Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

I am starting to read the same thing. The one thing I am not doing. Increase my Protein. Wow, well that is what I need to do, so that is just what I will do. I can't let this thing beat me. I had this surgery to live a better life. I need to continue to learn better measures to beat this thing. i can do this. I am so greatful to everyone that took the time to respond to this message. Thank you so much.

Prayerfully, I will have some great news in the weeks to come.

Absolutely, and your doctor should have told you that! You should always eat your protein first, as that forms a mushy "base" at the top of your band and won't let other stuff pass thru, filling you up more, according to my doc. You should be getting 60 grams of protein a day.

Hello People!

I just want to get some encouragement. I am nearing my year of surgery, and I have not seen any major weight loss in I don't know when. I can't say that my eating is aways good, but its not always bad. I work out an average of 3 days per week. There hasn't been more than two weeks that I have fallen off the exercise wagon. I know this is a process, but I just want to hear from people regarding what activities you are participating in and what are you eating to get this weight off. I really need some help. I want to be successful. I feel like I am hungry, and I might have to eat smaller meals throughout the day. Can you also give me some ideas on what you eat for Snacks.< /p>

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hello fellow Marylander!

Were you banded at St Agnes? There's a support group meeting this Monday. I plan on attending.

My weight loss has been slower but that's been my fault. I haven't gained but very little if any loss right now.

I hate to cook in the summer so food choices haven't been perfect PLUS I've not been exercising as I once did.

I lost my dog to cancer in May and things just went down hill. BUT I'm back on track....I've started my exercise DVD's again and I feel so much better.

Let me know if you want to join me Monday. I've also thought of joining Weight Watchers (i'm a lifer) just for the added support.....

We WILL get there one pound at a time!!!!

yeah, JMS, I'm at 10 cc in a 10cc band. I never felt tightness at all til I got to about 8 ccs. Luckily my doctor is pretty agressive about getting you to your sweet spot asap.

Well, I went to have Fluid put back in my band today and even though it has only been 2 weeks since my total unfill, I could not tolerate close to what my sweet spot should be. I guess I was 5.25 when I had a fill 3 wks before the unfill which put me to 6 and 6 was too much. Today 5 was too much even though I had not been feeling restriction much at 5.25. So now I'm at 4.5 and have to work my way back to that sweet spot. I would not mind so much, but I have to pay for fills and I have a ton of medical bills already! Oh well. The good news is I somehow dropped 2.5 pounds while I was totally unfilled!

Hello fellow Marylander!

Were you banded at St Agnes? There's a support group meeting this Monday. I plan on attending.

My weight loss has been slower but that's been my fault. I haven't gained but very little if any loss right now.

I hate to cook in the summer so food choices haven't been perfect PLUS I've not been exercising as I once did.

I lost my dog to cancer in May and things just went down hill. BUT I'm back on track....I've started my exercise DVD's again and I feel so much better.

Let me know if you want to join me Monday. I've also thought of joining Weight Watchers (i'm a lifer) just for the added support.....

We WILL get there one pound at a time!!!!

Hey Marylander!!!

I a. open to participating in a support group. However, I had my surgery at Washington Hospital. If there is no problem w/ me attending, then please keep me posted.

As you said this is a journey, & I will get through this.

I am hearing about your lap bands and insurance paying for them. What about the people that their insurance will not pay and we are self-pay. Anyone out there doing self pay. I was told it's $17,000. And are there any new posts out there for 2009 ???

Absolutely, and your doctor should have told you that! You should always eat your Protein first, as that forms a mushy "base" at the top of your band and won't let other stuff pass thru, filling you up more, according to my doc. You should be getting 60 grams of protein a day.

I do more than 60g per day, but that's not all protein. However, I drunk more protein today, & I could see that I really wasn't that hungry. I was very happy about that. I feel good about my eating today. I pray that I can continue to do better w/ my eating. Now, I would like to hear more about eating protein before my meals. So please share more about this, well if it would be more that just drinking the protein. How much should I drink? Like doz?

Hi Notorious Novembers!

I've been reading the recent message with great interest...I've been at a standstill for about 6 weeks. Flipping up and down a couple of pounds, but nothing like what I wanted.

I just had another fill on Tuesday, and I can tell the difference in my restriction, so I'm hopeful I'll start dropping pounds at a good rate again.

I tracked what I was eating, and like a lot of you, I wasn't getting enough Protein. I started using the Isopure clear Protein Drinks after my fill, because I seem to be more sensitive to fills now, and I didn't want to stress my tummy / pouch by trying to eat solids too quickly. Right now, it's feeling pretty good - I'm within sight of Onederland and I want to be there more than anything right now!

Exercise - I walk 6 days a week on average. I have a 2-mile course (that's a recent distance improvement) that I walk / wog with my husband; I walk to and from the train station to my office building at work (2 miles total for both trips) and I walk 30 minutes (about 1.5 miles) during my lunchtime at work (course includes a killer hill). Nothing else - well, I don't know that I have TIME for anything else!

My clothing sizes keep dropping (currently wearing a 16, down from 22-24) and I feel pretty good. My A1C score has dropped to 7.0 (I'm a type II diabetic) so I feel good about that as well. Goal is < 6 to get me off the meds.

Going to run / wog a 3 mile course this weekend as part of the Step Out Against Diabetes event in my area - my goal is to run the whole thing, but I don't know if I'll make that - I seem to be more winded than I thought I would be.

Hang in there, everybody - I agree that the protein intake is very important...and exercise definately helps.

JMS - can you do Water exercises? Is there a public pool near you that can accommodate you? I wish you all the best in your recovery from surgery, and pray that you continue to lose weight and your spinal issues subside. Wonderful news about the surgery and the non-invasive diagnosis! :)

Hi Notorious Novembers!

I've been reading the recent message with great interest...I've been at a standstill for about 6 weeks. Flipping up and down a couple of pounds, but nothing like what I wanted.

I just had another fill on Tuesday, and I can tell the difference in my restriction, so I'm hopeful I'll start dropping pounds at a good rate again.

I tracked what I was eating, and like a lot of you, I wasn't getting enough Protein. I started using the Isopure clear protein drinks after my fill, because I seem to be more sensitive to fills now, and I didn't want to stress my tummy / pouch by trying to eat solids too quickly. Right now, it's feeling pretty good - I'm within sight of Onederland and I want to be there more than anything right now!

Exercise - I walk 6 days a week on average. I have a 2-mile course (that's a recent distance improvement) that I walk / wog with my husband; I walk to and from the train station to my office building at work (2 miles total for both trips) and I walk 30 minutes (about 1.5 miles) during my lunchtime at work (course includes a killer hill). Nothing else - well, I don't know that I have TIME for anything else!

My clothing sizes keep dropping (currently wearing a 16, down from 22-24) and I feel pretty good. My A1C score has dropped to 7.0 (I'm a type II diabetic) so I feel good about that as well. Goal is < 6 to get me off the meds.

Going to run / wog a 3 mile course this weekend as part of the Step Out Against Diabetes event in my area - my goal is to run the whole thing, but I don't know if I'll make that - I seem to be more winded than I thought I would be.

Hang in there, everybody - I agree that the protein intake is very important...and exercise definately helps.

JMS - can you do Water exercises? Is there a public pool near you that can accommodate you? I wish you all the best in your recovery from surgery, and pray that you continue to lose weight and your spinal issues subside. Wonderful news about the surgery and the non-invasive diagnosis! :thumbup:

Hi, I do have a lg spa that was recently repaired. It's lg enough that I could do leg exercises in it and get some good movement going on. I have my post op check on Tues and hope I can start using it. I was told by a few people that I can't use hot tubs since I had lymphnodes removed, but I am hoping that's not true!!!

Hi Notorious Novembers!

I tracked what I was eating, and like a lot of you, I wasn't getting enough Protein. I started using the Isopure clear protein drinks after my fill, because I seem to be more sensitive to fills now, and I didn't want to stress my tummy / pouch by trying to eat solids too quickly. Right now, it's feeling pretty good - I'm within sight of Onederland and I want to be there more than anything right now!

JMS - can you do Water exercises? Is there a public pool near you that can accommodate you? I wish you all the best in your recovery from surgery, and pray that you continue to lose weight and your spinal issues subside. Wonderful news about the surgery and the non-invasive diagnosis! :biggrin:

Sounds like you are on your game. Congrats on getting into the 16s. I can't wait. I have been doing good thus far, and I was able to get into some skinny jeans (size 18, by the way)! I was able to put them on, but not able to wear them out, because they were still cutting on the tummy. I am working them today. I am so happy :smile:

I got my protein, and I am going to be more committed to ensuring that I always get my protein in.

Stay encouraged people. Thanks again for everyone that help me through my moment.:biggrin:

Hey everyone...nothing major to report. Just stopping by to say hello. Holding steady at 185, trying to make decent food choice, watch my portions (with an unfill) and hitting the gym (BTW i needs to hire a hit man for my trainer:blink: because that boy is trying to kill me). Still waiting for final confirmation from the ins company. my surgeon is still holding 9/30/09 as a surery date for me. but the last time i talked to the ins company (yesterday) they told me that my file was in the medical review department to determine if this surgery was a "medical necessity". Squeaking away!

I do more than 60g per day, but that's not all Protein. However, I drunk more protein today, & I could see that I really wasn't that hungry. I was very happy about that. I feel good about my eating today. I pray that I can continue to do better w/ my eating. Now, I would like to hear more about eating protein before my meals. So please share more about this, well if it would be more that just drinking the protein. How much should I drink? Like doz?

Ok, eat your protein first at a meal. i.e. if you are having chicken and veggies, eat the chicken first, as it will create a base and make you feel full faster, and also, longer. Don't drink before your meal--ANYTHING--a dry pouch feels full faster. Drink your Protein Shake in the morning, and for lunch if that keeps you full. I've done just liquids today, cause I was bad yesterday (hello popcorn), and I've had three Protein Shakes so far, that's all.

Hi everyone!!! It's been awhile. Just dropping by to update my progress.

