Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

Another hurdle crossed, I told my mom yesterday and she was totally supportive. I was afraid that she would be super nervous about it and unsure, since she doesn't really know much about it, but all she said was "good for you, we'll (she and my hubby) give you all the support you need."

She is awesome. :willy_nilly:

Good luck to all getting banded today and to the ones that have been banded already this month...pre-op visit for me on Weds, surgery on 12/23.

-Nancy

I got the ok on Friday, and start preop diet today. Banding on the 28th. Yikes. I swear I woke up in a full panic this morning.:willy_nilly:

I've been on mine also since tuesday... and when I asked what he wanted for dinner tonight,... I got I don't care you choose...choose what .. broth? ??

Lol, that's what you should have given him....a nice big cup of chicken broth!

My hubby did apologize, he said he didn't mean it to be mean like that. He just thought since I was joking about food earlier, he thought it was ok to joke to. I was like, no, that's like me making fun about myself being fat, that don't mean you can make fun of me too! Men....lol!

I am so jealous of those you have hardly any pains or gas pains and don't need pain meds lol. I just KNEW I would be one of those people.:willy_nilly: LOL I guess everyone has a different threshold of pain.

This is my 3rd day on my pre-op diet and I have a huge headache. I had my last Coke on Friday. Could this be withdrawal? It really sucks.

HI EVERYBODY!

I am leaving for surgery in about 5 minutes! Good luck to all whom are having surgery today! my ride is here gotta go!

My wife and I are both getting banded on the same day... Dec. 19th.

Day 3 of the pre-op diet... 3 lbs. lost so far.

This morning I called my surgery center because I hadn't heard from them yet about the last minute "to do's." They didn't even have me scheduled! I gave them my information and they said they'd call my surgeon. The lady on the phone didn't act like it would be a problem with having it done Thursday, but boy, I'm not too happy about this.

ETA: I did speak with my surgeon's office and they had faxed the information to them, but the surgery center just couldn't find it, I guess. However, that whole day is blocked out for my surgeon, so I'm still scheduled. It's a really good thing I called!

Moral of story - be your own advocate and call when you think you should have been called already and follow up!

Edited by Melinco

liquid diet starts tomorrow - getting nervous about nothing but liquids for the rest of the year. lol

This is my 3rd day on my pre-op diet and I have a huge headache. I had my last Coke on Friday. Could this be withdrawal? It really sucks.

Hi, I don't have any advice, only my own story to share... I was averaging at least 20 oz. of regular soda a day, (Mt. Dew mostly)...

I'm currently on my pre-op diet, with surgery only 5 days away... caffeine and sugar are both gone for me, too... I did have a bad headache the first 24-48 hours... but, so far, it's tapered off since... and more surprisingly, I haven't craved soda that much (probably since it's not in the house)...

for me, it was always about the sugar and the flavor anyway, not the caffeine... I never drank diet soda, couldn't stand it... which is why I'm having some trouble with Crystal Light, Propel, etc... don't really like the taste of artificial sweeteners... probably will move away from that eventually, to just non-sweetened beverages... but, that's not easy, either...

keep it up, and just try and battle through the headaches... if they persist or get worse, I would ask your doctor for advice... because, normally, there should be some relief on the horizon... but, it could take up to a week or two...

my (semi-educated) guess is that your body is suffering from more than just caffeine withdrawals... your body becomes accustomed to all the other dangerous chemicals in soda, too... especially diet soda... I imagine that those could be part of the problem, but will also flush out of your system eventually... good luck!

Doodle

Moral of story - be your own advocate and call when you think you should have been called already and follow up!

I second that! When they first canceled my surgery the day of due to my sinus issues, I was told to come back in two weeks - which would have been the 18th. I spoke with the girl in the office on the 4th, confirmed (so I thought), the 18th. I needed to have my insurance approval extended, and I was really worried I wouldn't get in by the end of the year because my husbands insurance is changing Jan 1. I did not wan to start this whole thing over again with a new ins co!

I called last Wednesday just to check everything was OK with the ins - left a msg. Didn't get a call back by noon on Friday - called again. They had to "look into it and call me back". I was NOT scheduled on the 18th! She called me back at 5 minutes to five on Friday - I'm scheduled now on the 23rd. Whew! I have a suspicion that until I called last Friday I had been forgotten, and then they scrambled to get me in. It pays to be persistant!

BTW - Karyna - can you udpate my surg date to the 23rd? Merry Christmas to me! :thumbup:

Hello all. Regarding the bad tasting Protein Drinks and supplements for the pre op and some post op diets; I experienced that when I bought into Medfast. Wow, that stuff makes you want to gag. I read on this forum about other examples of similar products that are just horrible to take. I remember way back when how good Optifast tasted. If you are not familiar with this it is premised on the high Protein, low cal, low carb principle. Of course obviously I didn’t sustain the weight loss or else why this ha ha? Well Optifast is hard to get without entering an expensive Dr. supervised program. There are, however, online alternatives. It and other similar products can be bought with permission from your doctor. I chose one called Nutrimed that gives me 75gm of protein/day. It tastes okay and is an Optifast clone for less money. I get it from North Star Weigh loss.com. They are wonderful to work with and have other bariatric products. I am on day 3 of the pre-op diet and at least now I am eager for the next drink instead of dreading it. So you folks who were scheduled for surgery on Dec. 2 and 3, how ya doin’??

Greetings fellow bandsters and bandsters-in-waiting,

I had surgery on Dec. 2 and am feeling great. The gas pains only lasted a couple of days and the only pain i've really had is sometimes when I bend over. Dr. said it was nerve fibers that had been severed when an instrument passed thru the muscle. Much better now. I have no restriction, you could probably drive an 18 wheeler thru my stomach. I'm doing mushies currently but no doubt could snarf down large amounts of food if I were so inclined. NOT! I look forward to getting a fill on 1/14.

I've lost around 20 pounds, feel great, my pathetic knees no longer hurt, my blood pressure decreased, and have gobs of energy. I'm really glad I did this. However, I can see that this is not going to be a quick process. Just tryin to go with the flow and enjoy the journey.

Hi Abby ! I'm being banded on Dec. 21st too! I agree that it is totally sucking that this pre-op diet doesn't make you lose more weight- this has been a long week and we have one more week to go ! Good luck !

My surgery is Thursday. My last diet pepsi will be Wednesday. I am not giving those up until I absolutely have to! lol

I figure, most food I will eventually be able to eat again, even if in very small quantities. However, I will not be drinking diet pepsi again. As a self pay, I do not want to do anything that could jack this band up.

So until I have to stop eating/drinking anything on Wednesday evening, I will be drinking my diet pepsis!

Anyone being a rebel like me??