Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't lose the weight! Help!

Thanks for the help advice, I am due to be banded on Dec 10, I am excited and nervous at the same time. Please keep me posted on new ideas to losing weight.

Thank you and many blessings

Hi,

I had my lapband surgery on Sept. 12, 2008. 6 weeks after my surgery I joined a bootcamp called CrossFit. This was the hardest exercise I had ever done in my life..... but it works. It was also the most rewarding exercise I've ever done!!!!

I went 5 days a week, for 6 months and lost 52 lbs. Then I had to have my gall bladder taken out, and couldn't exercise for 6 weeks. I haven't been able to go back due to the expense.

Ever since my gall bladder surgery, I have gained and lost the same 3 pounds. My doctor said that he was recently at a conference and the surgeons were discussing this issue in some patients. They seem to think that when they are doing a fill, maybe the needle hits the back metal plate of the port, and gets a little bent. Then when the pull it out, it takes a very small piece of the silicone from the port, which causes a very slow leak. He couldn't say for sure that is the problem with me though. He said that if that is what happened I would need to have a new band put in. This makes no sense to me, because if it got a leak once, what would stop it from getting one again?

I wanted to tell people about CrossFit because it is awesome. Just about every bigger city has a CrossFit gym. If you can, you should check it out. If there is anyone living in Modesto or Ceres CA. and would like to go, let me know. I am going to start again soon.

Toni:thumbup:

Prove it.

It is working for me. I am burning an average of 4,000 a day and eating less than 2,000. I'm dropping 3-5 pounds a week and won't be banded until February.

Hi , when you say you are burning 4,000 a day - does that include all activities in the day or specifically working out?

Please let me know how you manage to burn so many calories per day!

Thanks!

I feel your pain. Can you tell me how many fills you;vve actually had so far? My OCt 1 surgery isn;'t doing what I'd hoped it would either. I lost 12 lbs mostly due to the strict Fluid diet afterwards, But I've only lost another10 lbs since mhy first fill on Nov th. I got 5cc in. And I have another fill scheduled for Dec 16th. Will the 2nd fill help at all? Or do I truly have to wait till that majic 3rd fill before I start losin mroe. I have no restrcition at all right now, after 1 fill. I can eat bread, Pasta, rice, and almost anything. Was hoping 1 of these iterms would makke me sick, but none ever did. When will I get some restriction?

Love, Marci

Its only 8 December, 10lb since even early November is fabulous! People seem to expect such fast weight loss!

And bear in mind what restriction really is. It is not a hard stop on certain foods and an automatic guarantee of weight loss. I can eat bread, Pasta and rice four years down the track and I have restriction. I've also eaten these foods regularly all the way through, as our dietary guidelines are a lot different in Australia, not eating them is absolutely no guarantee of loss either.

The band (and restriction) simply helps you to be satisfied on less food. It is not meant to restrict specific foods or make you eat so little that you lose 5lb a week. Many people never lose weight that fast. And if you dont want to eat things like bread and rice, it may be down to your willpower and not the band to avoid them.

You have to decide what you consider a healthy diet and consciously follow that. Going too tight often leads simply overeating slider foods like Protein shakes, yogurt, and stuff like chips and ice cream, and often weight loss stops!

But you do need restriction for the band to work too, and for many people, that takes several fills to achieve.

Hi,

I had my LAP-BAND®® surgery on Sept. 12, 2008. 6 weeks after my surgery I joined a bootcamp called CrossFit.

Were you advised by your doctor to wait 6 weeks before you started the CrossFit program? We have a program here in Seoul that I'm thinking of joining, but I'm worried about the intensity.

I know I can walk immediately after surgery, but freaking myself out a bit, thinking I'll exercise too hard and rupture/slip/break the band or something crazy like that.

I'd love to know how long everyone waited before they attempted "serious" workouts.

Hi , when you say you are burning 4,000 a day - does that include all activities in the day or specifically working out?

Please let me know how you manage to burn so many calories per day!

Thanks!

That is the total for the day. I have a Bodybugg and it tells me how many calories I am burning throughout the day.

Increase your Protein and decrease your carbs Jamie. Watch your calories. I can eat anything but I eat about half of what I used to. Huge decrease in calories for me. My walk a lot at my job so that helps too. Remember, it's only a tool. YOU have to do your part too. I know, I know....you get sick of hear that but it's so true. Hang in there Jamie. I am 15# down since Oct 8th. I am thrilled.

Linda G

While I appreciate some of the blunt responses, as many people need to be honest with themselves, there are many of us strugglers who are doing EXACTLY what they should be and still not losing.

I have not lost an ounce in over a week. I drink my Protein shakes, eat my small meals, avoid empty calories and carbs, log my intake TO A T, and maintain less than 1000 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week (only cardio right now, as I'm not cleared to do weights yet) and I am exactly where I was at my one week followup.

Granted, I have lost 14 pounds in a month, since I began my pre op diet, but 9 of that was the week before surgery, the other 5 in the week following, and not an ounce since.

It's a little disheartening to hear people say "It's hard to believe you are doing everything right and not losing" but I AM. It does happen unfortunately.

I have faith that it will eventually start coming off, but for those of us that are struggling, it's more upsetting to know we made this huge life changing decision and others that have been there think we aren't trying hard enough.

While I appreciate some of the blunt responses, as many people need to be honest with themselves, there are many of us strugglers who are doing EXACTLY what they should be and still not losing.

I have not lost an ounce in over a week. I drink my Protein shakes, eat my small meals, avoid empty calories and carbs, log my intake TO A T, and maintain less than 1000 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week (only cardio right now, as I'm not cleared to do weights yet) and I am exactly where I was at my one week followup.

Granted, I have lost 14 pounds in a month, since I began my pre op diet, but 9 of that was the week before surgery, the other 5 in the week following, and not an ounce since.

It's a little disheartening to hear people say "It's hard to believe you are doing everything right and not losing" but I AM. It does happen unfortunately.

I have faith that it will eventually start coming off, but for those of us that are struggling, it's more upsetting to know we made this huge life changing decision and others that have been there think we aren't trying hard enough.

You need to shock your body a little. Taking in the same amount of calories a day no matter HOW much you exercise and how much you eat, your body will get used to the calories and it won't lose the weight. You need to at least 2 days a week take in a little more calorie intake. Eat a higher caloric food. Your weight will start coming off again.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the info. I will try that. I've also got an email in to the nutritionist at the surgeon's office to see what her suggestions would be.

I understand your frustration. I was only down 4# at my month post op visit. I find it helpful to eat about 5-6 small meals a day. 3 good meals then 2-3 "snacks" like a Protein Bar or shake and cheese or nuts. This works for me. It is still slow coming off, but it is coming off. It helps that my job is a busy one and I am walking for most of my 12 hrs at work. I did dust off our treadmill and have been using that at least once a week. Walking a mile. Good luck to everyone. I get my first fill on the 18th of Dec. Just in time for that great Christmas meal. :thumbup:

Linda G

I am having trouble loosing weight started out weighing 260 and I was banded in November 2007 I have lost 30 pounds. I have lost 4 dress size that made me feel good but I finger my weight would be off my now. I thought about getting another fill but don't think the doc will give me one. my band is a 10cc and I have 8.1cc. When I eat I don't know how to tell I am full I just stop eatting. I have a family of 5 they are all picky eaters they want to go out for food they seem to not like my cooking or we just don't have time with my four kids in activities by the time I get home from work it is time to take them some where. my husband is a picky eatter he only likes veggies,chicken,pasta,potatos, mexican food and mac donalds. Oh Taco Bell, Chick Flea. I tell him and the kids I can't eat at thoes places they aren't good for us but we still go. I'm not sure how to handle this. I am having trouble meeting my Protein goals. I called my doc office they told me to drink a shake in the morning time and eat a snack and my lunch then another snack and then eat dinner.. In the morning I drink my shake but it makes me sick and I also don't stay full that long with in an hour or so I am hungry again. and for lunch I will eat a grilled chicken sandwich remove bread just eat meat and veggies. also could someone tell me if tea with slpenda okay to drink? could someone help me with my problem...

Thanks

Michelle

Thanks everyone, this is all great advice. I think its true that sometimes I think my doctor tells me things I want to hear so I don't get depressed about not losing the weight. 23lbs in 6months is not good at all and I need to own up to it and from now on I'm going to be trying my best and watching what I eat and going to the gym.

To the person, that was talking about working out but not really working out, I'm guilty of that. I usually do my Wii Fitt at home and although I sweat its never nearly as much as if I would have gone to the gym.

I know I am guilty of as soon as I was able to eat solid foods I went right back to the type of food that I was eating before just not in the great amount I was. But I recently starting cutting out carbs and seriously upping my Protein intake (mostly because I had a lot of hair loss, which can be a completely different thread, haha)

23lbs in 6months isn't what I wanted but I think that is whats making me know realize that getting the lap band was only 10% of my weight loss solution the other 90% is my attitude!

Here's to my (2nd) new beginning!