Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should prostitution be legal?

Should prostitution be legal?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should prostitution be legal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

battygreen: "If women choose to have sex with someone other than the one she is married to, for whatever reason, like to make money, then the consequences go along with that. All I'm saying is that you reap what you sow. If you do the 'right' things in life, you can usually avoid things like aids, STDs, unwanted pregnancies, etc. I had a tenant who would go to the local food bank every week, cause she had no money for food, but she had a 2 pack a day addiction to cigarettes. If I was running that food bank, I'd tell her she couldn't receive any food because if she would quit smoking, she would easily be able to afford her own groceries. It's not right to enable people, because when you do, you keep them bound to their sin. In order for them to DO something about their circumstance, they need to hit the bottom sometimes, so they can bounce back. It's called 'tough love'. It's not about 'hating' anyone."

BJean: I have some friends who use your same logic. They believes that after every drug bust in the United States, the drugs that are confiscated should then be laced with poison and put back out on the street. Those darned drug users would then reap what they sow - death from drugs. They claim that would help everyone out. Puts the drug user out of his misery. Gets them off the dole since they're probably wandering up to food banks for sustinence. Helps the vice squad clear out the street riff raff. The police don't have to have as many officers dealing with the drug problem, etc., etc.

I think that's hateful and mean and clearly judgmental and intolerant. As several here have said, you can't know what the circumstances are for someone's prostitution, or drug use for that matter.

I believe that if these things that are wrecking people and our country, the victimless crimes, were leagl and dealt with in some kind of sane way, then the perpetrators would reap what they sow without any help from self-righteous, judgmental, intolerant boobs. If people get hooked on drugs or if they can't make a living any other way than prostitution, then so be it. Who are we to pass judgement on them here on earth by doing things like you did, refusing a woman food because she smokes?

If a person chooses behavior that is a sin or detrimental to their health, it is their choice. They have to suffer any consequences. It isn't up to you or my friends to pass judgment and inflict punishment.

Don't try to pass your behavior off as "tough love" because what you did was pass judgment, be intolerant of someone with different beliefs than you, and inflict punishment. Don't tell us that you don't consider yourself God. Or at least God's tool. Don't tell us that you don't hate. Your behavior and your words clearly expose what you are all about. We're just going by what you tell us. And what you tell us everyday on every thread on which you post, is that you are judgemental, consider yourself an instrument of God, and you believe that you are well-equipped to inflict punishment whenever you have the opportunity.

Tough love my booty.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't BattiGreen fat? Doesn't she suffer her God the sin of her Gluttony? Why did she get treatment for her eating disorder but those that are addicted to drugs should be judged and hung? Any bets that her sins aren't nearly as bad as those around her?

I can't stand her. I really can't. I hate the bigotry and judgment. There has to be some self loathing there to post the crap she does. That ignore feature is sweet!

Yes, Wasa. She often puts that in her posts. The fact that she's fat and that's a sin, etc. She likes to say that she's a sinner and that she tries to not sin but that God forgives her. Only when a person knows they're sinning and they continue to do it, is it a bad thing. Because God knows we're all sinners and he forgives us if we are born again, accept Jesus Christ as our own personal savior, etc., etc.

So because she admits that she's a sinner, as with most evangelicals, that gives them the right to judge others and take it upon themselves to be an instrument of God to let the sinner know who they are, what they are, and how they should be punished here on earth for being a sinner and not knowing Jesus.

Did I get that right patty? Because I am sure that you can't wait to set me straight if I didn't.

In that case, food was my drug, and I knew for years that I was a glutton, and continued to overeat, and get fatter. However all the while I was morbidly obese, I seriously tried to do right by others. I am not on any form of public assistance, but I know I cost my insurance company as well as myself additional money to treat my high blood pressure, and many additional problems that were weight related.

I saw no way out for a long time. I would diet, and lose a bit, then binge for whatever reason, and gain even more weight. For me, the band got me out of that cycle. For many on drugs, they have no band. For many women who are prostituting themselves to support their family, there is no band. To go from making several hundred dollars in a couple of days to making $150.00 a week in fast food or at Walmart, is not feasible! It does not pay the bills and provide for a family.

How do you propose THEY get the help we did with the band? We had a hand up with our "sin" of gluttony with the band (or whatever surgery we had)----oten times insurance approved help. So how do the other "sinners" get the help WE did. You included.

As for Octomom, she too CONTINUED her sinning. She did not stop at one....or two....and had she not had 8 at once I would bet she would not be stopped at all. Yet you can find forgiveness for her?

I just don't get it.

Edited by Kat817
no "?" needed!!

Wrong. Nadia was receiving public assistance for the kids she had before the octuplets so following your line of thinking, we shouldn't give her a dime for the kids she continued to have. Oh, except because she claims to be a Christian, you're all for supporting her. Hypocrisy.

And where or where did a victim of domestic violence and abuse bring that situation on themselves? How does someone who is mentally ill cause that? People like that can't hold down a job at McDonalds. Despite what you probably think that actually takes functioning brain cognition. Many of these people are not in the right frame of mind to even make sure they shower everyday much less know how to fill out a job application. Your thought process is extremely flawed because you live in a glass house.

Yes, you do hate. Yes, I do feel sorry for you.

Thank you Kat and Nanook! I don't make a ton of money because I work in public health (made much more in the hospital) but I feel it's what I was meant to do. The rewards are much better than money :scared2:

I'm not talking about mentally ill people or those involved in domestic violence or even the average Joe who works at McDonalds or Nadia Sulemon. I'm refering to PROSTITUTES who are living a sinful lifestyle. Anyone who is living in sin and refuses to turn from their ways should not be given a handout. How you turn what I said around! I'm all for helping the menatlly handicapped who can't help themselves and for others who by no choice of their own are down on their luck. I just don't feel that prostitutes should get any help unless they turn from what they are doing.

FYI, I don't support anyone who does wrong, whether they are a christian or not, and I never said I supported N.Sulemon's choices.

battygreen: "If women choose to have sex with someone other than the one she is married to, for whatever reason, like to make money, then the consequences go along with that. All I'm saying is that you reap what you sow. If you do the 'right' things in life, you can usually avoid things like aids, STDs, unwanted pregnancies, etc. I had a tenant who would go to the local food bank every week, cause she had no money for food, but she had a 2 pack a day addiction to cigarettes. If I was running that food bank, I'd tell her she couldn't receive any food because if she would quit smoking, she would easily be able to afford her own groceries. It's not right to enable people, because when you do, you keep them bound to their sin. In order for them to DO something about their circumstance, they need to hit the bottom sometimes, so they can bounce back. It's called 'tough love'. It's not about 'hating' anyone."

BJean: I have some friends who use your same logic. They believes that after every drug bust in the United States, the drugs that are confiscated should then be laced with poison and put back out on the street. Those darned drug users would then reap what they sow - death from drugs. They claim that would help everyone out. Puts the drug user out of his misery. Gets them off the dole since they're probably wandering up to food banks for sustinence. Helps the vice squad clear out the street riff raff. The police don't have to have as many officers dealing with the drug problem, etc., etc.

I think that's hateful and mean and clearly judgmental and intolerant. As several here have said, you can't know what the circumstances are for someone's prostitution, or drug use for that matter.

I believe that if these things that are wrecking people and our country, the victimless crimes, were leagl and dealt with in some kind of sane way, then the perpetrators would reap what they sow without any help from self-righteous, judgmental, intolerant boobs. If people get hooked on drugs or if they can't make a living any other way than prostitution, then so be it. Who are we to pass judgement on them here on earth by doing things like you did, refusing a woman food because she smokes?

If a person chooses behavior that is a sin or detrimental to their health, it is their choice. They have to suffer any consequences. It isn't up to you or my friends to pass judgment and inflict punishment.

Don't try to pass your behavior off as "tough love" because what you did was pass judgment, be intolerant of someone with different beliefs than you, and inflict punishment. Don't tell us that you don't consider yourself God. Or at least God's tool. Don't tell us that you don't hate. Your behavior and your words clearly expose what you are all about. We're just going by what you tell us. And what you tell us everyday on every thread on which you post, is that you are judgemental, consider yourself an instrument of God, and you believe that you are well-equipped to inflict punishment whenever you have the opportunity.

Tough love my booty.

