Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Stories

hi

please post your surgery stories here.

I was banded on06-19-09. I had to stay one night in the hospital. I went in at 0530am and was processed. I already had all of my pre-op done of course which consisted of EKG, chest X-ray, blood work, letter from doctor and cardio doctor. The nurse came in and put in my IV and began fluids. At about 0730 my surgeon came in to see me and talk to me for a minute. Then they took me to pre-surgery for my general anesthesia. The anesthesia doctor talked to me for a minute and they began the relaxing meds into my IV. At that time, I informed my anesthesia dr. that I get very sick after surgery unless he puts that stuff in with my anesthesia that helps with nausea. He said no problem and that is the last thing I remember. I woke up as I was being wheeled into the recovery room and was immediately hit with waves of nausea. They put zophran and morphene in my IV and it did not help. After 1 and half hours they took me to an intermediary ward before my room to try and stabalize my nausea. Finally they gave me phenergan and morphene and I was finally over the nausea. They took me up to my room where they continued my oxygen and IV. They finally took me off of oxygen and IV at about 0800pm. They just continued to monitor me throughout the night and made me use my breathing machine and I was gone from the hospital by 0800am the next morning. I continued to have nausea for three days after my surgery. But I found out I had the stomach flu which I am sure was part of that. After I got over the flu, all was well. Over all, it was good and the hospital I went to was great. My surgeon has been great as well. I have my first fill tomorrow and I am very excited.

hi greytz

im happy to hear that you had a safe surgery. we have recently kicked off our july banding so its good to hear stories from fellow banders to ease the nerves a little.

happy losing

daqui

Well, I am now banded! My surgery was at 2:15 yesterday. I had to show up at 11:45 (antsy all morning!). After the initial intake & check-in, they took me back at 1:15 to the holding area. There they started my IV and had the DR come talk with me for a minute as well as the anesthesiologist and tons of other people. Then they gave me a shot of 2 gin & tonics to relax me before going to the OR. (Seriously, the anesthesiologist said it would make me feel like I had 2 of them, and then called it that !) I remember going into the OR and getting a shot and seeing the oxygen mask going on & that was it until I woke up in recovery. After I was good & awake they gave me a shot of morphine & took me upstairs. I felt pretty good and did some walking with my husband, but I went ahead and took more morphine as a preventative measure around 8:30. I also hoped it would help me sleep. No such luck. All those tubes and stuff made it really hard to sleep. I probably slept about 2 hours. Anyway, this morning, the doc came in and gave me the once over and said I could go after my abdominal x-ray and once I was able to drink 2 oz of Protein Shake. All that went well and I left the hospital at noon. I am lounging in my bed getting ready to take a nap and get ready for a walk later. My dog needs me to take him walking! I am sore, but not in pain. I keep hearing about the gas I should be having, but not yet. I would say the experience was fairly easy. I hope you all have such an easy time of it!:smile2:

Good luck to all of you.

I was banded on July 3rd in Cancun by Dr.Ceron and Dr. Perez. Three other people from the states were getting banded by the same surgical team at the Amerimed Hospital in Cancun on the same day that I was. You definitely feel an immediate friendship towards your fellow bandsters going through the same thing you are! I think we were all impressed with how beautiful the hospital was and how wonderful the staff treated us. It was all in all a much better experience then I expected! I have had 3 surgeries in the states and I have to say I was treated better and not rushed out of the hospital in Mexico. The place was spotlessly clean and very modern.

I arrived at the hospital around 7:30am and by 4:40pm it was all over and I was in my private room with my husband waiting for me. I felt pretty good. I did have some gas but it wasn't that bad. I did get up and walk to the rest room and walk the halls about every two hours just to try and get rid of gas. Gas pain in the past after surgery has really been an issue for me - very painful. The next morning Dr.Ceron and Dr. Perez came in and talked to me about the procedure and gave me my medical records and test results, x-rays, the picture of the band and my stomach, the box the band came in with all the information on it including the size and serial number. He explained that he didn't think I would need a fill for two or three months but that I could get one once I started feeling hunger, To give it at least 6 weeks to heal. (I still haven't felt any hunger pains and I am going on day 5!)

Around 11 I was released from the hospital and we went back to the resort we were staying at. I spent most of the time lying around and walking about every two hours.The following day I did go to Breakfast with my two daughters and husband. I had some caffeine free tea, had a beautiful view of the ocean and had a very relaxing time. Spent the rest of the day relaxing by the pool or in my room in bed.

The following day we returned to the states. The flight to Chicago is a 3 1/2 hour flight. It was delayed 1 and 1/2 hours. We had left the resort to go to the airport at 11am

and didn't take off until 3:10pm. We hit some turbulence that lasted about 20 minutes and I was really beginning to feel very nauseated....by the time we got to the baggage claim at the airport I couldn't hold on anymore and started throwing up.:wink2: I threw up three times in a row - saliva. I thought great, went through all this and now I have ruined my band or I am going to have to have another surgery. So I called Dr.Perez and asked if I should go to a Doctor here to get it checked out. He asked if I was able to swallow liquids ok and I said yes and he said if the band had slipped I wouldn't even be able to swallow my own saliva. He said I was ok.:wink:

So we get to my car and I have a dead battery! We call a tow truck and wait for a jump that takes another 40 minutes and finally get on our way back home to Mattoon which is another 3 hour drive. I start getting car sick. My husband has to stop and let me rest every 20 to 30 minutes or I know I am going to begin throwing up again! We finally get home after midnight! Whew!:smile2:

So apart from the trip home and some minor Constipation and gas I think it went pretty well. All systems are a go now and I am feeling much better. Best of all I have lost 5 pounds post op.:)

This definitely is the best decision I could have made for my health - to get the band. Any of you out there second guessing yourself stay strong. You can do it!

