Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All MARCH '09 Bandsters - We need a name!

OK..... I survived! It took way longer than expected. Do you guys remember me complaining about a swelling over my port site? Well it ends up it was a seroma. Seromas are REALLY common after any kind of surgery, especially abdominal, breast and colon. Word of the day: "Seroma is just a gathering of serous Fluid.

Serous Fluid is the pale yellow straw colored fluid that is produced by lymph vessels and by the tissues that lie beneath the skin. You'll have seen serous fluid if you've ever had a blister on your hand or foot - the fluid that comes out when you puncture a blister is serous fluid."

The good news is the seroma didn't open to the outside of my skin. Sometimes they can cause the wound to not heal and actually leak and it becomes an "open" wound that has to be packed and is a wound clinic nightmare. The bad news is it will likely return and have to be drained again.

After I was on the exam table... prepped with betadine and a sterile drape placed... my surgeon then palpated the port area. He agreed that my "swelling" wasn't within the normal and decided to see what he would find. (Medical people like to stick needles in things to see what's in it). So, he numbed up the skin first. Then he took a 20cc syringe. Stuck it in and it filled instantly. He asked his nurse for another.. and another and another. He got out 120cc! He said there was probably more but he didn't want to poke too deep. The fluid was clearish yellow (normal) and no sign of infection. Then he went on to find my port. The seroma had actually displaces things a bit. My port ended up being lateral to my belly button a clear 3 inches below my port scar! I got my 3cc and was instructed to be on liquids for 2 days then mush.. then back to normal. I have to return in two weeks for fill #2 and most probably another seroma drainage. It already feels as if it has filled back in some. I will try to post some photos of before and after. He told me very few patients have any restriction with the first fill. 3cc in 10cc realize band. But that they don't do more because of the increase incidence of nausea.

So, I spent my morning feeling like a pin cushion. It really wasn't that bad. After about 10 min. my Dr. said, "you might be one of those rare patients that I have to do under fluoro." This guy has done thousands of bands and bypasses. He teaches surgeons all over how to do them. I honestly think he could do them with his eyes closed.

My gut (no pun intended) instinct was something ain't right. But... he said he wouldn't have drained it earlier anyway... b/c it just increases risk of infection.

I had a shake early this morning (6:30am) made with light soy milk, unjury Protein powder (20g Protein per scoop), 1/2 banana and Divinci raspberry flavor. For lunch I had a Muscle Milk Light (pre-mixed), 160 cal, 20 g protein. For afternoon snack I had a Yoplait light Fat free yogurt, 100 cal, 5 g protein. I haven't had any Water. I am hungry. But this too shall pass. I don't have the energy to exercise today. Guess I will give myself a break today.

I'll keep you updated!

peas out!

Yall I got a weird ? 4 u....I posted this on the post-op ? forum too.......My surgi-strips came off today and I have a mini-but crack were my port site stiches were...Please tell me this goes away.........The skin actually pulls together in a line it ain't pretty........

Hi guy's i was banded on the 6th March all went very well was just wondering i have a strange feeling in my throat it feels like a something stuck in my throat it comes and goes has anyone experienced this

shoes I was just banded on 3/30 and I keep getting a weird feeling off and on just like that.

Hi Laura hate you had to go thru all of that today, so how did the fill actually feel or were u numb?

shoes I was just banded on 3/30 and I keep getting a weird feeling off and on just like that.

Hi Laura hate you had to go thru all of that today, so how did the fill actually feel or were u numb?

hi guys~

regarding the strange feeling in the throat. Hmmm. trying to think what you guys are describing. Does it happen spontaneously or after you have eaten? I've heard of this happening... if you have eaten too fast... or eaten too much.

The fill, i actually felt a tiny bit.. because he had numbed basically a lot higher than where the port actually was. But honestly even without the numbing medicine I could have handled it. IT's no big deal. But keep in mind... 1) I stick needles in people all day for a living. 2) I had 10 IVFs (in-vitro fertilization) for infertility. I had to have blood drawn every other day and sometimes every day... and had to give myself several deep IM injections a day for several weeks at a time. I have sort of developed a tough skin for needles.

I wish I had restriction though. I had this false sense of security ... if I can just make it to my fill! SIGH

hi guys~

regarding the strange feeling in the throat. Hmmm. trying to think what you guys are describing. Does it happen spontaneously or after you have eaten? I've heard of this happening... if you have eaten too fast... or eaten too much.

The fill, i actually felt a tiny bit.. because he had numbed basically a lot higher than where the port actually was. But honestly even without the numbing medicine I could have handled it. IT's no big deal. But keep in mind... 1) I stick needles in people all day for a living. 2) I had 10 IVFs (in-vitro fertilization) for infertility. I had to have blood drawn every other day and sometimes every day... and had to give myself several deep IM injections a day for several weeks at a time. I have sort of developed a tough skin for needles.

