Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you tell others about surgery?

Straight Bend, you have a great points. Most people tend to self protect in some way. Hopefully not by telling untruths, but if some become transparent at a slower rate than others while working their bands in the end we all have victory in a safe unforced place. I see both sides telling and not telling, both sides are very personal responses to a part of this weightloss journey.

I just wanted to say that I think your user name is awesome.....I feel the same way....

Kimberl- I think the hardest part about the band is the pain the first week, then learning your new stomach and new amounts you can eat. I also had to deal with not using food as a crutch anymore. It also sucks when you are eating something yummy and it just doesn't go down right...then you have some discomfort and don't feel like eating anymore. Finally, the hardest part is being patient. I went for months sometimes without loosing a pound (exercising too). I think some people's bodies try to hold on to the fat at all costs so it can move very slow. You still have to work at it.

you said that at times you went for a month without losing.... did you have to go for an adjustment to remedy it? how often did you or do you have to have fills etc??? thanks...talk to you later :0)

I did not know that if you have a long stall in your weight loss it is usually time to get a fill. I have since learned that but it is normal to go through some no weight loss periods. Eventually, you get tight enough that you know you cannot tolerate another fill. Then all you have left is to pick healthier choices in what you eat as well as exercising.

I had been ashamed of my weight for most of my life, so at first I wasn't sure I wanted to tell anyone but my husband. But, I'm also fairly self-assured in other ways and I figured if I told people it would keep me honest about my eating plan (since I figure this is my last chance to get healthy). I have quietly told people when they comment about my weight loss, but haven't made a big deal of it. Now, almost everybody knows since word gets around. I KNOW I did the best thing for me, so I couldn't care less what other people think or have to say.

I told my then 17 year old daughter 1-2 months before. She was worried but supportive. Told close friends and co-workers the night before. All were so happy for me and encouraging. I knew then that they knew what I had always know that I was fat and needed to get my weight and health under control but were kind to NEVER say anything. Told rest of family months later as the lbs come off. Good luck!

Still not banded, and still not telling too many. I do find however, that when I have shared (with my closest friends) that they have a story of someone they know who has done great with the lap band. It is a great possitive reaffirmation that this process works and I'm getting closer to being banded and can't wait. My decision is still not to share with many and just wait until it becomes an issue to make a full disclosure.

I think it stems from feelings that I am a failure and couldn't lose weight on my own. I"m at the point that I now want to be healthy and have decided on this step to help me achieve that.

I have to say to anyone out there that thinks the band is the easy way out nothing could be farther from the truth! You go through a lot and you still have to work at it. It definately brought up those failure issues and feelings you were just talking about for me because the band weight loss was so slow that for a long time it did not seem like it would work for me. I had all those shameful feelings at failing at yet one more "diet" but as time went by the puonds slowly came off. I have never regretted my decision to get the band for for those people that act l;ike you took the easy way out...tell them if it is so darn easy them let them have a go at it!

Yeah, you definitely are at the right point, it is all about me getting healthy too, and I havent to many at all, just very close folks 3 only and my immediate fam ... I didnt want to defend anything.

I've been very selective about who I've told. I've only told a handful of family, friends, and co-workers. It's not that I'm embarassed about it. I'm not. I'm actually very proud of myself for getting a tool to help me. But, I am a very private person. I don't like a lot of attention when it comes to my weight, and I simply didn't want to be the topic of conversation. I also didn't want to feel like people were watching over every move that I made.

For those people that I did tell, I told them one-on-one. I explained to them that I had come to the realization that I needed a tool to help me on my weight loss journey, and that after a tremendous amount of research and prayer, that I had made the decision to get the band. I explained the risks to those that I could tell were concerned about surgery. I let them know the path I had gone down. I let them know that I was being very selective about who I told. I asked them to honor that and not share it with anyone. Many people asked what they could do to support me, and I told them what I needed from them and what that would look like in my eyes.

I'm very happy with how I've handled it. It was the right call for me. After all, we're all different! So, do what's right for you!

When people approach me who also struggle with their weight and genuinely want to lose weight, I'm being very upfront with them about my journey.

I feel exactly the same way, as I read your post I felt like i could have written it myself.........

I'm currently awaiting insurance approval. I should know by Monday **Fingers crossed** I have told my mom, grandma, and a few close friends. I only have one friend that doesn't really agree with it......I think mainly cuz her sister lost about 150lbs on her own (which is wonderful of course) but not everyone has the same situation. She supports me because we are very good friends for 18yrs (since we were 11:scared2:), but she wishes I would do it another way........at least I have her support as a friend even if she doesn't agree..........everyone else has been VERY supportive........my friend Jessica stopped me mid-conversation and bluntly told me "Amanda, you have absolutely NO reason to justify your choice to me, you don't need to justify it to anyone........this is a choice that you have made to make a healthier & happier you and thats all I care about is for you to be happy.......you are my friend and i'm here for whatever you need" it really brought tears to my eyes. I sure hope that I'm banded soon!!!!

We should all ahve good friends like that! Good luck with the approval!

I tell everyone I know.. I am so grateful to be able to have had the lap-band done. And everyone I tell is always happy for me, just knowing how much struggling I have done with my weight threw out the years. I think that telling people is a personal preference, but I feel like I have nothing to hide, and that it is a big step in my life.