Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

biggest loser - '09

Helen was 117 at the finale, she had lost 140 pounds (down from 257 when she started). I'm not sure where you read that the show had her put back on 20lbs, but it's only been 6 days since the finale, and I don't see the show telling her to gain weight after the finale is over. And I don't think her body could have handled 97lbs!

wow, I read that when she got down to 117 they told her she needed to put back on 20, the way it was worded I assumed she had been told this like 2-3 weeks ago. I didn't realize she was 117 at the weigh in. That definately has me rethinking my goal hearing all of you talk about how she looked. My DR says 125 I've been saying 115...thanks for clarifying

The older we are, the more meat we need on our bones.

When I was in high school and my early 20's, I was 120. I don't think I could carry 120 well nowadays and have my goal set for 140 (though I reserve the right to adjust it once I get to 140 if I feel I need to be, say, 135 or so :laugh:).

Helen looked good in her dress (though thin), but when they put her in the tee and shorts, she just looked underfed. People are right -- Tara looked healthy. Jerry also looked horrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he lost all that excess weight, but I could NOT believe he was only 65!! He looked at least 75, and again, he just looked underfed.

The older we are, the more meat we need on our bones.

That's an interesting aspect of our journeys - how low can we go? :laugh: It's been so long since I was at a "normal" weight - since before I turned 12 - I have no idea what a normal adult weight will be for me...

When I was in high school and my early 20's, I was 120. I don't think I could carry 120 well nowadays and have my goal set for 140 (though I reserve the right to adjust it once I get to 140 if I feel I need to be, say, 135 or so :smile:).

I think I'll just kinda wing it - I hope to get to around 160, maybe even 150, but I'm tall (nearly 6 feet) so I may not be able to get that low. If I start to look bad, I'll probably not go as low...

Helen looked good in her dress (though thin), but when they put her in the tee and shorts, she just looked underfed.

I agree with you there - the dress was pretty on her and she looked good, but in shorts she did look over-thin.

People are right -- Tara looked healthy.

Tara looked fantastic!

Jerry also looked horrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he lost all that excess weight, but I could NOT believe he was only 65!! He looked at least 75, and again, he just looked underfed.

Yep, definately - Jerry would look better with some additional muscle weight, but at 65, it may be harder for him to gain muscle. Perhaps a few more pounds would be okay...

I would imagine with the focus always being on losing, the contestants would be prime candidates for "over losing" and getting too thin. I'm surprised we haven't seen anyone trigger into anorexia as a result of it...if someone was borderline, that would certainly send them over the edge, don'tcha think?:wub:

I would imagine with the focus always being on losing, the contestants would be prime candidates for "over losing" and getting too thin. I'm surprised we haven't seen anyone trigger into anorexia as a result of it...if someone was borderline, that would certainly send them over the edge, don'tcha think?:eek:

It would be interesting to find out how many people go from the overeating eating disorder to the anorexia eating disorder. I haven't specifically heard of it, but that's not to say it has never happened. I would personally think the old overeating habits would be more likely to take over once the competition is over and the money is won.

Though I really love to watch these people lose weight, I am also disturbed by many aspects of the show -- namely that it's all about the number and we hear nothing about healthy eating, healthy habits, and people are over-exercised to the point that they are injuring themselves. And then they come on a show looking like Jerry and Helen. It's just sad, really...

I've read some articles that indicate that "addictive" personalities - those addicted to food, alcohol or drugs - sometimes end up "switching" addictions. Their personality traits still lend them to being addicted to something, and they switch from bad stuff to exercise.

Though I don't have this issue, I, like Beth, would have assumed that people would revert to prior bad habits with food. That's what we've seen in the tabloids and on web sites - Biggest Loser contestants struggling to keep the weight off once the show is over.

I've never understood anorexia - and I feel bad for those who suffer with it. I do know of someone addicted to exercise...she was a bank teller at one of our local institutions. Always thin, but usually healthy-looking. Over the past 5 years or so, she has gradually gone from thin and healthy looking (she has a small frame) to looking almost skeletal. If she were younger (she appears to be around my age, maybe a bit older) she would make a decent supermodel - she's that thin now. She's always out walking - seemingly for hours at a time...or in the gym on the aerobics machines (that was a couple of years ago when I was there too).

I almost want to say something, but I don't feel I know her well enough to do that...I just hope she really is healthy and I just don't know it...:eek:

But then who am I to judge? :sad:

I've known people who were a bit chubby to resort to anorexia, usually either in response to teasing about their weight, or simply because they feel out of control in other areas of their lives, and eating is the one area they can control with an Iron fist.

I haven't known anybody to go from being way overbese to becoming anorexic, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Maybe replacing it with excessive shopping, sex, or drugs/drinking, gambling, that sort of thing -- but who knows? Maybe it does happen.

The fact is, eating to excess like we do is often an emotional response to life's issues. Anorexia is typically a control issue. They're closely related but triggered by different things. My sister is a recovering bulemic and was teetering on anorexia as well, so I know a little bit about this issue.

Though it would also be considered an addiction like overeating is, the situations are typically different. However, I could see both being replaced with other equally damaging addictive traits. I just think the eating portion of those addictive issues are based on different reasons.

Edited by BethFromVA
clarification

I thought when I saw Helen on The Ellen show after she won, she said she weighed 114.

I thought when I saw Helen on The Ellen show after she won, she said she weighed 114.

If so, she lost three more pounds. She was 117 at the official weigh-in. Egads, woman needs to eat her a sammich now! :purplebananna:

This morning Tara was on the radio show I listen to, it's based in Manhattan and she's in Long Island, so it was really cool that they got her. I can honestly say it was one of the longest interviews they've had with people, and one of the first times they never said anything bad after they hung up the phone with her.

She has such an awesome outlook on life now, even though she mentioned that her life is falling apart--she lost the Biggest Loser and she also just lost her job. The DJs were trying to help her find a new job by asking what kind of job she's looking for--in the hopes that someone listening would have something for her!

I hope they put up a Podcast for it (they don't do it for everything), if they do I'll post the link. I was so happy to hear from her outside the ranch.

I would love to listen to that. It really was sad that she only lost by 6 lbs. They don't give any money to the 2nd place winner, do they? She did win 10 grand at one of the challenges.

I believe all 3 won money.

I believe all 3 won money.

Unfortunately that's not true. 1st place wins 250k and the 1st place at-home wins 100k. No one else gets anything, except their health of course.

Ah, that sucks. I know there were a few past seasons that the 2nd and 3rd place got money as well, I wasn't positive about this season.

I was pretty sure Tara wouldn't win. The way they determine the winner is screwing IMO and favors those who start heavier.

Let's put it this way, if I had 100 lb. to lose and you had 150, then I could lose all 100 lb. and you could lose less than that and you'd still beat me.