Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

I'm actually very excited when someone doesn't meet our strict membership guidlines, because it means that they are actually doing really, really well.

Jorjet, I know how very hard it is to watch some of our superstars, our rabbits who lose twice as much as we do. There are days and weeks where I absoluetly resent the success of our dear sisters and brothers who have lost SEVEN times what I've lost. You've lost a meer 4 times what I've lost in the same amount of time.

And that is very exciting. But depressing at the same time.

I am new to this forum, I am considering the surgery and like to know as much as I can. I am concerned about whether my insurance Aetna Open Choice will cover it. My other concern is reading about the very slow weight loss.

Happy Holidays everybody...mafifi

I was so happy to find this thread. I thought I was the only one! I had surgery 10 weeks ago and I have lost 3 pounds. I'd like to join your group too - you guys give me hope. After reading your posts I realize I'm not abnormal, I'm just a bit of a "turtle".

Hi, everyone i won't to know why is it going so slowly.:)

Banded 11/08/2005 286.

12/19/2005 257.4 :rambo

Betje -

Are you serious?? You've lost 30 pounds in less than 6 weeks. It took me 9 months to lose that much weight.

You are averaging over 5 pounds a week. What, exactly, were you expecting to lose?

Congratulations - you are far, far from being a slow loser. You are a super star rabbit.

Enjoy your success and start to keep track of your NSV's.

Good Luck to you.

The scale moved! A whole 3 lbs this week! It's still only a total of 6 lbs. in 11 1/2 weeks, but I'm so happy I could cry.

Anybody else making new year's resolutions? I'm for sure not going to do the "lose XX lbs. in the next year", that is setting the stage for failure. My resolution is to go to the gym 2 - 3 times a week, every week. I've got to do something about my super slow metabolism; I'm hoping consistant (as opposed to erratic, like now) exercise is the answer.

Kryssa, you may end up graduating pretty quickly here! Good job! I got a piece of exercise advice from a skinny person and she said "I try to exercise every day except Sunday. That way, if I miss one or two days, I'm still exercising 4-5 days a week, or maybe only 3 days a week! But that's more than I would have shooting for 3 days a week, missing two of those, and only ending up with once a week...or none!" Maybe that tweak in thinking will help you. I'm about to up the exercise, too, so I plan to do something for 30 min every day (but Sunday) and if being bad means missing 3 days, I'm still good for the 3 other days, right? I hope it works for me. Man, diet and exercise is a real mind game. Good luck! You are doing great!

Guest annette b

Hi I live in the UK and had my band fitted in March 2005 and like you feel there is somthing wrong with my band, I feel that this happened just after my operation I think the Bad slipped or somthing, Im very dishartened about the whole problem and wish that I had had a Gastric Bypass instead of the Band. I have put weight on and not taken it off whT SOVER i LOST 7LBS At the beginning and remember that the Surgeon said to me I was a hard person to operate on, I dont know about you but I have 2-3 inch in length scar which should have been under the breast bone, but is lower than the breast bone by about a good half an inch lower. I also have 6 other lacerations to my body as the surgeon said he need to cut further into my body as i was difficult. There was another lady from the UK who went under the knife and returned form Theatre without having the operation done whatsoever.

Sorry to bore you with my problems, and I would quite understand if you did not reply as I dont know you personally but I was wondering if you may have any advice for me or any other person on this web site who might be able to help me as to what to do. Do you know of any person who has sued the doctors or medical Authority for not proforming this surgery correctly.

Here is hoping you maybe able to help

Annette Boon

UK West of England

Sorry to bore you with my problems, and I would quite understand if you did not reply as I dont know you personally but I was wondering if you may have any advice for me or any other person on this web site who might be able to help me as to what to do. Do you know of any person who has sued the doctors or medical Authority for not proforming this surgery correctly.

Here is hoping you maybe able to help

Annette Boon

UK West of England

Okay Annette, hold on fro a sec...let's see if we can make sure your doc is guilty of wrongdoing here. At the very least he's not very informative or supportive, but that's not suit-worthy.

Have you had a fill under flouroscopy? If the doc is having you swallow contrast Fluid and watches is fill the pouch, drain down through the band, and fills at the same time, he would be able to see if the shape of your pouch and the placement of the band is correct.

How and what are you eating? Do you have any restriction at all? What size is your band?

Give us some more info and maybe we can direct you. It's possible all you need to do is make some changes to get the most of your band. Looking forward to hearing back!

What do you have to do to qualify for this group. I sure feel like I belong - banded 9/8/05 and only lost 30 pounds.

You have been banded for about 17 weeks and have lost 30 pounds, which is perfectly respectable, right on target for 2 pound a week average weight loss, and nope, you don't qualify to be an official slow loser, who is someone who has lost less than 1 pound per week. However, feel free to join us here for support and great ideas for weight loss. We are a nice bunch, we just share some frustrations about our slow weight loss and are happy to encourage others.

Read this thread from the beginning and see what questions or comments pop up. 30 pounds since Sept is great! I was banded in April and have lost about 35 pounds, if that makes you feel any better. :D Welcome!

Kryssa, you may end up graduating pretty quickly here! Good job!

Oh, how I wish! I've lost 3 lbs. twice in 12 weeks. It seems to go that way for me...nothing for 4-5 weeks then I lose a couple of lbs in a day.

Anyone else wish they hadn't calculated the length of time it should have taken to become thin? I did it: Excess weight divided by 1.5 lbs a week = (in my case) 84 weeks. Except I'm only losing an average of 1/2 lb. a week, so make that 252 weeks, almost 5 years...:phanvan I am really really trying to be ok with that, but I'm not to that point yet.

I was just re-reading this thread. In the fourteen weeks since I was rejected, I have lost 5 pounds. That must be why I'm so bummed out. But I am watching what I eat (not being perfect though) and generally exercising 4-6 days per week for 50+ minutes. I am guessing that I have hit a tough plateau and don't know how to get out of it.

I'm going on vacation in 11 days and I really wanted to be the weight on my signature again but alas, its not to be. I'm only over a couple of pounds but they sure seem to want to stay - good friends I guess. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent. Celeste

Oh, how I wish! I've lost 3 lbs. twice in 12 weeks. It seems to go that way for me...nothing for 4-5 weeks then I lose a couple of lbs in a day.

Anyone else wish they hadn't calculated the length of time it should have taken to become thin? I did it: Excess weight divided by 1.5 lbs a week = (in my case) 84 weeks. Except I'm only losing an average of 1/2 lb. a week, so make that 252 weeks, almost 5 years...:phanvan I am really really trying to be ok with that, but I'm not to that point yet.

I do the same thing, sneak down there, up and down and up and down. Which all adds up to alot of nothing.

Okay, at 1/2 pound per week, it will take me 84 weeks to get to 145. That's about a year and a half. Blech.

Have you started your NSV list yet?