Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

Guest Suzie72

Thank you Kathy for the support. I just feel hopeless sometimes. I have another appointment on 2/14 fo the next fill. Hopefully it will help. I will do some research and find out more about the type of band I have I think it is a VG. I will let you know. Thanks again for the support!

Guest Em&MsMom

Slow loser here. Banded in February 05. I'm down a whole whopping 35lbs.

Stacy

219/184/130 (will I ever get there?)

Hi Stacy! Yeah, I think that qualifies, but I'm not in charge of anything :)

Hmmm, is 130 pounds a reasonable goal? I only ask because I personally have more muscle mass than that. My frail 94 year old grandmother, who is stick thin, weights 137 pounds. (we apperently have the density of ununbium)

Guest Em&MsMom

Hmmm, is 130 pounds a reasonable goal?

Hi there!

Well, I'm only 5'3 and have small frame (under all this fluff =)

I'll be ecstatic to hit 150 and maintain it....but my Dr. has agreed that 130 is a reasonable goal.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Welcome Joyce. Our numbers are similar. Not sure what it is that keeps folks above 175. Seems like getting below that is really tough for lots of folks. I'll be happy to get below 180, but, ya know, I was saying the exact same thing about 190 a few months ago so I'll hang on. sounds like it's time for you to get a fresh start. Eat up for a few days and cut the calorie intake big time for two weeks and see what happens. I'm talking 1200 calories or less, but not less than 1000 a day. Is that possible for you?

Hello Kathy! I am glad I am not the only one.We'll I have a appointment tomorrow with my DR. So I am not sure if I will get a fill or not.I need to start excercising again.I think that will help.What do you think? I will try the calorie thing. Do you have problems eating in the morning or does anyone have problems with it?

thanks

Joyce

Joyce,

Lots of people have problems with eating in the morning. Alot of us resort to protien shakes or some other kind of liquid Breakfast.

Exersize is always good, lots of people have luck counting calories. For me personally, my calories are always fine, if I don't snack during the day. If I stick to eating 3 or 4 times a day, I don't have to count calories to know I'm doing ok.

I am using my husbands log on. We both had this surgery 3/29/04 my husband has lost 105 lbs and I think I qualify for the slow loser group. I am only down 60 lbs. I really struggle. This is my first time to post myself. My main problem time is in the evening. I feel I like to graze all night long if I don't watch it. Any suggestions. I feel I have good restriction. I want to loose another 40 lbs. I'm restriced on my walking so I was using a Gazelle for almost 2 yr, although not as consistant as I should have. I just bought an elliptical trainer last night. WOW what a trip I really need to ease into this one.

Trish

The new issue of Consumer Reports has an interesting article on weight-loss surgery from a cost/benefit point of view. It raised a sobering statistic I've seen elsewhere, including surgical weight-loss web sites: The average bandster loses 50-65% of his or her excess weight -- meaning that someone like me, who was 100 lbs. overweight, will most likely lose 50-65 pounds. That, of course, is an average, and I'm not sure how many studies were conducted, or when, to arrive at this conclusion. This figure may now be out of date. Nevertheless, the statistics give us something to think about. They're not necessarily cause for pessimism or alarm, but they do make me think twice when I start beating myself up over not losing more weight, and faster.

Hi ! I am so glad I found this thread. I think I am definitley the slowest loser of everyone. I have been banded 2 years and only lost 50 pounds. I was 250 when I started and look pretty good at 200 pounds but I still want to loose another 50lbs. At this point I would settle for at least 20. The good thing is that the scale stays put at 200 lbs week after week. Prior to the surgery I would gain and loose every other day-it was frusterating. I will admit I am awful at dieting and not disiplined enough to follow any kind of low carb diet. I just LOVE food and always will. Now I do exercise 5 days a week-kickboxing,spinning,pilates,running, etc but the scale just hangs out at 200 lbs. Even if I skip a week of exercising and am not watching what I eat-I stay at 200 lbs. Sometimes I get discouraged and wonder why do I even exercise but I do like how I feel and I am not so jiggily-lol

Anyways I guess if I maybe was completley strict with my diet perhaps I could drop some more weight.

Oh and as for getting a tighter fill-well I am one of those that can not tolerate too much fill or else I get really bad reflux.

Caroline in San Diego

OK ok - I am so fed up with no more weight loss! Yoga and walking ain't cutting it so drum roll please...............I join Curves on Thursday which is my 1st apointment. This is a huge step as I have never belonged to a gym before in my entire life, but let me tell you what happened first.

My best friend (who is slightly overweight) joined 24 Hour Fitness and so I thought it would be the perfect time to join a gym since my weight loss has been so little. I arrive at 24 Hour Fitness and I was completely overwhelmed with what stood before me. The huge parking lot was crammed with cars but I found a parking space. I got out of the car and ran into a group of young SKINNY beautiful women nearby who were finished with their workouts so I returned to my car and pretended to grab my cell phone until they pulled out. I talked to myself about how ridiculous I had just reacted and got out of the car again - this time I made it halfway up the parking lot when I just kept seeing more SLIM & SVELT (yes I just said SVELT :) people coming and going and I once again felt this overwhelming anxiety and returned yet once again to my car to calm down. I thought to myself this is completely ridiculous - I did not drive all this way just to chicken out. 3RD attempt - this time I made it all the way close to the front glass doors where I could see inside the massive warehouse type gym with hundreds and hundreds of machines and tons of people inside working out. The place was packed! I freaked out again and pretended to pat my pockets down like I again forgot something in the car. This time I said screw it - if I feel sooo uncomfortable and intimidated that I can't even get the courage up to walk inside and inquire about membership - how in the world was I expecting to return and do this 3-4 times a week! I knew if I chose this gym it would be a lost cause as I was dang nearing a panic attack upon entering the doors!

I thought damnit I want to join a gym and do something about my pretty non-existent weight loss and that was what I had set out to do that evening. So I called information and got the number to the closest Curves near me and drove my sweet lil Camaro right on over. I walked in to find only 1 woman working out and 1 staff member at the front desk. It felt like a breath of fresh air as soon as I walked in. I knew this was something I could do. I even told the Curves staff my ordeal I just went through and she was very understanding and welcomed me with open arms. So I set my first evaluation where they measure you & show you how to do everything on Thursday.............please God let this be the answer I've been needing.

Smooch, you will LOVE Curves. I want to go back so bad. I'm trying to figure out how. I miss it. I miss the strength I gained. I miss seeing the girls there...when you go regularly you see the same folks alot...it's great. I quit when I joined a gym with child care, and I needed more cardio than I was getting at Curves and I WASN'T doing ANY Cardio on my own on dyas when I didn't go to Curves. I was ready for aerobics classes. Anyhoo...good job. You'll love it and make it a fun place for the others to be, too!

You'll love it and make it a fun place for the others to be, too!

Thank you! I hadn't thought of that perspective - I will take that positive thought with me into my workouts - I'm actually kind of excited about this!

Oh Excellent work candy Baby! I know it can be really intimidating to deal with people when we are vulnerable. And yet you faced your fears and moved on.