Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

So, I have no restriction, but now I have this new thing. Sometimes, after I eat I have this horrid pain in the middle of my back and chest. Usually in the evening about a half hour after I eat. It's not the stuck feeling and I don't slime or pb or throw up. Nothing relieves it, last about an hour, feels like a giant air bubble is lodged in my chest. Some of the worst pain I have ever felt, much worse than being stuck. Any ideas?

Do you have your gall bladder? Feels kind of like a stick going from your chest to your back. Or at least that is how it feels for me. I saw my dr today. Got a fill....3 ccs. Can't tell much difference. I remember this time, waiting for restriction. He said each time you throw up it is like getting your band adjusted. Small, small bites, chew, chew, chew. So,here I go again. Wish me luck....starting over! Gained 10 pounds in 7 weeks....sure hope I can lose it that fast. Good luck Elyse....hope you feel better soon.

Do you have your gall bladder? Feels kind of like a stick going from your chest to your back. Or at least that is how it feels for me. I saw my dr today. Got a fill....3 ccs. Can't tell much difference. I remember this time, waiting for restriction. He said each time you throw up it is like getting your band adjusted. Small, small bites, chew, chew, chew. So,here I go again. Wish me luck....starting over! Gained 10 pounds in 7 weeks....sure hope I can lose it that fast. Good luck Elyse....hope you feel better soon.

Funny you should say that, I had my gallbladder removed when I was 20, but that is EXACTLY how the pain feels. Maybe it's just a new kind of stuck? I can't throw up no matter how bad I wanted too. I'm gaining also, totally hating this no restriction business. I feel like I've been stranded on a desert island, starving, and just got rescued, want to eat everything, eat way too fast, and more than I should, like DD said. It's not really my food choices, it's that I'm eating too much of it all!

I know where you are coming from....but this morning, after a fill yesterday afternoon, I have some restriction. No more bread...bye, bye my love....I know that is what has put the weight on me. Glad to feel the restriction this morning...feels like I am getting back to normal. Still only have 1/2 the amount that was in my band, but its a start. Maybe it is a new stuck feeling. I had it before but it was when I was too tight, so that doesn't make any sense. How much fill do you have now? Just be careful and take good care of yourself. I know I wondered if I was having a heart attack at the time. It felt so good to be free of problems, until the weight started coming back on. My diabetes, high blood pressure, joint pain all improved with my weightloss. I have to remember that! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Had my fill...still not where I want to be.

Am I not remembering correclty? When I had proper restriction before, I ate because I had to, because it was time to eat. Not out of hunger. Like you Glammaw I'm looking,hoping,praying for that feeling again and I still don't have it.

Thoes of you who have proper restrction and that have reach their sweet spot, tell me what it feels like for you so I can make sure that what I'm seeking is obtainable and realistic.

I am getting so frustrated!

dd, our bands are sure fickle, huh??? I hope to get started all over again with fills on Tuesday. I know it won't be fast but I need to get started. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will find that elusive sweet spot again. I think I found mine once for about three days :smile2: It was nice while it lasted. food was not even in my thoughts. I want that again....sooner or later. For now, we just have to keep working it. Good luck to you and everyone on this journey.

Edited by ddgalarza

It can be very frustrating. Here I am, 18 months out and starting completely over. I have 3 ccs in my band and I can tell you that is NOT ENOUGH! I do remember feeling like you describe but only for about 3 days. Then my band was too tight and they took some of the fill out. I thought it would be like that with the band, just not want food, forget to eat, only very small portions. That is not how it has worked for me. I feel like I am just on another diet right now. Just think of it this way, it has to get easier, because right now is about as hard as it gets. Hopefully, each fill will make it easier. So, to answer your question, I have only had the experience you are talking about once for 3 days. I have to keep on though. It is just not the miracle I was hoping for. Hang in there. You are in my prayers.

It can be very frustrating. Here I am, 18 months out and starting completely over. I have 3 ccs in my band and I can tell you that is NOT ENOUGH! I do remember feeling like you describe but only for about 3 days. Then my band was too tight and they took some of the fill out. I thought it would be like that with the band, just not want food, forget to eat, only very small portions. That is not how it has worked for me. I feel like I am just on another diet right now. Just think of it this way, it has to get easier, because right now is about as hard as it gets. Hopefully, each fill will make it easier. So, to answer your question, I have only had the experience you are talking about once for 3 days. I have to keep on though. It is just not the miracle I was hoping for. Hang in there. You are in my prayers.

Glammaw that is exactly how I feel, like I am on another diet. The good thing for me is that I'm not gaining, just bouning around the same 3 or 4 pounds. I feel like I need to join weight watchers or something.

I'm right there with ya! I didn't go through getting approved, having surgery and bandster hell to go on another diet. If weight watchers is the answer, then I found a NEW way to punish myself.....surgery, deprivation. I know the band is not working for me now. I am not gaining, past the initial gain when I was completely unfilled, but I am worrying about what to eat, how much is the right amount, weighing everyday. And it concerns me that there are several of us who were banded at the same time, by different surgeons, who are having the same problems. Maybe it is not the panacea it is painted to be. Maybe there hasn't been enough long term research. In any case, I have it now, so I want to make it work.....partially flipped port and all. I just don't know how I have failed my band...or failed again? What did I do wrong THIS time?

I'm right there with ya! I didn't go through getting approved, having surgery and bandster hell to go on another diet. If weight watchers is the answer, then I found a NEW way to punish myself.....surgery, deprivation. I know the band is not working for me now. I am not gaining, past the initial gain when I was completely unfilled, but I am worrying about what to eat, how much is the right amount, weighing everyday. And it concerns me that there are several of us who were banded at the same time, by different surgeons, who are having the same problems. Maybe it is not the panacea it is painted to be. Maybe there hasn't been enough long term research. In any case, I have it now, so I want to make it work.....partially flipped port and all. I just don't know how I have failed my band...or failed again? What did I do wrong THIS time?

You read my mind! Is 18 months the fail date? I think it's pretty darn funny that so many of us are having problems too. I have a friend that's been banded 3 years, same thing, problems around a year and a half. Good news is she's fine now, at her sweet spot and continued to lose after that stall.

Glad to hear it. Right now I am grasping at straws. With only 3ccs in I PBd yesterday at lunch. Starting over after 18 months is no fun and, I think, even harder than the first time around. I can do this....I can do this....I can do this.....repeat.....

Hey Notorious Novembers,

Been quite a while since I checked in, so HI! (waving wildly)

I read about the challenges y'all are having at the 18 month point - I'm sorta there with you. I've stabilized at 180 lbs - down 85 from where I started in Nov 2008 and very happy about that. I'm off all of the diabetes meds and the blood pressure meds and now take nothing but Vitamins and Iron supplements.< /p>

I have been having more 'head issues' lately regarding food. I got a slight unfill because I was having a lot of trouble getting down salads, fresh fruit, etc - all the healthy stuff I WANT to eat. Since the slight unfill, I've had a return of some of my bad eating habits, but not on a huge scale - just occasionally. I'm also back in the gym 3 days a week and doing the C28K running program.

I think it's simple fatigue setting in - at the 18 month point we're feeling like we should have accomplished our goals when we were banded and the 'long haul' is feeling a bit too long. This is the longest-term solution for my weight problem I've EVER had, and maybe it's that way for you too...

I am not a doctor or a counselor, but I want to suggest that you re-visit in your head the reasons you wanted the band in the first place - maybe re-write the goals you had for that time and refresh your memory of why you did this in the first place. Review your progress - you HAVE made positive progress - and hopefully that will help you find the stick-to-it-iveness (my mama's word!) to keep on going.

Give yourself permission to go slowly - my surgeon told me that after a year, they do see the weight loss numbers drop - that 'fatigue' thing - and it's possible that our minds are 'tricking' us into thinking this process should be "over" now...for me, it will never be "over". I will try to stay focused on the bandster lifestyle for the rest of my natural life, because if I don't, I'll slide right back into old habits and start regaining weight - because after all, I KNOW what will slide past my band :smile2:

Hang in there, ladies - you CAN re-set your dedication and your experience and you WILL succeed at this...heck, you already HAVE! You have not given up...you have not had your band unfilled on purpose...you are still posting here and looking for answers...

Let me know how you're doing!:redface:

Hi all. Well, I had 3 ccs put back in my band. I have only 3 ccs and I PB everything I eat. I am afraid something is really wrong with my band. They didn't check it, just said it was okay since my problems stopped when my band was completely unfilled. Yes, I have lost 5 pounds, but at what cost. I PBd in front of my 5 year old granddaughters and I never wanted to do that again. They worry about me and tell me I need to go to the doctor. I am back to Soups and instant Breakfast. And, of course, ice cream goes down really easily. I enjoyed eating salads, too, and chicken, when I was completely unfilled. Doctor says every time you throw up, your band gets tighter. What can I do? I am facing wrist surgery in the near future and it is all getting to be too much for me. Guess I will make an appt. for a complete unfill again. Then what? Words of wisdom, please......

Well, it's been close to 2 yrs. since we had our surgery. Like me, most of you do not come here much anymore. This is probably a testament of how well we have done and are doing!! I still would love to hear from everyone as to how you are doing, are you still really happy with your band and that you got it? Also any problems anyone is having.

I am still doing great and maintaining a 90 lb loss. I really have no fat to lose, just wish I could afford to get rid of the excess skin. I wear shapers and it does the trick and makes me look really nice!

Some days I am really hungry and eat lots. This is usually followed by a couple days of little appetite so if I gain a couple pounds it comes off right away. I can eat anything I want since I do not eat too much. It is so nice to not have to refuse any foods due to it being "fattening"! I still use lots of sauces with meat and poultry and lots of dressing on my salads. The extra calories do not seem to make a difference thankfully and everything tastes wonderful.

I hope and pray I continue doing well and have no problems since my insurance will not cover anything. I have not seen the surgeon since I had my hyst a yr ago and had an unfill followed by 2 fills to get back to where I had been. I think I am at 5.6 cc's which seems perfect for maintaining. I do still PB sometimes due to eating too fast or trying to eat a sandwich or something else I should not attempt. I worry about doing that and I am now an expert at getting stuck food out immediately, but I know it can cause problems to do so often.

So, my November sisters, take a minute and let everyone here know how you are doing!! :thumbup:

Ugh...almost two years. I had some many high hopes for my journey to this point. I have worked so hard, got a gym membership, went 4-5 times a week. Very aware of everything I ate, and the results...lost 18 pounds in the first year, as of now the total loss bounces between 40-50 lbs. BUT...I had to have my last fill taken out but had to fight with the doctor to get that done. He kept saying we aren't there yet we need more fill and has over filled me 3x. I am anemic (so bad that I am now on prescriptions for it) I was actually malnourished and all the while the surgeon wanted to put more fill in. (I know there will many that read this and say well find another surgeon, well I live in a rural area and there are no others) I am insulin resistant and pre-diabetic (which I wasn't told this before surgery, had they found that before surgery? :huh2:I am told there is almost no way they couldn't have known, but who knows)

After having a fill last year I struggled with eating almost everything. I couldn't eat any fresh vegies, salad, of course no breads, Pasta, (which is fine, I knew that going in) no beef, pork. The list went on and on but yet...still almost no weight loss. I went to an endocrinologist and was told I was malnourished!! So I am a fat chick who can die of malnutrition?? WTH? :thumbup: But my doctor said no we need another fill...I almost went postal at that point....I actually started crying. How can they be so narrow minded they would rather harm a person to prove a point that THEIR surgery was a success and I...the patient is the failure? Then they wonder why several months go by without my returning to the office?

So here I was 1 year 10 months and 3 days, 42 pounds down, hating the band, hating my weight and more unhealthy now than I was before the band....and then I realized.... I have now come to a decent place with my band where I am (maybe surprising to some) glad I had it done! Not because I have so much weight loss but I have stopped gaining weight, and that is a start!

So not the journey I had hoped for, but I guess we must handle what is given to us. I will keep on going, I will come to a place where I am happier and healthier and learn from this...but I will never recommend the lap band to anyone. :(

Sunny, I'm sorry to hear of all your struggles and it does indeed sound like your Dr. is mostly to blame. It seems some surgeons learn how to do the surgery, but neglect to learn how to treat their patients in their follow-up care. We have to be our own best advocates and you know you were too full and that is why you were struggling and each fill just made it worse. Over and over it is seen that people simply cannot lose weight when the band is too tight and it can cause lots of other problems besides no weight loss.

I hope you are now telling your Dr. what YOU want and You know is best for you in regards to the Fluid in your band. Just a tiny unfill can make a huge difference. Just makes me appreciate more that I have a well informed Dr. who listens! I hope it will get easier for you.