Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Decembers Bandsters?

Hello everyone and glad I found you. My pre-approval from UMR Insurance was just denied and I need some helpful advice about how to go about successfully appeal. Any and all advice appreciated.

Bill223

Hi All! I am getting banded on 12/18. I am so excited I have given myself a headache. Any pre-op advice? :blushing:

Thanks!

Hi! I am getting banded on the 23rd at Palms of Pasadena in Florida by Dr. Rehnke! I am in my second week of the Pre-Op liquid diet. First week was horrible!!!! I couldn't help but cheat at night! During the day I did great! This week I am doing much better. Getting nervous about the surgery, just like everyone else.

Hi all,

I have my sugery on 1/29/09 I'm so excited...what should I expect?

There are threads around here that have people's stories of their surgery days that might be interesting to you. Everyone's experience is different.

I'm 6 days past surgery and happily banded.

My 10 day liquid diet was pretty difficult the first 3-4 days.. it because tolerable after that. (by tolerable I mean I wasn't ready to go on a rampage through my town like Foodzilla)

I showed up for my surgery a nervous wreck last Thursday. I had my parents drop me off so it was just me. The nurses in the first room who put my iv in were very very sweet. I had gotten permission from my doctor to take 2 xanax that morning to calm me. I remember a young guy orderly coming down and wheeling me up to surgery prep area.

People came and talked to me. My doctor came and talked to me, said he wanted to verify there'd be no observers since there were official type people walking through the hospital that day. I talked to the anesthesiologist. Then *lights out*.

I came to in a room with 2 little old women across from me who had some other surgery. I had a very cool morphine pump. A male nurse (which I was ready to take exception to but he turned out to be a nice guy) was assigned to me at first. He asked me what my pain level was. I kept saying about a 6. He notched up the morphine allowance and I began my happy button pressing.

I made sure that I got out of bed probably a half hour after I woke up or so. I had lots of energy for some reason so I was motoring along. It's all a blur to me now because of the drugs but I don't remember being uncomfortable at all. I remember the bed was really cozy actually and I could make it sit up and slide right out and I was off in my trust llbean slippers doing laps around the hospital. I remember thinking it was a bummer it wasn't near the maternity ward because it'd be neat to see babies. lol

I was moved that night to another room because one of the little old ladies escaped her bed and came over and whipped the sheet down when my incision was being checked and I wanted privacy. My male nurse moved me over one to a room with a really cool girl who had just had her band fixed (it slipped and her internal organ got nicked and ya.. I know scary stuff but super rare). I enjoyed her company a lot. I did a lot of drifting in and out on happy clouds with my pain meds and did lots of walking.

Barium drink around 730 am when myself, another girl who had the surgery and my roomate were rolled down. I was released around 9ish on a super rainy new england day to my aunt who drove me home.

We swung by cvs, picked up liquid tylenol. The night I was in the hospital I made sure I had a note written out to give my doctor asking for my pain and nausea meds that night so my parents could get them filled and have them waiting for me at home.

I was full of energy day 2, my first day home. Pain started creeping in. It hit me my HAPPY BUTTON WAS GONE. *panic* I started taking my perscip pain med (liquid oxy) and tylenol. It took the edge off but owwwwwwwwww.. my incision hurt. I'm a huge baby and I was afraid I was going to bend wrong and my stomach would come flying out onto the ground. I took the nausea suppository that knocks me out and slept on my back that night. My daughter helped me by pulling me straight up to a sitting position when I woke up. (Good Daughter)

Day 3.. OW. Incision pain and gas. Lovely. Couple people came to visit. I looked like a chia pet at this point because my hair was sticking straight up and I looked like I got run over by a truck. They made me laugh and I started crying because the port pain hurt. Let's fast forward through this day. It was my worse.

Day 4... improving pain! I walked a lot around the house in laps and had my daughter get me gas-x ( no clue why I hadn't gotten it before doh!). It still hurt but not as much as day 3.

Day 5.. Neat.. I can sit and sorta bend and I'm not afraid of being a human pinata. Much more manageable. I went for a ride with my stepdad to get Decaf coffee from starbucks.. the bumps still bugged me in the road but not horrible.

Day 6.. today! I feel better. Yesterday and today I figured out how to do the infamous log roll and get myself out of bed. (told you I'm a big wimp) I am only taking liquid tylenol. I can still feel the port place but it's not as sore (it felt like a bad bad sunburn yesterday). I have a sour taste in my mouth and called my doc. He said it's acid reflux. So I got zantac and that seems solved. He said it will resolve itself as I lose weight most likely and to take 2 a day of these til then.

Hope this helps. I tend towards the theatrical :thumbup: Around day 3 emotionally I was really emotionally strongarming myself not to let myself go down the "WHY DID I DO THIS!" path. Today I'm happy with my decision. It's a little bit a rollercoaster as I heal and I hear that's normal. Hunger is almost non existant still. I take sips of Water through out the day.

There are threads around here that have people's stories of their surgery days that might be interesting to you. Everyone's experience is different.

I'm 6 days past surgery and happily banded.

My 10 day liquid diet was pretty difficult the first 3-4 days.. it because tolerable after that. (by tolerable I mean I wasn't ready to go on a rampage through my town like Foodzilla)

I showed up for my surgery a nervous wreck last Thursday. I had my parents drop me off so it was just me. The nurses in the first room who put my iv in were very very sweet. I had gotten permission from my doctor to take 2 xanax that morning to calm me. I remember a young guy orderly coming down and wheeling me up to surgery prep area.

People came and talked to me. My doctor came and talked to me, said he wanted to verify there'd be no observers since there were official type people walking through the hospital that day. I talked to the anesthesiologist. Then *lights out*.

I came to in a room with 2 little old women across from me who had some other surgery. I had a very cool morphine pump. A male nurse (which I was ready to take exception to but he turned out to be a nice guy) was assigned to me at first. He asked me what my pain level was. I kept saying about a 6. He notched up the morphine allowance and I began my happy button pressing.

I made sure that I got out of bed probably a half hour after I woke up or so. I had lots of energy for some reason so I was motoring along. It's all a blur to me now because of the drugs but I don't remember being uncomfortable at all. I remember the bed was really cozy actually and I could make it sit up and slide right out and I was off in my trust llbean slippers doing laps around the hospital. I remember thinking it was a bummer it wasn't near the maternity ward because it'd be neat to see babies. lol

I was moved that night to another room because one of the little old ladies escaped her bed and came over and whipped the sheet down when my incision was being checked and I wanted privacy. My male nurse moved me over one to a room with a really cool girl who had just had her band fixed (it slipped and her internal organ got nicked and ya.. I know scary stuff but super rare). I enjoyed her company a lot. I did a lot of drifting in and out on happy clouds with my pain meds and did lots of walking.

Barium drink around 730 am when myself, another girl who had the surgery and my roomate were rolled down. I was released around 9ish on a super rainy new england day to my aunt who drove me home.

We swung by cvs, picked up liquid tylenol. The night I was in the hospital I made sure I had a note written out to give my doctor asking for my pain and nausea meds that night so my parents could get them filled and have them waiting for me at home.

I was full of energy day 2, my first day home. Pain started creeping in. It hit me my HAPPY BUTTON WAS GONE. *panic* I started taking my perscip pain med (liquid oxy) and tylenol. It took the edge off but owwwwwwwwww.. my incision hurt. I'm a huge baby and I was afraid I was going to bend wrong and my stomach would come flying out onto the ground. I took the nausea suppository that knocks me out and slept on my back that night. My daughter helped me by pulling me straight up to a sitting position when I woke up. (Good Daughter)

Day 3.. OW. Incision pain and gas. Lovely. Couple people came to visit. I looked like a chia pet at this point because my hair was sticking straight up and I looked like I got run over by a truck. They made me laugh and I started crying because the port pain hurt. Let's fast forward through this day. It was my worse.

Day 4... improving pain! I walked a lot around the house in laps and had my daughter get me gas-x ( no clue why I hadn't gotten it before doh!). It still hurt but not as much as day 3.

Day 5.. Neat.. I can sit and sorta bend and I'm not afraid of being a human pinata. Much more manageable. I went for a ride with my stepdad to get Decaf coffee from starbucks.. the bumps still bugged me in the road but not horrible.

Day 6.. today! I feel better. Yesterday and today I figured out how to do the infamous log roll and get myself out of bed. (told you I'm a big wimp) I am only taking liquid tylenol. I can still feel the port place but it's not as sore (it felt like a bad bad sunburn yesterday). I have a sour taste in my mouth and called my doc. He said it's acid reflux. So I got zantac and that seems solved. He said it will resolve itself as I lose weight most likely and to take 2 a day of these til then.

Hope this helps. I tend towards the theatrical :smile2: Around day 3 emotionally I was really emotionally strongarming myself not to let myself go down the "WHY DID I DO THIS!" path. Today I'm happy with my decision. It's a little bit a rollercoaster as I heal and I hear that's normal. Hunger is almost non existant still. I take sips of Water through out the day.

Thank you for such a descriptive story! I am a nervous wreck and happy to see you were approved to take Xanax the AM of your surgery. I will need to ask my doc. about that! Dec. 30th is my date and I hope to have a story as good as yours! ~Steph

PS>> I especially like the part about the granny whipping your sheet off! OMG!

Hi Everyone:

I'll be banded December 30th in Pembroke Pines, FL. I'm excited, anxious, and nervous all at the same time, but looking forward to it. My pre-op diet begins a few days before Christmas and although I won't be indulging in all the Christmas treats, I am trying to be positive and optimistic. I'm planning on taking my own Soup and popsicle for desert to Christmas Eve dinner. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Other than that, I've had a lot of different types of comments, mostly from family (cousins) and people in general about how it's a bad idea, but I don't care. I'm trying ot stay away from the negativity and go forward! Can't wait!!!:smile2:

Hi Mr. Mike, I am scheduled with Dr. Schrope on 12/23 at Valley. How was your experience w/the Dr. Davis/Valley hospital? I am nervous and excited at the same time.

Hi Everyone:

I'll be banded December 30th in Pembroke Pines, FL. I'm excited, anxious, and nervous all at the same time, but looking forward to it. My pre-op diet begins a few days before Christmas and although I won't be indulging in all the Christmas treats, I am trying to be positive and optimistic. I'm planning on taking my own Soup and popsicle for desert to Christmas Eve dinner. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Other than that, I've had a lot of different types of comments, mostly from family (cousins) and people in general about how it's a bad idea, but I don't care. I'm trying ot stay away from the negativity and go forward! Can't wait!!!:shades_smile:

Hi dlmyvette,

I am being banded on the 30th, too! I am the same as you- excited and nervous! My doc has me on Slim-fast for 2 weeks pre-op, you are so lucky for only 1 week!

Keep me posted on your journey!

~Steph

Well guys, tomorrow is the big day. I am so ready. I know that I will still be on a liquid diet after the surgery, but I don't know how much more broth and Jello I can take. I have such a headache and my stomach is constantly growling. Oh and on top of all that, I got a visit from my monthly friend. Anyway, I am sure everything will be fine. I will post as soon as I can. Good luck everyone.

Hello everyone and glad I found you. My pre-approval from UMR Insurance was just denied and I need some helpful advice about how to go about successfully appeal. Any and all advice appreciated.

Bill223

I would try calling your insurance and find out exactly why they denied you. mine just wanted me to do a 6month diet to show that I really will have results with the band and that I can stick to something. after 6months they said yes! so i would call them. Also go to your primary care physician and start complaining about ANYTHING that could be weight related. they will write it in your file and the insurance will like that. good luck with the apeal and dont give up!:huh2:

I got banded yesterday! I'm feeling pretty weird today, pain isn't as bad as I thought it would be....so far. I've been doing a lot of sleeping and walking every hour. I think I have some gas pain in my right shoulder. I'm not hungry at all just really thirsty. I'm just glad it's over with.

I do have a question for anybody who's been banded for a few day or weeks, is it normal to be burping or feeling like you need to burp?

I do have a question for anybody who's been banded for a few day or weeks, is it normal to be burping or feeling like you need to burp?

I was banded on 12/11 and burp a lot...and I've read on this site that it's pretty common too...hope it helps :laugh: