Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

Yeah, it would be nice if I could find a place to do the metabolic testing. I had my surgery at NEMC, does anyone know if they do that there and if they do, who do I contact?

Cathy

Hi Cathy, WHY is exactly what I started to demand and answer to in November. I started to question my non-loss in July, which would have been 4 months after banding. It Just didn't make sense, maybe losing one pound in a month?!

I started to get the "you need more fill" or "you must be eating around the band" answers to my questions but those were not the right ansers for me. I started to develop an eating disorder, something related to anorexia. I figure I was the fatest anorexic on the planet, since I went to sub 700 calories on many days for the better part of a month (I was too tight). And I lost 1.5 pounds in a month.

So I started to DEMAND an answer. I took a lot of flack from it, NOT ON LBT, but on a different board, where I was trying to see if anyone there had an answer for me. (lesson learned: don't go anywhere but LBT.)

I'm really pushing all Turtles to go see their doctors and demand answers.

Contact your doctor. If your band surgeon is not any help, talk to your PCP. Bring all your journals, you food journals and your stat trackers (weight and inches lost) so she can see exactly what is going on. If you doctor if baffled, like mine was, ask for referals. Ask to see an Endocrinologist, ask for that referal.

You know, I went to see my pcp the first week of Feb. and had asked to have my thyroid levels checked again. I really didn't appreciate the endocronoligist I did have...when I went to see her back in July she was upset that I hadn't lost a lot of weight since I'd seen her six months before. Whenever I went to see her she seemed like she was getting more and more ticked off with me because I just wasn't losing any weight. The last time in July my husband told her off because I'd been speechless. I couldn't believe she was so rude. My husband let her know just how hard I was working at losing weight. Her misconception was that I'd gotten the bypass instead of the band and she thought, wrongly, that you could lose as quickly with the band as well as with the bypass. So, needless to say, I just don't want her as a doctor anymore. When I went to see my pcp I asked to be referred to a new doctor. I have an appt. with this person on the 13th. As for my thyroid levels they were showing that I was at a 4, an underactive thyroid. So, when I go to see my new endo. doc I will have my levels checked again to see if my new meds are working (was brought up to 150 mcg levoxyl). I think I will ask her if she can recommend someone who can test my metabolic rate. You would think if anyone should know it would be an endocronologist, yes? I hope so. Anyway, this is a great thread here. It's like you said Vine, some other message boards aren't supportive for slow losers. It's too bad. I'm glad I found this. After I vented this morning, I was already feeling a little better. I'm sure I'll have my down days, but having the ability to come to this message board is great..it'll help keep me filled with hope. Oh, I don't think I mentioned that my surgeon said that as a last resort I could have a conversion to the bypass. That, quite frankly, scares me to death. I don't want to even think about that. Back in 2002 I had started this process in Worcester, MA through UMass Memorial. Went to the first meeting and was scared out of my wits...I just couldn't conceive having my innards rearranged. God willing I will be able to have some weight loss this year...So all, thank you for 'listening' to me. Have a good night!!

Cathy

I am afraid that lots of "failed" bandsters are being converted to a bypass when something else is going on. If the band doesn't work, then soemthing else is wrong, and needs to be address.

The only tool surgeons are comfortable with is the knife.

I am afraid that lots of "failed" bandsters are being converted to a bypass when something else is going on. If the band doesn't work, then soemthing else is wrong, and needs to be address.

The only tool surgeons are comfortable with is the knife.

God, isn't that the truth. I was whining to my surgeon/fill doc last week about losing 1/2 a lb a week and he said he could convert me to bypass. I told him no thanks, I'd rather have the switch (he doesn't do that one), he said no way should I or anyone ever even consider it. <sigh>

He did give me a bigger fill this time though. I'm almost there! I can see it: restriction and lack of hunger, like a light at the end of a tunnel. I actually felt it for 2 days until the swelling went down after my fill. Just a bit more...next fill scheduled for 3/21.

I've been watching this thread for a while, this is where I belong. My surgery was back on May 13,2005 I've lost 35 pounds. Most of my lack of weight loss is my own doing. Some backround information: after my surgery I was so hungry, I struggled through the three weeks of the after surgery diet but I stuck to it, then I had my first fill around 5 weeks after my surgery, I had it early due to no restriction and being so hungry I was filled to 2.0 in a 4.0 band, within the next five weeks I had another two fills totaling 3.0 I still felt hungry but I lost a majority of my weight due to everything getting stuck, so I couldn't eat that much I finally had .2 taken out = 2.8 thats where I'm at today, sometimes food gets stuck but not as often. The way I feel now is I feel like I don't even have the band, the only reminder is the occasional food getting stuck I eat as much as I did before the band, If I eat Protein first then vegi's and so on, I am hungry about 2 hours later so I've now lost the will to even try to lose weight I feel like I need to find another fad diet. Does anyone else out there feel somewhat this way? How do you find the will to start trying again? I felt so alone until this thread, if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Hey Tracy,

I'm sorry it's so frustrating for you. I'd suggest getting another fill. A small one. If you haven't already, then try to really take your time eating. I think one of the hardest things I've learned is to chew the food til it's pulp and since my last fill, on Feb. 23rd, I've had to take my time. With meat, I have to chew, chew, chew and chew some more, but I'm finding, that with a high Protein meal, I am not hungry until about 5-6 hours later. If it's light on the protein...say like for oatmeal, I get hungry two to three hours later. So, I'm trying to eat solid protein to help with the hunger issues. The head hunger, now that is another story. I'd gotten back into the habit of eating after supper...around 8 or 9, sometimes as late as 10 p.m. I'm not really hungry, I just have this need to chew on something. I'm struggling with that big time. I've also been battling with my sweet tooth. It's the time of the month which is the biggest time for me to have my sweet tooth. So, instead of trying to fight my way through it, I bought some peppermint patties. They are real sweet, but low in calories and fat. Because I can't eat alot of them without feeling sick, this is perfect for me. I would try eating a piece of fruit, but I've been having a hard time with those going down..especially apples. Also, tonight, for the first time, I had a hot cup of lemon tea (any hot beverage will do I think) and it actually helped me get those first few bites down. You could try that before you start eating your meals. I'd heard about this at some other message boards and it seems to help alot of people. I forget what they call it...oh, maybe, first bite syndrome? Anyway...try that. I hope it works for you and really, I think you need another fill. Best of everything for you Tracy. I'm glad to have come on this board too. I think it's really lifted my spirits, knowing I'm not alone in my struggles. Take care and have a good night. :)

Cathy

Thanks Cathy for the nice words and a reminder to what I can possibly do to help myself. I'm going to keep reading this thread to keep myself thinking positive.

No problem Tracy. That's what I, and everyone else are here for. To support one another. I wonder sometimes, with the premise that 'there's a purpose for everything' why I have to deal with a weight issue. With all the psychological issues that goes with being overweight in our society. Why am I having to deal with a slow weight loss instead of being able to lose quickly like some of our fellow bandsters? I still don't have an answer to that, but I'm confident that there is one. It could be a very personal reason...maybe I need to learn something or it'll lead me to a place in my life that will bring me happiness or greater enlightenment or something like that. It could also be that I'm meant, like so many of you here, are meant to help other people in their struggles. That we are part of a greater light...not just a single match in the darkness kind of thing. There are so many things we could be dealing with..I'd hate to have to deal with poverty...I'd love to own a house of my own...I would be lost if I had to deal with my life being taken apart like those who dealt with Katrina or those who lost everthing in those tsunamis or those who dealt with 9/11 on a very personal level or even those who've lost loved ones overseas with the war in Iraq. I'm blessed I guess...and sometimes I forget that when I have to deal with this weight loss stuff. I'm not trying to give a sermon. I'm sorry if anyone believes that. I just read this inspirational thing about a disabled boy who was given the chance to play a simple game of baseball. It was emotional and well, I'm PMS'ing which makes me emotional. But, there are days when my/our struggle to live a life in which we aren't different, where we are accepted for who we are and not what we look like, where we feel healthy and feel completely happy...those days don't seem like they are just a pipe dream. As selfish as that sounds, it is a very real thing in our world. Having this message board thread is a very real light at the end of a dark tunnel. I know, that like many of you, we went into this wl journey completely filled with hope and excitement. That we started a new life and that we will finally be in a place where we are accepted instead of ridiculed and made fun of. I have always had people in my life who love me completely and who support me totally but I've experienced those who judge me as someone who isn't very smart and lazy and I've lost out on jobs because I didn't look the part. I deal with it, but again, this message board was a blessing...I was in a place that was starting to get real dark and I can't say it enough...Thank you all for being her for me!!! Okay...I'll shut up now...you can take your hands off of your ears :lalala: :) I guess since I'm so emotional I needed to say that whoever started this thread is an angel and "thank you". Night all!! (fyi, I'll try to stay off the soap box from now on, I promise!) :)

Cathy

Ok Cathy so you made me tear up I don't think I'm pmsing, it makes sence what your saying and I do forget how lucky I am sometimes I just need to be reminded sometimes. Thanks again!

Mmmmmmm not good :) Gained 1/2 lb - only lost 2 inches after killing myself at Curves for a month - I understand that 1/2lb could be muscle, but still not changing sizes.

Then I got a bad yeast infection and a cold at the same time which has prevented me from working out for the last 2 weeks so I'm sure the last 2 weeks of doing nothing has counteracted the 5 weeks of killing myself and here I am back to square one - not losing any weight on my own - and I don't know if I should find a regular Dr. to do a metabolic workup on me since my insurance doesn't cover my bariatric Dr. or if I should go to the same asshole endocrinologist who put me on diet pills that didn't work 5 years ago after saying there was nothing wrong with me. There's my update in a gist. Boo hoo pity party for one please.

Hi all,

I'm new and just found this site. I'm having my first visit to talk about having the lap band.

This thread is scaring me .., how can it be that you aren't losing weight! From what I read you CAN't eat the wrong foods because you only have but so much room in your tummy and you NEED the healthy foods like Protein and veggies to avoid malnutrient.

Can someone clarify for me??? I don't want to breal down and get the real gastric bypass where they cut you etc.. but I want to lose weight.

Thanks in advance! Bella