Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roll Call...All having a Revision From Band to RNY Come on In

Hello all -

I will be having revision to RNY from band in two weeks. I go for my pre-op on 7/18. I'm full of all types of emotions right now. I'm excited, scared, hopeful and anxious all at once!

I found out a few months back I was having complications with my band (esophogus) and some erosion. My port has also flipped (for the 2nd time). I changed doctors when I moved from Georgia to Florida a year ago. My new doctor told me the band had to go - was causing too many complications and with my GERD issues I should never have had the band to begin with.

I had a consult with with my new doctor, Dr Nye in Pensacola, this past week after discussing RNY. They filed for the insurance last week and I talked to them today and I was told insurance had approved me :-)

So a new journey begins - wasn't the one I thought I'd be taking three years ago. I was banded thinking I'd have it forever and had no idea the problems that I would have nor that I would regain all of the hard lost pounds. I'm looking to this with glass half empty - I know it is going to be hard, perhaps harder than when i was banded. I jus thope the glass fills up in the end...just trying to prepare as much as I can.

I had my band 3 1/2yrs and was revised to RNY in February. I am happy with my decision. I have almost lost in 5 1/2mon with the RNY what I had lost the whole time with the band. Goodluck and keep us posted.

I had the band 8-07..lost almost 60lbs in about 6mon,gained 20 back.Just had revision to RNY 2-22-11. I am having some heartburn,not eating much..any thoughts?

Yes, get on RNYTalk.com and post away, help us get this new community started please smile.gif

I need advice...I had the band done 7 years ago and have been miserable. Can not tolerate any liquid in it. Even completely empty some days I can eat some days I can't. No rythme or reason! I am looking into having it removed and doing the bypass. I am really scared. I finally (running across this site) do not feel like such a faliure/loser as there are alot of people that have had the same problems. I thought I was the only one. Most poeple had the band removed after 2 years I have given it 7. What is life like with the bypass? What is the recovery like? What are the common problems? I have sooo many questions!!!!

I'm so happy to see this thread here. I have been a member of LBT for well over a year and love it here. I had open RNY on Aug 27th. No revision. I serously thought about the band for over a year and then decided RNY was the way to go for me. So far so good. I have my drain removed on Tues. (I'll be happy to see that thing go).

I can't wait to hear everyones stories.

explain to me what the drain is i am schedule for a revision on 10/25/11

Anyone reading this thread please come over to RNYTalk.com...there are some of us there that would love to chat with you. :)

Just getting this forum started :thumbup: If you've had a revision come on in :thumbup:

hi i just had my lapband removed and a revision done 10/25/11.

there is a forum

Can someone tell me a sucess story? I am two years out from the Band... I get stuck.. I have a difficult time eating.. but I have only lost 25 pounds. I am very discouraged to the point of not trying anymore. I was watching so carefully and when it stopped coming off... for months and months... I just started to eat ...

I gained about 7 pounds.... I don't think I am a "band Person"

Has anyone had a similar experience and had a revision that was succesful in weight loss? Or am I just doomed!.... So sad,,, so upset with myself... and so discouraged...

I have never felt the "stop hunger" feeling they told me I would have.... its is hell.

has anyone who is considering a revision gained weight with the lapband and then lost again. I went to the dr today and found out that back in 2010 when band adjusting dr/intern said I had 8.5cc in a 11cc band, they were wrong. Come to find out that I only had 6cc. They were not putting the fill in the port. I had lost 44 lbs and gained 20 back and now I am trying to get back on track. I stay 5hours away from bariatric center that did my surgery. I am very disappointed and frustrated that all that driving and traveling expenses = no fill. I am currently thinking of revising to the GB. I had my original surgery on 6/16/2009. Please give me advise!!!

I actually gained weight with the band. When I had the revision I had to have my band empty for 3-4 months pre op. So it was emptied in August, hoping for a fall surgery.... My revision was a year ago tomorrow, and I gained from 240 to 260 in those months. I'm at 183 this morning. I love my bypass. Life is so much more "normal". Other than the handful of Vitamins that make me sick each day. UGH! I found it to be the Calcium that's making me sick. To important to not take.

if you have questions send me a pm. I'll answer you with honesty.

I have to do a counseling session (shrink appt) on Monday and meet with the bariatric dr on Wednesday. After these appt they will inform me of the decision of revision! Did anyone else have to do this?

I have to do a counseling session (shrink appt) on Monday and meet with the bariatric dr on Wednesday. After these appt they will inform me of the decision of revision! Did anyone else have to do this?

I had to go through all the pre ops of my band.... counselling, EGD, dietician, everything! Thankfully all but the EGD were quick and easy. However 3 months after my bypass I had another EGD and they nearly killed me. I had a toxic reaction to the numbing stuff. They gave me this blue dye and fixed it, but if they hadn't been on top of things I would have died.

that said> I'm now a year post op. AND loving life with my bypass and size 12 butt :) I had my 1 yr check up, and got a lecture about my Vitamins. I told them honestly they're what is causing my nausea, and that's not acceptable (Not normal by the way). So they're testing a few things, and I will get B12 shots. I've been put on a special Iron supplement (less likely to cause nausea), and have to suck it up with Calcium. But I'm down 83 pounds. And that's with less movement than I had with the band. I screwed up my knee running in June. I see an orthopedic surgeon Monday morning. Time will tell what's next for my knee then. But I have a referral for the plastic surgeon that works with my bariatric team for the 31st. They're looking at doing a panniculectomy removing that roll of skin in the bottom. That's the worst I have. I'd love to win the lotto and get the bat wings taken care of, and the extra on my thighs and calves but it isn't likely to happen. But I get yeast infections in my belly button from the binders I wear to keep it from bouncing around.

The other thing that has changed for me, as a dumper I can't eat much of something sweet or carby. But when I do, I don't get hit as hard as I used to. That kindda sucks. But I still dump, My heart races. I get sweaty. I get nauseated. And later, sometimes a day or two later, I'll sometimes get diarrhea. Not always.

Another thing that is kind of funny... my ring sizes have changed. I expected that some. But my shoes went from a 7.5 wide width to a 6.5 normal. WEIRD!!!!

well time to get the boys ready for bed.

Teri

The only thing I had to redo was my labs and EKG. However my EKG was abnormal so they did a echo and treadmill. Then they found a spot on my breast and I had to do a mammogram. But all came out fine. So I had surg. May 20th 2011, they removed my band and did bypass at the same time. I was 235 now as of this morning I am 145. And in a size nine. My sixteen year olds size! The only exercise i have done has been walking and it is not like power works or anything and i will say I am very bad at taking my vitiuimins. But my labs are great my pulse rate stay in the low 60 upper 50's my bp is great. I can eat anything! I have had a bit of a Reese and it cause my pulse to go up to about 83 and my tummy hurt for about thirty mins. But then I have had a few m and m and be fine and sweat tea I still drink that along with my Water and have not had dumping. It's just Reese. I don't eat alot of anything and red meat grosses me out but I a a very picky eater anyways. But I love I did this and wish I would have had this surg in the beginning. Oh and I had surg went home the next day and only took my pain the night I got home. Oh I have had dizziness after getting up and forgetting to eat. But the night before we had a real early dinner and that was a long time to go with out food. I drank so tea felt find after. My dr said it could have been my sugar drop to low and just to make sure I don't go more than is to eight waking hour without food. Wishing everyone the best!

That sucks you had to get so much before your RNY. But they just wanted you to be healthy enough to live through it:)