Good luck to all of you already banded and all waiting to be banded. With encouragement from each other we can do this!

Any of you out there second guessing yourself stay strong. You can do it!

i got tears in my eyes when i read that. it might seem cheesy and im not usually so emotional. i just really needed to see that at that moment. sometimes something so simple can really help someone.

thx

almost forgot.....congrats on the sucessful surgery

Thanks so much Daqui and I know you can do this! You are so close to your date and I know that even though it is very exciting it is also a little scarry. You will do great and in a years time just think how wonderful you will feel. To have your hunger taken away is an amazing feeling. The surgery is worth the slight discomfort! Good Luck!

I was banded on 10 Feb 2009. The best part of my before surgery was this warn air blanket they put on you. It was so nice! So I go to surgery and it only takes 40 mins. Then they put me in recovery where I woke up and stayed for 5 hours while they tried to find a room for me. They assumed by my first name that I was a male and wanted to put me in a room with a man!!! So that being straightened out, I was put in a private room. I took a walk with my husband up and down the hall once, then back to bed. The next morning they took me down to xray and made me drink this aweful stuff that was just the worst. They found everything was ok and sent me back up to my room where I could enjoy a nice drink of the second worst thing I had drank all day, it was some Protein thing that was so sweet it was like drinking Jello, yuck. We left the hospital and as someone had suggested, I had a small pillow to put between me and the seat belt. Recovered in a couple of days and was ready to go by the 5th day when I went back to work. No gas pains, but the worst for me was not having anything to drink after the surgery. I was allowed these sticks to suck on and I have to admit I put them in tons of Water and sucked the water out till they were dry. Anyway, it is not that bad and it goes by quickly. I am now 5 months out tomorrow, down 57 pounds and feeling like a kid again. I is the best thing I have ever done for me.

Well, its done and im so happy! As everyone else, my hospital experience was good--people were friendly, my doctor and anestologist (how ever you spell that) were great...the doctor came into see me at 10;45 - and i joked - oh are you taking me early??? He said the room was being cleaned (surgery was scheduled between 12/12:30) - but they came and took me at 11!

I dont remember anything except waking up in recovery. I could feel the pain/discomfort...nothing as bad as my gallbladder surgery - but defianately not fun..lol...then they wheeled me into recovery #2. My only complaint there is the recliners we were sitting in were NOT comfortable! Anyway, I was not an overnight stay--so by 4:45 they were ready to send me home...but realized i was in some pain and asked if i wanted a dose of the pain reliever for the ride-and i said "yes!". thank goodness! It took the "edge" off the drive home.

I got home saw my family and basically headed to bed. It was a little tough getting up, but i kept a crutch by my bed to help pull me up. I also had a little light and when i woke up at 1 and 5 (pain meds wearing off) i took more and went right back to bed. I figured "pain management" is just that and i knew for the first day or two i would be taking that elixir as often as i needed .

The 2nd day i was allowed Clear liquids, but to be honest, i wasnt really hungry..sipping Water was good for me...but by the 3rd day i was ready to sip on the Protein drink and a little (very little) Soup.

I'm feeling much better today and very glad that i'm on the road to recovery and this is done!

My ex came into town Wednesday and has been a big help...he had housecleaners come in to clean my house for me, he's taking care of the girls..its been great.

I'm glad i did this.i'm looking forward to a new emerging..and each of you waiting for this process...just know that a couple of days of discomfort will be very much worth a lifetime of self confidence, happiness and good health!

My best to all the "Freedom Fighters"..and beyond...will be looking forward to hearing success stories and before/after photos!:thumbup:

My surgery was on 7/6. I went in at 11:30. They did all the preop stuff, paperwork etc. I was given a patch behind my ear for nausea as well as a shot for nausea. It seemed to take forever before my surgery finally got started. All I remember is the anesthesiologist giving me a shot of something in the IV. He and the nurse kept talking to me all the way to the OR. I remember about 10 seconds in the OR and then I was in recovery.

I had very little pain, just difficulty breathing from the anesthesia. I can remember thinking my blood sugar feels so low I wish they would give me something to eat. I was taken up to my room and the nurse right away brought me sugar free Jello and some broth. I was able to eat it right away and get up and walk. The night went pretty well. I did get regular pain shots because I wanted to keep feeling good instead of waiting until I didn't. I was released around 9:30 the next morning. I came home and pretty much stayed in bed and did a little bit of walking just inside the house. sleep that night was a bit challenging without the hospital bed. The next day I felt completely fine. I have not been using the vicodin since the first day home. I actually went with my kids to chuck e cheese and then to the grocery store yesterday and then went to Mothers of Multiples last night. I already feel more energetic than ever and can't wait to really start seeing the weight fall off!! This went better than I thought it would, no gas pain, no nausea, very little pain at the incision. All of you waiting good luck!! I know I made the right decision.

Its great to hear abt all of the stories so far

love these threads.. thank you all so much for sharing your experiences!

My day is coming up on the 14th.. a week ago I was really dreading it.. wondering if I should push back surgery, etc.. But reading all the experiences here have helped greatly. I now am ready, and even excited to get it started and get the "grunt phase" over!

Thank you!

Edited by JustJoe