Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Banding Work if you're over 50?

Hi there. I have been banded for seven weeks now and have lost about 24lbs. As many before have said -as long as you obey the band rules and eat carefully and well you will lose weight. I walk gently twice a day about 1 mile in total so I am at the very early stages of my new excercise programme. Later when i have lost more weight i will step up the walking. I have decided to step up my walking every 14lbs . I eat heaps of fish which I adore and dont in any way feel deprived. I eat Soup salad cooked vegies and always have the same Breakfast every day-its yummy. I grate an apple and a small peach then add one spoonful of full fat yogart and a few walnuts. i sit and savour the flavours and eat slowly and chew well. Try it its a great start to the day. I always drink a large glass of Water before I eat and have a mug of tea or Decaf coffee.I had my first fill and found a minimal restriction but i am not allowing the fills to dictate how I eat instead i take the atitude that i need to eat better than ever before cause I deserve to feel well. Go for it girl oh ps I am 54 years young!!:laugh:

I think that losing 100 lbs is indeed posible. I'm 52 yo and started this journey at a svelt 376 lbs!! I was banded on 12/04/08 and have lost 55 lbs so far since my initial consultation. Heck, I only have another 100 lbs to go to reach my goal weight. Good luck on your own personal journey and Merry Christmas!!!

Of course it's possible to lose 100 pounds if you follow the rules like everyone has said. I think because of our age it might take a little longer than you would like. I cheat so I expect my loss to be slower than some but it's still SO WORTH IT!!!

I will be 52 in February... I have tried EVERYTHING... Weight Watchers, Xenedrine, Hoodia, FatBlocker, phentermine, B12, Gym, Atkins............ I would lose 30-40 pounds only to put that back on and then some! For 20 years, I have fought this battle! I KNOW I am on the right track now! I have lost 48 pounds so far and getting stronger and more determined every day! I think a lot of it depends on the person, the amount of determination you have, your support system, amoung other factors........ but the band is a TOOL that can help us meet our goals and realize the person we could/want to be! Good Luck!

: Does Banding Work if you're over 50?

I'm not 50, just a baby of 41, lol. But of course its possible!

I think you have to really realise that band statistics are just averages. And when you consider weight loss surgery statistics, you're not considering only how people's bodies work over 50, you're considering people's BEHAVIOUR.

Sure, it was much harder (and slower) to lose weight getting banded at 37 than it was in my early 20's. My body had been through significant changes, borne 3 children, I had an entirely different lifestyle. But i have a better (stronger, fitter, and more attractive) body now than I did at this weight in my late teens/early 20's.

I would hazard a guess that more of the over 50 group struggle with the exercise part of the equation - a large percentage for example would consider walking daily as adequate exercise. Not that there is anything bad about walking, great daily exercise, it will keep you out of the cardiac ward, for the first part of your weight loss journey, it is ample and will help speed your weight loss along. It gets harder at the other end, you need more vigorous stuff, weight training etc and that can be hard to even think about when you're out of condition, obese and not 18 years old. You dont really even need to think about it at first, but see how you feel as the weight comes off.

The point is, it really is up to you, its a function of what you want to achieve and what you're prepared to do to achieve it. I'm certainly not suggesting that you must spend 2 hours a day in the gym, but the choice is there to do it if you want to. Losing 100lb is your choice also!

The reason your doc was close lipped is probably because choosing to really throw yourself in the deep end like that is less common in older AND younger patients. Many many people get banded, eat less and lose some weight, end of story. Some get banded, work the band, exercise smart and hard and lose TONS of weight. You can be in whichever group you choose.

Jacqui

glitter_maker_11_21_2007_01_44_03_73965.gif

Jachut, I agree with you, but I have to add that walking has treated me well! Being 54 with arthritis we have to do the best with what we have to work with. I could do a lot more at 41 than I can do now. I picked a large HILL to do my walking. It really packs in quite the workout! I go up one hill, down the hill, then back up. First time thought I would die, but it can be done!

Every day is a challenge, but we have to find our own way.

I find the best tool is keeping the problem food out of the house and setting rules and sticking to them.

So, my answer is YES we can all do it!!!

Edited by maryrose

Yes, :):thumbup::thumbup:over 50 is the best age for banding. . Surgery 1/15/08. Lost #140 pounds. Feeling good! Good Luck, Hasta Pronto, George 55 Y.O.

I was banded 09/07 and I have last 81 lbs so far. I knew I would have a hard time to begin with. I have many medical problem plus unactive thyroid. So it can be done by anyone. You will feel like a new person.

:lol::thumbup:

Hi, I noticed you are in Raleigh, NC. I am just outside of Greensboro and just turned 57 in Dec. I have currently finished all of the appointments that the insurance requires so I'm waiting for the approval process to go through. I received a postive result from the Breath Tek test so had to go through 14 days of antibotics and am waiting to be retested. If it comes back negative, I hope to be banded within a couple of months (not sure how far out the Dr. is scheduling surgery now).

Any tips from a fellow North Carolina person will be great.

I was banded in August and have lost about 50#, I will be 57 in a few months:cool:

I am 58. I was banded on 11/14/08 and have lost 49 pounds so far. I am so happy I made the decision to be banded and don't regret it for a minute. I have so much more energy and flexibility. I look forward to losing another 49 pounds!

TOTALLY worth it! As stated previously, if you work with the band as a TOOL, work on the way you think about food and exercise, you can do this. I was banded Nov. 07 and lost 100 pounds by the end of 2008. I'm 54 and this is doable. Good luck!!!

This is just and example of what the band can do if you are over 50 and do the work - Take you from being a total slug bug and turn you in to a Zip Lining Mamma!!!!

well I am 52 and getting banded June 12th. I can see there are many here that have lost weight just fine...I want to be in that club!

well I am 52 and getting banded June 12th. I can see there are many here that have lost weight just fine...I want to be in that club!

Congrats on your date. It's the best thing I ever did for me - just remember it's not a diet but truly a lifestyle change - your band is just a tool - the work is up to you to make the changes needed to become successfull..

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks - well that's b.s. I have learned what it takes to become healthy... If I can do it anyone can..

Good Luck - Prayers for a safe surgery and speedy recovery..