Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average age of a Bandster?

At what age did you get banded?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. At what age did you get banded?

• Teens
    • Twenties
    • Thirties
    • Fourties
    • Fifties
    • Sixties
    • Other

Hi! I'm also 28 (almost 29) and I'm getting banded in 2 weeks. I've been considering it for a couple years and finally took the plunge this year. I didn't want to still be fat at 30. So I'm gonna spend the last year of my 20's rebuilding :)

I will be 68 in two weeks and was banded on 3/17/10. Wish this had been invented at least 40 years ago.

I was 54, my DH 50, my sister 46, my mother 76. We ALL wish WLS had been available to us years ago.

19. :scared2:

I am 36 and started with a BMI of 35. I am 6'6" and started at 305 at the beginning of June. I am at 280 now and lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. I wish I would have done it at 26! Or 20!

I'm 43 yeas old and I got banded on 8/9 . I looked into it 3 years ago but my ins didn't cover the Lap Band. I would have did it 10 years ago if I could have.

I got banded 3/15/10 at age 39 (turned 40 this summer) because I have struggled with my weight since the 3rd grade. My metabolism was tanking and my weight increasing. I went to a WL seminar about 10 years ago and a couple others during those 10 years. Finally, my insurance company BCBS of MS decided to do a pilot starting this year and for the next 2 years. They are choosing 100 state employees' applications over the 3 year period for WLS. Thank God, I was in the first 100. So, they will track our progress and if we do well, they will open it up to everyone that qualifies for it (after the 3 yr. pilot). So, I am doing it for myself and hoping that we do well so others in our state get to do it as well:biggrin:.

I got banded 3/15/10 at age 39 (turned 40 this summer) because I have struggled with my weight since the 3rd grade. My metabolism was tanking and my weight increasing. I went to a WL seminar about 10 years ago and a couple others during those 10 years. Finally, my insurance company BCBS of MS decided to do a pilot starting this year and for the next 2 years. They are choosing 100 state employees' applications over the 3 year period for WLS. Thank God, I was in the first 100. So, they will track our progress and if we do well, they will open it up to everyone that qualifies for it (after the 3 yr. pilot). So, I am doing it for myself and hoping that we do well so others in our state get to do it as well:biggrin:.

Good for you! You sound very determined to do well for not just yourself but others who will follow. I have family members who have done great with their bands.

Edited by Ellisa

31 and yes if I could have had it in when I was 18 I would have! I gained over 100 pounds in less than two years right after I graduated. They say freshman 15 I had the freshman 100!!! Joking I think I actually lost 20 pounds my first semester and gained it all back by the end of the second semester with interest and the rest is history!!

I am 34 and would have done it 10+ years ago if I could have. I didn't know about the band until the past few years and then it took a card in the mail and a kick in the butt to go for it. I am SO glad I did. For anyone that thinks they'll wait - DON'T. Do it as soon as you can.

Turning 63 3 days after surgery! All these years of struggling can finally be over. I guess I wasn't ready before but I sure am now. I should have done this 20 years ago.

Grams:thumbup:

Turning 63 3 days after surgery! All these years of struggling can finally be over. I guess I wasn't ready before but I sure am now. I should have done this 20 years ago.

Grams:thumbup:

You go girl :biggrin:!

I was banded Friday and right now at 4 days post op. It was mentioned very briefly to me at 31. I am now 34 and I think I did it right. I am absolutely ready now but know I was not ready even 3 years ago. AND... its improved since even then!!

I'm 26, got banded two weeks ago today. While I wished I could have lost weight sooner, as far as having any kind of WLS, I needed to be in the right place mentally for it.

Had I had it any sooner, I don't think I would have been nearly as prepared for the mental challenges it brings.

With that being said, two years ago I had severe gastritis (stomach itself was inflamed and swollen) for no reason. I was on a very bland, low-everything diet, because that's all I could handle. Same meals every single day without a break. I went through the food funeral, learning to socialize again without eating, crying because I couldn't have the same meals with family, go out to eat with friends, etc.

As I got better towards the end, I had to test foods to see how they were tolerated (just like the band) only this time, I will only test food good for me, not test junk that I had missed dearly like an old friend LOL That was a hard lesson learned. I lost 60 LB being sick, and gained it ALL back in less time than it took to lose.

So I was much more prepared for this, I think, having gone through that. Had I done it earlier, I think the road would have been so much more bumpier.

I turn 28 in Dec and plan on getting banded late Jan or early Fed. I would have done it years ago if I could have. But would I have been ready years ago probally not!!!! I probally would have failed it. I was a different person then.