Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excuses, Excuses

How do you keep eating like a bandster should when life shifts direction?

My life took a sudden turn to the wild side when we bought motorcycles last year. Suddenly I have an active/hectic social life. Now I started my own business that has me traveling, socializing, constantly surrounded by groups of women, parties, meetings, and I keep using every single situation as an excuse to eat bad for just one more day. I'm completely out of control and even drinking friggen Coca Cola, which I never touched pre-band.

I have excuses booked for the entire month of September. This weekend is the Bash, next weekend I'm having two parties in addition to Vegas Bikefest, the following weekend is Reno Street Vibrations (another bike rally where my best friend from childhood lives) and parties scattered on weekdays.

I got in the business of parties, so my entire life is a party. So now what? What the heck happened to my good eating habits? How can I get back on track while riding this crazy roller coaster? I love the rollercoaster, but my life is surrounded by chicken fingers and cocktails now. Help me. I've fallen and I can't get up. No lie, I'm in deep fried oil.

Hi Delarla,

That is exactly how I feel now that football season is finally here! To me, football games, both on TV and in person meant lots of nachos, burgers, sodas, beer, wings....etc. Well I know that it is going to be a struggle, but I'll have to be strong. I hope that you can too!

"ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL"!!!

Ray

8/9/05

280/259/180

Fort Worth, TX

That's a bit what my life has been like the last 10 years and why I have gained so much weight. I keep thinking "oh, this week will be no good, I'll start my diet next week" and proceed to make the most of the current range of engagements.

I hope with the band I can learn to make the best choices in whatever possible situation and not eat half a cow, a field of potatoes and an entire barrel of wine everytime.

But at least generally my outings are family oriented or restaurant based and health choices are possible. There's nothing wrong with mum's roast lamb, just on a smaller scale.

I guess alcohol is the number one menace though - I find with a drink or two inside me, all my good choices go out the window.

the following weekend is Reno Street Vibrations

omgz.. u shouldve told me we could have hooked up nstuff!!!!

(see below)

This is the acid test, it seems to me, and one I've failed too. It's unbelievable how, even two years after being banded, a lessening of restriction seems to be a ticket to complete indulgence with no thought to consequences. The future is NOW, and every unneeded calorie we take in is a tiny step back to where we came from, back to morbid obesity and all that entails.

By the same token, every calorie avoided is a tiny step in the RIGHT direction, so we simply have to keep trying. Maybe carry your very least favorite before picture for inspiration? I wish I knew what the answer was, but one thing is for sure, it's in our own heads. Here's to keeping on keeping on.

Oh my I am having the same problems....well a little different I have falling and I need help getting back on. I did realize coming here to the LTB has helped me because I see things I had written in the past about keeping a food journal and how well I was doing...So guess what today it starts again. I have my paper and I am ready to write down EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth. It worked for the first few months and it's going to work now....

Hold because I hear the rollar coasters can be bumpy but you will get off sooner then later and you will start your healthy eating back. For me it's today...doing the fall weight loss challenge is going to make me do it also!!!!

Also thank you for your post...you either make me laugh or really sit and think. This is one that made me kick myself in the rear and say enough is enough!

For me personally, I pre-freeze a serving of thin sliced turkey or ham and cut up some raw veggies, as well as some Meal Replacement bars. I have them in a little cooler with me whereever I go. That way I am always prepared and not caught with something I shouldn't have. No...I am so far from perfect, the devil is wringing his hands just waiting to get his hands on me. However, I am trying to practice, practice practice good habits before I get my band in. Delarla, today is a new day to be good and do the right thing for you and your band. Now wasn't that a nice sermon? lol ;-)

Keri has a good Idea with the meal replacment bars. I usually use the drinkable yogurt when we are going to be out and about all day.. It's hard, at my brothers house they have alot of the pre football goodies. I could live on Nachos they are my favorite but I try and eat a good meal before going over or at least drink alot of Water to cut the room in my pouch..

Let me tell you I try everyday...

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. Amazing itsn't it. You loose 65 pounds and you whole life changes.

Why did you get banded n the first place? I mean, what was the real deep down reason?

What kept you fat all those years? What does fat mean to you? What does being fat represent?

What are some of the most amazing NSVs you've had, what brain things clicked or snapped, what relevations hav you had since loosing your weight?

If having lost 65 pound, can you see how your life would change further with more weight loss? Are you ready for those changes or are you at some level afraid of them?

You have not booked excuses. You just have to learn how to manage these parties. And how to manage your life before the parties so you don't undo all your hard work.

I think the number one thing you are going to need to do is manage your time. You have all these other things booked, so with the extra income, you really need to think about getting a personal trainer. Think of this as a professional development expense. Even if your eating and drinking get out of hand, at least the trainer will be able to mitigate some of it. You must figure out how to schedule time to excersize. Must Must Must. Besides you deserve it.

Make sure you are getting in your Water. Stave off dehydration and flush out the toxins from the martinis.

Eat a good dinner before your parties. And you know what I mean by good. Get some protien, get some fat, get some complex carbs. Low-glycimic baby.

Small steps: Diet Coke. Diet Coke is available almost everywhere that regular Coke is - and it mixes with Rum just as well. LOL.

I feel your pain. The only way I've figured out how to do this is to concentrate on making really good decisions during the week...that's when I have the most structure and willpower. My weekends are filled with restaurants, friends, booze, boys...I'm sorry, but I'm having way too much fun to feel guilty about any of it. As long as my weeks are clean, my weekends can be dirty :-)

Megan

That all sounds so good on paper even doing all that each of you has stated. But when it comes down to that moment when everyone around is stuffing food in their mouths you have to say hey look at me I didn't get this way by giving in. If I want to continue my life in this body I have to say look at me I am beautiful I love myself and I don't want to go back to the way I looked and most of all the way I felt. And turn around and walk away from that want and need to eat wrong. I will pray for you daily because I am with you when you take that forbidden bite. Take baby steps one party at a time.........

The anxiety of looking so far down the road makes me itch for the comfort of ice cream... :)

So... lets just go for one day at a time and see if we can balance out today, and tomorrow... well.. that isn't here yet is it? I'm deciding right now that today will be a good bandster day... because right along with the rest of you... I need it!