Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are there not set diet standards?

:thumbup: Why is everyones diet different. liquids for 3 days, 2 weeks, 4 weeks? I haven't lost a pound since I was banded and I tried to tell my doc that I think my body is in starvation mode and I need to up my intake, and he gives me this spiel about torn stitches and whatnot. Mean while another doc has their patient eating on a totaly different progression. While I know it takes time for my tummy to heal, Exactly how long does it take? Why does one doc do one thing and another do differently. It is very frustrating to me. I lost 30 lbs on my pre-op doing high Protein low carb and here it is the beginning of week 3 and I am consuming around 400 calories a day and haven't lost a pound and only have another two weeks of liquids to look forward to when if I had picked a different doc I would be onto mushies by now. Does anyone know how long it takes for your tummy to heal? Its not like I want to chow down on a burger or anything but some type of pureed food would be nice.

I was on Clear Liquids the 1st day then I was on full liquids for the next 10 days, at my post op visit they moved me onto pureed 2 weeks then soft 1 week then regular foods. They have just changed the guidelines to one week of each phase for all 3 docs at my clinic. Not sure how long to heal. I've heard 4 - 6 weeks. 400 cals sound way too low. I was eating 700-800 cal at your stage. My nutritionist told me to concentrate on fluids and Protein I've lost 29.5 # since surgery on 9/18/09 At my 10 day post op I was down 11#, at my 6 weeks I was down another 10.5#, and have lost an additional 8# in a little over 2 weeks.

Edited by Barble

Let's face it, most surgeons/doctors aren't into the nutrition side of all of this. They are more interested in the actual medical part of banding. You really need advice from a good nutritionist that knows all about banding and what to expect prior to and after the procedure. Some doctors offer this type service and some do not. They try to wing it on their own. Some don't keep up with nutrition enough to even talk intelligently about it. Just because they are physicians doesn't mean they know everything.

Find yourself a nutritionist, plan out what you can/can't eat, and go from there IF your doctor doesn't recommend one.

At any rate, prior to your surgery, you need to educate yourself on what you can and can't have or do. Please remember that you are going to need 4-6 six weeks for healing...so don't be in too big of a hurry.

Good luck and let us know what happens with you. This advice is from a retired nurse that doesn't know everything either!

It is true that there are a lot of variations in the plans. 400 calories seems much too low to me. However, I think sticking with the consistency (clear liquids, full liquids, mushies, etc) during the correct stages is vitally important for the life of your band and future success.

Taking a more conservative approach is not going to cause you any harm. You will also find that doctors might step you up a level on the dietary stages if you discuss it with them and seem ready to move on. Just remember, this is just a few short weeks out of your life for something that should be a lifelong change. This stage isn't easy for anyone, but isn't it worth it?

As far as your doctors "spiel" about torn stitches or whatnot . . . he is a professional and it won't do you or your doctor any good if you do get torn stitches or cause yourself personal damage. If he prefers a more conservative approach when there is a lack of a dietary standard, how can he be faulted for wanting to maintain your health. He is supposed to have a "spiel" since that is what you or perhaps your insurance company pays him for.

Also your body is going through a complete shock. A significant number of us have a stall or plateau for a few weeks in the early stages before a fill. Your body needs to adjust . . . it just takes a little time. Sometimes people don't lose for a while and then the weight comes of in chunks.

If you are following the plan, you will lose weight in time regardless if it is 5-10 pounds one week and nothing the next or if it is a stead 1.5 loss a week. Just hang in there and know that this stage will be finished soon. Good luck.

Edited by HeatherO

You guys just gave me th motivation to call a nutrionalist :)

I just had my band done a week ago, happy 1 week anniversary. I cant weigh myself because the scale doesnt go past 330. When I was at the hospital last week, I weighed 340.

I was told to have for the first 1 clear liquids, then the second week to have purreed food, then the 3rd week, thicker pureed food. Then one month solids.

So I agree with the orignal poster, why is everyone getting different answers? I Also read 2 books, and they agreed with what my drs office said.

The original nutrionalist I saw works with my DR, so I think I may call a few other places today to see my options. My calorie intake is about 400-500 a day with about 30-40 grams of protien. Like yesturday My diet consisted of

1 can chicken broth, low sodium

2 slimfast high Proteins

2 crystal lights

and about 5 glasses of Water. Mind you this is coming from the menu the hospital sent me home with.

I want to start mashed potatoes, but I actaully havent had hunger pains yet.

I was on a two day pre-op liquid diet. And two week post-op liquid diet. I just started my mushy food stage this past Tuesday and have two weeks of it. Then I am on to solids. I wont be able to have Thanksgiving food ON Thanksgiving, but will be able to have cranberry sauce and broccoli.

I agree that there should be a set guideline, but each person will respond to the stages different. Infact, I am having a hard time with my mushy foods getting stuck. I am also having difficulty drinking my Protein drinks. I cant get past the taste and texture. I tried to mix the powder in a shake type consistency (or a smoothie) and that got stuck.

I finally had to pull out my lapband book as a reference to serving size.

Hang in there and dont get discouraged. The nutritionist told me that if my weight ever got stuck, to increase the exercise. Best of luck!

I was banded 2 weeks ago (10/29) and wondered the same thing while I went into 2 weeks of clear liquids. Others here were on full liquids, mushies, or even soft food. When I went for my first post-op visit, the nurse was pretty assembly line focused on going over the diet for the next 4 weeks, telling me I needed to wait until exactly 2 weeks to start anything else.

But my doctor asked me how I was feeling, and when I said hungry, he said to go ahead and moved up the soft foods to that very day. I'm still only on 8 oz of food per day, and my calorie count is below 400. I'm a little concerned about that, but decided to have a Protein shake made with Water in addition to my soft food to up my Protein and calorie count.

Other than that, though, I'm sticking to the instructions from my doctor developed with their nutritionist for us. Even when I want more, I trust that they know more about my healing than I do, especially in these early stages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ready for more food. But I can wait until Monday for tuna and in the meantime, this is an incentive for me to keep drinking.

:) Why is everyones diet different. Liquids for 3 days, 2 weeks, 4 weeks? I haven't lost a pound since I was banded and I tried to tell my doc that I think my body is in starvation mode and I need to up my intake, and he gives me this spiel about torn stitches and whatnot. Mean while another doc has their patient eating on a totaly different progression. While I know it takes time for my tummy to heal, Exactly how long does it take? Why does one doc do one thing and another do differently. It is very frustrating to me. I lost 30 lbs on my pre-op doing high Protein low carb and here it is the beginning of week 3 and I am consuming around 400 calories a day and haven't lost a pound and only have another two weeks of liquids to look forward to when if I had picked a different doc I would be onto mushies by now. Does anyone know how long it takes for your tummy to heal? Its not like I want to chow down on a burger or anything but some type of pureed food would be nice.

Hi there. Your doc works out of St. Francis as does mine (Oh) and they have very strict guidelines. I had surgery on Oct 29th and have lost 16 lbs. I was wondering if your walking much cause thats helped me a lot. I am dying though on the liquids and at times have wanted to advance myself (i did cheat and have a spoonful of mashed pot). I am trying to stick in there though. I know its hard Many of my friends on here who were banded are on mushies or skilled foods. I cant stand my Protein shakes now so Id love to have some refried Beans. Since your local if you want to talk we can chat and compare notes or meet up and have a lol Water or crystal light! I really feel your pain I am just hoping its worth it. I would def talk to a nutritionist if your able to.

Let's face it, most surgeons/doctors aren't into the nutrition side of all of this. They are more interested in the actual medical part of banding. You really need advice from a good nutritionist that knows all about banding and what to expect prior to and after the procedure. Some doctors offer this type service and some do not. They try to wing it on their own. Some don't keep up with nutrition enough to even talk intelligently about it. Just because they are physicians doesn't mean they know everything.

I couldnt agree with this more. Its completely accurate.

However, in the post op phase, it is most important to stick to your DOCTOR's orders, primarily becuase the reason behind the diet is MEDICAL not nutritional. Its to heal the stomach and whether or not you go into "starvation mode" (if it even exists)or lose weight is completely irrelevant right now. You're not supposed to be focussed on losing, you're supposed to be healing and he didnt give you a "spiel" he gave you responsible advice.

the weight loss will come later, when you get restriction. Youv'e just lost a very large amount pre op, you've already exhausted your easy run of quick Water weight loss, and your body will now settle into slow and steady fat loss. This happens very often, and its just fact that the human body cant drop pounds and pounds of fat per week. Fat loss is slow and initial fast loss is Water, muscle and fat and doesnt go on forever. You'd be muscleless, flabby and unhealthy if that kind of loss continued. Stick with your instructions and it will pay off.

