Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Stories

My surgery was scheduled for 8:00A.M., but I had to be at the hospital at 5. Since I live an hour away, that made for an early morning! I got up at 3:30 and took my shower. There was no need for extra time since I couldn’t do make up, fix my hair, or lotion up. We left the house at 4 and arrived about 5 minutes early. They had a problem with the machine that prints the arm bands, so it took a little while to get mine. They were actually ready for me before I got it! They weighed me (hadn’t lost as much as I’d hoped on pre-op diet), and I went into a little room where I had to disrobe, and I got my gown. I have never felt so small in my life. That gown was HUGE! I’m sure it was designed that way especially for bariatric patients, but it sure felt nice. Then, they took my BP and temp.

I had already forgotten about this wonderful service my hospital offers, but within just a few minutes, the hospital’s WLS surgery coordinator, Pat (I think that’s her title) came in to talk to me and my husband. She is a lady who had RNY about 8 years ago. She (and a girl I work with actually) started a local support group (local to the hospital, that is) anywhere that would let them meet (local churches, etc.) because there was nothing like that around here. Well, their group grew and grew, and the hospital got wind of it. They created a position for this lady, and now she conducts the pre and post op seminars/support groups for the local hospitals, and she comes to sit with all bariatric patients at the hospital on the day of their surgery. (I’m sure there is more to her job since it’s a full time position, but I don’t really know.) So when Pat arrived I was happy to see her. She came in and talked to me and my husband about what all to expect that day and for the next couple of weeks, and even vaguely forever. I knew most of the stuff already (thanks to LBT and my own research), but it was great for my husband. She probably talked to us for an hour, and then my transporter, Herby, came to take me to holding. My hubby got to go so far, and then I had to kiss him good-bye.

Pat stayed with me in holding, where I was very comfortable. I LOVED the nice warm blanket, but I didn’t love so much the pulsing booties. The holding nurse started my IV and introduced me to my anesthesiologist. Then I met my CRNA, and it was time to go to the OR. Pat stayed with me until I entered the OR!

Once in the OR, they put something in my IV that they warned would burn, and, MAN, it did! After that, the Dr. told me what I was breathing was just oxygen, but she lied! It was lights out! The next thing I knew, I was in my room. I don’t even remember being in recovery! My nephew was in PICU (only 6 weeks old…sick little baby…long story) , and the first thing I said when I woke up was, “How’s Eli?” He was having tests and ended up having his third surgery the day after mine. (Three surgeries in six weeks!) After getting an update on him, I felt better and began to wake. Shortly after that Pat was there again to check on me.

It took a while for transport to come and get me to take me for my swallow test. They finally did, though, and everything went fine. I was happy to get to see the x-rays of my band and port. It was really cool!

After I returned back to my room, it was time for me to eat, err drink. I was the first patient to be sent back down to Same Day Surgery before going home (instead of where, I don’t know) so the nurses there weren’t really trained about what/how I was supposed to eat. My nurse had a “cheat sheet” that she was using and brought me a cup of apple juice. I had to call my MIL who went to the nutrition class with me to tell me (and the nurse) how much I was supposed to have how fast. By the time I got off the phone, though, my nurse had found the answer. She measured my one ounce for 15 minutes, and as soon as I got that down, I was ready to go home. (She did call and order me another binder though so that I would have one to wear and one to wash, so we did wait on that to come.)

The ride home wasn’t bad at all. I put a pillow between my abdomen and my seat belt, and I was totally fine. I came home and went straight to bed, but I didn’t stay there too long. I found myself to be much more comfy in the recliner in our theater room. Needless to say, that is where I’ve been spending most of my time since.

The morning after surgery, I had a real scare! I got nauseas and actually ended up heaving three good times. Nearly nothing came out because there wasn’t much there, but I did puke some clear liquid and scare myself to death that I had hurt my band! I talked to the surgeon’s office though, and I think I’m fine.

