Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Banding Work if you're over 50?

I just had mine done in November and I'm 51. I just reached my 50 lb loss 2 weeks ago. I am going in on thursday to see if I need 1 last fill or at least to see if I need it tweeked. I can pretty much eat most things I ate before but in much smaller portions and I do go to the gym since I don't have the room at my home to get equipment I enjoy. I love not feeling hungry all the time either. I can afford to eat better foods because it takes a lot less to fill me up.

I thought of the lapband for almost a year. I used that time to do major research, thinking and interviewing many people who have had it done, who had been thinking about it and those that had all the negative you'd want to hear before making such a big decision. When I decided to have it done, it was very apparent to me that this was and is going to be a total lifetime change because obviously everything I had tried just didn't work for the lifestyle I have. As for the complications, I didn't really have any at all. Yet my husband does have a problem with bread as it makes him gag. Bread is my weakness and I thought that I would simply die without it and my diet cokes! Funny how now I love my tea and hard toast. I do not miss that freshly baked french bread doused in butter downed with that coke! In fact I think I hear my body gaging by just thinking about it. UGH! It litterally makes me angry with myself thinking of all that damage I have done to my body! Any way...sorry but I have a tendency to yak away...hope you think about it and just go with your own choice. It is your body.

Congrats Califdreamer! You are doing great. Age is a number, and we are all stil young! My father passed away at 96. if I make it there, I have at lest 33 more years to live. I want to look my best. You all might laugh, but I used to worry that if something happened, the EMTs would not be able to lift me to get me on the gurney. I am glad that I am now a normal weight!!!Great going an best wishes to all. Karen

I am 52 and banded exactly two yrs ago. I reached my drs goal in a year, and have not lost to reach my personal goal... but I have had some set backs... but YES it works!!!!!! The stories of rapid results always make me a little discouraged, for me it was fast at first and has crept since.. it is what it is, everyones metabolism and health issues and lifestyles are different. Realize your path will be unique like you are. But test yes he's it does work!

I am 52 and banded exactly two yrs ago....

But test yes he's it does work!

That was "yes yes yes it does work!" Lol!

I am 57, was banded in April , and have lost seventy pounds in six and a half months. I love my band ! I have hopes (and plans) of losing another 56 pounds . It's nice to have a forum like this one so we can see how others in our age group are doing.

I was banded June 12, 2013 and I gave lost almost 110 pounds so far. I am 50 years so yen.s it is possible.

Its wonderful to hear so much success and happiness! Yay!

~hiddn

56 when I was banded. 57 now, 104 pounds lighter. Below my doctors goal by 8 pounds, and looking to shed probably another 10 as my running gets back into high gear post Tummy Tuck surgery a month ago. So, yes, it does work!

This series of questions and answers was done way back in 2008 and some up to 2013 and I had been banded since 1/16/14 and I am 57 (almost) so I am only 6 weeks post-op and have lost 24 lbs so far...first fill is tomorrow...2/27/14 and am sure that I am going to lose all the weight I need to lose. It's all in how you eat and try to get some exercise in there too...walking will be my favorite thing to do.

Edited by Mikee57

This series of questions and answers was done way back in 2008 and some up to 2013 and I had been banded since 1/16/14 and I am 57 (almost) so I am only 6 weeks post-op and have lost 24 lbs so far...first fill is tomorrow...2/27/14 and am sure that I am going to lose all the weight I need to lose. It's all in how you eat and try to get some exercise in there too...walking will be my favorite thing to do.

I wish this forum would reactivate, and all of us "late baby boomers" could socialize. I had my surgery done on Aug 22, 2013. At my highest weight that I know of (Jan of '12), I was 327. When I had surgery last August, I was 271. I'm now at about 219. I don't really know my actual weight bc I only get on the scale at the doctor's office (I have scale issues.... LOL). I'm 53 (going to be 54 at the end of next week). My husband is 54. We joined a gym in June of 2013, and we are there SIX DAYS A WEEK. He's lost 50+pounds by working out and making better food choices, we are both in better shape NOW than when we were in our 30's and 40's.... Seriously! Keep posting, LET'S TRY TO GET THIS "FIFTIES" THREAD GOING AGAIN!!!!

Agree...would like to be interacting with a +50 group as well. Not that there is anything wrong with the younger set, I just don't have the same challenges--pregnancy, for example--and would welcome dialogue with others doing the midlife thing.

You've done really well and are working hard! Well done! It's great your husband is on board as well. My boyfriend should be on board but isn't...at least not anymore...and that really is a major annoyance for me.

Anyway, I'm 54 and grateful for my band. Whoever says one can't lose weight at midlife is wrong, or just looking for an excuse not to put the work into it.

I was banded Dec 2011 at age 53 weighing in at an unhealthy 225 lbs. Now im a healthy 160 lbs with a weight goal of 140. I seem to have plateaud at 160 for over a year now, and hey this may be my bodys way of saying 160 is fine for me, but its also because the extra 20 lbs I carry is all in my tummy. Umm, oh well !! I figure im healthy and strong , I ve had a child, ive gone through menopause, and so I may not ever get back to 140. But you know whats reaaaaaly nice ?? I have a better figure now than I did in my 20s at 125 lbs !! Why? Because the weight that I gained in my chest stayed after I lost 65 lbs and so now I have a very nice figure that im VERY happy with ! A male aquaintance that I ran into yesterday said " Dont lose another pound , you're perfect just the way you are! " Why, thankyouverymuch!!!!!

It sure is nice to have someone say such a nice thing to you about you...... Whether you're 30, 40, or 50!!!!! I'm about 28-30 pounds away from the weight I was when I got married. I mean I weighed a lot (190), but looking back on my wedding pictures, I think I looked just fine!!!! LOL

It will be interesting to see if I can get back to that weight.....I'm six months with the band. Dropped about 55-56 before surgery and 50 or so since surgery, so we'll see..... A day at a time, RIGHT????

I am 56 years old, lost close to 100 lbs in 2 years, and did a triathlon last September, so it is possible!!!