Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All!

I am hoping some of can help me with some of the concerns that I am having, and I do realize we are all different and depends on our doctors but any advise will ease my mind.

We are going to Disneyworld in 52 days, I had my surgery on April 10th, and will get my first fill on May 4th. What can expect to be able to eat by then? It will be very hard to be at amusement parks and pass up some of the yummy goodies, haha. But I was just wondering how I should handle this.

Any advise is appreicated..

:thumbup:

Resin, by then you should be able to eat pretty much anything. You'll just need to be conscious about getting in all your Protein and not eating the abundance of junk and slider food available in a place like Disney. You can usually get semi-decent stuff (I've even gotten salads at Disney and Sea World before); they won't be fantastic but they'll pass. In a pinch, get a burger and throw away the bread (i've done that a couple of times too). Your first fill will be a relief from bandster hell but will certainly not put you at your sweep spot, so you'll have to make good choices and not go crazy. I went on an 8 day cruise just a few days after my first fill. I survived. Sometimes, there was a lot of temptation (24 hour pizza, ice cream and Cookies in the afternoon, etc.) but I managed to steer clear 99% of the time. You should do just fine!

We just got back from Disney about a month ago. I had my surgery in November. I had a hard time eating that week, but I got filled a little too tight before we left. I would recommend getting any fills about a week before you leave, so you have time to get it corrected if necessary. I was able to ride all the rides and have a great time! I hope you and your family are able to do the same!

Obviously I am a huge Disneyworld fan. I would suggest that you go here: www.allearsnet.com and check out the Dining section. They have the menus from all of the restaurants. Have an idea going in where you the best options are in each park. For instance there are a whole lot of options in Epcot so if you know ahead of time of a few places (counter service and/or sit down) that you can get things you want then it will save the last minute "no, I can't eat anything here" issues.

The good news is that Disney has gone to healthy options. You can get alternates like baked chips and bags of carrots or applesauce most every counter service place. Breads are now (I think all) whole wheat. And many places have sugar free Jello for dessert.

Also, if you have a card that indicates you have a lap band then Disney is very accomodating and will usually charge you the child price for buffet and "all you can eat" meals.

If you have any questions or need any advice let me know! Disney is extremely accomodating of special dietary needs.

Oh, and keep in mind that you will be doing a whole lot of walking so that does help to balance out some of the not so great food choices!

Edited by WDW Luver

If possible, I would find a way to either bring my own food or be able to cook at your hotel or resort. I was at Disney several years ago and cannot begin to list how bad the food is. All the lunch food is burgers, hot dogs, fried chicken strips, and fries. You can pay the big bucks to sit down at a place, but if money is tight you can go broke with just food at Disney. I would see if you can stock up a fridge and cooler for the day, it can really help you in the long run.

I agree, you will pretty much be "able" to eat about anything at that point. I am just a little farther out right now and I still stay away from breads/pastas but everything else is ok.

I know that chicken strips are not necessarily "good", but I would be getting them and sharing them. I can usually eat 2 and don't touch the fries much. I just started eating salad again, but, nutritionally, I think that other food is better depending on how you like your salads. Mine are full of toppings and dressing so I am better off with chicken and vegis.

I remeber the food at disney being pretty diet friendly the last time I was there, so I would just try and make good choices and share when you can.

ENjoy! I hope to be going again soon!

I have had my band 7 months now and being from Southern CA, my family has annual passes to Disneyland (Disney World shouldn't be too different). I have no problems at all. Every restaraunt has a good kids meal selection and they don't ask questions. If its a sandwich or burger, I take off the bread. Tomorrowland Terrace has a great Protein kids meal that has yogurt, string cheese, sliced apples, whole wheat gold fish crackers and a drink. Great meal at the end of the day when you want a snack but not the whole thing. I eat the cheese and yogurt, hubby gets the apples, and my son gets the fish.

Main thing to remember is this is your new healthy life. Have fun and enjoy Disney World.

I went to disney last month and i did have a few treats while i was there, but i also brought a backpack with me that had low calorie Snacks so i only ate one meal that i bought there per day. the other times of the day i ate the low calorie Snacks that i had packed for myself.

and you will be doing a lot of walking while you are there....so enjoy a treat. otherwise you will end up being miserable thinking about food the whole time.

I was banded on March 12th and I'm headed down to Florida on May 3rd for a week. I talked with my doctor about my first fill and wether I should have it before I leave or after. She agreed it would be better if I wait until after I get back just in case I had discomfort with it. The bad part about that is I can pretty much eat whatever I want with the exception of poultry and breads. So now I need to pay extra attention to what I eat on vacation and not go crazy. Salads will probably be on the menu minus the chicken.< /p>

I was at Disney several years ago and cannot begin to list how bad the food is. All the lunch food is burgers, hot dogs, fried chicken strips, and fries. .

Disney has made a lot of changes to their menus and food in the last few years. Yes, there is a lot of burgers, hot dogs and chicken nuggets, but in many places there are also other choices. In many locations the chicken nuggets are now grilled instead of fried. Most meals come with an option of fruit (grapes), carrots or applesauce instead of fries. Some places have sweet potato fries instead of white potatos. There are some very delicious wrap sandwiches, grilled chicken options, salads and vegetarian choices around the parks. They are using wheat Buns for their burgers and dogs and wheat crust for pizza.

Many of the sit down restaurants have grilled fish and grilled chicken on the kids menu, and include an appetizer of a salad or veggies or soup--great options for banded life. That is why I always suggest that you take a look at the menus before you go ( the link I gave above has all the menus for every eating place on property and they are kept current) and have an idea of where in each park you think has the best options for you.

Disney has made a lot of changes to their menus and food in the last few years. Yes, there is a lot of burgers, hot dogs and chicken nuggets, but in many places there are also other choices. In many locations the chicken nuggets are now grilled instead of fried. Most meals come with an option of fruit (grapes), carrots or applesauce instead of fries. Some places have sweet potato fries instead of white potatos. There are some very delicious wrap sandwiches, grilled chicken options, salads and vegetarian choices around the parks. They are using wheat Buns for their burgers and dogs and wheat crust for pizza.

Many of the sit down restaurants have grilled fish and grilled chicken on the kids menu, and include an appetizer of a salad or veggies or soup--great options for banded life. That is why I always suggest that you take a look at the menus before you go ( the link I gave above has all the menus for every eating place on property and they are kept current) and have an idea of where in each park you think has the best options for you.

I agree! We have been to disney 8 times as a family, and never, ever eat burgers and fries! There is a lot of good food there, but you have to know how to plan and find it.

I agree! We have been to disney 8 times as a family, and never, ever eat burgers and fries! There is a lot of good food there, but you have to know how to plan and find it.

Too funny, you just reminded me of a trip a few years ago with friends and about 1/2 way through the week they said "We have to find something else to eat, we are SO TIRED of burgers and chicken strips". DH and I just looked at each other and went :blink::drool::) Our 2 families had eaten at exactly the same places the entire time and none of the 4 of us had eaten a burger or chicken yet! Nor did we the entire week. Make sure you check out the entire menu and don't just order the first thing at the top of the menu!