I wish I had restriction though. I had this false sense of security ... if I can just make it to my fill! SIGH

I think my buttcrack is now starting 2 look more like a big bellybutton...And HE!! Peascorps I'm not takin a pic...lol:tt2: Correct me if I am wrong you just got a fill and still NADA NOTHING.....Man thats not encouraging I am starting 2 b more hungry....And my doc will only fill once a month I will literally freak if I am constantly hungry......I'm starting to wig out here....:smile:

Pezo: I have the same butt crack at my port site. It's weird and hope it evens out.

As for my progress I'm now on soft solids and it's been interesting. The first time I had something semi solid I wasn't paying attention and bite of too big a piece. I knew I was in trouble the instant I swallowed. I panicked and took a sip of Water to get things moving but that didn't work. The Water came right back up and the piece of meat followed there after. That happened on sunday and my band feels tight and irritated still. I've been more cognizant when I'm eating and have had no issues since.

I have my first fill on 4/13 and I'm a bit nervous because I have pretty good restriction since I've started on solids. I'm worried how I'll feel once I'm a bit tighter.

Also, why do you guys keep using this thread? There's a MArch 2009 sub group in the support forum.

I am soooo glad to hear i'm not the only one having trouble dieting!!!! I love this site, helps me not to feel on my own and like i have failed, infact i feel like i am on track cause i'm the same as most of you phew, lol.

I have lost nearly 20lbs since i was banded 4 weeks ago and yes this may look like steady progress..... but i lost 15lbs in the 2 weeks pre op and 1 week post op and only 5lbs in the last 3 weeks. This includes nothing in this last week!!! I can eat anything, and it is sheer will power to watch what i am eating. The other day i was out shopping and i was starving so i buckled to my growling tummy's request for food and had a diet 6 inch sub. (went down fine tasted great... but came with a helping of guilt, lol and for a diet sub it was still alot of calories compared to what i have been eating) otherwise i have been very good. I have to wait till 6 weeks post op (21st April) to get a fill and they said i may not notice any benfits untill my 3rd fill.... bring it on!!!!

Aurelia ~ welcome. I didn't know about the other group. Should we join or just make a new one for both? BTW, we are almost neighbors. I am just north of Jupiter in Stuart!

Aussie ~yeah, I found it comforting to know that we are all in the same boat. The nurse told me yesterday that it is VERY common during the transition to solids to stop/slow on the losing.

Butt Cracks ~ok you guys. If you have a tiny opening at the top layer of skin (like a deep paper cut) it's ok. If your crack goes several mm down... like through the whole first layer of skin and you see a hole... then you need to see your dr! It can be the start of wound dehiscence. It can start as a tiny hole and then turn into a big open wound. The worry is always infection. If it isn't read or draining and you don't have a fever... ur prob ok. Still get it checked out. I had a deh. on a belly button incision after a lap for endometriosis and it took forever to close. fyi

~it's spring break here in FL and it's 50 degrees right now! burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hey Aussie, I'm getting my first fill on the 21st too. Can't wait. I too can eat anything I want, but am sticking to high Protein and only getting carbs from fruits and veggies...and the occasional cookie:blush:

~it's spring break here in FL and it's 50 degrees right now! burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We had a blizzard last week and it's going to be 72 degrees today.

Hi Conetha,have you mentioned it to your surgeon,i did he said it was swollen tissue i had my op just over 4 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be going its like a dry throat when you eat it feels like something stuck and it lasts for hours its even putting me of eating,not many people seem to have this problem i read somewhere that the band can move up to your oesophagus sorry don't mean to frighten anybody has any one heard of this, when i was on liquids it seemed to settle when i started getting even mushes got it back again im not eating very much had first fill last week he put in 3mils i dont have any restriction yet said it could take two more fills,sorry guys dont want to put any one off if you now anything about this can please let me know:scared2:

Concerning the pain with fills- I had almost all my fills with no numbing medication. It felt the same to me as an IV being put in, a poke but not too bad.

I feel like I have some restriction, compared to not having the band at all, but I am definetly looking forward to having a little bit more.

Peas- are you on solid food today? Do you feel any restriction at all?

Does anybody here eat the instant oatmeal packets in the morning? I have been having1/2-1 packet every morning and I am noticing that it makes me feel very full right after I eat it but than an hour later I am ravishing hungry! It seems like Oatmeal would stay with you longer?

Jennibells,

Did you check the sugar and carb content of the oatmeal?

Your insulun could be spiking and then making you hungry.

Also everyone incase you didn't know we have a whole forum dedicated to march 2009 Bandsters...why are we still using this thread when we have a whole forum!! Yous guys should join the party over there.

March 09 Bandsters - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum