Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Area Bandsters

Thanks for the info Lapbandy !!! That would probably explain the returned mail. So you all might want to wait until after the 10th before trying to contact him again.

I didn't do any Protein shakes and I have read on other boards that they can cause gas etc for some people, sounds like you are one of the unlucky ones in that department.

The clinic I went to had us on 'full liquids' right after surgery and we were to follow that for the first 2 weeks. Full liquids was anything that would 'pass thru a straw' and it had to be strained or blended smooth....no chunkies !!! (Keep in mind the 'straw' part is just a phrase...don't use straws !! They are known to cause more gas!!!) So on full liquids I could have any smooth Soups, broths or creamy....jello, puddings, strained smoothies, yogurt (with NO fruit chunks). It was also stressed during this part that I could eat (drink) as much as I wanted as long as I stayed within the 'texture' guidelines. The focus was on healing, not weight loss, altho I lost a good chunk during the first month.

You should start feeling a little better every day....give yourself time to heal and be gentle with yourself.

Patricia

I am new to this site and was wondering where and when the next support group meeting is for the Vancouver area? I have not had surgery yet. Just in research mode. Thanks.

Hi ssvancouver :laugh:

I did reply to your personal note about the next meeting....but for everyone's info...

The next North Vancouver meeting will be held Nov. 19th at Lions Gate Hospital in conference room A. As always I will be there by about 6.30 so feel free to arrive early.

A repeat note as well... Geri is going to try to have a meeting again as well. Her meeting will be on Saturday Nov. 15th at 11am. I believe it's at her home which is 3339 W41st Ave, Vancouver. The last note I recieved from her said that because it covers the lunch hour, please bring a band-friendly food to share (pot-luck-y I assume).

Have a great day everyone !!!

Patricia

I am having alot of back pain near shoulder blades. How long will this last? It feels when I eat food, that my stomach gets bloated and I can see it move. Tomorrow is one week post op. I still need tylenol for pain. Is this normal?

The high back and shoulder pain is usually cause by the bas they use to 'inflate' your stomach during surgery. The surgeon tries to remove it all befofe they close you up but usually there is a little left. It can also be caused because during surgery they push your diaphragm out of the way and the path of nerves from the diaphragm goes up and into the shoulder area.

I had some of this pain for the first week or so and found that the meds didn't really help it, my best remedy was a heating pad. I would either recline back against it or hold it high up on the front of my shoulder/chest....depending on where it was aching.

I never really got bloated after surgery so I don't have much to suggest in this area. Would something like Pepto (I've never taken any of this stuff so I'm not sure which helps bloating!!!) possibly help?

Keep us updated on how you're feeling !!! 1 more thing....we are all different and heal differently, so I can't say what's 'normal' or not, but you just paid your surgeon good money to look after you. If you have concerns or issues do NOT hesitate to call his office !!!

Patricia

I am scheduled to by banded two weeks from today on Nov. 26 by Dr. Ortiz at the OCC in Mexico. I'm having a hard time feeling like this is actually going to happen, mainly because the pre-op diet has been an emotional roller coaster. My body went into starvation and didn't lose any weight for a few days. After I stopped exercising, I started to drop some of the weight my body was holding. But now I've gone into another plateau (haven't lost anything since Monday), and am fearful about whether I'll achieve the remaining 5.5 pound weight loss I need to achieve in two weeks. So it's been hard to really sit back and believe that this is going to happen, and therefore prepare myself mentally for this significant life change. I haven't even bought my airplane tickets yet because of not knowing whether I'll get to my pre-op weight loss goal in time. But all I can do is keep pushing on.

Graphic female stuff is to follow, so guys continue reading at your own risk :)

A few days after I started the pre-op diet (two Protein shakes and a lean cuisine, with green vegetables allowed for hunger), my period came ten days early, on Halloween. It lasted the usual amount of time (4-5 days), and was over (or so I thought). Then, a few days ago, I started getting rust-coloured discharge, which I normally get at the very beginning or at the very end of my period. This ironically started on the day that I was originally supposed to get my period for this cycle. This has continued for a few days now, and seems almost like a mini-period. It's very unusual for me to get periods early (if anything, it's late) and to have two within a 10-14 day period is really weird. I'm not even sure whether this new thing is even a period or if it's a continuation of the earlier period. I'm wondering if that might have something to do with my lack of weight loss these past few days (Water retention?). I know this is because of my body losing larger amounts of weight than it is used to, so I'm not overly concerned, but I'm curious whether any of you have experienced changes or weirdness in your menstrual cycle since the band, or even beforehand.

Sorry for the long post, but it really helps to be able to hear other people's experiences (and some of this will be cross-posted on other parts of the forum).

