Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

I recovered from my second fill, which was tough, and a sinus infection and I'm doing ok now. I was very happy today to try on the dress I bought a couple months back for my son's March 21st wedding and it fits perfectly!! Yeah!!! It's the same designer and 2 sizes smaller than the dress I was married in last June so that was an accomplishment for me. I really did not think I would be wearing the dress! I can't eat much and have no real appetite until later afternoon. I can eat well after that. I have a Protein Shake and skinny latte early in the day. I can now eat tuna and hamburger. I am a bit upset that I can no longer eat nuts as I could after the first fill and enjoyed them as a quick easy snack. Can the rest of you still eat nuts??

I was told that I would not be able to eat nuts as I once could. Honesty, I just haven't tried. Crazy. I even have some nuts on my table I use to eat. I just haven't thrown them away since the surgery. Oh, and congrats on dropping 2 sizes.

I recovered from my second fill, which was tough, and a sinus infection and I'm doing ok now. I was very happy today to try on the dress I bought a couple months back for my son's March 21st wedding and it fits perfectly!! Yeah!!! It's the same designer and 2 sizes smaller than the dress I was married in last June so that was an accomplishment for me. I really did not think I would be wearing the dress! I can't eat much and have no real appetite until later afternoon. I can eat well after that. I have a Protein Shake and skinny latte early in the day. I can now eat tuna and hamburger. I am a bit upset that I can no longer eat nuts as I could after the first fill and enjoyed them as a quick easy snack. Can the rest of you still eat nuts??

I can eat them fine, just very slowly. I did PB on them once but it was because I ate too fast.

Hey you guys, how is everyone doing? Me? Well, I had my 3rd fill today, she added 1cc to my band which puts me at 6.5 in my 10cc band. I had really watery cream o wheatt for Breakfast and a very thin low fat creamed Soup for lunch. After the cream o wheat (of which I ate the WHOLE thing) I really wasnt feeling FULL or anything in particular. So for luuch I had a low fat cream based soup and about 1/2 way through it I felt it. the ever so feeling of "I really shouldnt' have another bite"....so i didn't. I feel contnent with amount that I ate, not stuffed but content. I'm hoping....praying that this is it, or closer to that magic sweet spot. Wish me luck.

Mornin' Notorious Novembers!

It was a up and down weekend - the snow gave me the chance for some extra exercise, but boredom encouraged me to eat a little too much, so I think it was all a wash!

I'm back at work and reading through your inspirational messages and getting myself back on track...

I've managed to lower my weight by 78 pounds since November 2008. I had my yearly checkup and my regular doctor was amazed. All of my tests (Blood, urine, etc...) came back normal, nothing elevated!

Overall, I'm down 76 pounds since November and have just had my third fill. I'm able to fit into my old (really old) pants and shirts.

You and your wife have done an awesome job, and you're definately an inspiration. The discipline you show in getting in your workouts (even if you don't exactly love them) is so key to your success. I pray I can be as consistent!

I was very happy today to try on the dress I bought a couple months back for my son's March 21st wedding and it fits perfectly!! Yeah!!! It's the same designer and 2 sizes smaller than the dress I was married in last June so that was an accomplishment for me.

Jms - that is such an awesome accomplishment! Congrats to you and I know you're going to look awesome in that dress!

So for luuch I had a low fat cream based Soup and about 1/2 way through it I felt it. the ever so feeling of "I really shouldnt' have another bite"....so i didn't. I feel contnent with amount that I ate, not stuffed but content.

That is the EXACT feeling I get, now that I've had my 2nd fill - it's kinda weird at first, but it's sorta neat at the same time. Now if I could just get my 'fat mind' to realize that the physical signal means I am FULL, I'd be in good shape! :thumbup:

Just gotta keep plugging away - my body knows it can survive on less food now, but convincing my mind is a different struggle all together!

Hang in there everyone! We can do this! :)

Hi Novembers,

Well, I am back on track after the week-end. Not that I did that badly, but I did relax a little and had pizza on Friday night with the grand kids. I used to eat four or five slices, easily, and this time I splurged, had two pieces and felt really full for the rest of the evening. I am really fighting the mind set that if I don't feel stuffed, I must be hungry and need to eat. I have a hard time diferentiating between hungry, not hungry and full.

I think the Memorial Day/June challenge is helping me though. I need those short term goals to keep me on track and making the better meal choices. Even though I am eating less, I still have a hard time steering away from the high fat items.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a Mayonnaise substitute? I absolutely can't stand the fat free stuff and threw it out. I am going to try the reduced fat this week.

