Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site. I live in Dubai and I'm being banded this Sunday, 25th January. My surgeon has put me on a one week pre-op fat free diet which I am managing to stick to, it doesn't sound as drastic as some pre-op diets I have read about.

The trouble is I am reading about everyone's problems, post op pain, lost ports, things getting stuck etc and I know these things happen but I am really getting scared now and thinking of changing my mind. The only thing that is keeping me going is the thought of being slim.

So my question is... do you have any regrets or would you do it all again? Be honest!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site. I live in Dubai and I'm being banded this Sunday, 25th January. My surgeon has put me on a one week pre-op fat free diet which I am managing to stick to, it doesn't sound as drastic as some pre-op diets I have read about.

The trouble is I am reading about everyone's problems, post op pain, lost ports, things getting stuck etc and I know these things happen but I am really getting scared now and thinking of changing my mind. The only thing that is keeping me going is the thought of being slim.

So my question is... do you have any regrets or would you do it all again? Be honest!

Hi Hope! There are a few threads on this topic, this one being the more recent I can remember. You can 'search' on the word regret and get all kinds of information.

I am extremely happy with the band, only regretting not having it done sooner.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/any-regrets-79318/?highlight=regret

I have no regrets and would do it all over again, even though there are risks associated to the procedure. But really, there are risks associated to any surgery.

Good luck with your decision.

Oh my goodness I do not regret my surgery at all! I did have a port revision and it wasn't a big deal at all - it just "was".

My only regret is not having my surgery sooner, I wish I had woken up and smelled the coffee long before I did.

I spent so long thinking I would be a success story with Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach and The Zone. I also was delusional when it came to the "I am a big boned" or "I am not fat I am fabulous" ah yes the crazy thoughts of a woman over 200 lbs (226lbs actually)

So that being said, I have no regrets :) I hope you feel the same after you have your surgery :wink5: and for whatever reason that you don't have it I hope you find your way that makes you the happiest. Good luck!

I would do it again in a minute! I have absolutely NO REGRETS!

As for all the things you read on here, keep in mind that for the few here with problems/issues, etc. there are thousands more people out there with NO problems with their bands, who are getting on with their lives. Best of luck to you.

Yes, Hope. I have some regrets. I was banded 9/22 with one fill in November. I didn't start out having as much to lose as most posters here. I was under the BMI of 35 right before surgery. In almost 4 years I have lost 60 pounds and none of it is due to the band. I lost it one my own, then with the 6 month pre-op diet then the 2 week pre and 2 week post surgery liquid diet. Lost nothing since. But I have had two HORRIBLE stuck experiences. Especially the last one. Cannot over-emphasize the pain. I have also had persistent shoulder pain since the day of my first fill. When I went for my second fill he wouldn't do it because of the shoulder pain. Now I have to get the dreaded upper GI tomorrow to see if the band is okay (or if it's doing something to cause shoulder pain). I am also older than most posters (58) and at this point in my life I would be happy with about 20 more pounds lost. I am at 183 now. So the way I look at it, I have gone through the pain of surgery and the band has only done one thing - cause food to get stuck. Yeah, yeah, I know - I didn't chew enough or ate the wrong food but that didn't happen before the band. Plus I now have shoulder pain. So something better change soon or yes, I will have regretted this. Plus, after we get additional fills, how will we know if we can tolerate a food unless we want to risk getting stuck? You see many posts about something that was previously tolerated then getting stuck. The band is great for those whose weight loss has truly been life changing for them. That hasn't happened for me. The band is not a natural thing anatomically. That is why you read about so many problems - sliming or vomiting every day or only being able to tolerate liquids. I know the fills need to be adjusted. But even researching this procedure beforehand doesn't prepare you for what your experience will be. And please, no judgemental responses to my post. There's way too much of that on these boards in my opinion. When someone asks for help they don't want a lecture.

Hey everyone,

Not regreted it one bit. I even had some very small complications but well worth how I am feeling just 3 weeks out.

Best of luck

hi I was banded 5th jan I regret it so bad nothing but pain depressed + crying all the time no energy! no support here in singapore. Because you pay for everthing they will band anyone no explaining I am thinking of getting it taken out all I can eat is scrambled egg + hot choc Dr says it is normal will settle

I was banded five and half months ago and this band has changed my life. Yes I sometimes get stuck (not anywhere near everyday though) and I have vomited, too. But I tolerate most foods, I don't count calories - I just eat sensibly, and I exercise 4 times a week now.

I am the lightest I've been in over 15 years. I have more energy than I ever remember having, ever. I am the fittest I've ever been in my life, and my risk of developing diabetes and heart problems (of which I have a strong family history, and was the reason I got the band) have plummeted.

So as much as there are stories where the band has not worked for whatever reason, or has been a nightmare, there are as many, if not more, for whom the band has been a godsend.

Yep, I'd say too that my only regret was taking so long to decide to get it done in the first place.

No regrets. I was banded in May 2008 and am down 50 lbs. Most others are doing better than me. I'm happy with the new me. I only vomit when I don't do what I am suppose to do: eating too fast, chewing too litte, and out of habit eating when I am not hungry. Recognizing this, I do my best to eat very slowly, chew food well, and will power. Oh exercising 4 times a week helps. It's worth it. I haven been this weight in years! Good luck. :tongue:

Hi ladies,

Thanks for all your replies, do keep them coming! You have encouraged me and I am feeling much more positive about having the op done on Sunday. :tongue:

Nessa22, I am really sorry that you are regretting your op and are in pain and depressed. Can your doctor put you in touch with anyone else near to you who has had one done? It would be good for you to meet up with someone. It is still early days for you you must give it time to heal and then a chance to work. Are you taking painkillers? Take things easy and follow the doctors orders. Out of everything I have read on this forum that is the one thing I have learnt...follow the doctors orders and give it time.

Hi Hope09!

I just wanted to add that I've been banded since Nov. 20th and overall, I'm happy with my band. I would say that the hardest thing for me has been the mental issues I have with food. I still have a hard time recognizing when I am satisfied as opposed to being full, which is probably something most people that are overweight will struggle with when it comes to the band. When I'm eating something I'm really enjoying, sometimes I don't want to stop even though I know I should, and I've been frustrated by that. But this process takes time and I'm slowly learning to re-train the way I think about food. The band is definitely the tool that I needed to help me, but it won't perform miracles...I need to do my part, and together, I believe it will work!

Good luck with whatever you decide...I'm sure you'll make the right decision for YOU!

Hi Hope,

No regrets here, in the beginning I was worried because I was not losing much weight. But I was patient and got the appropriate fills, now I am happy... just wish I had done it sooner!

I have been banded a little over a month. I must admit the weight loss for me is slow even following the pre and post op diet, but I have no regrets. The pain for me lasted about 2 days and was tolerable with the pain meds. The food does get stuck if you dont take small bites and chew thoroughly. That feeling last a few short minutes. Dont drink fluids or it will come right up. Stick with it, it is well worth the pain. I have learned the band only adds assistance to weight loss and the key is what you eat and exercise. Good luck. Be patient, and be strong. There are more success stories with lap band than there are disaster stories. Remain optimistic and you'll be fine.