-Van

Oh and another thing, yesterday I changed my brand of shakes, because I was worried about my Protein intake. Up until yesterday, I was drinking a 'high protein' 225 calorie Meal Replacement drink, which had various Vitamins and minerals and 12g of Protein. It was the London Drugs brand and was quite tasty - exactly like chocolate milk!. But because I wanted to increase my protein intake, I bought this more expensive drink at Superstore called Pure Pro, which is 170 calories, no vitamines or minerals, has 35g of protein, and contains skim milk (and therefore calcium). It was yuck! Plus, I don't think my stomach likes it very much (felt gassy and unwell today).

Does anyone have any recommendations of a high-Protein Drink that is not gag-inducing?

Try carnation instant Breakfast, I saw it on a list. I bought the premixed stuff which is gross. I have used the powder in the past and mixed with milk which I like. i didn't do a preop diet as it wasnt required.

Yes, there are times when you need the surgeon to review what is happening to you. Not everyone requires this, but I had to fly back to Toronto because my port flipped. They were unable to fill or defill through my port. Dr. Yau operated and corrected the port. There are other occasions as well such as band erosion (which is rare). If you have the money to fly/drive back to your surgeon no problem, but the currant financial mess may affect your financial standing. Then what do you do? A questiom to ask, if saving a few thousand going south is for you. I am not saying it isn't, just encouraging research into whether the saving is a prudent saving.

Hi Doddie

I think my port has flipped, because I can really feel it, It has moved from where the surgeon (Dr. Corvala, Mexico) said it was. There are twinges of pain around the port area. My family doctor is sending me for an ultrasound.... What did your flipped port feel like?

Oh and another thing, yesterday I changed my brand of shakes, because I was worried about my Protein intake. Up until yesterday, I was drinking a 'high protein' 225 calorie Meal Replacement drink, which had various Vitamins and minerals and 12g of Protein. It was the London Drugs brand and was quite tasty - exactly like chocolate milk!. But because I wanted to increase my protein intake, I bought this more expensive drink at Superstore called Pure Pro, which is 170 calories, no vitamines or minerals, has 35g of protein, and contains skim milk (and therefore calcium). It was yuck! Plus, I don't think my stomach likes it very much (felt gassy and unwell today).

Does anyone have any recommendations of a high-protein drink that is not gag-inducing?

Try Genisoy soy Protein shake..really good I have the strawberry banana, bought it at save on foods in their health food section. Good Luck!

I am having alot of back pain near shoulder blades. How long will this last? It feels when I eat food, that my stomach gets bloated and I can see it move. Tomorrow is one week post op. I still need tylenol for pain. Is this normal?

I had exactly the same symptoms... I felt pain into my second & third week, lots of belly bloating, eventually it all passes. I have been banded 5 weeks now. I still have slight tenderness around the port, but I have a toddler that needs constant attention and was picking him up way before I should have. The more you rest the better you will feel. Let yourself heal - trust me.

MJay

Thanks for the advice MJay. I will give that a try. These Pure Pro drinks are just disgusting! I have to gulp it down really fast in order not to taste it, and my stomach doesn't seem to agree with it either.

Regarding your port problems, have you tried to contact Dr. Arseneau at St. Paul's Hospital? He is now seeing people for fills, and just needs a referral from your doctor. He was away until the 10th, but replied promptly to my email when he got back. To my knowledge, I don't think he discriminates whether you had your surgery in Mexico or wherever. If you email him for an appointment, you might be able to get in within a week:

richarda@interchange.ubc.ca.

I too am about to have my surgery in Mexico, and I'm well aware of the risks, particularly for aftercare. I am in no position to give advice, having not yet had the surgery yet, but I'm wondering if you are able to contact your surgeon directly to tell him/her what is going on and get some advice. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out fine.

-Vangirl

Hi Doddie

I think my port has flipped, because I can really feel it, It has moved from where the surgeon (Dr. Corvala, Mexico) said it was. There are twinges of pain around the port area. My family doctor is sending me for an ultrasound.... What did your flipped port feel like?

Hi MJay, I missed the last sentence. Obviously you are on top of this, and good luck! I hope everything turns out fine.

Hi Doddie

Hi: I did not feel that the port had flipped. I found out when the fill doctor (a band surgeon himself) could not get the fill in. He used 3 needles and twenty minutes of poking and twisting the needle looking for the port. After flying back to Toronto, Nancy too two needles and 4 tries but did not think the port had flipped. I then went to my surgeon in Vancouver again and he could not get any fill in after 20 minutes. He told me the port was partially flipped. Well I was not about to suffer such pain so asked Dr. Yau to fix it. He did by moving the port down a bit and I haven't had any problems since. :Dancing_sorry:

Hi Everyone !!! :(

Just me posting to remind everyone that tomorrow (Weds. Nov. 19th) night is the North Vancouver support meeting. As always we will meet in Conf. room A at Lions Gate Hospital.

Anyone that would like to join us is more than welcome, whether you are already banded or are looking for info. Please feel free to bring along any family or support people that may have questions as well !!!

Have a great day and I'll see you all tomorrow !!!

Patricia