I sometimes get a little discouraged after reading everyone's status and losses. I still go up and down the same 5 pounds over the last couple months and can't seem to get to the 20 pounds lost mark (I was there for a day I think...). I go Friday and will see about another fill (I have had 2...). I can feel the restriction now since my last fill and I know I'm eating MUCH less...I just thought it would be so much more gone.... OK --just a vent. I think I'm officially about 16 pounds down since surgery, which is more than 4 pounds a month (even with gaining 6 over Christmas)...so I have to see that as a success. 4 pounds a month over a year is almost 50 pounds. The dr. said sometimes it takes 3 or 4 fills to get to sweet spot and he know I wasn't there yet because he wasn't getting any "push back" from the fill. He's only doing 1 to 1.5 cc's each time (so far have had 2). I'll get there... :) I do know I am not alone, so that does help. I wanna be a loser. :tongue2:

I don't know about the rest of you Novembens but I have had it with this band and not losing. And before you all go and tell me I need a fill, I don't. I had to get an unfill so I could get Water down. So I am filled.

So yesterday I went to Weight Watchers and joined. Hopefully now the scale will start moving. Sad that you have to pay for a diet after having surgery that was suppose to work. :) What's the point.

I will you keep you posted on how it goes.

I sometimes get a little discouraged after reading everyone's status and losses. I still go up and down the same 5 pounds over the last couple months and can't seem to get to the 20 pounds lost mark (I was there for a day I think...). I go Friday and will see about another fill (I have had 2...). I can feel the restriction now since my last fill and I know I'm eating MUCH less...I just thought it would be so much more gone.... OK --just a vent. I think I'm officially about 16 pounds down since surgery, which is more than 4 pounds a month (even with gaining 6 over Christmas)...so I have to see that as a success. 4 pounds a month over a year is almost 50 pounds. The dr. said sometimes it takes 3 or 4 fills to get to sweet spot and he know I wasn't there yet because he wasn't getting any "push back" from the fill. He's only doing 1 to 1.5 cc's each time (so far have had 2). I'll get there... :tongue2: I do know I am not alone, so that does help. I wanna be a loser. :mellow:

Hey Crystal...you are a loser:thumbup:! 4 pounds a month is awesome (same as me). Just think before the band how easy it was to put ON 4lbs a month with out even trying. Small victories are still VICTORIES! Remember, we signed up for the LapBand a slow and steady weight loss tool where 1-2lbs a weeks is the goal. If we wanted 5-10lb weight loss every week we would have gotten the bypass or tried out for the biggest loser:tt2:. My Dr. is like yours will only give me 1-1.5 cc's at a time with the same philosophy about it taking a few fills to find the "sweet spot". I have been tossing the same 3 pounds back and forth for the last 2 weeks, but if I check my self I know its because , 1)I took the week off from the gym :willy_nilly:and 2)my diet could have been better. So all we can do is take each day one at a time and try to do the best we can. But by the same token, for me I'm really trying to seriously buckle down and get 110% committed to the process and stop being wishywashy with my diet and exercise. I know that I can't afford to slack off because as soon as I do the scale starts to show it:eek:. When I lose even 1lb, that's 1lb that I NEVER want to see again. Keep me posted on how your'e doing.:)

Edited by ddgalarza

I don't know about the rest of you Novembens but I have had it with this band and not losing. And before you all go and tell me I need a fill, I don't. I had to get an unfill so I could get Water down. So I am filled.

So yesterday I went to Weight Watchers and joined. Hopefully now the scale will start moving. Sad that you have to pay for a diet after having surgery that was suppose to work. :) What's the point.

I will you keep you posted on how it goes.

I will be looking for your update:wink2: I am loosing slowly and truly frustrated. Hope you find what works for you

hey you guys, everyone seems so bumped out. i know its hard sometimes and the scale doesnt always move like we want it to but we really can do this. we have to, there isnt one of us that had surgery for the fun of it. we made the choice to undergo surgery and i know not one of us made that decision lightly. so as serious as we all took the decision to have the surgery we have to dedicate ourselves to the process that is completely our responsibilty of plugging in all the right components to lose the weight. for me personally when the scale stops moving and i retrace my steps i can USUALLY find something that i could have done better (more Water, better food choices, more exercise or a more intense workout....something) we are going to plateau on whatever diet we try, jenny craig, weight watchers, adkins and they ALL work as long as you use them the way that they were intended to be used...just like the band. i know alot of us are still searching for the elusive sweet spot but until we find it we have to step up our game in ever other aspect, we have to make the right food choices, as much as possible, and we we dont we need to make up for that with more exercise. calories burned minus calories in equals weight loss. i know i'm preaching to the choir, we all know these things. i just want everyone to do well and try to stay positive!:)

