Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

extremely excited but also really nervous...

hey everyone, today was my post-op appointment. my surgery is july 31st (my surgeron [i spelled that wrong didnt i?] is Dr. Hill)and I'm really nervous as i am excited. I'm really ready but sometimes i feel like im not. The fill part makes me nervous too, they don't numb it but i guess if i can get piercings and tattoos than it shouldn't be bad. I feel like I'll mess up and wont lose weight or vomit and cause my band to slip. ahh, i bought my Protein Shake packets today, what day should i start that, the 21st or the 22nd? should ask eh? Had my PT class today and the nurse is my favourite nurse shes so funny and so nice, she makes me comfortable, and she also had WLS cant exactly remember what she had think it was bypass not sure, but shes awesome, we did an exam, there was no grade and we went over them in the class and well, everyone got them correct haha, she explained everything, and it helped alot. she gave us this breathing tube and we have to use it every hour after surgery to cough? she also gave us this antiseptic/antimicrobial skin cleanser for the night before and after surgery. i have a phone interview on monday at 10 and i dont know what theyre gonna talk about, eep. the main reason im nervous/scared is because i scared of dying, i have that fear of dying on the table or when i get out, i worry too much =/...anywho i have a question, what are some strength or resistance exercises? and endurance exercises? lol sorry if thats a stupid question but the gave me a chart to follow for exercises way at the begining of my process, and i want to follow it, i was doing my own thing, but i just found out i had a chart and it will help me better with the excerising. i had another question wait no, i was gonna post something in the Protein shake part or something, the nutritionist gave some recipies for the shakes so they wont get boring, did you guys get any? she gave recipies for; chocolate shakes: Chocolate raspberry delight and chocolate coconut shake and vanilla: pumpkin pie and vinilla root beer float, if you didnt get those or if they're not in that section(if there even is a section)ask for them and ill post them on here. but yeah my most and biggest fear about this is the dying part, it scares me to death and i think thats why my dad is worried/scared about it too =/ i guess if i ever do,(which i know i wont, its just my nerves) its from a great cause, right? what can i do to calm my nerves down?...16 more days =D!! okay i need to shut up now but thanks for reading or whatnot :)

Edited by Erin18

Hey there - My surgery is on the 21st, less than a week away. I am super nervous too. Lots of nagging thoughts but not really doubts. I know that if I can loose this stupid weight I will finally be the person on the outside that I have always been on the inside. I wish I had known this at 18 - I could have fully enjoyed the last years instead of just mostly enjoyed them. You will never regret getting healthy. Just try to educate yourself and your dad as much as possible and you'll do great!

I am super excited but nervous as hell too! My surgery date is Aug. 7... coming fast! I can't wait to see the weight come off... I will finally be able to feel like I am living and not just "here". I have no quality of life right now, ahhh the most exciting thing will be too have energy and enjoy being a person!! Good luck to everyone.

Hey there, I am nervous but I think that is normal. My surgery is scheduled for July 29. I am not scared of dying (maybe b/c I have been thru about 30 surgeries all together) It can be scary but the way I always think about it is if it is my time to go I am going to go whether I am there or in a car or at my house or wherever. Just keep thinking positive and it will be ok. I think the thing that scares me the most is the liquid part of the diet and the headaches that everyone says they get. I am really nervous and so afraid that I will fail at it so it scares me. I know I have to think positive so that is what I am trying to do. Good Luck to you and quit worrying about dying. When it is over you will be like WOW why did I even worry!!!

I'm 3 days post-op and I felt everything you all are feeling. Currently I am nauseous a lot, but I know it'll go away. I haven't gotten sick...that is what I am scared of. My husband worried....my mom and dad worried.....I worried. Up until they strapped me on that table I was having second thoughts. Once they gave me the meds to relax I was out til I got into recovery. I am so excited for that day where I can walk without being tired. The first 2 days I slept a lot. I don't know if it's because my body needs the rest after surgery or if it's because I am scared to do too much. I wish you all luck with your surgeries.

My surgery is scheduled for July 21st, too and I'm really starting to feel nervous. Not about the surgery itself, but about the first two weeks of liquids. This last week, I've really been paying attention to how I eat and drink. Man, do I gulp my beverages!

I've also started having those thoughts of "Can't I do this on my own?" "Boy, is this a lot of money to spend because I couldn't do this on my own", "Oh no, I can never eat ______ again", "How is this going to affect my non-obese husband and his eating?"

