Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have restriction after 1st fill?

I am have my first fill tomorrow 1-26-09 and I was wondering if anybody had good restriction or any? I keep reading how people aren't getting restriction until 2nd and 3rd fill! I really need some restriction, I need some extra help. I was told about 4cc are gonna go in. I have a standard 10cc band. And I'm a bit nervous too, I have seen those needles, no numbing! I just want some good restriction..Willpower is not enough!

I am have my first fill tomorrow 1-26-09 and I was wondering if anybody had good restriction or any? I keep reading how people aren't getting restriction until 2nd and 3rd fill! I really need some restriction, I need some extra help. I was told about 4cc are gonna go in. I have a standard 10cc band. And I'm a bit nervous too, I have seen those needles, no numbing! I just want some good restriction..Willpower is not enough!

Everyone is different. I had restriction just from putting the band in, and restriction from my first fill. I also have the large band, but only got 1cc at each fill, even though 4ccs is standard for a first fill. I am 6 months out and have only had 2 fills.

My friend received 4ccs and felt a little restriction but didn't feel good restriction until after her second.

Good Luck tomorrow!

It isn't just the "fill", but the amount you are filled, and there are conflicting medical opinions on whether or not "aggressive" fills are dangerous or really good. My doctor is on the "no aggressive fills" side and I have had 3 fills, 4.5 cc's total, and only mild restriction occasionally. I am not HAPPY about it, but he was very patient to explain WHY to me, and from what I had read on line (other sites, Med journals etc) I believe he is setting me up for lifelong success, if I can just keep it together!

However, like I said, there are surgeons who believe fills should be fast and big...lots of saline early on. So it will depend on your doc.

If he is a slower type, hang in there. You might want him to give you his reasons....it helps me hang on! :confused:

No restriction after surgery (2 cc's). No restriction after first fill (up to 3.1 cc's). No restriction after second fill (up to 4.6 cc's). Third fill got me up to 5.9 cc's and I have PLENTY of restriction!!! Everyone is different - our bodies are different, our bands are different, our doctors are different, and our weight loss pace is different. It is hard until you feel restriction. Just take it one day at a time, keep yourself busy, and focus on why you had this done and your goal. Good luck to you!!! Becky

I have a 10cc band and after 3 fills I have 5.5ccs and good restriction. My surgeon is of the "slow and steady" fills.

I have personally had my first fill done without numbing, the other two were done with numbing - I asked to have numbing and there isn't any shame in that let me tell you :confused:

Good luck and if you get as much of a fill as you anticipate follow the instructions they give you afterward to the "t"! That is a big first fill :sneaky:

I didnt experience a lot of restriction until after my 3rd fill last week... Dont get discouraged!

I was wondering the same thing!

I see my doctor on Tuesday (1/27) and he said we'd "talk" about getting a fill then. He also said he would not be aggressive with the fills.

I was banded on Dec. 19 and up until this past week, I haven't really been hungry. I am just starting to get a little hungry now, but it's not too bad. I'm hoping if I get the fill it will be enough to curb what little hunger I've had.

Everyone is different. Surgery date 8-27-08, I had 4 fills my band have 4.5cc. I do have restrictions especially this last fill. Hope this is the sweet one.

If you are losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week my Dr. will not give me a fill. I got one this month because I felt I was eating to much. Still less than what I use to eat. He said no fill next month if I lose 7 or more pounds. I go in for a check up every 4 weeks. I do love my band.

Hi guys, I had my first fill last week. I was banded on Dec 19th - had no restriction whatsoever. I tried to diet myself, but had a few slip ups. I ate steak, I had a full plate of chinese food... it was like before I was banded. I just had my first fill 4cc's last week - first of all, it doesn't hurt. The needle is a little bit painful, but it's quick and you shouldn't be nervous.

As for restriction, I felt the band tightening inside me as I was being filled - then nothing... I drank the Water they gave me with no problems, and started eating pretty normal food after a 1 day Protein shake diet. BUT... yesterday I was in the airport in Denver and had a burrito... the Tortilla got stuck!! I hadn't had anything get stuck before, it wasn't nice!!! It only lasted about 2 minutes, but I guess that's the first sign of any restriction.

Now I'm finding that I'm feeling less hungry - although i can still eat a full plate of food... I went to dinner on Friday night and had loads of vegetables... well more than the 1 cup that they talk about. I guess I'll hope to feel more restricted after my next fill.

my doctor is really agressive so when he put in the band he filled it to 3cc's and I had my first fill on friday and he added another 2.75cc's so now I'm at 5.75cc's and I have good restriction. but last week when I still had just the 3cc's I really didn't have too much restriction.

I had restriction from day 1 after surgery.I had to argue with Doc to get 1st fill and then was only given .5cc.I had my doubts but continued to lose weight.When I saw my surgeon again at 9 week check-up thought maybe I would get another .5cc or 1cc.But no she felt my weightloss is good and portion size was good so no fill.I've continued to lose weight and am learning to relax and trust my band to do what it's suppose to do and it is!:( It's hard to trust after a lifetime failure.

I had great restriction after every single fill! The only difference subsequent fills made was how long that good restriction would last - ie. first fill it lasted four weeks, second fill six, by the fourth fill, it lasted 8 months.

I am 2 weeks post op. My Dr. does put some saline in when the band is placed, but I don't know how much (I don't know how big my band is yet either). But, so far I have had really good restriction. I eat 1/3 to half a cup of mushy/soft food at a time. I stay full for 4-6 hours.

At my one week appointment she mentioned, "when you are eating more than a cup at a time, then you come in for a fill". I don't know if that means no fills untill I am eating that much or what.

My next appointment is at the 5 week mark.

I was banded Aug. 4 and woke up with restriction. The first few days I didn't know what was going on so like I have always done for my whole life, if my tummy hurts, I eat/drink something. About a week out, I realized, this is restriction. My tummy hurts because it doesn't want to be any fuller. So here I am, nearly six months out and still without a fill. Part of this process was learning what restriction fills like and then honoring my new stomach and not eating. :(