Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Area Bandsters

Well, I do know all that stuff, eating Protein, etc. etc. I am doing that, I eat right, but maybe still a bit too much which makes me think that I do need another fill. Well, I have made an appointment for another fill and I hope that this will do the trick then. As I said before my husband can eat much less than me, so I think it is a matter of fills. I also have not much respects for Nutritionists as there expert opinion about food and what people need is very different than the advise I get from Dr. Leung, however, don't get me wrong, I think Dr. Leung is right for sure - we really don't need much food as we have enough fat to recycle, those are his words, ha,ha. He does not belive in Protein shakes and other stuff people come up with and I totally agree.

Anyhow, it is always hard and difficult as right now it is also the season when people want to eat more..........

cheers,

Gerdi

Yes it is very hard but even more so when someone you are living with is reaching their goal faster than you. I know how that hurts even if you know you shouldn't let it.

As for more fill because you are eating a bit too much, more fill may be the answer but then maybel less would be the answer. For instance, if the food can't go down to the stomach too quickly the pouch will stretch and allow you to eat more. Some times a smaller fill allows the food to go down a bit quicker, but you get the full feeling sooner as the "unstretched" pouch signals you sooner.

Have you tried the five day challenge (I think that is what it is called). You basically go back to the Protein Drink and progress into whole foods over time. This allows the pouch to shrink back.

Anyway, if any of these suggestions strike a chord and help you, I would be pleased, but hopefully Dr. Leung with be more helpfull. Take care and good luck

My surgery date is 4 days away-Nov 5 with Dr. W. I have been researching WLS since May and finally have a date. I am so excited to get this started. Does anyone have any suggestions on Protein Shakes and where to buy. My menu guide lists Isopure or Isopro Protein Drinks. Where can I buy these and what other brands did you use. I met some of you as I attended one meeting at North Van in the summer with my mother. I am 30 years old and have twins. I want to prevent diabetes and get healthy. Wish me luck.

Hi!

It's Sabrina. I met some of you at the last Lions Gate hospital meeting. I decided to go with Dr. Ortiz and will be having my surgery Dec 2nd!!! I'm wondering when the next meeting at Lions Gate is? I want to make sure I surround myself with lots of outside support since I don't have much at home. I'm willing to travel to other cities in the lower mainland as well if you know of any meetings. Is there a list?

mom2two - congratulations on your life saving decision. Your twins will reap the benefits that is for sure. Protein Drink can be purchased at most drugstores or superstore, etc. The trick is to find one you like. Some leave a terrible after taste. You can gussy them up with fruit to change the flavor. Contact Linda and ask her where to purchase Isopro or search it out on the web. I use a Protein drink I purchase from the TLBC and is available only to the medical profession. It is called BariatrXEssentials by Metagenics. I love the vanilla taste (they have other flavors). Others I am sure will give you some other brands that they like. Some don't use it at all, but make their own milkshakes blending all sorts of things such a veggies, etc.

One other thought, have you gone to the pharmacist and enquired about your meds being liquid or can they be crushed or diluted in Water or juice?

Hi!

It's Sabrina. I met some of you at the last Lions Gate hospital meeting. I decided to go with Dr. Ortiz and will be having my surgery Dec 2nd!!! I'm wondering when the next meeting at Lions Gate is? I want to make sure I surround myself with lots of outside support since I don't have much at home. I'm willing to travel to other cities in the lower mainland as well if you know of any meetings. Is there a list?

Congratulations on your decision. We meet at Lions Gate every third Wednesday of the month. There is someone that is starting a group that will meet on 41st somewhere. If you are interested, contact Canadagirl33@hotmail.com she knows of such a person.

Hi!

Congratulations Sabrina! I decided to go with Dr. Ortiz as well, and my planned surgery date is for November 25. It's slightly tentative in that I need to meet my pre-op weight loss goal in order to have my surgery on that date, but I'm hoping that it will be reached. I'm know we met at the Lions Gate meeting, but I'm really bad with names, so probably will know you by face if we meet again at the next meeting.

Definitely it's important to surround yourself with support and positive energy going into this. I find personally that if I talk to people who are apprehensive, cautionary, and/or nonsupportive, it puts me in the wrong place mentally. Conversely, it helps me when others are positive, hopeful, encouraging, and keep me reminded of all the potential benefits I will experience long-term from this. I'm sure we have all considered all the pros and cons of what we are about to do and are making an educated choice to do something important in our lives. Anyway, congrats, and look forward to seeing you at the next meet!

Vangirl

vangirl. there is no question that upbeat support is far more important than the negatives, cautionary, etc. I too prefer that.

Having made that comment however, when individuals are starting out to do their research they have to know all the ins and outs. Although rare, there have been some individuals that have had bad experiences. In my mind one has to know about those as well to make an informed decision. The band has one wonderful thing going for it and that is it is reversible and most all problems are fixable. Too me that was the selling point but I still needed to know that some individuals have had the band removed because they could not live with it, etc. When I had the band I thought I had all the information I needed. Unfortunately I did not. I did not put enough effort into the aftercare. As a result, I try to bring the importance of aftercare to the attention of the researching person. Hopefully my caution will be of assistance.

mom4two, congrats on your decision. i've also decided to get the surgery done, but haven't picked a surgeon yet. i'm curious, how long ago did you have your consultation? when I called Dr. W's office they said there was a 3-6mth wait for surgery.

Wow !!!! Look at all our soon-to-be Vancouver Bandsters !!! :blush:

Mom2two...I don't think I met you at the meeting !! There was 1 I missed in the summer because of car troubles so that was probably the meeting you were at. Sorry to have missed you and hopefully you'll join us again soon. Congrats on your surgery day !!! I've never personally met Dr. W but from talking to the ones at group meetings, I'm sure you'll be in very capable hands. I'm looking forward to hearing how things go for you...

I didn't do any Protein shakes at all...the clinic I went to doesn't suggest we do them, they feel we can get enough Protein, even while on liquids...and because it's such a short duration, there really is no harm if we don't get huge amounts....so I'm of no help on the drinks.

I'm so terrible with names its embarassing !!! Sabrina? Are you the one that had been saving up and was thinking about Dr. K in Colorado? (I'm almost positive I have the right you !!!) I'm glad you decided to move forward with this and that you're seeing Dr. Ortiz. I don't think you'll regret your decision at all....neither with banding or the surgeon. You're timing is good as well....you'll be thru most of it and back into the swing of things for the holiday season. Hopefully you'll make it to the next meeting (Nov. 19th - Lions Gate) and we can answer any last minute questions you might have. Remind me at the meeting and I'll give you my phone # if you want, then if you need to talk about anything before you leave you can give me a call.

~Sigh~ All these monikers drive me crazy !!!! Vangirl ....I'm not sure if I know who you are !!! Altho I'm assuming I met you at the last meeting as well. I swear I need to make a list of names and nicknames and all this stuff !!! I'm so darn blonde some days !!! Congrats on your tentative date. If you are in the right frame of mind and work hard I have no doubt you'll make your pre-op weight goal....so go for it !!!!

The other meeting that Doddie mentioned is being organized by a lady named Geri. She tried having the first meeting last month and didn't have anyone show up. Getting these meetings off the ground is a lot of work and take a ton of patience and perseverance....I don't know how many months we had our meetings at Lion's Gate with just 3 of us !!! So Geri is going to try again and her meeting will be on Saturday Nov. 15th at 11am. I believe it's at her home which is 3339 W41st Ave, Vancouver. I dont personally know this lady so I can't offer any other comments....

Enough babble from me for tonite....I'm missing the hockey game !!!

Again, Congrats to you all and I look forward to seeing you all again soon !!!!!

Patricia

Edited by canadagirl33
Spelling !!!!

LOL..... no fireworks !! At least not before I ran out the door so that I wouldn't get stuck behind that darned road closure !!! ~Sigh~ It will be so nice when I don't have to worry about it anymore....

As far as Dr. Arseeau....I'm honestly not sure if you need a referal. I recieved a letter from NWWLS 2 weeks ago (snail-mail no less !!!) with all his info on it and all it stressed was that he likes the first contact to be done by email. I think you should just shoot him off a mail and see what happens. richarda@interchange.ubc.ca

As far as the meeting....sorry you couldnt make it, but we had a few newbies !!! Was a lot of fun, especially letting them all grope my port !! :( I'm glad you ladies decided to join us, I really enjoyed meeting you all !!!

Anyhow.....it's almost Survivor time !! Yup, I'm an addict !!! Have a great nite everyone.

Patricia

Hi Patricia!

I tried contacting this doctor and the email bounced back. Do you have another email or phone number for him?

Sabrina:)

Hi Sabrina !!!

I don't have another email addy for Dr Arseneau so you might want to try that again. Ya never know, maybe if he's been away or something and his mail is full it sends them back....I dunno !!!

I do have his phone # on this mail I recieved as well...

604-682-2344 ext. 62554 Maybe give that a try as well.

A big CONGRATS to mom2two !!! Welcome to the land of the Banded !!! :rolleyes2: Hope everything went well for you and that you're feeling better everyday. Don't forget to get in your liquids (I got dehydrated after 3 days and felt like poop!!!) and walk lots...it helps more than you realize !!!

All the best,

Patricia

This is day 5 post op. I had more pain and hunger than expected. I was constipated for the first 2 days, now I had my first Protein Shake and got diarrhea. Now my stomach is bloated and yucky. There are so many different opinions on when to start full liquids and puree foods. What did you eat afterwards? What do you consider full liquids?