The only other real issue I had the night of surgery and the next day was getting pain meds. The doctor originally prescribed me something (Loratab) to which I am allergic. By the time my husband got it to the pharmacy and called the surgeon, there was nothing he could do for the night. I had to call the next day and get the script changed. When that was done, UHC (my insurance) was having computer problems, so it was hours before my scripts could be filled. I went over 24 hours with nothing. Since then, though I’ve only had to have two doses of pain meds and one does of liquid Tylenol. That’s not too bad in my book.

The only other two issues I’ve had are getting in enough fluids and the gas pain in my shoulder and neck! I am afraid I will drink too much too quickly, and I really have no appetite or thirst at all.

Yesterday (Friday the 10th) I took my first shower, which I’m sure my family appreciated! I replaced my bandages, fixed my hair, and even put on makeup. My MIL and I went to a neighboring town about 30 miles away, and I got a stylish lunchbox in which to keep my liquid food cold, made copies for my graduate presentation (see next paragraph) and bought some stretchy clothes that won’t hurt my belly button incision for the next week or two. It was nice to get out of the house for a bit, but that was enough for me. When we got home, I crashed!

I had to go to class today (Saturday the 11th) because I’m in graduate school, and I had a presentation due. (My classmate drove me.) My presentation was early, and things went pretty well. I was allowed to sit during it, and I know that helped. However, I had to leave about 1:00 (class doesn’t end until 3:00) because I was just feeling really fatigued and a little nauseas. I will be docked a half a letter grade in my afternoon class for missing even part of one class. (I have a morning class and and afternoon class.) However, I’m okay with that. Getting an A- is so worth it. I’ll still have a 4.0, and I’ll still get the same degree! I am just thankful that my classmate felt the same way because, unfortunately, she will be docked too. She knew I didn’t feel well, and she really pushed me to leave, so I don’t feel too guilty, but I still feel a little bad. Oh, well, I guess that goes to show she’s a good friend! (I already knew that though!) When I came home, I crashed for about two hours. When I woke up, I had my first BM since Tuesday, and now I feel much better!

I just can’t wait for this healing process to be over. I’m ready to get up and get on with my new life! Overall, I feel great, and I have already lost three pounds since surgery. (Can’t get my ticker to update though…click on it and nothing happens)

If I had to decided again whether or not to do this, I would absolutely do it again in a minute. The discomfort will be nothing when I am on my feet again and losing weight! I wish everyone reading this as smooth a journey as I have had so far!

Best of luck to all!

P.S. If my computer will operate, I will post surgery day pics and pics of my incisions.

Just read your surgery story and it sounds like you had an awesome team...and home that afternoon ...lucky duck :huh2:

Glad to read it all went perfectly. I'm still struggling to get 32oz of Water...let alone 64 :blink:

Well, its done and im so happy! As everyone else, my hospital experience was good--people were friendly, my doctor and anestologist (how ever you spell that) were great...the doctor came into see me at 10;45 - and i joked - oh are you taking me early??? He said the room was being cleaned (surgery was scheduled between 12/12:30) - but they came and took me at 11!

I dont remember anything except waking up in recovery. I could feel the pain/discomfort...nothing as bad as my gallbladder surgery - but defianately not fun..lol...then they wheeled me into recovery #2. My only complaint there is the recliners we were sitting in were NOT comfortable! Anyway, I was not an overnight stay--so by 4:45 they were ready to send me home...but realized i was in some pain and asked if i wanted a dose of the pain reliever for the ride-and i said "yes!". thank goodness! It took the "edge" off the drive home.

I got home saw my family and basically headed to bed. It was a little tough getting up, but i kept a crutch by my bed to help pull me up. I also had a little light and when i woke up at 1 and 5 (pain meds wearing off) i took more and went right back to bed. I figured "pain management" is just that and i knew for the first day or two i would be taking that elixir as often as i needed .

The 2nd day i was allowed Clear Liquids, but to be honest, i wasnt really hungry..sipping Water was good for me...but by the 3rd day i was ready to sip on the Protein drink and a little (very little) Soup.< /p>

I'm feeling much better today and very glad that i'm on the road to recovery and this is done!

My ex came into town Wednesday and has been a big help...he had housecleaners come in to clean my house for me, he's taking care of the girls..its been great.

I'm glad i did this.i'm looking forward to a new emerging..and each of you waiting for this process...just know that a couple of days of discomfort will be very much worth a lifetime of self confidence, happiness and good health!

My best to all the "Freedom Fighters"..and beyond...will be looking forward to hearing success stories and before/after photos!:)

So, glad to hear everything went so well. You're a bandster....yipppeee and congrats on your grad work...you are a very determined lady!

My surgery was scheduled for 8:00A.M., but I had to be at the hospital at 5. Since I live an hour away, that made for an early morning! I got up at 3:30 and took my shower. There was no need for extra time since I couldn’t do make up, fix my hair, or lotion up. We left the house at 4 and arrived about 5 minutes early. They had a problem with the machine that prints the arm bands, so it took a little while to get mine. They were actually ready for me before I got it! They weighed me (hadn’t lost as much as I’d hoped on pre-op diet), and I went into a little room where I had to disrobe, and I got my gown. I have never felt so small in my life. That gown was HUGE! I’m sure it was designed that way especially for bariatric patients, but it sure felt nice. Then, they took my BP and temp.

I had already forgotten about this wonderful service my hospital offers, but within just a few minutes, the hospital’s WLS surgery coordinator, Pat (I think that’s her title) came in to talk to me and my husband. She is a lady who had RNY about 8 years ago. She (and a girl I work with actually) started a local support group (local to the hospital, that is) anywhere that would let them meet (local churches, etc.) because there was nothing like that around here. Well, their group grew and grew, and the hospital got wind of it. They created a position for this lady, and now she conducts the pre and post op seminars/support groups for the local hospitals, and she comes to sit with all bariatric patients at the hospital on the day of their surgery. (I’m sure there is more to her job since it’s a full time position, but I don’t really know.) So when Pat arrived I was happy to see her. She came in and talked to me and my husband about what all to expect that day and for the next couple of weeks, and even vaguely forever. I knew most of the stuff already (thanks to LBT and my own research), but it was great for my husband. She probably talked to us for an hour, and then my transporter, Herby, came to take me to holding. My hubby got to go so far, and then I had to kiss him good-bye.

Pat stayed with me in holding, where I was very comfortable. I LOVED the nice warm blanket, but I didn’t love so much the pulsing booties. The holding nurse started my IV and introduced me to my anesthesiologist. Then I met my CRNA, and it was time to go to the OR. Pat stayed with me until I entered the OR!

Once in the OR, they put something in my IV that they warned would burn, and, MAN, it did! After that, the Dr. told me what I was breathing was just oxygen, but she lied! It was lights out! The next thing I knew, I was in my room. I don’t even remember being in recovery! My nephew was in PICU (only 6 weeks old…sick little baby…long story) , and the first thing I said when I woke up was, “How’s Eli?” He was having tests and ended up having his third surgery the day after mine. (Three surgeries in six weeks!) After getting an update on him, I felt better and began to wake. Shortly after that Pat was there again to check on me.

It took a while for transport to come and get me to take me for my swallow test. They finally did, though, and everything went fine. I was happy to get to see the x-rays of my band and port. It was really cool!

After I returned back to my room, it was time for me to eat, err drink. I was the first patient to be sent back down to Same Day Surgery before going home (instead of where, I don’t know) so the nurses there weren’t really trained about what/how I was supposed to eat. My nurse had a “cheat sheet” that she was using and brought me a cup of apple juice. I had to call my MIL who went to the nutrition class with me to tell me (and the nurse) how much I was supposed to have how fast. By the time I got off the phone, though, my nurse had found the answer. She measured my one ounce for 15 minutes, and as soon as I got that down, I was ready to go home. (She did call and order me another binder though so that I would have one to wear and one to wash, so we did wait on that to come.)

The ride home wasn’t bad at all. I put a pillow between my abdomen and my seat belt, and I was totally fine. I came home and went straight to bed, but I didn’t stay there too long. I found myself to be much more comfy in the recliner in our theater room. Needless to say, that is where I’ve been spending most of my time since.

The morning after surgery, I had a real scare! I got nauseas and actually ended up heaving three good times. Nearly nothing came out because there wasn’t much there, but I did puke some clear liquid and scare myself to death that I had hurt my band! I talked to the surgeon’s office though, and I think I’m fine.

The only other real issue I had the night of surgery and the next day was getting pain meds. The doctor originally prescribed me something (Loratab) to which I am allergic. By the time my husband got it to the pharmacy and called the surgeon, there was nothing he could do for the night. I had to call the next day and get the script changed. When that was done, UHC (my insurance) was having computer problems, so it was hours before my scripts could be filled. I went over 24 hours with nothing. Since then, though I’ve only had to have two doses of pain meds and one does of liquid Tylenol. That’s not too bad in my book.

The only other two issues I’ve had are getting in enough fluids and the gas pain in my shoulder and neck! I am afraid I will drink too much too quickly, and I really have no appetite or thirst at all.

Yesterday (Friday the 10th) I took my first shower, which I’m sure my family appreciated! I replaced my bandages, fixed my hair, and even put on makeup. My MIL and I went to a neighboring town about 30 miles away, and I got a stylish lunchbox in which to keep my liquid food cold, made copies for my graduate presentation (see next paragraph) and bought some stretchy clothes that won’t hurt my belly button incision for the next week or two. It was nice to get out of the house for a bit, but that was enough for me. When we got home, I crashed!

I had to go to class today (Saturday the 11th) because I’m in graduate school, and I had a presentation due. (My classmate drove me.) My presentation was early, and things went pretty well. I was allowed to sit during it, and I know that helped. However, I had to leave about 1:00 (class doesn’t end until 3:00) because I was just feeling really fatigued and a little nauseas. I will be docked a half a letter grade in my afternoon class for missing even part of one class. (I have a morning class and and afternoon class.) However, I’m okay with that. Getting an A- is so worth it. I’ll still have a 4.0, and I’ll still get the same degree! I am just thankful that my classmate felt the same way because, unfortunately, she will be docked too. She knew I didn’t feel well, and she really pushed me to leave, so I don’t feel too guilty, but I still feel a little bad. Oh, well, I guess that goes to show she’s a good friend! (I already knew that though!) When I came home, I crashed for about two hours. When I woke up, I had my first BM since Tuesday, and now I feel much better!

I just can’t wait for this healing process to be over. I’m ready to get up and get on with my new life! Overall, I feel great, and I have already lost three pounds since surgery. (Can’t get my ticker to update though…click on it and nothing happens)

If I had to decided again whether or not to do this, I would absolutely do it again in a minute. The discomfort will be nothing when I am on my feet again and losing weight! I wish everyone reading this as smooth a journey as I have had so far!

Best of luck to all!

P.S. If my computer will operate, I will post surgery day pics and pics of my incisions.

Congrats on being banded, and with your awesome grades in grad school!

I had my surgery on 7/7 also, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE a few days makes. The first 3 days sucked...just very sore and not comfortable. Day 4 (saturday) was like an overnight miracle..lol I've been moving around much more and less port pain...still getting some gas pain, which has been the worst part (well other than extreme nausea from anesthesia) but it lessens each day.

Have you guys had to go clothes shopping yet? I did! I'm in 18/20 pants and tops already (I was barely squeezing into 22/24 pre-op) and i'm already down to a 40 bra from a 42/44...it's so weird to see the pounds just fall off with such little work! But it's oh so nice:lol:

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A SPEEDY RECOVERY! :thumbdown:

Have you guys had to go clothes shopping yet? I did! I'm in 18/20 pants and tops already (I was barely squeezing into 22/24 pre-op) and i'm already down to a 40 bra from a 42/44...it's so weird to see the pounds just fall off with such little work! But it's oh so nice:lol:

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A SPEEDY RECOVERY! :thumbdown:

You know, Barbie, every other time I've lost weight, I've had to go out and buy new clothes pretty quickly, but for some reason this time, it just ain't happening!

I've lost 25+ lbs, and yet I haven't noticed ANY change in my clothes at all! In fact, my stomach still seems swollen to me from the surgery, and my pants are very uncomfortable, what with my port incision being so close to my waistline.

I have noticed less Fluid in my feet and ankles, so I'm sure most of what I've lost is Water, but even so!! 25 lbs just seems like it ought to feel different!

I'm happy to have lost it, but I'm just wondering when I'll start FEELING like I've lost weight. :crying:

Congrats to you, and keep losing those inches!! :biggrin:

Thanks! I had an 'ah-ha' moment/omg moment...i was out today getting some Isopure drinks and walked past the glass window...i actually stopped and almost yelled "HOLY SHIT" (sorry if that offends anyone) because I could SEE how much smaller i look...legs and torso...it was a great feeling...

Wow you've lost 25 since surgery?? That's great! You MUST still be bloated if you havn't had to get new pants yet....

Hi everyone,

I hesitate to post my surgery story because I know there are a lot of people still waiting for surgery. But since this was just my reaction to it all, I will post.

Surgery was Friday. Supposed to be at 930am but apparantly someone forgot to tell me it was moved to 1030am. No biggie, just more waiting. They took me back to prep me. Started my IV etc. Surgeon came in and said hello. I told her I was very nervous. She said they would give me some versed and I would be fine. Surgery went fine. She came out and told my family at 1145am that I would be in recovery for about 45 minutes before they moved me to the bariatric unit. I was just to sit in a recliner because I wasn't an overnight stay. Well, that is when things went VERY wrong. My blood pressure went berserk! It took them HOURS to get it down. I didn't get up to the bariatric ward until 4pm. I was groggy, nauseas, miserable. Then my blood sugar spiked so to top it off, they gave me insulin. They wanted to me walk right away and eat right away. I could do neither. I walked 10 feet in the hallway and threw up all over the place. It was awful. I will spare the rest of the details but I didn't get home until almost midnight.

Saturday I woke up with the gas. Sunday it was worse. I walked and walked and walked. Nothing helped. Took gas x, didn't do a darn thing. Finally Sunday night/monday morning I started passing gas. Relieved a little of the pressure but not much. I am still feeling it. Very uncomfortable. My port site is swollen and more sore than I expected, to be honest. I expected discomfort. It is extremely painful. I am moving around a little better today than yesterday. I am hoping I just improve a little bit each day until I don't remember this part.

I am wishing I made a list of the reasons I wanted to do this because those first few days, I couldn't remember! I just keep telling myself it will get better and I know it will.

Wishing everyone a smooth experience!

Good Morning Everyone!!

My date was yesterday (13th). I woke up pretty nervous, wondering if I was doing the right thing. But I quickly said absolutely!! I woke up my husband (not an easy thing to do) and we had to take our 5 year old to the sitter (my sister) then started on our way. He is such a slow driver!!! He also had to stop and get something to eat!!! I said it was okay, but the McDonalds smelled pretty good! (and I don't even like McDonalds) anyway, we hit TONS of traffic on I-75! I was getting so antsy...He doesn't change lanes or anything to try and get around anyone. I was getting really irritated. I drive that road everyday to get to work, so I guess I am used to it. I had to call the Drs. Office and tell them we were running about 15 minutes late because of the traffic. So, it was about 20 minutes late when we got there.

They took a later appt ahead of me so we had to wait in the waiting room for a while. They took my back at 10:30, (my original appt was 9:30) everything went pretty quick after that. I changed my clothes they asked all kinds of questions (again) they got an IV started (which was not easy either, my veins are small and deep), the anesthesiologist came in and I told him (again) that I have heard I am a hard intubation. He looked in my throat and said he didn't see any issues, especially since my uvula and tonsils were gone (last year's surgery for sleep apnea). They rolled me into the surgical room, I slid over to the surgical bed, they started to strap my arms down at the same time the anesthesiologist said good night and that was it. I forgot to mention Dr Curry and his nurse came in a few times to check on me during the whole prep time, gave me re-assurances, etc. That was nice.

I woke up and my stomach hurt pretty bad, but my mouth and throat hurt too. I looked at the clock I had been out for over two hours! When they noticed I was awake, the anesthesiologist came over and said "You are right, you are a hard intubation!!! Your vocal cords are on the opposite side they are supposed to be!" So my mouth was traumatized from all that! I have sores on my tongue and lip. But the lap-band was inserted successfully and all is well. I have five incisions. I get to take off the gauze later today and see what they look like. Looks like they did use one of my 15 yr old scars from where they took out my gall bladder. I'm not sure because I was still out of it but I think they said the port was the top scar. Which would mean it isn't anywhere near where the pictures in the literature said it would be.

Anyway, we left the surgical center about 2:45-3:00 and I fell asleep in the car and went to bed as soon as I got home. I woke up at 6:00 when my sister brought my son home and I felt really good! No pain! I stayed awake for a couple hours; pain started a little bit, so I took some Lortab, a nausea pill, and went back to bed. Woke up a couple times to take more medicine and woke up about an hour ago. I feel pretty achy today though. When I am sitting still, I feel achy; my stomach doesn't really hurt until I start moving. I started out with some warm de-caf tea, which tastes really good, and some pain medicine. But, I think that is the last time I will Lortab; I just don’t think it does anything. I have never thought it helped me, I have been given that when I had the few surgeries I have had and I never felt it helped. But I didn't say anything, because I thought maybe it would this time. So I am going to stick with the liquid Tylenol and Aleve. Those are the two over the counter meds they suggested. One more thing..... I have NO GAS PAINS!!!! Isn't that crazy! They asked if I did at the center, and I said I don't think so, they said I was one of the lucky ones. I did have gas from the time I woke up from surgery until last night. Maybe that is the last of that! I think I'll try the heating pad today for the achiness with the Tylenol and Aleve. All in all, it was a very small inconvenience for the huge benefits I will be receiving! I went to surgery starving to death, and not one growl since I woke up from surgery!!! I am so happy!!

Its great to hear abt all of the stories so far

Don't forget to post your own story when you are ready.

Hi everyone,

I hesitate to post my surgery story because I know there are a lot of people still waiting for surgery. But since this was just my reaction to it all, I will post.

hey

thank you for sharing your experience. we have to hear everything because everyone's experience will be different. i like to know all three sides of the story, the good, bad and mine. we are here to support you not be upset because you had a bumpy day.

i truly hope you start feeling better. please keep sharing whether its a good/bad day. we are here for you.

Hi everyone,

Surgery was Friday. Supposed to be at 930am but apparantly someone forgot to tell me it was moved to 1030am. No biggie, just more waiting. They took me back to prep me. Started my IV etc. Surgeon came in and said hello. I told her I was very nervous. She said they would give me some versed and I would be fine. Surgery went fine. She came out and told my family at 1145am that I would be in recovery for about 45 minutes before they moved me to the bariatric unit. I was just to sit in a recliner because I wasn't an overnight stay. Well, that is when things went VERY wrong. My blood pressure went berserk! It took them HOURS to get it down. I didn't get up to the bariatric ward until 4pm. I was groggy, nauseas, miserable. Then my blood sugar spiked so to top it off, they gave me insulin. They wanted to me walk right away and eat right away. I could do neither. I walked 10 feet in the hallway and threw up all over the place. It was awful. I will spare the rest of the details but I didn't get home until almost midnight.

Saturday I woke up with the gas. Sunday it was worse. I walked and walked and walked. Nothing helped. Took gas x, didn't do a darn thing. Finally Sunday night/monday morning I started passing gas. Relieved a little of the pressure but not much. I am still feeling it. Very uncomfortable. My port site is swollen and more sore than I expected, to be honest. I expected discomfort. It is extremely painful. I am moving around a little better today than yesterday. I am hoping I just improve a little bit each day until I don't remember this part.

I am wishing I made a list of the reasons I wanted to do this because those first few days, I couldn't remember! I just keep telling myself it will get better and I know it will.

Wishing everyone a smooth experience!

