Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight/Height/Goal/Reason

Terilyn, you sound like you just described me! I'm also 5'4 and large bones. Everyone thought I was crazy for gettin the band done, but when I can't breathe bending over to shave my legs there's a problem. I'm also a diabetic w/insulin sensitivity. I was banded on 9-29-08 and only lost 10lbs as of today. It's alot harder than most people think. I have not given up I just started exercising today. Maybe that will help.

I am 38 years old and my highest weight topped out somewhere over 280. I was always a normal weight until after I had children. I am 5'3 and weighed 135 lbs most of my adult life until I got pregnant.

In 2004, I looked into the band and gastric bypass and decided I needed to give losing a real personal effort before going that route. I lost over 80 lbs in less than 8 months doing by-the-book Atkins (meaning I ate veggies, limited cheese and cream and I exercised). Then my father died. Then my oldest son got AML (an aggressive leukemia). 18 months later he died, at the age of 13 (www.caringbridge.org/visit/josephmorrison). Slowly through that I started to gain weight back....too much grief, not enough time to cook, not enough time to plan and frankly, it fell pretty low on the priority list as he started to fail. Its been almost two years since his death and I have just now reached a point in my grief that I am okay with the fact that I didn't die right along with him. Going forward with the surgery is a life affirming, self affirming move that has been difficult and yet so empowering. I am ready to consciously live again, bringing all the motivation of my son's courage and dignity with me as I go. Someday I will see him again and we'll have lots to talk about.

I know I can stick to a healthy eating plan and eat that way the rest of my life. The band is that little extra tool to help me keep it off for good and to make it a little easier. I weighed 242 the day of my surgery consultation. I had my band a little over a week ago now and am going strong, doing great. I feel very empowered

Not banded yet. I have done on the preliminaries and am waiting to attend my surgeon consultation on Dec. 22. I'm 5'6 and weigh 280 but when I began this journey I weighed 294.

I had thought of doing this for many years when I went of 230. My hubby was against surgery because he didn't like the idea of losing me under the knife but not that he realizes I can't do it on my own he is very supportive because he doesn't want to lose me to morbidly obese ailments.

Anyway I am doing this because I want to live a long happy life. Right now I am just existing and not enjoying my life.

I have five kids and 2 grand children who I need to be around for and also want the energy to keep up with.

I'll be 40 in Jan. and the surgery would be a great Christmas of birthday gift. I wasted the decade of the 30's and I'll be damned if I spend my forty's fat and miserable.

I used to be one hot mama never, ever skinny but I was a good looking chick if I may say so myself. I enjoyed all of the attention I used to get. Funny I still get attention at 280 lbs. just not as much, guess some guys like big, big girls lol. I don't have unrealistic expectations, I know I will never be 25 and cute again but I can be 40 and gorgeous or at least feel gorgeous. I know that without a lot of this weight I will have more self esteem and energy. Which will lead to a healthier lifestyle. I would like to be 170 lbs. I don't want to ever be skinny I like myself on the thick side. Anyway I am doing this to live.

Hello all. I am 47 y/o, 5'5, and was 250 at my first consultation. I was 233 the day of my surgery (9-22) and am currently at 211. My goal is 140, but if I lose to 120 that would be even better. I began researching the surgery when I got to where just moving off the couch became a struggle, along with sore ankles, feet, and back. I wanted to be able to live my life again and not be a prisoner in my own home. My health has always been good....no diabetes and no high blood pressure but I'm sure those things would have developed at some point. Also, I wanted to look good again.

Weight: 220 lbs/99.8 kgs/39.9 BMI

Height: 5 '3 or 160 centimeters

Current: 141 lbs/63.96 kgs/25.0 BMI

Goal: 140 lbs/63.5 kgs/24.9 BMI or a "Normal" BMI

Reasons:

1) Health Concerns: My mother sadly passed away due to complications with heart disease and diabetes at the ripe old age of 51. She was as healthy as I was in her early 30's - no problems except obesity. My sister was diagnosed as a diabetic at age 18. She is not controlling her sugar very well and needs 3 shots a day plus an overnight medication to keep her sugar stable at night. I was beginning to feel like a ticking health timebomb - it was just a matter of time. I wanted to do something before I became sick.

2) Definition of Self: To be obese may be a feature of who you are (like having red hair and freckles) but it does not define who you are as a person. In our society, the first thing people notice is general body type and assumptions are made. I didn't want to be the "fat" girl any longer . . . I just want to be me.

3) Vanity - Life is just not as fun when you are obese. It prevented me from being myself with full confidence. I also have an adorable husband and always wondered if people thought "what is he doing with her???" if you know what I mean.

4) Many, many other reasons to numerous to describe :0). All I know is that I am very, completely, ecstaticly happy to be within 1 pound of goal.

I am 57 years old and 5'5" and weighed about 245 over 3 years ago. I lost weight on my own and then last year with the 6 month diet, then the pre & post-op liquid only diet. Lost about 60 pounds. I was banded on 9/22 with one fill. Haven't lost any weight after the 2 weeks post op. So my weight has been the same since early October. My main reason for having this surgery was to see if weight loss would improve my severe and chronic back pain. It hasn't. I do have (or had) mild/moderate sleep apnea and GERD but those things do not affect my daily living like back pain does. I also have breast cancer that was diagnosed 7 years ago. I have no doubt my 100+ pound weight gain as an adult played a major role in my cancer. Hopefully losing weight will reduce the likelihood of a recurrence or a new cancer.

Hi All, My name is Jeannette and I started this journey at 305 pounds. I am 5'3" tall, 45 years old and I am not sure what my goal is. I think around 150 pounds. I carry weight very well. Even my surgeon did not believe I weighed what the scales said. I can remember weighing 170 and I was actually happy with that but my primary doctor wants to see me at 150 so we will have to see. The reason I did this was primarily because I am a single mom with a 14 year old daughter. I have no other health issues but I know I am just playing the waiting game on that one. One of these days I will get high bp, signs of diabetes, or something because of my morbid obesity. So, I had the band installed 9/23/08, have lost 29 pounds and pray to God that this works for me.

hi my name is (sil) not banded yet,will be january 13th,08.my starting eweight=324.did six months classes,lost27lbs.as of sept3rd, now nov 26th, weight 282.4 pounds so that,s 40lbs gone. trying hard to maintain.

height=5'3

goal=155/160

reason=type2 diabetes,high blood pressure ,high chlolesteral.an for overall health an occourse who does,nt wanna look good. i wanna be able to bend over to tie my shoes i wanna ride a rollercoaster an not be shamed because my stomach is too big so the buckle won,t snap close i wanna be able to go up a flight of stairs without being out of breath,i wanna be able to walk long distance to keep up with other people without stopping. i wanna be around to live for my 18year lod daughter&my 19year old son ,i just wanna live lifeto the fullest.because when you have weight on you it,s not pretty. an i thank god almighty for giving me a second chance.it,s been a constance struggle,but now since i have lost 40lbs i can see a big difference, i have change the way i,m eating,no more junk foods an other that was,nt good for me i exercise twice a day on my stationary bike.i think i,m ready.so good luck to everyone on your journey in life.sil

I started at 247, and weigh in thurs. proba about 160 pounds. I'm so happy with my results so far. the biggest is a plane seat, I can fit in coach great now. I also work out 5-6 days a week and can touch my toes, have a bath again, and shop in normal stores, size 10 now from a 22 size. life is great but its a constant effort to eat right, and not snack at night. I'm really glad I got banded and would do it again in a heart beat.

Hi. I'm Bree. 33 years old, 5'4". My highest weight was 210 pounds, surgery day was 197 pounds, 13 weeks post op I'm at 170 pounds. My goal weight is 140. I had the surgery to relieve the depression the weight held me in. That and my father has many health problems I didn't want to end up experiencing myself.

gentylwind... my goodness... I feel for you and the adversity you've have to endure. You're tough and that will make you a successful bandster!

Now, you want to talk about people commenting about your weight... imagine being a police officer who's more than 100 pounds overweight! :laugh: Many of you right now are thinking of donut jokes... :biggrin: Donuts... yummm.... :biggrin: LOL...

Anyway, I was at the point I dreaded going to work because a police uniform is not fat friendly. In fact, it can be down right painful. Imagine getting a fat roll pinched between a body armor vest and a gun belt... :scared2: Damn that hurts! Not to mention, that much weight, and lack of range of motion, makes it much more difficult to defend yourself - so it's also a huge safety issue.

On top of that, I have cardiac issues in my family. I want to be in the best health I can... For me, my wife, and my kids...

I'm 5'6" and started out at 266 in July 2008, my highest weight ever. I was 254 on my surgery day (August 4, 2008). As of this morning I'm 211 and am over the hump (have lost more than I have left to lose.) I hit the gym most days of the week and am very motivated to keep my metabolism torch lit.

Brad

My names is Ty I was banded 7/23/08, I'm 5"9' and at my heaviest i was 386lbs. I was at 285 the last time I checked and will be going in to see the Dr. in the morning to get my new weight. When I started my goal weight was 250lbs. and than i moved it to 225lbs. i would love to be around 200lbs. So I have about another 80 lbs to go. I am hoping to be at 250 by my 43rd. B-day which is may 29th.

Hi Everyone

My name is Lisa and I'm 38 years old. I was banded 2 days ago. When I first put my name on the list for lap band I weighed 93 kgs (205lbs). As the list was so long I decided to try and lose some on my own first. I managed to lose 14 kgs (30 lbs). Then I got my letter and ate like crazy and put on a couple. I lost 4 kgs (8lbs) during pre op diet. I was banded at 79kgs (174 lbs) and my goal is 60 kgs (132lbs) as I am only 5'2 tall.

I have a few reasons for wanting to do this. The main reason is that i have severe sleep apnoea and use a CPAP machine. I would really love to be able to throw this away and never have to use it again. The other reason is that I've been single for 2 years after a 14 year marriage and I really don't want to be on my own forever.

My name is Marie. Age 24, highest weight 309. Surgery weight 303, current 274. Height 5ft 6in. Reason: General health and I haven't been able to get pregnant. DH and I have been married (using no protection) for 2 years. I know that weight can cause infertility issue. Hopefully at my year anniversary we can start trying and I will get pregnant. I believed the band would be right for me because it would make me change my habits.

I am so happy with the results so far. I am also learning to deal with the physical/mental/emotional issues, and that is a huge step.

Hey everyone. I’m 23 years old, 5'10 and currently at 207 (started at 318). I had my Surgery 02-14-08, so I’m not even a year out. My Doc wants me to stay between 195 to 199, so about 10lbs to go, to her standards. Yeah I don’t think that will be happening. I do have a large frame and most people say that this weight looks good. Blahhh, no my goal is 165-170. If I’m not happy, or do look unhealthy, like my Dr says, then I will gain a few back. (Though, I haven’t gained 1 lb back since my surgery!)

For me it was mostly vanity, not even going to lie. :0 I was a yo-yo dieter before, and knew what I looked like thin, and sure as hell didn’t like being fat! I’m allergic to ALL fruits and vegetables so unless it was Atkins, there wasn’t a diet I could “do.” As we all know, Atkins is (just) a little (sarcastic) hard to stick to, and the weight plus would always come back on. I never had any health problems, though I’m sure that they would have came with age.

-Courtney