Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Ali wrote:

I was kinda of confused on the pill thing to so I emailed the doctor and she said it was fine to take them. They sent me home with a liquid stomach coater and a pill for hearburn. Both my heartburn pill and my vitaman go down good.

That is so strange. I was told no to the stomach coater because that's for RNY and not Sleeve patients. They told me that I don't have a pouch and wouldn't need it. It really seems like every doctor is different, even at the same facility. Kinda crazy making, don't ya think? :redface:

Boy I have a slow wireless connection at this campground - I typed up a message to post twice earlier and lost the connection before I could send it.

Even if I could have a revision to sleeve, I am quite sure I wouldn't do it. As I have found out, no bariatric surgery will work forever unless I get the emotional stuff under control.

I hear how everyone wants good restriction so badly, but at least for me I can tell you that alone won't do it. I have had good restriction since Sept 09 and still I would lose and gain the same 3 - 4 lbs over and over. Frustration would set in as I ate the way I was supposed to and exercised and still didn't lose weight. I tried upping my calories with Proteins and ended up getting stuck and pbing alot. Then I turned to sliders - not just bad ones but healthy ones too like Beans. Then I would get back on dense Protein and then fall off - a vicious cycle. I checked with Kaiser in Elk Grove to see what they had to offer in the way of assistance. I decided not to do Healthy Ways as that is a temporary fix (I've done it before and yes you lose on phentemerine for a while but then gain it back). So about 5 weeks ago I joined their Medical Weight Management Program which is an 84 wk program. I am in a group of 22 people. I had to have an extensive physical - tons of bloodwork and and EKG to make sure I was healthy enough to do the program. I told them I have a lapband and although they have never had someone in the program who had bariatric surgery already they accepted me. It is an expensive program - even though we are all Kaiser patients - our regular insurance doesn't cover it. I am on Optifast shakes and bars exclusively for 16 wks and we meet once a week for weigh ins, blood pressure check and education. So far on the 3 1/2 wks of the Optifast I have lost 11 lbs. I have not eaten anything else but that.

If after 84 weeks of behavior modification I don't change, I never will.

And before anyone asks, no I didn't tell Richmond about it and yes they probably would not approve, but the doctor I see at Kaiser Elk Grove every other week is not concerned and my blood work (they do it every 3 wks) is great and once we are transitioned back to regular food at 16 wks my band will still be there. Richmond has not checked on me since I last saw them the beginning of Sept 09 and this August will be two years since I had band surgery. I have 4 Protein Shakes and two nutrition bars a day and I can only eat 3/4 of the bar before I start to slime so I have to wait a bit before I eat the rest. I am eating 960 calories every day and they took me off of my Vitamin and Calcium chew. I have something every 2 1/2 hours and am not hungry in between. Oddly I still make food for my kids and it doesn't even bother me that I can't eat any of it.

I think it is pretty sad that Kaiser will pay for bariatric surgery, but they won't pay for their own weight loss program. Bariatric surgery is supposed to be the last resort - at least that is what they tell us. I may actually have a little taken out of my band after I transition back to regular food so I can eat things like salad and vegetables.

You are so right Pam it doesn't make sense. I looked into that program prior to surgery and it was cheaper for me to have surgery than participate in that program--so obviously I chose the surgery.

Lee, you are so right about the different surgeons ways. I don't know if these meds are helping because I haven't had any stomach problems or reflux but I guess its preventative. Its just hard to remember to take all this stuff. I stil need to get a routine going.

Sad thing is I already had the surgery and lost 65 lbs - which in their eyes is a success - they consider if you lose 50% of your weight it is successful. But I can't live the rest of my life 40 lbs overweight with the fear that I will gain the other 65 lbs back and unless I get my mind reprogrammed just having a lapband is not going to work. Boy I smell someone's barbeque - actually a lot of people's as we are at a campground - never realized how much food is an integral part of camping.

Pam your doing great!! Like I told you before I can already tell a change in your mindset towards food and I like your program cause they do address (or it seems to me anyway) the emotional eating stuff. I also like th weekly support groups for 84 weeks and girlfriend you kicking butt on weight loss. Regardless of what anyone says we all have to do what is right for us!! Your a totally inspiration and if I had the money..........well ya know I told you before I am jealous of your program!!:-)

I agree that restriction won't totally fix things. I am afraid of that but I hope with restriction I will have a 50/50 chance. Of course I am doing the whole support group and trying to get into counseling again. I have done 6 years of counseling and last time they said I didn't need anymore at my assessment but they did want me in a support group once a week. A stress management/anti anxiety group. So I trying to get back into that group.

I am afraid what will happen when I find out about sliders and all that. I am trying NOT to find out but I know eventually I will. So far not much goes down. But beans...........hmm I eat alot of Beans are they really a slider??? They hurt going down and sit there for hours? Pam help me out here!!

I never got a call from the psychologist at Richmond. So I decided I am on my own. I thought they were gonna try to help me get into something here quick in Sacramento. THey said something about someone specializing in food issues. I guess they got busy and forgot me. I tried to call and left a message on Friday at Richmond telling them I was hoping they were still gonna help me find something. Sent in my food log too but didn't hear anything back yet. Honestly the best support I have gotten thus far is just talking to Dr. Baggs and emailing him a few times. He is big on me doing monthly appointments for awhile and I probably need it if nothing else for the weigh ins!! :-) I told him I am not sure about another fill I might wanna chill .........but in a month maybe I will change my mind.

So I am just hoping I keep on a roll until I address the emotional stuff and than somehow the restriction and emotional healing stuff will kick in together.

Pam you are Rockin it Girlfriend!!! :-) Doing so well on the liquids and bars. I am afraid I would have cheated by now if I were you...........

Edited by swrktp

eDoing the food log............I have been home sick the last two days and they have been my worst two days in a week. I get bored at home and wanna snack........but ah sugar free popsicles go right down. Lucky I only had two at 35 calorie each but I want more. I do better when I am at work or out and about. I wonder if Robin will wonder what happened on the last two days.......obvious to me I did worse. Still until 1000 calories but it is a crappy food log yesterday and today.

I need a plan.................LOL. Maybe I need to start gardening or become a fanatic house cleaner or something!! We did get rid of our cable last week cause my daughter and I both waste to much time watching TV when we are home. It is also alot cheaper without it.

What other fun/cheap hobbies are there to keep me busy and not bored?? I love to read but that is not considered an activity!! LOL.

Edited by swrktp

Hey Pam! Thanks for sharing. You’re kicking butt! Your effort and dedication is amazing! Have fun camping!

Good Sunday Morning everyone....I'm back 'I think' :)

so good to read all your posts, especially Pam, Tina, & Christine! I've missed you all, obviously I've been in a funk. I had moved 4 lbs over my last fill weight. getting stuck every so often, mostly when I try to have bread or eat too fast. I know Id do better if I followed at least a few of the rules.

I went on my 5 mile walk yesterday, it was a perfect day. I've also been doing my 10k steps everyday this past week so I'm going try and keep that up. For that I lost the 4 lbs so now I'm back at my April fill weight. I know its a marathon not a race....

Next is to focus on getting my eating under control. Pam I'm glad the Optifast is working for you. I wish I had money to try it. I know I need to focus on dense Proteins so I can get full. I feel like I'm always hungry.... at the same time I'm thinking I'll go back to my Atkins shakes and see how I do. I'm also going to look at some kind of appetite suppressant at least for a couple weeks.

I'm going to try and log my food here for a week just so I can be a bit more accountable. That seemed to work so maybe we can all do it. Also, maybe we can plan another get together and walk.

Ok, have a nice day, I'll be back later to post my food :)

Pam I too looked into the Optifast program that Kaiser offers. And I was so disgusted in the price they told me, $4,500 ! I have less to pay with the sleeve (3k) and they will bill me for it too! But I hope it works well for you. I know plenty of people who have lost a lot of weight with it.

Good Morning!

Pam, I loved reading your post. You've always had your mind pointed towards recovery from the emotional eating. I'm happy that you've found something that takes care of the body/mind/food connection.

Tina, sorry you've been sick.

Hi John, tomorrow is our three month surgery day! While my weight release has been slow, I've averaged 10 pounds a month so I'm going to consider this a big success.

Jes, glad to see you back. The very best appetite suppressant that I've found is eating all Protein. When I eat ground beef (substitute any meat) three times a day without veggies or fruit, my appetite just goes away. I still get hungry but it's at the appropriate times. Adding just a little carbs creates cravings. I've been wired this way for a long time. Even those Atkins products create cravings in me.

I'm doing good. I think I've been almost 5 weeks of at least 10k steps a day, most days more. Last week I had several 13k days and a 17k day. I rope anyone into walking with me that's willing. I realized last night when I had to drive to San Leandro that I hadn't been in my car since last Sunday. Walking to work is great for stress relief walking home. Sometimes I feel lazy but I've given myself the rule that if it's not raining I have to walk. It takes a lot of effort but I want to reach my goal this year. If anyone is close to Oakland and wants to walk... come on down. :)

Pat, someone from our Kaiser Richmond group would love to be the recipient of some of your fabulous clothes. I saw her at the San Leandro support group yesterday and she's ready for some 18's. She too has to dress professionally everyday. Do you care who they go to? Please let me know.

Have a fun Sunday everyone. I'm hoping the sun will come out for an afternoon at the pool. I want a good tan when I head to the French Riviera next month!

Hey Jes,

Yea your back!! I hope you stay back now!! I am trying to check in more too..........

I am doing food logs for Kaiser and have to write it all down anyway. So I will jump on board on here too. The food logs are helping. If nothing else I know now that I do worse on the days I stay home from work or weekends.........the days I stay busy I don't have as many temptations. Just something I learned this week that I don't really like but there it is.

I am going to try and to a no slider day today. Which means no oatmeal or yogurt this morning. I am going for the veggie sausages. I am down 6 pounds this week and been stuck for three days now. At least it is not going on up like before thank goodness.

Did I mention my house is spotless after three days home!! That sure feels good.............I think my car might get scrubbed out today :-) Anything to keep busy and away from the food today!!! I got this new steam mop and little steam cleaner. WOw does that thing work!! Maybe steam cleaning can be my new addiction!! LOL.

I got in 1200 calories yesterday the most I have done all week. I wasn't so good on protiens and got hungry as a bear last night about 10pm...........that is when the calorie count went over 1000 :-(

I got the pedometer out today and gonna work on my 10 thousand........

Good Sunday to everyone...............

Edited by swrktp

I am noticing that if I eat anything sweet, even sugar free sweet................than I get on these sugar and maybe carb cravings.................I think the reason the salad got me last week is that MAYBE the dressing had sugar in it............

So trying to figure out now what kind of vegetarian protiens I can have this week. I did Beans all last week and Pam just told me they were sliders so I am trying to get creative right now and elimnate the beans this week.....if nothing else they have way to many carbs!!

Are you SLEEVE people getting dumping?? Just curious...........

Hi Ladies!!!! Good Sunday! Nice day in the Hampton Roads, Virginia area. Just back from lunch with an old friend who is still in the Air Force. We had lunch at Panarea, I had Soup.< /span>

Hi Lee - Yes, happy three months!!! I lost 20 pounds the first month, 15 the second. With all the snaking and partying I’ll be lucky if I’m down 10 pounds this month. No scale here but I should be home in nine days to see. The Doc say I should be losing about 20 pounds a month…

No dumping with the Sleeve.