for me personally when the scale stops moving and i retrace my steps i can USUALLY find something that i could have done better (more Water, better food choices, more exercise or a more intense workout....something) we are going to plateau on whatever diet we try, jenny craig, weight watchers, adkins and they ALL work as long as you use them the way that they were intended to be used...just like the band. i know alot of us are still searching for the elusive sweet spot but until we find it we have to step up our game in ever other aspect, we have to make the right food choices, as much as possible, and we we dont we need to make up for that with more exercise. calories burned minus calories in equals weight loss.

Thank you for trying to keep us positive. But all these things you pointed out I did before the band and lost. So why did we get the band? I am not losing a thing on the band. I am going back to a diet I know works for me. My issue is why did I get the band if I am going back to the making good choices and exercise. I certainly did not need a band for that. I am not sure what the band is suppose to be doing, other than making things stick and pb'ing. It is really getting hard to try to stay positive with something I have yet to see do anything for me.

Wanna, now that you have had a slight unfill, your scales may begin to move. I had a super tight fill right now and my scales have been stalling. You need to be able to eat to lose.

Just make good choices now, and learn to listen to your band trying to tell you when to stop. That part has been hard for me. I eat fast and then it is too late. Then I am sick, then I am mad, and then I eat something mushie which is bad calories usually.

Eat regular solid food now and steer clear of the mushies. Get a bit of exercise. I just get up and walk to the frig instead of having someone else do it or I go get my kids on the other side of the church instead of calling their cell phones. That kind of thing.

Also, don't get down. It is just finding the place in your band where you will lose. We are all having to find that place. It just takes a bit longer for some than others. You will get there and you will do well. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start with a brand new perspective and it will happen. You will do awesome!

Thank you for trying to keep us positive. But all these things you pointed out I did before the band and lost. So why did we get the band? I am not losing a thing on the band. I am going back to a diet I know works for me. My issue is why did I get the band if I am going back to the making good choices and exercise. I certainly did not need a band for that. I am not sure what the band is suppose to be doing, other than making things stick and pb'ing. It is really getting hard to try to stay positive with something I have yet to see do anything for me.

Wannab Has your dr. given you any guidence on why no loss?

Mornin' Notorious Novembers!

So yesterday I went to Weight Watchers and joined. Hopefully now the scale will start moving. Sad that you have to pay for a diet after having surgery that was suppose to work. :blush: What's the point.

WannaB - I'm so sorry to hear that you are not having the success you envisioned when you got your band...perhaps by re-educating yourself on healthy food choices via Weight Watchers, and by following that program with the band as a backup to help with Portion Control, the scale will start to move for you.

But all these things you pointed out I did before the band and lost. So why did we get the band? I am not losing a thing on the band. I am going back to a diet I know works for me. My issue is why did I get the band if I am going back to the making good choices and exercise. I certainly did not need a band for that.

I can say with absolute certainty that while I knew what I was supposed to do, without my band, I was NOT doing it. I know how to exercise - I was a lifeguard for many years during high school and college and used to swim a mile a day (72 laps of a 25-yard pool); I lifted weights and did cardio classes with dumbbells before aerobics with weights was popular. I was strong, yes, perhaps even fit, but I could never get the scale to move in any real way. Even when I lost weight, it came right back on.

For me, the last straw - so to speak - was being hospitalized with an irregular heartbeat that had me passing out on the treadmill during my usual 30-minute routine one morning. It was my body's signal that I wasn't doing enough...that the exercise was not enough to counteract the bad things I was doing to my body with food.

Since I was banded my blood sugar numbers are getting better by the week - my doctor is considering taking me off of insulin, and I have lost over 20 pounds with NO REBOUND. I am eating better than I have in years because the band only allows me to eat so much, so I'm focusing on the good stuff.

I'm hoping that going back to WW helps you, WannaB - and that the band becomes the tool you must have believed it was before you went through the process of getting surgery.

I believe you can be successful with the band - and I want to encourage you from afar...I cannot know everything you are going through, but I pray that you will get the results you want and be a healthier, happier WannaB! :scared2: