Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Banding Work if you're over 50?

Hi All.

I'm new here - just beginning my liquid diet to loose 15 lbs before my surgery in Feb. I've pointedly asked my surgeon what are the realistic weight loss number for those over 50. And honestly she was very evasive.

I'd like to loose 100+ pounds. Is this possible? How is everyone else doing?

I am 53 male and it is indeed possible to lose 100 lbs with the band.

It will just take a few years but definitely can be done

I'm not 50, just a baby of 41, lol. But of course its possible!

I think you have to really realise that band statistics are just averages. And when you consider weight loss surgery statistics, you're not considering only how people's bodies work over 50, you're considering people's BEHAVIOUR.

Sure, it was much harder (and slower) to lose weight getting banded at 37 than it was in my early 20's. My body had been through significant changes, borne 3 children, I had an entirely different lifestyle. But i have a better (stronger, fitter, and more attractive) body now than I did at this weight in my late teens/early 20's.

I would hazard a guess that more of the over 50 group struggle with the exercise part of the equation - a large percentage for example would consider walking daily as adequate exercise. Not that there is anything bad about walking, great daily exercise, it will keep you out of the cardiac ward, for the first part of your weight loss journey, it is ample and will help speed your weight loss along. It gets harder at the other end, you need more vigorous stuff, weight training etc and that can be hard to even think about when you're out of condition, obese and not 18 years old. You dont really even need to think about it at first, but see how you feel as the weight comes off.

The point is, it really is up to you, its a function of what you want to achieve and what you're prepared to do to achieve it. I'm certainly not suggesting that you must spend 2 hours a day in the gym, but the choice is there to do it if you want to. Losing 100lb is your choice also!

The reason your doc was close lipped is probably because choosing to really throw yourself in the deep end like that is less common in older AND younger patients. Many many people get banded, eat less and lose some weight, end of story. Some get banded, work the band, exercise smart and hard and lose TONS of weight. You can be in whichever group you choose.

Edited by Jachut

Well I sure hope so. I really don't understand why it wouldn't. I am 50 exactly, and was banded 6 mos ago and am already down 86 lbs. So I'm optimistic. And no I don't exercise super intensely. I do exercise, I can't run like Jachut with my knee pain (looking at a replacement maybe next year) but I do the elliptical, recumbant bike and I do weights. I think whether or not it's possible depends on the patient and how willing they are to follow the 'bandster rules'. The band works only as good as you work the tool.

YES, YES, YES, I am 58 and was banded in August. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I joined a gym in October and have never been in this good of shape in my life!

I love the band and how I feel! Best of luck on your journey to good health!

I was banded in June 2008 at the age of 60. I was told my weight loss would be slower than younger people due to my age and exercise level. I am now 5 months out and have lost 76 pounds. I am not able to exercise due to severe arthritis of the knees...walk with a cane...and have a desk job. I imagine the next 5 months won't be as productive in the weight loss arena, however, each pound in the right direction is a pound I don't have to carry around for the rest of my life. I think a lot of your success depends on your ability to follow the band rules.:wink2:

I was banded on 08-11-08 and have lost 58 pounds so far. I turned 59 in September, so yes it does work over fifty, if you work it. Like everyone says, the band is a tool for weight loss and if you do what you are suppose to do it will work.

Wow! An impressive amount of weight has been lost by the over 50 crowd...(not to mention by the younger audience too :wink2:)

Thanks so much everyone for easing my mind...It definitely sounds like it's worth the work.

Hi All.

I'm new here - just beginning my liquid diet to loose 15 lbs before my surgery in Feb. I've pointedly asked my surgeon what are the realistic weight loss number for those over 50. And honestly she was very evasive.

I'd like to loose 100+ pounds. Is this possible? How is everyone else doing?

I was 52 when I was banded lost 100 lbs in 1 yr 1 week and have lost another 12 since then..

The band isn't the what makes you lose the weight - it you - the band is only a tool - it helps with Portion Control but it doesn't make your food choices or exercise for you.

It really is all about the lifetime lifestyle changes - it's about eating healthy and exercise

I have a few friends over 50 and they have lost 100 lbs - it's doable if you want to accomplish that goal..

I can tell you I feel 10 yrs younger - have tons more energy and don't know why I wasted so many years being fat and telling myself I was ok with it...

Good Luck on your journey...........

126 lbs. That's what I still need to lose. I believe I can do it, if I will only follow the bandster rules and exercise daily!

I was 50 when I had my band operation and I've lost 146 pounds since November 2007. Sure, losing 100 pounds is possible, so long as you remember to change your lifestyle, exercise, eat healthy foods, have a great support network and know that your band is a tool, not the answer in itself.

It took me 8 months to lose 100 pounds. Just go for it!

I have not yet been banded, but glad to know that I can still lose weight at 55. I'm in the begining stages, and still not sure, but reading the previous post everyone is very pleased with their outcome. I am a diabetic (type 2) and take insulin 2x a day. losing weight will really help me a lot

I was banded on 11/6/08, I went for my 6 week post op today! I have lost 24 pounds in the 6 weeks and 37 pounds total. :thumbup: I would say it works!:biggrin: