Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roll Call...All having a Revision From Band to RNY Come on In

Just an update on me... i was finally revised on 1-11-11, and feel great. I've lost 25 pounds as of this morning. I'm back to doing nearly everything, although I still tire quickly. Some from the surgery, some from the less food/liquids I'm on.

Teri

Just an update on me... i was finally revised on 1-11-11, and feel great. I've lost 25 pounds as of this morning. I'm back to doing nearly everything, although I still tire quickly. Some from the surgery, some from the less food/liquids I'm on.

Teri

Congratulations,,,,,I wish you success!

Remember that most everything you learned with the Lap Band still applies. You need to begin to "retrain" yourself into new eating habits....and begin that right away. The weight will come off pretty quickly and effortlessly, but to maintain the loss, you WILL need to restrict your intake.

Best of luck!

S.

I've had my band 9 months and I've lost about 30 pounds (that I've kept off anyways, at one point I had lost about 40). I've had a LOT of trouble finding my "green zone" and am losing faith. Some days I can eat anything I want, others I can't even drink Water.

Don't look for the band to physically restrict how much you can eat...doesn't work that way for most of us. Look for a cessation of hunger after a 'reasonable' meal (e.g. 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup vegie, 1/4 cup starch).

If you have frequent stuck and sliming episodes, chances are your band area may be swollen, causing the drinking difficulty. My band gets tight for no reason, but usually drinking a hot cup of tea prior to my meal helps with that.

Revised 2-22-11, lost 12lbs when I went in 1 wk after surgery. On eggs, cottage cheese, refried Beans, sf popsicles,sf Jello, deli turkey/chicken.. Still have cravings for things I shouldnt eat.Also I have tried Syntrax Nectar in vanilla Bean Torte, and chocolate Mousse (I believe) really like both. Also,tried Bariatric Fusion Cappucino WONDERFUL. Anyone know a good place for lowest prices? Still somewhat sore at this point where drain was.But it was a relief to get that out.Having stamina/energy problems,but Doc says that will improve as I get on a regular regime of Proteins, supplements and Vitamins.< /p>

Now I need to figure out how to update my ticker!

Edited by 2bthinagn

I had the band 8-07..lost almost 60lbs in about 6mon,gained 20 back.Just had revision to RNY 2-22-11. I am having some heartburn,not eating much..any thoughts?

heartburn you should touch base with your surgeon.

I'm now 2 months post op now of my revision... and down 51 pounds. I gained up to 260 pounds prior to the revision, and am currently at an all time low for me as an adult. I weigh 209.

Teri

I am have revision on May 20th. only lost maybe 30 lbs in two years with the band. follow therules and then started having problems with my band and the Dr wanted it out. The INS would only cover removal if I decided to do the RNY. at first I was unsure but after researching I am at the point I wish I would have had it in the first place...Still nervous but ready!

looks like I will (hopefully) be having a bypass soon. I was banded in June 2008. I did pretty well, losing 113 pounds (it took me 2 years, 2 months and 2 days to lose the 100... but I did!!) Then last November I started having a lot of pain. Had my band emptied, no help. My surgeon told me I had gastroparesis (which is a condition where you have very slow gastric emptying) After 2 months I got into a gastro doctor (we had new insurance... an HMO where nothng happens quickly) She did a endoscopy and found my band sitting in my stomach!!!! Major erosion. :eek: . So back in February I had the band removed. Just got to read the surgical notes today and found out the band was actually turning black!!!! (from the stomach acids).

Anyway, I was approved for bariatric surgery, but my insurance co has a 9-10 month waiting list.

The band removal did nothing for me. I am still having the same pain and issues I had before the removal... plus a few more. Went back to the gastro doctor today and she and I read the surgical report from the removal. Turns out I have a LOT of adhesions in my abdomen. I am scheduled for a upper GI this coming Friday and a endoscopy on Monday. She is then going to call the surgeon who did the removal to discuss my case. After that she is (hopefully) going to put in a call to the baraitrics department of my insurace to tell them I need surgery for the ahesion removal, as well as a bypass to cure the gastroparesis problem. She feels they will do the surgery a lot sooner because it will be considered a medical issue and not just to lose weight anymore.

I am so hoping this all happens. Since my band removal my food addiction has so reared it's ugly little head and I have gaind 9 pounds back!!!! This is such a slippery slope. I am afraid that in 10 months I will gain 50 or more back.

angie... I am with you almost exactly... just found your post... I am so disgusted. I eat my cup of food and still feel starved... I get stuck... I just am thinking I made a mistake and should have gone for the RNY.... How are you now? what have you done? I am down 30 lbs in 10 months... I feel so bad about it...

I've had my band 9 months and I've lost about 30 pounds (that I've kept off anyways, at one point I had lost about 40). I've had a LOT of trouble finding my "green zone" and am losing faith. Some days I can eat anything I want, others I can't even drink Water. I just saw my surgeon today and had a little out, but now I'm wondering if the band is ever going to work for me. I'm considering having it removed and having a RNY, but if I want this, I am better off having it soon due to risk of scar tissue and because I want to have children in the near future. What do you guys think? Are there some people that the band just doesn't work for???

I am also just totally depressed and upset... 30 pounds in a year is just not what I had in mind.... I feel like a failure. I have changed my eating.. but I still am having trouble losing. I am thinking about getting a revision to RNY... I am not feeling the love and very down... My doctor wanted me to have RNY and I sald I wanted to do the band... I hate going back and have him say "I told you so" :(

I was banded in February of 2008, and my dr is recommending the same thing yours is. I started at 306 lbs, and currently weigh 229. I have had so many complications that I am absolutely miserable with my band. I had to have port revision surgery a year after the band was placed, and in Aug 2010 we found that the port had flipped again. I have had sensitivity around the port area the entire time I had the band, and constant pain around the band when I ate. I was very, very careful to follow all of the surgeons directions, and the weight loss progressed well until this past August. I have begged the dr to just remove my band this coming Tuesday, due to persistent vomiting, the inability to keep anything down (more than possible 8 oz of water/day) for the last 3 weeks, and absolutely retched acid reflux which makes me unable to lay down to sleep. I am scared to do the RNY, and to be perfectly honest I would rather be fat than continue on like this.

When my band is removed, the biggest thing that I am looking forward to is being able to eat a salad. A nice big bowl of salad with italian dressing and a side of big juicy strawberries. It's been so long since I could eat any sort of fresh fruits and vegetables, I will most likely keep the farmers market in business. If anyone ever asked, though...I would definitely not recommend a lapband. I know 2 people who have had RNY, and 7 who have lapband. I have seen 2 successful RNY weight losses, and one successful lapband weight loss out of those people, so though I am scared of RNY, I would suggest to anyone that if they actually want to lose weight and not suffer a huge drop in quality of life, they should just opt for the RNY immediately.

I am now 3 months out from RNY...35lbs off! This is the least I have weighed in 15yrs. Depressing that I still need X size clothes. Oh well,didnt happen overnight so it isnt gonna come off overnight. I am so glad I did this. First 10 days were the hardest thing I have done. I was so exhausted,but that was because I was re-couping and had no Protein. I feel so much better than I have in years.

Still waiting for word from my insurance, I saw the surgeon last week, He told me he was going to send a letter to them with a request for surgery sooner than the nearly year I would have to wait normally . Not sure when I will hear back, getting kind of anxious, since I have a knee replacement scheduled for the 7th of July (I would much rather have the bypass first, and wait 6 months for the knee)