Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roll Call...All having a Revision From Band to RNY Come on In

I have a question...I am 3 yrs out from getting my band. I have lost 60lbs and now gained 16 back. I just went to talk with my Dr today about doing a revision to Gastric Bypass. Has anyone with Medicare had a revision?

I have medicare, and have looked into it, nO problem as long as you meet the original criteria. I do, as I've only lost 20 pounds since SURGERY.

teri

Thanks for your response. Terry have you been revised to GB? I am hoping to be able to get this done.I have a LONG way to go in my weightloss.I do believe I still meet the original criteria for bariatric surgery. So hopefully the insurance gal at my Dr's office can find out what she needs so we can get this scheduled.

Not yet, but hope to in septemmber. My surgeon says it's completely possible.

Teri

I wouldn't say my removal and then revision was only done because I didn't lose weight but it was a major cause of it. I was able to have it removed due to GERD and my insurance covered it but I also had a year of not losing weight and actually put on some pounds. I do think I eventually would have had it removed even if there was no GERD involved just because I kept up my visits with my surgeon and he knew my struggles with my weight. Good luck to you, Nancy.

Anyone had Medicare pay for lapband to Bypass revision, if so how long ago did you do this an what state? Thanks, I am hoping to get this done. Waiting for response from Insurance person at my Dr's office. PLEASE PM me, I dont always get responses thru here.

I am in the process. Medicare's only restrictions (here in ny anyway) are that you still meet original surgical conditions... BMI over 35 with one co-morbidity, or over 40. I'm still over 40, and i have multiple co-moribidities, so am going thru the process. My surgical center requires you to have finished 2 yrs with the band.

Teri

I've had my band 9 months and I've lost about 30 pounds (that I've kept off anyways, at one point I had lost about 40). I've had a LOT of trouble finding my "green zone" and am losing faith. Some days I can eat anything I want, others I can't even drink Water. I just saw my surgeon today and had a little out, but now I'm wondering if the band is ever going to work for me. I'm considering having it removed and having a RNY, but if I want this, I am better off having it soon due to risk of scar tissue and because I want to have children in the near future. What do you guys think? Are there some people that the band just doesn't work for???

I don't know your financial/insurance situation, but MANY MANY insurances that do cover revision require you wait two yrs. That's what's holding me up, that two year mark... which is september 16. My surgeon's office is working with me, I've got a couple of my appts out of the way.

I've had my band 9 months and I've lost about 30 pounds (that I've kept off anyways, at one point I had lost about 40). I've had a LOT of trouble finding my "green zone" and am losing faith. Some days I can eat anything I want, others I can't even drink Water. I just saw my surgeon today and had a little out, but now I'm wondering if the band is ever going to work for me. I'm considering having it removed and having a RNY, but if I want this, I am better off having it soon due to risk of scar tissue and because I want to have children in the near future. What do you guys think? Are there some people that the band just doesn't work for???

In my opinion, I'd wait a while longer. I had my band placed in march of 07, and we have had a love/hate relationship until recently. I can't put my finger on exactly what changed, my mental attitude towards the band, different attitude, body adjusting to banding? if that's even possible, etc... Whatever the case, I've lost over 40lbs since February. I lost 40lbs from 2007 - 2010 and felt like a complete band failure. I still check this thread out all the time, because I thought for such a long time I would have to have a revision. A few relatives of mine had RNY and did so great with it, but I think I'm actually catching up. You also have to wonder why you think your band is not working for you... Or are you not working with your band. I think all of us getting any kind of weight loss surgery knows that we will have some kind of issue with eating, drinking, etc after surgery, but I also think we just get sick of it. Like, stop... I am so sick of PB'ing... But not wondering why you are PB'ing in the first place. Sometimes it's just an out of the blue thing for me, othertimes, it's my own fault...

Also, not to punish yourself, but keep a food diary. Just to see your intake actually is. If its more than 1600 calories, you're eating to much. Under 800, way to few. Maybe its the food you are eating. Too much of a good thing is still too much... I learned that the hard way. Maybe not enough exercise? Maybe you've given up so there is only ice cream and no exercise. Its ok, I've been there. But just be honest with yourself. You can take some time off from the band. The best thing I ever did was join weight watchers for 1 month. That was all I needed. Learning to eat proper foods, with the proper portions.

Also, getting back to my original BAND rules helped. Slow down while eating, no drinking, limiting liquid cals, Protein first, veggies second, etc... and keep posting on here. There are so many people in you situation...

Just remember, the science of losing weight is sooooo simple. Calories in versus calories out, but it is one long, painful, emotional roller coaster! We're all on the ride together!

I just posted the above and I sound like a raving lune! Apologies!!!

You do not sound like a raving loon, you sound like you've found the fire again. I'm so glad for you.

Teri

I had a surgeon appt 1 week ago today. Dr agrees we should go for GB since I am no longer losing. I have an EGD scheduled for 1st week of Oct. Then later I have an appt with the nutritionist. Have been trying to talk with as many people as I can that have already had GB. Glad there are others out there to draw from on this experience.

I see my surgeon tomorrow. May need an EGD, but have done the psych, and nut. Then I see the other I have to see on the 21st. They may be able to discuss me on the first wednesday of october. Which means, then they'd ask insurance approval, but mine doesn't do prior approvals, so they'd schedule me immediately. Unfortunately there is like a 6 week wait.

teri