Also, dont forget that anybody can hang out a shingle and call themselves a nutritionist, not like a dietician. So if you find a nutritionist who will contravene your doctor's orders, you'd best be extremely suspicious about their knowledge. The industry is very much like the personal training one, there's extremely knowledgeable people out there, but its also very easy to get into back of the cornflakes box qualification type stuff, so there's really no substitute for being knowledgeable yourself.

I know exactly what you mean. I think my doctor has been the most conservative of all the post op diets I have seen. The post op diet for us was Day 1 (surgery day) was clear liquids, Day 2-3 (Full Liquids), Day 4-5 Mushies, and then we are told to resume a normal high Protein diet as soon as we can tolorate it. My surgery was Tuesday and today I have had oatmeal for Breakfast, refried Beans with melted cheese for lunch, and small pieces of well chewed chicken and green beans for dinner. Honestly, I feel great and my stomach does not feel bad or hurt in anyway. I just can't imagine how some people are required to be on the liquid post op diet for 2-4 weeks, and my doctor has us eating normal food by day 6.

I know exactly what you mean. I think my doctor has been the most conservative of all the post op diets I have seen. The post op diet for us was Day 1 (surgery day) was Clear liquids, Day 2-3 (Full Liquids), Day 4-5 Mushies, and then we are told to resume a normal high Protein diet as soon as we can tolorate it. My surgery was Tuesday and today I have had oatmeal for Breakfast, refried Beans with melted cheese for lunch, and small pieces of well chewed chicken and green Beans for dinner. Honestly, I feel great and my stomach does not feel bad or hurt in anyway. I just can't imagine how some people are required to be on the liquid post op diet for 2-4 weeks, and my doctor has us eating normal food by day 6.

I think you mean 'least' conservative :cool2:.

I was on clear liquids for 3 days, full liquids for a week, pureed starts today for a week, then soft foods for a week. Then finally real food. Now that's conservative. :thumbup:

I have my band date on Nov. 25th, and the day of surgery i'm on all clear liquides. From day two -seven it's pureed/ mushie foods, then i'm on to stage 3 foods which is no starches, breads ect...

I could not imagine doing liquides for weeks after surgery. It's hard enough drinking all these Protein Shakes for a week and a half before. But I know at the end of this I start my new journey to a healthier me.

Good luck, I agree "why are there different diets with different dr's?":confused:

Here is what I received:

Hospital Stay: Clear liquid diet

Week 1: Full liquid diet - 4ounces each meal (3-6 meals)

Week 2: Blended Diet - 4 oucnes each meal (3-6 meals)

Week 3: Soft Diet - 4-8ounces each meal (3-5 meals)

Week 4 - beyond - all foods as tolerated - amount varies (3meals)

My Doctor said it takes 6 weeks for stomache to heal - which is why he won't do a fill before then. I fully trust my doctor because he is a part of a practice that is a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery.

I got my surgery through the Kane Center in Illinois (partner with Alexian Brothers Hospital). They have a team of dieticians, nutritionists, psychologists, 4 surgeons, and physical therapists. They have you attend Dietary instruction classes, classes on the psychological side of weight loss and other classes/support groups to help with journey.

I too have seen many posts out here that describe different diets and timeframes, and as someone posted earlier, it is not about weight loss in the first 6 weeks. You may not feel if something goes wrong with your stitches or band - why chance it? You just went through major surgery and paid (insurance or not) $18,000 dollars for it. Give it time, consult with a dietician and keep positive :thumbup:

Are you kidding me! Kaiser has me on liquid for 3 days, 2 weeks on pudding, two weeks on mushies, two weeks of soft food and then food.< /p>

Hunger is getting to be an issue!

I had my band on Sept.16th 09. I agree with the different guidelines for different docs, frustrating. Heres how I went with my diet befroe and after surgery.

235 lbs. b4 2 week pre-op high Protein liquid diet.

225 lbs. Day of surgery, Water only after the surgery for 24 hours. Mushies for 2 weeks post-op. PROBLEM, pureed foods made me GAG! I mean gag like I would vomit, PAIN! I went to no carb, high Protein food (meat) cooked until it feel off the bone. I lost 12 pounds in the first 8 days of post-op.

I told the nutritionist that I see about the mushies and she said as long as I ate slowly and took my time chewing it I was good AND I lost weight.

I have only lost 1/2 pound since then because the swelling went down and ive only had one 2cc fill. I get another one on Dec. 8th. I am currently 212 pounds and happy with that I will lose more when im at my sweet spot unitl then I just watch what I eat.