Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

primary doc said i was too young

As someone who's traveled down this road, I wish I had done this younger. I think its fine as long as you understand the long commit this will be-this is forever. As a future physician, I've met may other docs who just do not get the battle with obesity, probably because they have never struggled with it themselves. I would make a list of all your diet and weight loss attempts and go over them with your PCP, old one or new one, so that they know you have put in a genuine effort with just diet and exercise.

I would find a new Dr. I don't need a refferal but I did discuss it with my Dr and she is THRILLED that I have made this choice on my own and I am following through on my own even above in that I am getting regular counseling preop and postop to make this the best success that it can be. I was given Zoloft almost a month ago for anxiety... I am also hypothyroid too... Once the thyroid meds were evened out I have not lost anything but I am stable, now with the Zoloft I have lost 8 lb... it really kills the appetite it is true. HOWEVER I do not plan on being on meds for a long time and what happens the second I stop taking them... most likely blow back up, and beyond just like any other diet approach I have taken!

Keep plugging on don't take no for an answer. You have young kids and they deserve you to have you capable to live life to the fullest with them. My kids are 8 and 11 and I feel like I have cheated them out of activities. Just today my son asked to go to the beach I told him ask dad that is his department! I am taking them to Disneyland on Wed. But Dang it can be hard getting on and off rides! And walking all day. As a teen I loved to camp, raft, hike , climb, ski, ice skate.... etc. I WILL DO THOSE THINGS AGAIN... AND WITH MY KIDS! Hell I plan on going to the beach next summer! Back on the boogie board after 20 yrs!

Like everyone else has said I think that you should find a new doctor if they absolutly will not refer you. I was 23 when I had my surgery back in March and Ive lost 60lbs since then.

When I was in the process of getting my surgery I had to go to a diffrent doctor for my annual pap-smear and I was explaining to her that I was getting the lapband and she just started saying how bad it was and how nobody loses any weight when they get it done and the the bypass would be better for me, I just shruged it off and let her do what she needed to do. I cant wait to go back to her next year when I need another papsmear and see what she says now. :confused:

just stay determined and dont give up!!!

When I first saw the question on the thread I thought I was going to open it up and read that you are 14 yrs old or something. You are a 23 yr old adult. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. I have changed primary's since then, but the first primary doctor I had didn't like the idea but I think it was because she did not understand it. Sometimes people are afraid of what they do not understand even in the medical profession. Get a new doc honey.

I'm only 19 and I'm thinking about getting this done too. The hospital i looked at in WA , the doctor said they do lap band surgery on kids as young as 14 years old. i have the same problem though, I have a feeling my doctor will try to push me to diet or something but i'm not going to let him. I really am set on lap band. If he doesn't support my decision then i'll find another doctor.

My PCP also was against the lapband, or any type of WLS. He put me on diet pills, which of course, were another failure for me. I went to a couple of the support group meetings and started asking people who their PCP was. I changed PCP in February 2008. My insurance required 6 months of diet and exercise supervised by my NEW PCP, so I started over again. I had several hold ups with insurance, but finally I was approved. I am on day 10 of a 14 day liquid diet. It has been so hard, but I have already lost 14 lbs. My surgery is Friday, July 24th. It is a long road, but I know it will be worth it all! I suggest finding a PCP that is supportive of this decision. Good luck to you.

I agree you need to look into getting another Dr. Also anti - depressants can sometimes have the opposite effect on your weight. Good Luck

i am a 23 female, 232 lbs, 37.6 bmi, hypothyroidism, lower lumbar degeneration.....

well i have been researching this procedure for a few weeks & made an appointment with my primary physician to discuss having it done. right off she said that i was "too young" to have it done. she has had patients have it done and they lost NO weight. so instead she place me on an anti-depressant not for being depressed but because she said that it would help me lose the weight. for my insurance to cover i have to be referred by my primary, most surgeons want the support from your primary so what do i do?! i know that they can say they don't agree but can they actually refused to refer me.... if i meet the guide lines. she's predicting my failure from someone else?? I'm also too young for back surgery but if i don't get this weight off that is a very definite possibility in the my near future. with my thyroid no matter what my diet is i still continue to gain weight!! :wink2::biggrin:

If you feel this is the right decision for YOU, then you should find another primary care physician who will support your decision. As for starting an antidepressant just for mere weight loss attempt, I don't agree with that at all. Reason being:

My surgeon did start me on an antidepressant (I am not depressed) to help with my hunger issues. Well, being the trusting soul that I am, I started taking Pristiq in February. Yes, it helped with wanting to eat and I lost some weight, but what they either don't know OR don't tell you is, getting off of those antidepressants is a miserable process. I only took them for 3 months and wanted to get off in the event later my husband and I want to try for a baby.

Well, look up some of the side effects of getting off things like Pristiq, Effexor. I had "brain shocks" or they can be called shivers. I wanted to cry and just felt horrible. Thank the Lord I am off of them now and will NEVER, EVER take another antidepressant for something other than what it is prescribed for.

I wish you the very best of luck with your decision. I was banded on 07/07 and so far I do not regret it at all.

I was 23 and very close to your weight when I had my surgery. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself. But also, I know what it's like to be told by a doctor that you don't need surgery and your just fat/depressed/need to exercise. The too young excuse is stupid. Just keep on trying, go to another doctor. You don't need them forcing anti-depressants down your throat when you have a totally unrelated problem.