First of all, drug abuse is an ADDICTION and prostitution is NOT. Prostitution is a CHOICE that he or she CHOOSES. Drug abusers can't help their 'need' for their drug. Even so, they shouldn't get the publics help in any way unless they are willing to enter rehab FIRST. Yor example of lacing their drugs is NOT my way. I don't condone killing people. I just don't condone enabling anyone. If your friends condone the example you gave, then you need to get new friends.

So, let me get this straight. You feel that it's okay to give funds and donations of food to your local food pantry to help those who can't afford food for their families and then have those who really don't need that food (because they CHOOSE to buy cigarettes, which could kill you BTW, or use their money on fancy clothes, you know, 'other' things they'd rather have) be the recipients of your charity which was intended to help the poor?

WOW, go figure?

You are absolutely right when you say that if a person chooses behavior that is a sin or detremental to their health, that it is their choice. I'm all for choices. Just don't expect the rest of us to have to shell anything out to you because you want to CONTINUE in that sin. Why should I have to pay for a prostitutes medical care when she gets aids or an STD? She knew the risks?

Just what are you talking about when you say I'm inflicting punishment? That's a new one. I can understand when you say I'm passing judgement, cause you don't know what that means, but inflicting punishment?

Judgement: a final sentence.

I've NEVER given anyone a final sentence on anything. I don't have the authority to do that. Only God does. I can only point out what God calls sinful. Oh, and BTW I never said anywhere that I was an instrument of God. I believe that God will use anyone he chooses to tell others about what he says is right and wrong in life. Your insults don't offend me.

Thank God that there are people like Nursemelly, who really do care and are big enough and kind enough to help people who are down.

It's wonderful to help those that are down, like you say. The mentally ill, the jobless, those who are addicted to drugs, etc. It's just not wonderful to enable the prostitutes she deals with daily to CONTINUE to live in their sin by helping them. If they were denied care UNLESS they stopped their sinful lifestyle, they just might turn from it.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't BattiGreen fat? Doesn't she suffer her God the sin of her Gluttony? Why did she get treatment for her eating disorder but those that are addicted to drugs should be judged and hung? Any bets that her sins aren't nearly as bad as those around her?

I can't stand her. I really can't. I hate the bigotry and judgment. There has to be some self loathing there to post the crap she does. That ignore feature is sweet!

I know that wasa has me on ignore, but I'm responding to this anyway. WHO said that those who are addicted to drugs should be hung and judged?! NOT me. Go back and reread my posts. I believe that addicted people need to be helped. But the help they need is REHAB.

As for my own sin of gluttony, I have said this before and I'll say it again. I am a sinner. Just like everyone else on this board. I don't deny my sins, or claim they are diseases, or say I was born that way. I ADMIT them and CONFESS them and God has forgiven me for them just like he'll forgive anyone else for theirs.

In that case, food was my drug, and I knew for years that I was a glutton, and continued to overeat, and get fatter. However all the while I was morbidly obese, I seriously tried to do right by others. I am not on any form of public assistance, but I know I cost my insurance company as well as myself additional money to treat my high blood pressure, and many additional problems that were weight related.

I saw no way out for a long time. I would diet, and lose a bit, then binge for whatever reason, and gain even more weight. For me, the band got me out of that cycle. For many on drugs, they have no band. For many women who are prostituting themselves to support their family, there is no band. To go from making several hundred dollars in a couple of days to making $150.00 a week in fast food or at Walmart, is not feasible! It does not pay the bills and provide for a family.

How do you propose THEY get the help we did with the band? We had a hand up with our "sin" of gluttony with the band (or whatever surgery we had)----oten times insurance approved help. So how do the other "sinners" get the help WE did. You included.

As for Octomom, she too CONTINUED her sinning. She did not stop at one....or two....and had she not had 8 at once I would bet she would not be stopped at all. Yet you can find forgiveness for her?

I just don't get it.

People who prostitute themselves don't need a help with their sin like gluttons or drug addicts or alcoholics do. They just need to change jobs. Like I said already my problem is not with those who CAN'T help themselves, like drug addicts or abused victims or the mentally retarded. It's with those who CAN help what they do. Like PROSTITUTES. If they are USED to making 700. a week and can't afford to live on a Mcdonalds paycheck of 325.(my son works there and makes that much, full time take home pay)then they need to down size. Get rid of cable and cell phones and any other unnecessary bills they have , move into a cheaper rent, stop buying expensive clothes and do some tag saling, whatever it takes to stop living that way. People in this country live on less than that and don't have to resort to prostitution to get by.

We don't need to legalize ANY sinful activity. We already have enough of that. Abortions are legal, smoking and drinking is legal,(now the talk is legalizing marajuana) homosexual marriages are becoming legal state by state, (now there is talk of the "threesome marriage") Oh brother! What next? Siblings getting married? How about legalizing drug use?

It's one thing to allow the people of the land to make their own choices in their own lives, it's quite another thing to legalize them. You want to sleep with some one of the same sex? go ahead. You want to sell your body for sex, go ahead. This is America, you can do anything you want. But to make it the law of the land is where I have to object. There are some issues in this world that are gray areas when it comes to sin. There are others that are black and white and there is no room for compromise.

I do not think it should be legal. It's possible it would open the door to being able to sell your body for anything if it were ever legalized. I think if it were to happen we would be putting many people in what could be potential danger. I think the world goes round just fine without it being legal.

It's wonderful to help those that are down, like you say. The mentally ill, the jobless, those who are addicted to drugs, etc. It's just not wonderful to enable the prostitutes she deals with daily to CONTINUE to live in their sin by helping them. If they were denied care UNLESS they stopped their sinful lifestyle, they just might turn from it.

LMAO So now I am enabling prostitutes by providing medical care to them? Are you being serious? So, maybe we should refuse to treat trauma patients who come through the door that weren't wearing a seat belt in a car accident. After all, they brought it on themselves.

If we follow your line of logic, that's a very slippery slope. Refusing medical care to people because someone deems their actions immoral? Think about that, really? That would mean no care for drug addicts, fat people, adulterers, prostitutes, gamblers, people who gossip about others, etc. Who would be the one to judge who should receive treatment? YOU?

LMAO So now I am enabling prostitutes by providing medical care to them? Are you being serious? So, maybe we should refuse to treat trauma patients who come through the door that weren't wearing a seat belt in a car accident. After all, they brought it on themselves.

If we follow your line of logic, that's a very slippery slope. Refusing medical care to people because someone deems their actions immoral? Think about that, really? That would mean no care for drug addicts, fat people, adulterers, prostitutes, gamblers, people who gossip about others, etc. Who would be the one to judge who should receive treatment? YOU?

Who said to deny them medical care? Not me. You ADD an awful lot to what I say. Do you always do that? I want everyone to have medical care. I just don't want to pay for it. Prostitutes usually get sexual diseases and because they are in a profession that is illegal, they work under the table and don't have employers who provide medical insurance. They go to clinics to get care and expect everyone else who is working legitimately to fork the bill for their STDs. That's what I'm talking about.

I went back and reread what I wrote here. I didn't mean to say that, and I can see now where you got the idea that I want to deny health care to prostitutes. I would like to change the last sentence to:

If they were denied care for STDs and Aids treatment unless they paid for it out of their own pockets, then they just might turn from prostitution.

LOL! And exactly HOW would they pay for it out of their own pockets?! I used to be poor and I lived in a very bad part of town. I knew a lot of prostitutes. My aunt was one. From what I have seen, most prostitutes (not all) are drug addicts and they are prostituting to make money for drugs. So prostitution doesn't have the easy answer of just making them get other jobs. Most of these women (again, not all) have mental problems, were sexually and physically abused, are drug addicts, etc. So the problem is much deeper. So according to patty, we should just make them pay for their medical care out of their own pocket?! ROFL!!!!

Oh yea, since I'm guessing that most of us on here have (or had) the sin of being fat, I guess if we fall on hard times, lose our jobs and our houses, I guess we should all be turned away from the food banks because we are all too fat. Afterall, we can live for a little while on all the fat we have stored....

Oh yea, since I'm guessing that most of us on here have (or had) the sin of being fat, I guess if we fall on hard times, lose our jobs and our houses, I guess we should all be turned away from the food banks because we are all too fat. Afterall, we can live for a little while on all the fat we have stored....

Nonono.... being fat... that's different. Being a prostitute is WAYYYY bad!