Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

I didn't realize my idea of a small bite and my band's might not be the same. I don't know if I never learned to really really change my way of eating because it was my 4th fill before I felt anything, but I am going to do better from here on out. Thanks again to everyone who was concerned about me.

I can soooo relate to that. Back to the basics, Kryssa. You can do this! And I'm also extra tight at that time of the month. Sometimes it's surprising! *Ooooo...stuck?...helllooooo!* check the calendar!

Small bites are probabaly the hardest for me. I can chew for days, I can eat slow, even if my food gets cold, but there's nothing better than a big ole mouthful of yummy food! But bands don't like that, and bands rule! when it comes to eating. Small bites, slooow down, and chew to goo!!!

I think I fit in to this group! I was banded a year and 3 months ago. I've had 3 fills at 3.0 cc. I've lost 43 pounds so far but not much in a while. Count me in!

Holly

Hi, Vinesqueen,

Who do I see for this metabolic testing? I don't think that is my problem, however, I just wondered where to go.

Fellow bandsters, do you think making Protein smoothies with fruit in them is bad for losing weight? I use Protein powder with 25mg Protein, a small banana, and some strawberries for Breakfast. I have recently began having one for dinner. I do this because I don't have a lot of time in the morning with an hour drive to work and I get in around 7 pm at night and thought maybe eating so late is why I'm not losing. Please give me your opinion. Thanks. Karen

Hi kajen, I think the first place to start with is your regular doctor. He or she can help you. I just think we need to be more asertive and proactive. WE need to insist on answers and not be put off with a meek "I'll try to do better."

I think htat if you don't have time to eat, a protien shake is a good idea.

Hello to all you slow losers. My name is Dawn and this is my first time posting. I havent checked this site for some time because I was a little confused. I wanted to do a live chat and couldnt find anyone online. Ihad my surgery on 8-5-05. Starting weight 408 lbs. I was at 382 by my first fill which was 10 10 05 or close. I had only lost another 3lbs after the fill. Iwas totally not losing but did not know it because I was not able to weigh myself. I had to see my Dr. Dr. Shayani at Loyola, about 1 month ago because I was having some problems that my regular Dr. thought was related to my surgery. It wasnt. Dr. S stated that I wasnt losing because I am not exercising which I cant at this point. Anyway, I am going to have another fill soon, but in the meantime I have gone on the Nutrisystem program and I am down to 367 in only 2 weeks. Anyone want to comment? Dawndreamer

Hi all! Gosh, I haven't been on here for a while! I really missed you all. I want to join the slow losers club - I do believe I qualify! Only 43 pounds in just about 10 months.

Had another fill last week and my surgeon who I love, and dreaded seeing told me he wants to see me in 2 months. He also said if I don't lose a significant amount by then he's going to "sew my band closed" and my lips!

I know what my problem is - I haven't been exercising, I haven't been following the rules of banding, I've been working 12-14 hours a day and to top EVERYTHING off, I pretty sure I'm going through menopause. I have hot flashes, tired all the time, and about 6 of the other symptoms. UUGGHH!

Please help - need support and a kick in the you know what!

Hi Laura, nice to see you again! 43 pound in 10 months insn't anything to sneeze at. I still brush at 30 pounds loss since March. How are your other measurements coming? How many sizes have you lost?

Hello Dawndreamer, I don't quite know what to say, other than I think some people really benifit from a regimented program, so it might be that the combination of the program and the band are working well for you. I understand about not being able to excersize and I know it's hard watching folks who all they have to do is get banded lose weight.

Hi Holly, yeah, I think you qualify as a member of the Turtle tribe.

So, your first assignment, your initiation if you will, is to start your very own list to Track your NSVs, your non-scale victories.

Hi Vines! Measurements are good - lost 9 inches in my bust, 10 in my waist and 11 in my hips. Down from a 26/28 to a 18/20. I feel like I lost more than 43 but the scale doesn't lie. I can't even say it's muscle because I haven't been working out!

That's changing tomorrow, getting my bag packed for the gym tomorrow. NO EXCUSES! I'm leaving work at 5 and going straight to the gym. Root me on! Laura

Dr. S stated that I wasnt losing because I am not exercising which I cant at this point. Anyway, I am going to have another fill soon, but in the meantime I have gone on the Nutrisystem program and I am down to 367 in only 2 weeks. Anyone want to comment? Dawndreamer

Hang in there, Dawn, you'll get it! One thing I have realized is that no matter what "diet" you do, the band makes it possible to follow it week after week after month. I'd always fizzle out before and gain the weight back. Now, if I fizzle out (such as counting points for WW or whatever) my band keeps me in check and my weight loss is waiting for me when I'm ready. I'm not back at square one! So take advantage of Nutrisystems, or whatever! till you get to the point where you can exercise a bit easier. And remember...ANYTHING you do extra is exercise. Park farther away, walk to get the mail instead of stopping from the car, just take a stroll as the days get a bit longer. You have lost a whopping 41 pounds since August! I think that's excellent! Welcome to LBT. You'll get the hang of this board in no time. Just keep checking back.

Hey Laura...Feel2Young2B40! I remember you! Good to see you! Menopause?! Really?!!!!! Get to that gym and build some good muscles! You go girl!.

I might be the lowest loser. Had band placed in April 2003 lost 58 lbs by Oct 2004 then nothing until 10 lbs May 2005. Nothing since. :help:

I might be the lowest loser. Had band placed in April 2003 lost 58 lbs by Oct 2004 then nothing until 10 lbs May 2005. Nothing since. :help:

This is a ballpark, but at 68 pounds in 95 weeks (guess?) that's .7 pounds per week. Yup, you qualify. Not the lowest loser, but still an official Turtle. Start that NSV list.

I had the lap band July 24 2005. I have only lost 18 lbs. I have been filled to very fullest. They actually took some out and now it feels like I have no Restriction. I am going back tomorrow to try just a little bit more.. Ohh! I forgot to mention. I work out 4-5 days a week and still haven't lost any weight. The Nurse keeps saying what are we going to do with you..

I have only lost a small amount of weight. I was banded on april 16, 2004. I can eat A LOT! I'm embarrassed to go back for a fill as I've gained like 25 pounds back! :phanvan

weight.png

Robin, I'm so sorry! You need that fill. If it is going to help you lose the weight you need to lose, then some momentary embarassment shouldn't even a factor.

We have to do a lot of things that are embarassing, but in the long run, I think they make us stronger. But you know what? Now that you've joined LBT, you always have the strength and support of all of us, and especially the Turtle Tribe.

When you make your appointment today, and you will make that appointment, picture all of us standing around you cheering you on. 'Cause that's what we will be doing.

Now, if you need another day to make that appointment, well, then you need that extra day, you know, to get used to the idea. But we will be here for you tomorrow too. And the day after that. Well, you get the idea.

Hey Bigmamma, welcome to our little tribe.

Wow, you are working out that much and still not losing? Okay, two seperate things for you to do, first off.

You need to figure out what your body fat percentage is, your FFM. This will help you figure out what your true goal weight is. If you've been working out that much, then you have converted fat pounds to muscle pounds. Our Pat (nanaharly) has gained 26 muscle pounds since she's started. I know she was really upset because the scales weren't moving, but then she found out why they weren't moving. Party!

It's possible that you are not getting enough calories for your weight loss, you are a friggin athelete! WOOT! And atheletes need more food than someone like me, who's currently basically on bed rest. (but I still have to go to class).

And then the final thing, and this is required of all members of the Turtle Tribe, you have to start you NSV, you non-scale victory list. It doesn't matter if you post them, but we strongly encourage you to post so everyone can Celebrate our successes. I firmly believe that the NSV list is one of the most important things that comes from our journey

So cheers, and welcome.