I think my thoughts are based on guilt more than anything else. Guilt for not "handling" my weight in the past and guilt for finally doing something for ME.

thanks everybody, your replies make me feel better =] the coughing part kinda scares me if i haven't already said that, on a scale of 1-10 how much does it hurt? i also am very worried about nausea, the last time i actually threw up (TMI i know) was march 08, i get sick to my stomach alot and i was sick to my stomach at the PT class yesturday and at my 5 hour course on tues, but i usually dont get that unless im nervous, but i should ask for one of those Patches, so it lasts 3 days? i only get nervous before things happen and im fine after, still get one right?

well I don't know how the coughing is going to feel on this but I have had 2 c-sections and it wasn't that bad. I mean don't get me wrong it hurts but its not as bad as everyone makes it. But again I can handle pain really well b/c I have been thru heck and back but the coughing wasn't bad.

well I don't know how the coughing is going to feel on this but I have had 2 c-sections and it wasn't that bad. I mean don't get me wrong it hurts but its not as bad as everyone makes it. But again I can handle pain really well b/c I have been thru heck and back but the coughing wasn't bad.

thats good to hear

Hi! Congratulations on your decision!! I was really nervous before my surgery, too. One thing I did was to make a pro/con list and I even took it into the hospital with me, just in case I wanted the reassurance of reading it!

As it turned out, everything was just fine. The surgery really wasn't that painful (only real pain was from the gas they used, and it wasn't that horrible). And, 9 months and 50+ pounds later, I can tell you that it was completely worth it!!

I blogged about my surgery back in October and posted my pro/con list about a month ago -- feel free to check it out! (Link below.)

Best wishes to all the newbies who posted on here!! See you in Bandland! :cursing:

Catherine

BTW, I also really recommend taking your measurements now so that you have a record of your starting point. I've really enjoyed seeing how many inches I've been losing, especially when I go through a plateau.

The pro/con list was great for calming me down when I was having doubts, too. And, in retrospect, the things I was scared about turned out not to be a big deal at all. :cursing:

Catherine

BTW, I also really recommend taking your measurements now so that you have a record of your starting point. I've really enjoyed seeing how many inches I've been losing, especially when I go through a plateau.

The pro/con list was great for calming me down when I was having doubts, too. And, in retrospect, the things I was scared about turned out not to be a big deal at all. :smile:

Catherine

awesome (: i do plan on taking measurements, i dont think ill be weighing myself at home because i cant trust my scales, so the measurements will deffinately tell me im losing :rolleyes: ill just wait til i go for fills or check ups to get weighed

Erin -

Are you sure you didn't read my thoughts with your post? I started the process about 3 years ago and my fear of dying on the table stopped me from going through with the surgery. I've had another surgery since then so I know that fear is ridiciulous. I called to make my first appointment on friday and I almost called right back to cancel it. I am nervous and excited. I know everything will be ok. I am trying to stay focused.

Good Luck,

Valerie

Erin -

Are you sure you didn't read my thoughts with your post? I started the process about 3 years ago and my fear of dying on the table stopped me from going through with the surgery. I've had another surgery since then so I know that fear is ridiciulous. I called to make my first appointment on friday and I almost called right back to cancel it. I am nervous and excited. I know everything will be ok. I am trying to stay focused.

Good Luck,

Valerie

i fear that so much, im trying to stay positive. sometimes i just want to cancel it but i really dont want to cancel it, i want to lose weight now and get healthier and more energy, i tried losing weight before and it didnt work for me =/. this website helps a lotttt. the support everybody gives you is really great and a few people on here have the same fear but having them tell you you'll be fine and dont let your nerves get to you. get in control of your nerves :smile:. the more i talk about this makes me feel better and someone at the pre-op class had the same fear, and having the nurse talk to you about it makes me feel a lot less stressed or worried :rolleyes: and yes everything will be okay. think about all the things you'll be able to do after surgery when youre healed up(thats what keeps me going, i know this is going to work, makes me excited!) write a list of the things you want to do to keep you going on with the process :thumbup:

good luck to you too

<3 erin

Edited by Erin18

My surgery is scheduled for July 21st, too and I'm really starting to feel nervous. Not about the surgery itself, but about the first two weeks of liquids. This last week, I've really been paying attention to how I eat and drink. Man, do I gulp my beverages!

I've also started having those thoughts of "Can't I do this on my own?" "Boy, is this a lot of money to spend because I couldn't do this on my own", "Oh no, I can never eat ______ again", "How is this going to affect my non-obese husband and his eating?"

I think my thoughts are based on guilt more than anything else. Guilt for not "handling" my weight in the past and guilt for finally doing something for ME.

You have written everything I have been thinking!! I will be banded on Tues.I wish I could hide for 6 weeks so I am not put in a situation where I could cheat.I did not want to tell anyone and my cousins are making a long awaited visit to see my husband who is very ill.They are comming friday thats 3 days in.They want to take me to dinner.Now I have to start comming up with white lies!! I hope i am not in pain.I am Nervous!!:smile: