Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have a problem with feeling cold while losing weight?

Now granted I live in New England and this winter has not been kind to us this year. But my problem is that I'm always cold even when others are not, and I don't know why. I notice is more at night. So I went to my regular Dr and she ran blood tests twice to see if I was anemic and the test came back saying I'm not. A few of my friends have said that it could be due to my weight loss of 100 pounds in the last year and I don't have all the padding I use to. But I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or am I just crazy?

Any insight I can get would be great.

Thanks

Heather

I have had to resort to a hot pad to keep warm when I sleep at night since about a week after the surgery and a blanket while sitting a watching TV in the evenings. I never had a problem staying warm before. In fact I used to be called a polar bear because I was always too warm. I don't know if that is a normal process of losing weight with the band because it never was with regular weight loss for me anyhow...

I use to embrace the cold weather due to my weight because i use to sweat all the time in the winter could not wear long sleeves always short sleeve shirts because i was always hot. but after the weight loss i am always cold so i think it is due to the weight my feet is the first to get cold now i walk around the house with a jacket on.

I'm too is cold in the evenings & when i go to bed, sometimes i need 2-3 hot Water bottles to keep me warm with Hot Drinks,

I was never a cold person before losing this weight, t-shirt person huffing & puffing moaning its too hot when they would be saying to me its cold,

i would often wake up in the night throwing the bedding off me & drinking cold water to keep me cool

funny how things have been turned around

Hi, I've lost a total of 27 lbs, which isn't much just yet but enough to make me turn up my thermostat. I was always hot and just like everyone else I was turning down the thermostat all the time. Now I use a blanket when watching TV and I wear a long sleeved shirt now around the house. Go figure?

I've just started on this journey and am also much colder than I've ever been. I was also always the one who would sweat in the winter. In fact, we even got married in January because I didn't want to be sweaty when I got married.

So yes, I'm much colder too. Someone suggested to me that the change in the amount of fat/oil I'm ingesting is contributing to the internal thermostat change which does make real solid sense. I went from a very high fat diet to one with very little and even those are healthy more nutritionally based fats.

I hope this helps!

I've noticed that too. I was always cold before I had the surgery but now i'm even more so. Especially at night. I have to take a hot, hot bath every night before I go to bed because if not I'm too cold.

YES! It's so funny, I was just telling my boyfriend this week that it seems lately I'm always chilly. I used to almost always wear short sleeves indoors, but now I need a sweater, plus a shawl around my shoulders in my office. I wasn't worried about it but still, I'm glad to hear that it's not just me!

I too am cold most of the time after losing 80 pounds. I have had to call the heating oil company several times to fill my oil furnace tank because it was nearly empty. I have never had to do that before. I used to keep my heat on 68 degrees over the winter. This winter I have usually set it on 75-76 degrees. I sleep with 3 blankets on my bed, and wear a sweatshirt sweatpants and socks also under all the covers and the high heat. I was never a cold person before being banded.

I am 14 months out and still have this chilled feeling. Last summer,I slept with flannels, mu DH works outside, so we battle over the thermostat. So I have a quilt I fold in half and place on my side of the bed only. Seems to work fine. My office bldg has always been cold 62-70 with constant air. The summer is nice though, when I work out aans exercise, it takes a little longer for me to sweat, then I actually cool down faster as well. I am not as cold as I was last year, I hear it is all due to the metabolism speeding up burning off all that fat. It is just a small side effectI don't mind dealing with. The weight loss is worth it.

Like Rathsog, I got married in January so I wouldn't be all sweaty on my wedding day but yes, I am freezing all the time. My husband bought us a heated mattress pad with dual control, so I keep my side warm and he keeps his side turned off. He says it reminds him of those heating rocks that you buy when you own a pet lizard. (don't know how I feel about him comparing me to a lizard LOL), and he calls it my force field. So stock up on sweaters and booties, I'd rather be too cold and bundle up then be too hot and not able to cool down.

I would sweat all of the time. Now I am freezing. I never really wore a coat in the winter time, and now I wear a sweatshirt inside. I have been told that had to do with the weight loss. I have also been told it is not just the band. I have a relative that had gastric bypass that is always cold now. I don't know if it is lack of padding, or lack of fat in the diet. I started getting cold after only a few pounds dropped.

This is a great post- I have been freezing my tush off. Two blankets on the bed, and sweaters/hoodies over tshirts in the house at all times. Looking forward to not being the sweaty betty this summer1

Ditto to everything everyone has been saying. This past winter was a nightmare for me! I was always the one who hated the heat, now I am looking for sun to stand in all the time! And I can't believe I have to wear socks and sweaters all the time. BUT, well worth it, huh guys?

Add me to this list!!! I've always been very cold natured, but now it's almost unbearable!

I absolutely can't get warm. My husband keeps telling me nobody should be as cold as I am. I'm walking around the house with a jacket and a blanket around by body, socks on my feet, long pj's to bed, etc!

Glad to know it's not just me!