I am a 'slow loser' and I'm okay with that! As of today I am down 43.5 pounds. I was in size 18s at surgery. If I couldn't fit it in a size 18, I didn't buy it (needless to say I only shopped at Lane Bryant and other plus size stores)! :biggrin: Now, I am in 16s--any 16s -- Walmart, Target, name-brand, all of them! I am very happy with my progress. My doc is too--he's the one that had to convince me that I am doing very well--above-average. I was getting really discouraged reading about everyone that had lost 50 pounds or more in less than 6 months. Here it is 10 months out and I still haven't lost 50 lbs...but that's ok. I have 7.1 cc's (I think...it's hard to keep up) in my 10 cc band. I've been at my sweet spot (I think) since my last visit in August but I think I will need a fill at my next appointment in October--I'm beginning to get hungry more often! I don't lose a pound a week or anything. Usually I go up and down the same 5 pounds over and over throughout the month and then drop them all at once. Usually right after TOM... So--hopefully after this TOM I'll be 50 lbs down??? I usually hold 4-5 pounds of water!!!

I started the C25K running program on August 17 and I am surprised at how my body has started changing. I am losing inches and can tell in the last week my 16s are even getting too big. Now--let me explain. I am not nor have I ever been a runner. Even in High School when it was a requirement in PE to run the mile, timed, I always walked and had a time of nearly 20 minutes. Yesterday I RAN for 20minutes straight. 1.3 miles! Holy cow...I never would have thought I'd be here.

I have to say that this band has been a life changing tool. I started out thinking that I was just going to lose weight and it was going to be easy (yeah yeah...even though everything I read told me it would not be--just like every diet pill and plan I thought I would be the atypical one). I have learned that there are times when I just want to eat, still... Head hunger never goes away for me, I guess. But I have also learned that this is not for everyone. I know that if you choose this you have to work it. It's not a magic fix. Luckily I realized it because I am one of the ones that has to exercise and eat the right things or I WILL NOT LOSE. I am healthy, I am happy with myself, and I am confident in myself. These are all things I could not say before surgery. For this and for many other reasons, I am grateful.

Sorry for the length! That's what happens when you stay away too long.

Keep up the good work everyone! :biggrin:

Crystal

Friday was my last day of work. I quit my job of almost 9 years to stay home with my 3 yr old Daughter. I am worried that with so muc free time on my hands during the day I may start snacking.

Has anyone else had a similar situation and how did they deal with it? I think I am beyond that but really scared that I will relapse into old habits.. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be great.

I also had to give up my Gym Membership in order to cut cost for me to be able to quit my job so any excercises I can do with my Daughter would be great as well

Edited by tmbowe

Friday was my last day of work. I quit my job of almost 9 years to stay home with my 3 yr old Daughter. I am worried that with so muc free time on my hands during the day I may start snacking.

Has anyone else had a similar situation and how did they deal with it? I think I am beyond that but really scared that I will relapse into old habits.. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be great.

I also had to give up my Gym Membership in order to cut cost for me to be able to quit my job so any excercises I can do with my Daughter would be great as well

Well, my husband was kind enough to let me 'retire' early, a year ago. It IS hard. You have to stay busy, and not eat out of boredom or because you are parked in front of the TV. Go for walks with your little girl, go to the park, whatever, just get out of the house and move. I get up at 630 and get my kids ready for school, take them at 7:45, the go to the gym for an hour and a half, come home and clean for about two hours, then get my husbands Breakfast, lunch and dinner cooked (he works 2nd shift). By then it's time to go pick up the kids, and I'm busy till after dinner....but that's when it's tough for me. I've always been an evening snacker, and I can go all day with just two Protein Shakes, but for some reason after dinner all I want to do is graze. It doesn't help that I quit smoking three days ago, so I've always got gum or a sucker in my mouth. I fully expect I'll gain about ten lbs, but it's something that had to done.

Well, my husband was kind enough to let me 'retire' early, a year ago. It IS hard. You have to stay busy, and not eat out of boredom or because you are parked in front of the TV. Go for walks with your little girl, go to the park, whatever, just get out of the house and move. I get up at 630 and get my kids ready for school, take them at 7:45, the go to the gym for an hour and a half, come home and clean for about two hours, then get my husbands breakfast, lunch and dinner cooked (he works 2nd shift). By then it's time to go pick up the kids, and I'm busy till after dinner....but that's when it's tough for me. I've always been an evening snacker, and I can go all day with just two Protein Shakes, but for some reason after dinner all I want to do is graze. It doesn't help that I quit smoking three days ago, so I've always got gum or a sucker in my mouth. I fully expect I'll gain about ten lbs, but it's something that had to done.

Thanks for the encouragement.. I think what I need is a routine..That will definelty keep me from snacking. I think the worst part was giving up my Gym Membership I already feel lost without it. I quit smoking 4 years ago So I feel ur pain on that one.. But I was not banded and pregnant so it made it easier..But I know u can do it without gaining weight..There are some really good sugar free candies out there you can suck on instead of the full sugar ones. Then u wont be getting all the empty calories..