Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i'm bandednow..and inPAIN! Hiatal Hernia anyone???

Ok.. I was told that during surgery My dr. noticed my hiatal hernia..and he went ahead and fixed it. Did anyone go through this? I am in so much pain. I don't know everyone mentions they were not in pain.. I am i in pain because of the hernia surgery as well? MY whole chest hurts.... I am getting tired of sleeping on my back! I am sleeping reclining.. but ugh my back..

I got banded yesterday 7-20-09...

would love to hear from you if you had a hiatal hernia..

:smile:

I did and had pain too. Mine was mostly intermittent pain that would travel from my abdominal area up my esophagus (the center of my chest). Due to Lap Band surgery we get a lot of gas and due to hernia repair, belching can be painful or impossible. For me, it was impossible which lead to excrutiating pain. Each episode would last a few seconds. I also had shortness of breath related to the hernia repair. I couldn't walk across the room or speak a whole sentence without getting winded. All of this lasted a week and 1/2

Otherwise I had incision pain which would pretty much be the same with or without the hernia repair. I had to sleep propped up for nearly two weeks. Bending and getting up from the sitting or lying positions was painful for about the same amount of time.

I was banded on 7/7 and i stayed in bed for first 5 days. I had a hernia repair also. I didnt realize that I would be in that much pain and sore. I could not sit up for no more than a few minutes. I actually felt better lying down. I would get up a couple of times to try to sip some gatorade but I felt like crap. On the 5th day, I began to feel like myself but still sore and walking very slowly. I am 2 weeks out and just in the last few days have began to feel "normal." Hang in there, it does get better.

Hi, I am 3 weeks out today and I also had a hiatal hernia that was repaired. I also had chest pain on and off for about 2 weeks. It really does get better. Best thing you can do is walk each day to work out the gas pain that can last up to several weeks ( if your doc allows excercise ). Also I put the Protein powder and made Jello pudding with them. It reallly has helped getting the Protein down. ( If your nutrionalist allows that on your diet ). The best thing I can say is listen to your body rest when it needs to; never hesitate to call your doctor for any reason; excercise slowly; and relax it will get better I promise. Enjoy the ride to a new healither you!

Banded: 06/30/09 CMC Dr. Connie Campbellweight.png

Kat.....I have one and I am also having it repaired. I didn't like hearing about the pain.... : ( I hope you are feeling better soon!

Hi, I was banded 6/30/09 and I had a hiatal hernia repair too. It was very painful. I had a c-section and was told the lap band was nothing compared to that, well I think with the hernia repair it was worse than my c-section! I couldn't take a deep breath for probably a week and sometimes I couldn't catch my breath. I couldn't sleep in bed the first few days, I slept on a recliner. It does get better but yes very painful. You will get better too, don't worry!

I did and had pain too. Mine was mostly intermittent pain that would travel from my abdominal area up my esophagus (the center of my chest). Due to Lap Band surgery we get a lot of gas and due to hernia repair, belching can be painful or impossible. For me, it was impossible which lead to excrutiating pain. Each episode would last a few seconds. I also had shortness of breath related to the hernia repair. I couldn't walk across the room or speak a whole sentence without getting winded. All of this lasted a week and 1/2

Otherwise I had incision pain which would pretty much be the same with or without the hernia repair. I had to sleep propped up for nearly two weeks. Bending and getting up from the sitting or lying positions was painful for about the same amount of time.

Ditto neighbor. Thankfully my "burp spasms" ended last week. I guess I just needed to let the hernia sutures "loosen up" a bit? I'm now able to burp without pain. I had the trouble breathing deep for a few days, and then the spasms. I would take a combo of xanax and lortab and would relax the spasms and me (since they were painful and freakin' me out!). The pain (for me) was bad enough to make me regret having surgery! You never believe it while it's happening to you but it will get better! Try to walk or get out. I did circles in my house just to move some.

Also, the surgeon told my husband that I may not even notice the hernia repair. I think if you have suffered with the hernia prior to surgery, you just may well feel great after it's repaired. I didn't know I had one and wasn't suffering other than controlled heartburn.

My midsection muscle soreness went away last Wednesday. My only pain now is incision tenderness. Other than that, I don't feel like I've really had anything done to me. :thumbup: I'm able to sleep on my belly just fine too for the last few days.

I was banded March 27, 09. I too had a very large hernia which was repaired. I never had any trouble with it prior to the surgery. I was in so much pain after the surgery in the recovery room, I thought I was going to die. I had to wait on my surgeon to get out of another surgery so that he could come in and take out some of the fill, which once he did I was a lot better. It took me only about 3 days to feel better. Take the pain medicine as that did help me alot. I did get up and walk as much as possible.

I had surgery on 7/20 as well and am in excruciating pain. Nothing seems to bring relief..not even my pain meds. I hope this gets better soon. I am very dishearthened by the pain.

Oh no... I am having my surgery next week and I too will be having my hernia repaired. All this pain everyone is talking about is really scaring me:scared2::thumbup:... I was hoping for a fast and smooth recovery.... I am going to ask the doc for some really strong pain meds....

My surgery was July 13. I am a nurse so I thought I would have a better knowledge of what to expect. WRONG! I too had a hiatal hernia. I had tons of gas which has given me more pain than the actual surgery. I found that Phazyme gas pills have the most medicine in each pill and they are tiny. You only take them twice daily. I had been using Gas X and found they didn't have much med in them.

Do remember to take deep breaths to expand your lungs. It will hurt but the alternative is pneumonia. I was very close since I developed Fluid in the bottom of my lungs. I had to cough to clear this. That was total pain. I still have shoulder pain from the gas but it is getting better.

Take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. There are many more who are feeling your same pain.

Best wishes to you.

I didn't know I had a Hiatal Hernia until my doctor told me during my pre-op interview. He could tell by looking at me. I had the 2 for 1 surgery July 16th and I am not having any pain in that region. My lport incision and the lower left incision is sore, but mildly. So I guess I am lucky. I can really see the difference as of today, that big bulge is gone. I remember when it appeared a year ago. Overnight I woke up with a bulge. I told my doctor who just said hormones and too much eating was the culprit. So that seemed reasonable. Its so exciting to see it gone!

I had my surgery on 7/10 and also had to have the hernia repair at the same time. I didn't know about it either until he found it during surgery. They never mentioned anything about it when I left the hospital, just gave me pain meds--thank goodness!! They didn't help a whole lot but at least when I took them they knocked me out for awhile. I had terrible pain also. My chest area and all the gas was horrible! I have the three little tiny incisions and one on the left bottom side is about 5" long. It is very painful still and hasn't healed up. They gave me the incentive spirometer (can't spell!) to use and it was hard to do with the pain. I've slept in the recliner since my surgery and only slept in the bed for the first time yesterday and I had to sleep in the bed because my tail bone is so sore ( I had a cyst on my tailbone years ago) I can't use the recliner anymore! I only managed to sleep a few hours in the bed because I was getting very sick at my stomach and trying to throw up. I hope this gets better.

Don't worry though, the gas does get lots better. I still have it a little and of course certain foods can make it worse but it is tremendously better. I agree with Emmy Lou, I was having the same regrets about the surgery. We just need to hang in there, I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end.

For the ones that are having surgery, I'm sorry if we're scaring you but maybe you'll be better prepared for the pain. No one told me anything and I wish someone would have so I'd have known what to expect. Maybe it'll be better for y'all.

I agree mbranham0606, I wish I had been better informed about the pain before hand. It is better to be informed. No need to fear it though,with pain meds it is all manageable pain and it doesn't last forever.

I was told pre-op that I may have a hiatal hernia and if so they would fix it. I asked about recovery from that and was told that if it had to be repaired, it would be simple, I would be open longer thus more gas in the abdominal cavity thus more shoulder pain but was not warned of any other difficulties.

I was released without ever being told that a hernia repair was done so I didn't think much of it until I realized that I couldn't draw in enough air to walk accross the room. It was like someone was sitting on my stomach and I couldn't pull in air. The stitches are in your diaphragm which is the muscle you use to breath so for some it can get very weak. I called the after hours emergency number and that is when I was told about the hernia repair.

The sholder pain, which was all that they warned me about, was actually not very bad with my Lap Band/Hernia operation but I recently had my gall bladder out which took over three hours and the shoulder pain after that was excrutiating!

Thanks y'all for all the information. I wasn't even told what to expect after surgery.... How to care for wounds etc or anything.

I hurts when i breathe... my throat is very sore. neck is sore as well. When i breathe a bit toomuch i feel a sharp pain under my left breast.

I too have a bulge in my tummy area. I actually weight more now then going into surgery.

I just want the pain to go away! I want to feel normal again!!! :thumbup: