Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUNE 2009 Lap Band Surgery

OK so I had my first fill 7/13/09 1.2cc and felt no change, which was hard after struggling the 2 weeks prior with no loss and being hungry all the time. Which as I have read on here seems to be the way it goes for a lot of people. Then I had my second fill 7/27/09 + 2cc so I am at a total of 3.2cc. This fill gave me a bit of 'restriction' but only on things like bread or Cereal so far anything else goes down just fine. The "restriction" feeling that I am getting is uncomfortable. And not just a "full" feeling because I don't feel full. Just with a few foods I notice I have a band otherwise I don't. Anyone with real restriction able to describe how it should feel? I know it should not feel uncomfortable and that means you have gone to far. But I will get it after just one bite of some foods and others (mind you not liquids) I can eat 2cups of and I don't notice a thing. Its tricky. I go in for another fill on the 11th so hopefully. I will get some restriction and some sort of sign of when to stop eating without it being uncomfortable. Hope everyone is doing well.

OK so I had my first fill 7/13/09 1.2cc and felt no change, which was hard after struggling the 2 weeks prior with no loss and being hungry all the time. Which as I have read on here seems to be the way it goes for a lot of people. Then I had my second fill 7/27/09 + 2cc so I am at a total of 3.2cc. This fill gave me a bit of 'restriction' but only on things like bread or cereal so far anything else goes down just fine. The "restriction" feeling that I am getting is uncomfortable. And not just a "full" feeling because I don't feel full. Just with a few foods I notice I have a band otherwise I don't. Anyone with real restriction able to describe how it should feel? I know it should not feel uncomfortable and that means you have gone to far. But I will get it after just one bite of some foods and others (mind you not liquids) I can eat 2cups of and I don't notice a thing. Its tricky. I go in for another fill on the 11th so hopefully. I will get some restriction and some sort of sign of when to stop eating without it being uncomfortable. Hope everyone is doing well.

That uncomfortable feeling is your signal to stop immediately. You need to go back to dry foods, particularly meat. Tiny bites-no bigger than an M&M. Chew very well before swallowing. Eat this first after not drinking for half an hour. Do not drink or eat anything juicy or saucy with the meat. No potatoes, or carbs. Do not drink for half an hour after the meal. Eat your veggies between meals or drink v8 between meals. You'll experience restriction and start to get an idea how much meat you can eat. Then start adding veggies to the meal after you've eaten your Protein, add only a little fruit. Better to have a little fruit between meals with yohurt as a snack. The more liquid in your meal, the more you'll be able to eat. The less liquid, the more restriction. Discomfort is your friend. Listen to it.

KPDGAL,

The June Bandsters have been a big help to me...you guys have been my support other than my hubby! I only communicate with June 09 and low BMI bandsters. Congrats on the nuptials!!!

Ifyourstomachoffendsyou - i have to restriction what so ever with meat veggies fruit I don't drink before or during meals so I am not sure what actual restriction feels like. The uncomfortable issue is with bread and cereal which I think is just due to the expanding so I have just stayed away from them. I want to know what it should feel like because I don't think the pain from bread that I get is the same as restriction at least I hope not because it hurts !

That uncomfortable feeling is your signal to stop immediately. You need to go back to dry foods, particularly meat. Tiny bites-no bigger than an M&M. Chew very well before swallowing. Eat this first after not drinking for half an hour. Do not drink or eat anything juicy or saucy with the meat. No potatoes, or carbs. Do not drink for half an hour after the meal. Eat your veggies between meals or drink v8 between meals. You'll experience restriction and start to get an idea how much meat you can eat. Then start adding veggies to the meal after you've eaten your Protein, add only a little fruit. Better to have a little fruit between meals with yohurt as a snack. The more liquid in your meal, the more you'll be able to eat. The less liquid, the more restriction. Discomfort is your friend. Listen to it.

I assume this was advice you got from your surgeon? It is totally different from what I have been told.e.g Dry meat often causes problems, it is better if it is moister. Yes food should not be swimming in liquid but it is OK to have some kind of gravy or sauce.

Also my meals are supposed to be composed of approx 1/3 Protein, 1/3 veg and 1/3 carb - here Dr's are more about balance as opposed to the protein first approach.

I do not think the uncomfortable feeling is a signal to stop as sometimes it happens with the first bite. It could be that the bite is too big, not chewed well enough, that it is too dry or it could be first bite syndrome.

I disagree with the comment that discomfort is your friend. I think the aim is to be able to eat normal foods in smaller quantities without feeling discomfort.

Be careful lots of people have discomfort and often it turns out something is wrong.

We also have to try to learn the difference between full (as in stuffed) and not hungry. We should stop eating when we are no longer hungry as if we are trying to feel full as per previously we may well overdo it.

Ifyourstomachoffendsyou - i have to restriction what so ever with meat veggies fruit I don't drink before or during meals so I am not sure what actual restriction feels like. The uncomfortable issue is with bread and cereal which I think is just due to the expanding so I have just stayed away from them. I want to know what it should feel like because I don't think the pain from bread that I get is the same as restriction at least I hope not because it hurts !

Yeah, restriction hurts. I do get it from bread, which I hardly every eat. But I also get it if i eat just meat. If I don't really chew it well or eat it too fast, I will get that pain. If I add any moist food with it, I don't get as much pain and can eat a lot more.

I assume this was advice you got from your surgeon? It is totally different from what I have been told.e.g Dry meat often causes problems, it is better if it is moister. Yes food should not be swimming in liquid but it is OK to have some kind of gravy or sauce.

Also my meals are supposed to be composed of approx 1/3 Protein, 1/3 veg and 1/3 carb - here Dr's are more about balance as opposed to the Protein first approach.

I do not think the uncomfortable feeling is a signal to stop as sometimes it happens with the first bite. It could be that the bite is too big, not chewed well enough, that it is too dry or it could be first bite syndrome.

I disagree with the comment that discomfort is your friend. I think the aim is to be able to eat normal foods in smaller quantities without feeling discomfort.

Be careful lots of people have discomfort and often it turns out something is wrong.

We also have to try to learn the difference between full (as in stuffed) and not hungry. We should stop eating when we are no longer hungry as if we are trying to feel full as per previously we may well overdo it.

You're right, ELCEE. I was in a hurry when I wrote. I was talking about when I was finally off mushies and my Dr.s emphasis was on protein since I couldn't eat much at all. First soft Proteins and then more solid ones. Eventually I added the other things, (except bread) but I find if I need to experience restriction, I will if I go back to the solider protein with hardly any moistening. The more wet things are, the more things slide and I can eat around the band.

I think of the discomfort as my friend because I have no off switch, no sense of not being hungry anymore. It's been conditioning me to learn what is full because I can forget in a heartbeat.

Thanks for expanding on what I said. I needed to clarify it. It is interesting the difference between various food protocols from different Dr.s. Mine really emphasizes the protein. Things like potatoes were supposed to be eaten only after having the protein. I was told if I wanted potatoes to eat it as a meal once in a great while and then return immediately to mostly protein meals. I was told we don't want to lose muscle while we're losing weight so protein has to come first because its so hard to get enough in or we become nutritionally deprived.

Edited by ifyourstomachoffendsyou

Well, add me to the list too. I'm 3 weeks post-op and experiencing this as well. I saw my surgeon last week, and he says he wants my band to stay empty right now, until it completely heals. My first fill will be on August 13th. It could have been the 6th, but we will be away that entire week!!!! Ahhhh!!!! So, I will trudge along myself and try to follow the rules as best I can. It was/is discouraging and depressing. Last night I went to my first support group though, and that helped a lot. I am going to make sure I check in here every night as well. It helps to know I'm not alone! Last night a nurse said.. you should count your calories and exercise. And I said.. well if I could do that and lose weight I wouldn't have gone through this whole thing!!!!! I was annoyed. lol... She is a toothpick too! grrrrr..... :thumbup::thumbdown::wink:

I totally sympathize with you and many others on here. I was banded on 6/23 and I do not get my first fill until 8/10. I am going to call tomorrow to see if I can move it up to this week.

It was nice in the beginning because I felt a great restriction for the first 2 weeks - then slowly things moved back to normal where I am hungry often.

I lost 10 pounds but was expecting to loose more and not stay at the same weight.

I am under a lot of stress which does not make it any easier. I can eat anything with no problem. I do get full though.

I think the key is to eat frequently like they say. Every 2-3 hours. Take all your Vitamins, exercise often and get your Water in. The Water helps make me full and not wanting to eat.

If anyone else has any suggestions or has experienced the hunger before the first fill - would love to hear from you. These forums are very helpful.

Start Wt/Surgery Wt/Current Wt/Goal Wt

258/227/215/130

Surgery = 6/23/09

First fill = 8/10/09

:scared2:

If anyone else has any suggestions or has experienced the hunger before the first fill - would love to hear from you. These forums are very helpful.

Start Wt/Surgery Wt/Current Wt/Goal Wt

258/227/215/130

Surgery = 6/23/09

First fill = 8/10/09

:thumbdown:

My SUGGESTION............. Enjoy it while you can! Believe me... after your first "GOOD FILL", your life will change dramatically!

Good luck!

My port is NOT flipped after all!! :biggrin: I had been waiting for the insurance company to approve a "port revision" surgery after being told by one of my doctors that my port was flipped. After almost 2 weeks one of the girls in the office told me that the other surgeon in the office would like to see me and told me that he was confident that he would be able to get to my port. I decided to go ahead and let him try... HE GOT IT ON THE FIRST TRY!!! :biggrin: I don't know why the other surgeon had so much trouble.

Anyways, I now have 3cc's in my band and I do feel a little more restriction. I go back in 2 weeks for another fill.

I am so happy that I don't have to have another surgery!!! Thank you to my new doctor!!!

That is such good news. Exactly what I'm dreading though but we shall see what they find. It seems ages since I had the band fitted but have my frst fill this Friday, all being well.

Darlene that is great news, so happy for you. Makes you wonder about some Dr's though doesn't it?

Darlene that is great news, so happy for you. Makes you wonder about some Dr's though doesn't it?

Yes it does!! And to think... I was considering having that doctor do the "port revision" surgery (which I don't need). *My original surgeon opened his own pratice (plastic surgery) right after he did my surgery* The doctor that told me my port was flipped tried for almost 20 minutes to find the port. He stuck me about 3 or 4 times and then moved the needle around inside me for several minutes with each poke. I was so sore in that area for like 2 days. This new doctor/surgeon got the needle in the port on the first try. It only took in a second!! And there was no pain at all!!

Yes it does!! And to think... I was considering having that doctor do the "port revision" surgery (which I don't need). *My original surgeon opened his own pratice (plastic surgery) right after he did my surgery* The doctor that told me my port was flipped tried for almost 20 minutes to find the port. He stuck me about 3 or 4 times and then moved the needle around inside me for several minutes with each poke. I was so sore in that area for like 2 days. This new doctor/surgeon got the needle in the port on the first try. It only took in a second!! And there was no pain at all!!

Hallelujah! What a relief.

I am under 200lbs !!!! So happy today! And a picture to prove it! I have not weighed under 200 since 8th grade.

I am in shock I still cannot believe it. And my mother was so nice today and came all the way to my work and brought me flowers to congratulate me on being under 200. :-) It was so sweet of her to do. She knows how much it means to me.

:ohmy::w00t::):w00t::):w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Now I don't know what my next goal should be. :-) Any ideas? What is everyone doing for goals? I am thinking 10lbs at a time so maybe 190. :-) thoughts?

post-233156-13813138604754_thumb.jpg