Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

biggest loser - '09

You know who I think is a hottie. Ron's son Mike. He's absolutely adorable and is gonna be even cuter when he's lost more weight. It's mind-boggling to know he's lost like 120lbs already!

I was thinking that very thing this past Tuesday.

Another one who is looking very good in most shots these days is Helen. She really has a pretty face, and it's really coming out now.

Heh, I thought you were serious until the QUOTE function revealed that your emoticon was 'bored'. :)

Actually I was, lol! I didn't know it means "bored," I thought it emoted "consternation." Or "constipation," either one. :crying:

That's really a shame, especially if the show is about truly helping people for the long run. :)

I think that's what they try to feed the public, but this show truly is anything but, IMHO. I don't think working out for 8 hours a day and losing 120 Lbs. in 2 months is very healthy. But again, just my 2 cents.

Another one who is looking very good in most shots these days is Helen. She really has a pretty face, and it's really coming out now.

I don't know what it is about Helen but I really don't care for her all that much. Since she wanted to stay over her daughter kind of gave me the impression she thinks only of herself. She still gives me that impression to this day by alot of the things she says.

Again, just my opinion!

I think that's what they try to feed the public, but this show truly is anything but, IMHO. I don't think working out for 8 hours a day and losing 120 Lbs. in 2 months is very healthy. But again, just my 2 cents.

Well, this is true! It's hard for me to complain about them not giving these people guidance on eating when their workout routines are so out of the norm. If their results light the fire under some of our butts, then I guess that's good, but it seems to me that most of the contestants from TBL have regained much if not all of their weight after leaving the show. That's very sad.

I don't know what it is about Helen but I really don't care for her all that much. Since she wanted to stay over her daughter kind of gave me the impression she thinks only of herself. She still gives me that impression to this day by alot of the things she says.

Again, just my opinion!

Oh, I agree. I don't know what it is, but I'm not feeling a "connection" to her. But some of the shots they do of her, her face is getting very pretty.

I was wondering how many have gained the weight back. If I had to work my a$$ like they do I would try like hell not to gain it back once I left the show.

I think they should have a BL with former contestants who gained the weight back and each one would switch trainers like they did this season. For me that would be interesting TV.

I think they'll all gain it back eventually. The only way to lose weight and keep it off without WLS is to lose very, very gradually so that your body's set point has time to adjust and catch up. That's the opposite of what they do on BL.

I think they'll all gain it back eventually. The only way to lose weight and keep it off without WLS is to lose very, very gradually so that your body's set point has time to adjust and catch up. That's the opposite of what they do on BL.

I'm losing very, very slowly with plateaus at every 5 lbs or so, does that mean I won't gain back the weight I've lost so far?

Well, you have a band, so that puts you in a different category.

This is the big problem I have with the show. Without WLS, depending on how long-term the study is, the people who keep 50% of their excess weight off is in the single digits. Anywhere from less than 1% to a whopping 5%. That's essentially no one.

The BL people may do a bit better than average because they are in the spotlight and that gives them extra motivation. But the odds are just completely against them.

There is some lady who managed to lose over 100 pounds and keep it off for more than 5 years and she runs around telling other people how to do it. Well, first off, she only lost something like 10-25 lb. a year! No one wants to do it that way so not many follow her program. :thumbup: But science says that's the way to do it. You have to lose less than whatever weight your body decides there is a famine. Once it decides there is a famine, all the self-survival systems kick into play and fight the weight loss.

But, in our case, our surgery allows us to be happy on a lot less food. So we aren't in the same bucket as someone who loses 100 lb. in 7 months (or so) and is hungry all the time and so can't keep it off. That's the bucket the BL people fall into.

I feel so sorry for them, because I've been there. I've lost enormous quantities of weight and got to goal several times. But hunger kept me from staying there and I just gained it all back. It's horrible to be in that position -- to know what you need to do to keep off the weight and not be able to do it because you are starving all the time. As most of us know from experience.

This is why my surgeon does this work, btw. He says if being fat was just a matter of us gluttons eating too much chocolate ice cream because we have no self-control, he wouldn't bother.

Ahhhh, so many things to say!

I was curious about Kristin's "medical problem" too, because usually it's not a secret if someone is hurt.

I'm glad Aubrey got sent home. Yes, it's a game and they could have made a better choice, but one thing I'm always leery of is that someone will be kept around WAY too long because they aren't a threat, but then they last so long that it looks like they're really good. I really only think it's fair that if someone doesn't do the work and constantly falls below the yellow line, they just don't deserve to be at the ranch anymore, forget about the "game."

Dan is awesome! He was my favorite from the beginning, he's so cool but he just couldn't get into it. I'm glad he's doing fairly well.

Oh btw, Eric (that gained the weight back) is from Season 3...I only know because I've been watching the old seasons again lately :thumbup: One episode of BL a week isn't enough!

Tara is just too cool. I almost cried when she was going to leave and I was bouncing on the couch when she pulled ahead of Sione in the challenge. DH thought I was going crazy. I really hope she kicks out of her plateau, I really don't want to see her get sent home!

GO HOME RON!!

Here is an article I received in my email today....just a little of what will happen tomorrow night. Can't wait to see Ali!

Unlucky Number 13?

Week 13 brings threats back to the ranch

On tomorrow night's Biggest Loser, the nine remaining players at the ranch get a threatening surprise: Three eliminated players are back. But just one of them will get to return to ranch competition. Who will it be?

The game swaps one Ali for another this week when season-five champion Ali Vincent emcees the activities while host Alison Sweeney takes time off to be at home with her newborn baby girl. Congrats, Ali!

The physical challenge is all about balance and has contestants standing on a platform suspended six feet over a pool of Water. At the weigh-in: more surprises and not all of them good. Several unlucky players face disappointing numbers, leading to an emotional elimination round. We're in singles competition now, and all loyalties are in question. Who will make it to week 14 at the ranch? We'll be watching and waiting to see.

Yes, Mike is going to be a total 10 when he's done with his journey! If I was 20 years younger, oh my......:thumbup: And Helen looks absolutely fabulous too. I think she is really pretty and going to be one hot momma!

The BL season 1 winner (Ryan) gained his back as well...... See the article below and click on the different BL Seasons:

Where are the 'Biggest Losers' now? - 'Biggest Loser' on TODAY

Looks like Ali is still doing great! We'll see her tomorrow night.

One of my favorite contestants was Matt Hoover, he has gained some of his weight back and so did she - his wife who was 3rd runner up durring the same season. He ended up proposing to her. They have had two children now and I saw them on Larry King live. They said the hardest thing was keeping the weight off and keeping up with exercise. ON the show, exercise is your job ( they usually put in 5 hours a day), but in real life, it just doesn't work that way.

Edited by Sunshine2

The BL season 1 winner (Ryan) gained his back as well...... See the article below and click on the different BL Seasons:

Where are the 'Biggest Losers' now? - 'Biggest Loser' on TODAY

Looks like Ali is still doing great! We'll see her tomorrow night.

One of my favorite contestants was Matt Hoover, he has gained some of his weight back and so did she - his wife who was 3rd runner up durring the same season. He ended up proposing to her. They have had two children now and I saw them on Larry King live. They said the hardest thing was keeping the weight off and keeping up with exercise. ON the show, exercise is your job ( they usually put in 5 hours a day), but in real life, it just doesn't work that way.

In looking through all the past contestants listed, virtually all of them have gained 20+ pounds back. Ali has only gained three. Good for her!

In looking through all the past contestants listed, virtually all of them have gained 20+ pounds back. Ali has only gained three. Good for her!

Ali was recently in Womens Health magazine and she stated that she has been able to maintain her loss by doing 1 hour of cardio in the am, and she does another in the evening, and she does strength training 3x's per week. So she basically puts in at least 2 hours at the gym a day.

Most of the contestants lose more weight then they really want to maintain at the finale. They drop as low as possible in hopes of winning the grand prize, but normally they know they will put some back on because the weight at the finale is not where they want to stay or its not a weight they can maintain. Many of them eat nothing but Water and celery for days leading up to the finale and as soon as the finale is over, they gain weight back just be eating normally. The show has some rules that say you could be disqualified for being so dehydrated, but so far, they have not enforced those rules. I remember Kai saying she ate nothing but brocoli for a week before the finale.

They work so hard on the show, and after to lose the weight, its a shame they put it back on. It all gets down to, you have to lose weight for yourself. Losing too fast just isn't realistic long term either. Its great for those who have been able to maintain the loss, but as you can see, most do not. Makes me so happy for my silicone buddy. My band will help me maintain!

Ali said she was going to get back up to 128 to 130, but has been able to maintain at her 125 weight. She looks so good!

I am reading Matt Hoover's blog - season 2 winner - interesting read and its nice to know that even men struggle with the scales as well - lol here is the link; Matt Hoover