Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

Hi Delights! I haven't been online in about a month b/c I just didn't have much to "say" about my progress thus far and I am REALLY getting discouraged about having the surgery. I have had 5 fills and now have 8cc's in an 11cc Realize band, and I just ate a turkey sandwich (:cool:).. I am walking 3 miles a day 4 times a week and I haven't lost any weight since about a week post-op. (:eek:). I was set to go back for a office visit on the 28th, but I called yesterday to schedule another fill for next week instead. I just don't know what the problem could be. Yes, I eat less than I did before, BUT I can eat ALL the same foods I did before. I have never had a PB or had anything "stuck", not that I want to, but at least I would FEEL like the band was in there. I haven't read any posts, but I am sure you all are doing well and congrats to you and your successes.

You are not alone, Happy. I lurk here, but don't post much. I'll lose a few pounds right after a fill, and then spend a couple of weeks gaining and losing those same few pounds. I, too, have never PB'd, slimed or got stuck. (not that I really WANT to, LOL) I can eat whatever. Last week I ate 3 slices of pizza with absolutely no trouble. :cool:

My net loss is about .5 lb per week avg. I know, a loss is a loss. I AM happy that I have lost some, but I know I could/should be doing way better. I have a heck of a lot to lose - at least 150 lbs. I thought because I am starting at such a high BMI the weight loss would be easy at first, THEN slow. Ugh.

I'm behind in my fills, which I know is part of it. I may be looking at port revision soon - my port is at a funny angle and I have to have all my fills under flouro. My surgeon does not typically do the flouro, and he is not happy about it. I'm afraid my ins will not cover it.

Anyway, I don't mean to be too negative. I do have hope and faith that this will work for me eventually.

Hang in there girls.

I agree it is very anticlimactic-- I have a friend right now considering the lapband ( she does not know I have one)

I am going to have to have a talk with her as she gets closer to deciding between this and bypass because I honestly don't think she can handle the band.

There is too much wait time between surgery and the weight coming off......you gotta play the head game.

I don't think the band is ever going to tell me what I can eat. I think I am going to have to learn to force myself to eat the right things only.

I did some arm exercises last night at an incline and my bubble in the throat feeling is gone. BUMMER I really liked it as a reminder.

I made a bad food choice this morning and I am starving even though I already ate lunch. My trigger foods are still there. I am going to have to grin and bear it for the day and hope that by starting my day off right tomorrow I won't have the cravings.

I weighed in and lost 2 lbs last week...but I normally lose a larger amount the week after a fill. It's been 15 weeks today.

Has any one here had an Endometrial ablation?

I have to see my OBGYN on Monday and I know this is the next ( and final) step for my girlie issues. I was hoping losing weight would correct it....but I am 50lbs down from my highest and it's still here. I am nervous about going in for surgery again but I really need to do it bsoon if I'm going to.....all my deductibles were met from the lapband surgery so this would be a freebie....

Edited by New Joy

weird, I am having to look at the ablation, too. Not happy, either.

My other stinking news is that my surgeon is leaving. Only one other local doc does surgeries and fills, and I called the office this morning. The staff doesn't know whether he will take new fill patients. i just cried.

Well Ladies,

Don't give up! I went to my Dr. on yesterday hoping for a fill because I feel like I can just eat and eat and eat and he would not give me one! At first, I was totally angry but after talking to him, I think that I am glad I did not get one. I have been losing an average of 2 lbs per week which is nice an slow. I am able to eat anything that I want without any stuck episodes or PB or sliming or anything else, thank God. I would rather take it nice and slow with no complications instead of quick with stuck and sliming problems. He felt that since I am losing it was better not to overfill, which would cause problems. I am not really full after eating and I have to tell myself that enough is enough. However, I am able to go longer between meals now. I guess it was the greed that got me here in the first place so I need to learn to stop eating when my body has had enough. Just stay positive and don't give up. Keep exercising and making the right food choices and I am confident that this journey will be well worth the ride.

It has been a while since I posted but I am doing well. I have had 4 fills up to about 6 cc's. I go every few weeks. So far no real restriction but today I had a WW meal and small salad and boy was I full. I mean painfully full. I finally burped and threw up in my mouth. I hope if ever I slime I get a little more warning than that.

I did get a book called Successful Weight loss surgery patients or something. Basically it said people who are 3, 5 10 years out and have lost and kept of large amounts after surgery are those that drink their Water, get 60 grams of Protein, take their Vitamins, and work out 40 minutes 4 times a week.

I am still working on the workout part. I have been walking and increasing my speed but it is not consistant. I am really thinking about buying a bike so I can maybe jump on that and pedal around the neighborhood instead of just walking.

I am amazed though that even after losing close to 40 pounds only a handful of people have said anything at work. The other thing that I am irriatated at is the size of my clothes. I wore a 22 before surgery and am only in a size 20 now. The 18's are just too tight still. How can that be? Losing all that weight and only one dress size?

I have also been measuring myself once a month to keep track of where i have been losing and recording what my weight is each month. I am averaging a about 5 or 6 pounds a month. Slow but steady.

overall I am happy I got it, and aim to have 50 pounds down by summer.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. :thumbup:

Today was a good news/bad news day. The good news is that I'm not crazy - there is a reason for my lack of restriction. The bad news is that I have a leak in the port tubing. :laugh:

Went in for my fill - the last two were done under flouro b/c the doc had difficulty accessing the port. Today we went straight to radiology. Instead of saline, he injected dye into the port - sure enough, a small leak right where the tubing connects to the port. This totally explains why I feel initial restriction after a fill, lose well for a week, then after a week or two I end up gaining and losing the same couple of lbs.

I suppose I could/should be angry. But, I was already prepared for a port revision because my port was flipped and sort of upside down. So, I guess its another surgery for me. I hear it is much less involved - going in only through the port incision, but still under general anesthesia. Keeping my fingers crossed that the ins approval goes through - and quickly!

I am so glad my doc did not mess around and make me go though numerous fill before investigating for the leak.

It's back to the "old fashioned" way for a bit. I am determined not to re-gain what I have lost.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. :thumbup:

Today was a good news/bad news day. The good news is that I'm not crazy - there is a reason for my lack of restriction. The bad news is that I have a leak in the port tubing. :laugh:

Went in for my fill - the last two were done under flouro b/c the doc had difficulty accessing the port. Today we went straight to radiology. Instead of saline, he injected dye into the port - sure enough, a small leak right where the tubing connects to the port. This totally explains why I feel initial restriction after a fill, lose well for a week, then after a week or two I end up gaining and losing the same couple of lbs.

I suppose I could/should be angry. But, I was already prepared for a port revision because my port was flipped and sort of upside down. So, I guess its another surgery for me. I hear it is much less involved - going in only through the port incision, but still under general anesthesia. Keeping my fingers crossed that the ins approval goes through - and quickly!

I am so glad my doc did not mess around and make me go though numerous fill before investigating for the leak.

It's back to the "old fashioned" way for a bit. I am determined not to re-gain what I have lost.

You have a great attitude about this and that will get you through and help you not to gain. I wish you all the best and hope the insurance comes thru quickly for you. Keep in touch with us and let us know how you are progressing - we care.

Hugs.

There is too much wait time between surgery and the weight coming off......you gotta play the head game.

QUOTE]

This statement is the crux of what we've been through. I went on a 18 day rode trip with DH and gained 5 lbs. Have since taken it off. This is a very difficult time in a bandster's life. My doc says that once you reach true restriction it clicks (for most people) and it turns off your hungry switch. I believe I'm almost there. I can now only eat small amounts and don't really look forward to meals. I get full after a few bites and eating is more of a chore than anything. But it took me a long time to get here!!! A lot of "wait time" where maintaining is a good thing. Take care everyone!!! hugs to you...Dottie

Thank you Viv!

Hello everyone.

I had to come on and share my news. I just found out that I am pregnant. I am just 4 wks and Due Dec 26th. I am shocked and so excited. I have 2 sons: 3 and 1. So kind of hoping this one is a little girl, but will take a healthy baby!

Not looking forward to getting my band unfilled especially now that I am at my sweet spot. But I had to do what is best. I'm hoping I can keep some fill. I don't want to gain back all of what I lost.

Have a great week!

Thanks so much for sharing Mandz. I can relate to so much of what you say. The sizes are so giant when you're in 22s and 24s that it takes forever to go down. I had lost 35 pounds before I went from size 22 to 20. Hard to believe. The good news is that the smaller sizes are much less ample - skinny people size are more like 10 pounds difference. You'll get there if you keep up the good work! Like you, I have been very frustrated that people have "noticed" .. it's not that nobody has, but for example: I get dressed up, put on makeup and go to my brother's house about every other week. I have lost 70 pounds, and he and his wife haven't said a thing! I keep thinking maybe they think I'll be insulted if they say I look like I've lost weight. But like most of us, I most certainly will not be insulted by a compliment on my Weight loss!

Congratulations!! That's the best reason in the world to put things on hold! I hope you have smooth sailing from now until you deliver!

All good wishes to you Tracy You will be trading in your band (for a while) for a bundle of joy!

Thank you both for the congrats. I can't believe I am doing this. I never imagined the band would help me lose 80 pounds so quickly and gain a baby. I just pray everything goes well and I will get a wonderful Christmas present this year!