Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mississippi Bandsters!

Howdy! I was also banded in Oxford, MS by Dr. Micheal King and was self-pay. I chose to take money out of my 401K to pay for my surgery instead of financing it so I can't help with any info on that! Medical expenses is one of the 3 allowable things that you can make an early withdrawal from your 401K so I considered it an investment in my health and retirement! Good luck!

Mary

For those of you who used Dr. Byars, what is his pre and post op diets? Dr. King's is 2 weeks pre-op Clear Liquids (w/ SlimFast Optima 3x day) and 2 weeks post-op clear liquids, minus the slimfasts. I'm no doctor, but to me, that is very extreme. A month of no nourishment? I know we can't be eating whatever we want but the body requires fuel.

Dr. King is who I plan to use but I'd consider using Dr. Byars if his is not so extreme. That is, if that's allowable.

ETA: I know for a few/several days after, most don't even have an appetite so this may not be an issue. But there is little to no nourishment in clear liquids (broth, Water, sf Jello, sf popsicles). I would think skim milk and maybe thin Soups would be better than nothing. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

Edited by Dia

I actually had no trouble following the pre-op and post-op diet as prescribed by Dr. King. The protein/vitamins in the slim fast as well as the multi-vitamins were all I needed. I think (for me anyway) that it was really important to "get my body used to" consuming such a small amount and a great preparation for post-op eating. I basically lived on sugar-free banana popsicles post-op! I had absolutely no appetite! I know that every doctor has different requirements and some don't even require a pre-op diet at all and a very short/limited post-op diet. The way I looked at it was that Dr. King had a reason for ordering his particular diet and by selecting him to do my surgery I was placing my trust in him and therefor had to trust his reasoning for the diet guidelines. The extra weight loss from the 2 week pre-op diet was an added benefit for me also! Good luck with your upcoming surgery! For me it was a wonderful gift!

Mary

Dr. Byars did my surgery and he does a 2 week pre-op liquid diet and a 2 week post-op diet. I was banded on 3/6/08. However, I began to experience nausea all day after the first week post-op. My body was extremely hungry. He advised me to go ahead and try some mushies. I couldn't make it 2 weeks with nausea and hunger pain all day. oatmeal, cream of wheat, creamed Soups were some of the things he recommended. I also had some baked tilapia cooked very soft. I felt so much better once I had something to eat. He also said that the Slim-Fast (Optima) after 3 days, may also cause nausea. So be careful with this also if you experience nausea.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a surgeon near Jackson and the self-pay cost of getting banded. I've heard good things about Dr. Carroll. Has anyone used him and what is the cost?

Hi I'm in Southaven. Was looking in the direction of Oxford to get banded (Dr. King) but I am self-pay. Becky called me from that office and said the price is $14,500, which I thought was great. But then she said most people have to go to the hospital to have a fill while they are still large. She said a fill at the hospital will run me around $700 per fill. Even she sounded very discouraged when she said it. She said it used to be cheaper, around $300 for a fill, but the price has gone up. :tongue_smilie: Being self-pay, there's no way I could afford $700 for a fill every six weeks.

So now I'm going with Dr.Woodman in Memphis. His overall cost is a little higher ($15,000-$17,000 range) but the first year of fills is covered. I have my first office appointment with his office next week. I am very excited and can't wait to get this ball rolling! :blink:

Hi Don here.,

I just asked you how it came about you might be banded in TN on the other MS thread!! Now I see your answer here. So that answered my question even before you read my question.

Good luck, Don

Dr. Woodman is my doctor too. I am going to one of his Kelly's Kitchen's meetings today at the seminar room at the hospital. Have you gone to one yet?

I went to the regular support group meeting last night, but couldn't do the Kelly's Kitchen since it's during the day. I'm a stay at home mom and I babysit 3 kids, and I'm just not brave enough to haul 4 kids ages 4 and under to the meeting. I have heard that they might start doing some Kelly's Kitchen at night and/or on Saturdays this summer. So I hope to make those. :smile:

I heard that today's Kelly's Kitchen was about fastfood? Any good info? :lol:

Hi I am from Silver Creek Mississippi. Its futher south than most of you all, but anyway... I was banded on Feb. 5th in Mexico by Dr. Alberto Aceves. He was wonderful. My cost was 7800.00 and I was self pay. As far as fills I use a lady from Tupelo and she charges 100.00 per fill with no fluro. But she is really good I like her alot. I have lost 42 pounds since surgery and I am thrilled. I started my journey at 340 and it kinda sucks to be so big that noone even notices a 40 pound weight loss.. but oh well maybe in another 40 pounds they will..lol.

I am so glad to find other people from Mississippi with the band. I love coming to the site and reading posts from all around.

Hope all is well with everyone. Have a good week.

Kelly brought food from salad's and sandwiches. The salads were from Wendy's, grilled chicken, but I can't eat lettuce without it sticking so none for me. The sandwiches were from just about everywhere except Sonic. She said there is NO low fat food at Sonic! With sandwiches the tip was stay away from mayo and the like. Ketsup and mustard only with lettuce and Tomato. Of course I can't eat the bread so my "sandwich" was just the insides! She also brought a baked potato and chili from Wendy's. She poured the chili over the baked potato in lieu of butter or sour cream. It was interesting. I think I can grow to like that!

Her next meeting will definitely be on Saturday from noon to 1:00, but you'll need to stay turned on the website for when.

Hey all...

thought I would check in with everyone...I have recently moved to Jackson, MS... but I was Banded In Brunswick GA on May 31, 2005...so nearly 3 years...I love my band...though right now I feel I need a kick in the pants...I haven't gained any weight (other than the up 2-3 down 2-3) I have lost just over 100 lbs...but I still want to lose some more...I'm not really concerned about the "number" ...i amn more focused on the size...(no one see's my scale but me anyway....lol)

I am so grateful for my band...It has given me the oportunity to live again...not just exist...I have bee rewarded with 2 new granddaughters (17 days apart)...and I love it...they are Grammies Heartbeat...

I would love to build some relationships with others in the MS area...(and maybe actually get to meet some of you someday)..

Blessings, Debbi

Hi Debbi,

Can you tell me about the long term effects of the band? Is it easy to keep the weight off? Do you still have a fill in it? Is it still tight? I just wondered how it will be once my weight is normal. I have 30 more pounds to go before entering the normal range.

Thanks!

Cindy