Sorry you had a bumpy road, but it will get better! Being a week out today, I feel SO much better! If it weren't for these railroad tracks on my belly and knowing that I can't eat solid food, I wouldn't know I'd had surgery! Best of luck from here on out!

Lisa~ It gets better! I felt that way for the first 3-4 days....like i was NEVER going to feel better...but everyone was right..by day 5 & 6, it's like OVERNIGHT you feel better! Today is exactly one week out for me and it kind of seems like forever ago...and i already feel SOOOOO good! Still get tired easily but so much better overall...hold on a few more days..you'll see!

Barbie

Awww.. thanks everyone! I appreciate it! I woke up today feeling a bit better. I took a shower and decided I wanted to get out today. I can move, just VERY slowly. My hubby and I went to costco. We walked around for about an hour or so, bought lots of stuff. :thumbdown:

By the end of the trip though, my port site was VERY VERY sore. Too much, I think. But I am glad I got out. I feel like I could nap this afternoon and I think I will.

I am still feeling very SWOLLEN. My whole abdomen is just puffy.

I am not eating much, which scares me. I am on solid foods now (started yesterday on day 4.) I only eat a few bites and then I really don't want anymore. I know I am getting hardly any nutrition but I am trying to drink my Water. I think I am getting about 50 of my 64oz. It is hard!!! But I am trying.

Thanks again everyone! I really needed the support!! (hugs)

Edited by healthy-me-in-Az
because I can't spell! :)

Hey all :wub:

I just got home from my surgery/hospital stay and.. my first thought was wanting to post here. :)

Anyway.. my aetna BcBs required i stay the night, so i did.

I was soooo very nervous.. all the way up until when i was sitting in pre-op with the leg pumpers on(those rocked) and they gave me my first "relaxing drug"

I remember saying bye to my parents and brother.. who were all in pre-op with me.. i remember the door opening.. and i dunno what they gave me but I was out before i hit the elevator to go up to surgery.

I woke up an hour later in recovery asking the nurse "when do i go in?"

So.. at first I had a lot of gas pain.. the hospital nurses were absolutely amazing.. sitting and talking to me and helping me with every thing I could think of.

Within a few hours I was off my oxygen, able to drink juice and was walking around the hallways of my hospital floor for 5-10 min at a time. (granted I was on liquid vicodin and gas-X)

turns out my doctor does dieting very differently. I am right off on full liquids, then i move to pureed foods on the 17th (friday) and I go in for my first potential fill on the 30th of July. (go on soft foods the 29th, and if everything is well solid foods on the 11th of august).

I actually rented a recliner to chill in for a couple weeks..

but my experience so far has been entirely positive.. and once these few initial first days of pain and discomfort pass.. i'll like it even more im sure.

Well its official I am now banded. I went to the hospital yesterday at 11 am . was in surgery by 12:30 and in room at 3:00 . Had to wait for barium swallow at 5:15. they would not let me have any ice chips till after x rays . Had no pain medicine since recovery so I hurt pretty bad all afternoon slept very little. They wanted me to pee but did not give me much in iv or by mouth so that was not happing fast. Thank god for my husband because he did everything ,the nurse i had was from a different floor and she did not want to be there and she did not know how to care for bariatric patient. I finnaly got broth and tea and Water so by 10:30 i urinated enough to be released. I only got crushed up tylenol for pain , which did not help. We left the hospital at 11:00 the nurse asked my if i needed a wheelchair duh i hurt and i weak. We stopped at walgreens to get my liquid pain meds then got home at 1 am . pain meds helped a little but i still hurt alot. I have been up a little today and when im laying down flat seems to feel better. I had a lot of pressure in my chest and back . I highly recommend using a heating pad and cold compress on the stomach. My incisions dony hurt much just hurt from gas and muscle pains . i have to say I have a pretty high pain tolerence and this surgery is kicking my butt. I hope I will feel better tomarrow . Today I have been drinking Protein Shake , water, broth and Decaf tea . still hurts to pee, hopefully that will get better soon . I am glad its over and thr recovery and weight loss can start. walking does help too. i will write more later. thanks for everyones support this website has helped alot. :scared2: