Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Banding Work if you're over 50?

Hey 50ish ladies...I am only about 8 weeks out and am having issues with eating to fast it seems, any suggestions? Or is it merely I shouldn't eat in the mornings? It seems no matter what I try to eat in the mornings I have difficulities with? It is frustrating!!! Thanks for some pointers!!!

Hey 50ish ladies...I am only about 8 weeks out and am having issues with eating to fast it seems, any suggestions? Or is it merely I shouldn't eat in the mornings? It seems no matter what I try to eat in the mornings I have difficulities with? It is frustrating!!! Thanks for some pointers!!!

I personally only drink coffee in the morning. Never was much of a Breakfast eater even before the band (I like breakfast foods, just not in the morning). As far as slowing down, I'm a work in progress. I have to really pay attention (in other words, I can't be scarfing food down standing in the kitchen). I must sit and I often set my timer on my phone in order to keep me mindful. When I do this, I'm okay. When I'm doing two or three other things, I'm having stuck episodes, finishing quickly, etc.

Thank you HealthyNewMe

I don't eat in the morning either, just drink my half a pot or so of tea. It's a relief not to have to get in the "most important meal" etc., as there is new research that breakfast may not be right for every one -- for some it just starts the calorie ticker early in the day, nothing to the whole metals ilium firing thing, etc. Big surprise we are not all the same! My motto is if Hungry, eat, if not hungry, don't eat. I make sure the hunger is "real." And the non-hunger -- I have to be careful I'm not just being restrictive and denying myself, so many years of diet programming in my head! Since I'm never hungry in the mornings and I feel "tight" I just skip. I have very high energy. I fact that "needing to eat" thing now seems like it was nonsense for me, the feeling weak if I didn't eat., etc. must have just been one of my mind games. So clear now about all that weird food thinking, the on/off diet mentality. Very grateful for my band!

Sorry, metals ilium above is metabolism! Can't edit from my iPad.....have a great day over 50 friends! So wish I had done this earlier but this is the right time, bands are better and I didn't even know about WLS a decade ago. Still, not to have been fat in my forties would have been nice, or thirties. Ok, stop, no use going down that road. Onward!

I just love this topic...lots of interaction...thanks everyone!!!

I love this topic too! I'm 55 and scheduled for surgery in August. I love reading these posts, so full of helpful info and experiences.

Let's keep it going.

gbb77901 so glad to hear you are having your surgery in August...I will be on the look out for your posts!!! let us know if you need anything...but always listen to your doctor okay...we can be sounding blocks-but remember he/she are the ones that will have done your surgery-so if in doubt-seek them out!!! you hang in there and almost Welcome to Band-Land sweetie...thinking only good thoughts for you!!! :D

I`m 55 and am being banned July 14, 2014 great weight loss, looking forward to changing my life.. thank you for all the stories GREAT JOB !!!! :D

I am so happy to hear all the good reports!! I was concerned about my age (59) and doing the Lap Band Sugery. But i checked out several surgery studys that were performed on people over 50 and the outcome was positive and the pros and cons were no differant than younger people. That was nice to hear and made me feel better about the whole thing. So i will be banded in Sepember and i am looking forward to it. I am 312 pounds and have many health issues. this is sure better than dieing . Good luck to you all!.....Bajagal

Hi

I host several coffee groups in my area and there are a few members that were banded that are 60 + (one was 72) and they have all done very well... 4 individuals have lost 100 + lbs.

if you treat the band like a "tool" and follow the guidelines as best you can given to you by your doctor and try and get support from other bandsters (from a live support group)... you will have the best success.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

55 and just starting my journey. First fill won't be for a few weeks. Just recuperating, getting the body moving and starting the gym!

I have a friend that was 70 when he was banded and has lost 130 lbs.

I host 3 Lapband coffee Groups a month in my area and we have several "Bandsters" that are 60+ have and great success and have lost 75+

Just take it one day at a time.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

I just turned 54 when i had mine done. I lost over 70 lbs in 9 months! I have 40 lbs to go! I feel sooooo much better.

Let's see does banding work if you are in your 50"s heck yes it does , as by seeing the pics you can tell the difference they may not be in order but yes if you work with the band & follow your doctor's orders then it works.

post-139624-14120413373483_thumb.jpg

post-139624-14120413537655_thumb.jpg

post-139624-14120413733699_thumb.jpg

post-139624-14120414035996_thumb.jpg