Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight/Height/Goal/Reason

So I thought I would start this and see what people's weight was before the band (even if your not banded, still reply=) what their goal is and what the reason for having the surgery is - Most say to be healthy but I know their are others that have other reasons. Anyway this is mine

Sarah - 20. I'm 5'4 and my weight is 118-120 but that was the last time I checked it (back in july I think) so it's probably more. Goal is probably like 65kgs so that's like 55-60kgs to loose. As for the reason, I'm 20 and have heaps of crap wrong with me - 97% not to do with my weight. That and I might be looking at a transplant later in life so I need to be in "good health" as the doctor put it lol. Other reasons - Yes I'm vain, 20, never had a bf and all the other bs that goes along with it, I'd like to at least be able to fit in a bikini - wouldn't wear it but it'd be nice to know I could if I wanted. Another thing is people are so discriminative towards bigger people especially women so hopefully this will help me get a job. Anyway that's mine, what's yours?:thumbup:

Im 5ft 10 and now 70kg, I'd really like to be about 65kg but I dont seem to be losing any more, have been 70kg for over a year now. Its fine by me, I'm an Aussie size 12 which is fine at my height.

My initial goal was 79 simply because I maintained that sort of weight for years in my 20's and had never maintained anything lower. But I knew I wanted to be lower so I never planned on stopping there!

For me it was mostly vanity. But I was starting to feel old and had a few issues like a bad ankle, and I began to worry how fat I was going to get as I progressed into my 40's! I felt very unsexy and very unyoung and I hated it, so I had WLD to fix the problem once and for all.

I couldnt be happier now. Most people think I"m in my 30's. They wouldnt if they could see my poor old boobs!

Hi Sarah,

I'm Tracie 30 years old, 5'7 and 339 at my heaviest. I was banded October 16th have lost about 44 pounds. My reason for being banded was simple. I want to be healthy.

In your post, you reminded me of myself at your age. You're right, the world is not always kind to overweight people but you have to live life now. Just because you get banded and lose weight your life is not going to magically become perfect.

I have been heavy my entire life but I accomplished so much while being 300+lbs. I finished college, I own an insurance agency where I employ 4 people. I have been married 11 years to a wonderful man who does not have a weight problem and yet he has never seemed to view me as a fat girl. He tells me everyday (true statement) that he thinks I'm beautiful.

My life has been amazing weighing over 300 lbs. My reasons is truely to be healthy.

I can read between the lines that you think once you lose weight that your life will have more value than it does now. You need to learn to love yourself before you embark on this journey or I fear you may have other problems arise when the weight is gone because life is not perfect and it won't be just because you lose weight.

Getting a job should have no bearing on your weight. Employers need hard working, dedicated people everyday.

I caution you to find out what your passion is and what you want to acheive and follow your dreams absent of how much you weigh.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Tracie, yes I realise I need to address the "me" part in this whole thing, actually it wasn't even my decision to have the band, my pulmonolgist doctor said I should think about it and the next thing I knew I was seeing the doctor that does the band and his registrar lol. I've always wanted something like this before but it kind of put it in motion for me, as for the me factor, I honestly like the way I am now but I know that I'm going to look even better afterwards, I'll actually be able to walk up the stairs and not get out of breath - unless the meds I'm taking decide to screw up lol. I think from my perspective it's good because if I'm comfortable with my weight now I think it'll be easier but I dunno lol =( Maybe I need to see a pyschiatrist (sp?) lol

I am 39 years old. My highest weight was 375lbs. I was banded on Feb. 2008. My current weight is 237lbs. My goal is 175 lbs. I am very commited to reaching this goal before my 40th birthday (july 29, 2009).

Well lets see. I am 40 years old. I am 5'7" and I currently weigh 425 pounds. The sad part is that my highest weight was probably closer to 460 a couple of years ago. My goal weight is somewhere around 150.

My reasons for getting the band in January? There are lots of them. First is my health. I have the onset of congestive heart failure and my knees and back hurt all the time.

Then there are the reasons just for me. I'm not a vain person but I would love to be able to wear a nice looking pair of jeans and actually look good in them. I want to be able to go dancing and hiking again. I haven't been to a movie theatre or any type of show with theatre seating in over 8 years. I'd love to go see a movie.

I could go on and on but I think you all probably get the idea. I just want to live again. I feel like I'm missing a lot due to my weight.

I too have a husband who doesn't see my weight and loves me for me. I'm blessed in that area.

I'm 41, my highest weight is right now, I think I have gone over 230 but I don't want to get on a scale. Last time I was weighed a month ago I was 227. Not banded yet, waiting for the approval now.

I know the band will not change my life problems, however I do hope it will make me like myself again. My weight bothers me everyday with everything I do and everywhere I go. I do not love myself as I should. I am so unhealthy and I can't do things I want and need to do. Even cleaning my own home I have to take breaks. At work I can't go up the stairs and breath at the same time. I feel like people are looking at me and talking about me, I hate going out anywhere with friends or seeing family. I go to work and home.

I really want to like who I am and be able to play with my 7 year old daughter and my two grandkids. I live in Florida and I would love to go to the beach and not feel so ugly.

My weight causing so much pain. My legs hurt from adema and I would think the pain alone would make me stick to a diet. I can't wait to be out of this pain.

I know the bills and the dishes will still be there, but I also know I will finally be happy in other areas and I will then want to leave my house.

Im 5 7 and 185 lbs right now. Top was over 240 lbs. I am small boned and dont think the BMI really takes that into consideration, and Im sure some people would say 120 lbs is too thin, but its what I used to weigh and feel good.

I had gotten to where I couldnt hardly bend over and tie my shoes. I cant wash my back in the shower (harder because I broke a shoulder last winter plus the weight). Like most people I cant find clothes that fit right, so I was having to go to ebay to look for clothes. I couldnt walk into a regular store and buy anything off the rack. Even at 185, I cant really zip up a size 18 dress I tried on today, but almost.

I dont want to die early from health problems.

I'm the same flowers - thin build. I cant carry weight. I find myself astounded when people say they're happy at 180 or 190 at my height, I was still really rather fat at that weight! But we all have different bodies and I think we have to decide where is right for us by ourselves.

I started out at 270. I lost 24 pounds before meeting with my surgeon, and had to loose another 12 pounds, I lost 13 in 8 weeks. WHoo hoo. I had my surgery lost 14 pounds, and stalled. Just now getting the scale moving. Anyway, I'm 5' 4" tall. I'm rather big boned so people don't believe I weighed as much as I did. I carry it well. My goals going in have already been met... I can sit in carnival rides. I can do things again, because I have energy, and I am not only off my diabetes meds, but I'm no longer a full blown diabetic (who previously needed shots to control it). I'm glucose intolerant.

Teri

im 5'6 and my heaviest weight was 275 surgery i was 271 and now im 243 didnt lose any weight this week stayed the same im due for my 2nd fill friday...the main reason i got the band is because i want to have another child..being heavy with my 1st was not fun i had preclampsia and i dont want that again so like most people said they got the band to be healthy yea i did that 2 but my main purpose is to bring another life into this world...good luck

Hi all,

I'm 47, 5' 7", and my official highest weight was 249 at my first appt. But, i know i was over 250 as i'd lost a couple of lbs before going to the dr. appt. I am at 224 today, 5 days post-op, and think i'm doing good.

The reason I decided to have this surgery is to avoid the medical issues that have started to creep up. I'm pre-diabetic; severe sleep apnea; severe GERD; irregular heart beat recently; and shortness of breath after only one flight of stairs. So, to hopefully avoid all of these hitting within the next couple of years as even more life threatening, my GP referred me to my surgeon to discuss the surgery. They suggested the barriatric surgery at first, but i opted for the lap band. The only problems i've had so far are: 1. i took a long time to wake up after surgery (which is normal for me, but i still scared my surgeon even though i'd told him!) and 2. Constipation for a couple of days post-op, but that's gone now, too.

Good luck to us all!

Rhonda

Edited by TklMeSkinny

im 5'3 highest weight was 270 weight at surgery 248 weight now 221.8 went down four sizes was 26 now i wear 16 surgery was june 30th i want to be healthy i dont want to die early and heavy like my mom

Hi I am 5'5" tall and pre band I was 251 pounds. Pre-diet 241 pounds and today I am 222 according to my scale at home this morning. Total loss of 29 pounds.

I totaly did this to become healthy. Look I am no spring chicken. The older I get the harder it gets to lose the weight. Plus, I just kept gaining and gaining weight. High blood pressure, diabetes, thryroid issues, plus being over weight are prevelant in my family. I wanted to stop the cycle, take control and live an active healthy life. :thumbup:

Hello, I'm 43 - 5' 9" (large frame) and my highest weight is 300 lbs. Each year since my 1st child was born I gained weight. In 2000 I went through Chemo therapy and some other major life changes. I had spoken with doctors many different times about my weight. One told me I just needed to "push away" from the table.

I've had many different suggestions on diets..as I'm sure we all have.

I have severe sleep apnea and am on my way to other weight related problems. My father passed away in 2000 from a heart attack. He was 61 and overweight. While he was in the hospital he chatted with me about how concerned he was over my weight.

We all have many different reasons for why we became overweight. The reason why I have chosen to do the Lapband is #1 to become healthier and more active. #2 I'm tired of being big.

My gf loves me for who I am and supports me 100%. My friends are wonderfully supportive as well.

I'm crossing my fingers that after my surgery (Dec. 23rd) my life will only get healthier!