she's in her "zone," she doesn't even really notice others in the gym. Her whole mindset is on her run. And, I'm starting to get that way too. Im traininf myself to be more focused on me than others. It is my humble opinion that it is only human nature to compare. We (I) have done the whole comparing thing in many aspects: what "they" are eating vs what "I" am eating, what "their" workout is like compared to "mine," what speed "they" are running vs what speed "I" am running. I see both side's opinion on that article!!!

For all of our negative and positive interpretations of this message...I wonder did any one think that perhaps this person was writing this letter to her/him self?

I often times see people here and in life who put themselves down, beat themselves up for their perceived lack of success or in fear of failure. I'm sure you have looked in a mirror once or twice and thought some pretty negative things about the person you saw staring back at you.

Perhaps the conversation in your mind started off negative as you tore that image in the mirror down, only to look deeper and realize that you had the power to change it and just as easily build yourself up.

Picking up your head, facing your fear looking it in the eye and saying YOU ROCK! YOU GOT THIS!!

I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe the author is or was a fatty at one time and realizes how difficult it is?