Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you starving after being banded??

I am so pissed! How come I wasn't so lucky? I woke up STARVING - and it wasn't head hunger. I was hungry from day one and struggled for days being angry and depressed over the whole thing. Then - ZOOM - it was over so fast and now I am 2 and 1/2 weeks post op. Struggling with full liquids and eating every chance I am allowed too- all carbs and weight loss is minimal. I can't wait for my first fill - if there is one thing I learned in this whole process is that the band is the preliminary stage and that the real BIG DEAL is the fill date (or dates).....

don't feel bad NoahsMom... I was banded 07/02 and I too was hungry from DAY 1 and I am having the same struggles you are. I don't feel that much different and when I called my surgeon he told me that I don't have any restriction right now and being hungry is not abnormal. I am so glad I'm on purees now... it helps a little bit!!! Mashed Potatoes are my friend! I am not scheduled to have my first fill until August 13, and I was mad about that as well... why do I have to wait 5 weeks??? I know it will all be worth it in the long run, but the hard part is getting there!!!!

I can't wait for my first fill - if there is one thing I learned in this whole process is that the band is the preliminary stage and that the real BIG DEAL is the fill date (or dates).....

You are so right about that statement. I kept thinking, once I am banded it would be smooth sailing. Really, after the first couple of weeks, it was like being on a diet off and on until my second fill. I was still battling hunger from time to time and feeling deprived when I didnt give in.

I was banded a day before you and I have the same noises & I can't tell when I have had enough fluids. I try to keep sipping Water all day even though I feel full. Today I am able to drink Water a little faster then I was yesterday.

Like someone else said, I believe these are gas/digestive sounds. I am PRAYING mine stop by Thursday because I do not want to be making those sounds at work!:thumbup:

I was banded on July 10 and am having a hard time trying to find the right amount of fluids. My stomach is either growling/gurgling like I'm really hungry even though I don't feel that way or I feel really full. I just wish I could get this right. I am really glad about my decision to be banded but it seems like I cannot adjust to this very well. I will be off work for 4 weeks due to my job and lifting restrictions. I am going to go crazy if this doesn't start getting better.

Omg, yes I am 4 weeks out as of yesterday and I have been very hungry LOL, I am having a fill a week from today (my first one) my doctor said he put a 14cc band in and I had a "skinny inside" so the band is flopping around he said - I just do not have much restriction. But, I have lost 6 pounds since surgery and I will happily take it. Once this fill is in I think it will help greatly :thumbup: Good luck!

I wonder if it has something to do with what size band the DR places??

I would say I was hungry right after surgery but over the course of the first week that settled down. Head hunger was a definate problem for me too. I had my surgery on 6/30 and I can't say that I feel restricted at this point. I did initally but not so much anymore. I'm waiting for my 1st fill but I've lost 30 lbs in about a month.

I am so glad to have found this forum! Someothers can relate to how I feel!

I was banded 7/7 and lost 30 lbs during the three weeks I was on liquids. Now that I got the OK to move to solids, I think I am hungry all the time! I know this is "head hunger" and I fear that I am already reverting back to old ways of picking throughout the day. This stinks. I had a bad day today, even ate regular food (not mussies) and I'm afraid that I will make the band slip or something else bad will happen. I feel so upset and worried! When the band slips, does anyone know if you feel it happen? I can't believe I have to wait another four weeks for my first fill. My bandage over the port site has not even fallen off yet and I am freaking out already. I woke up feeling great today and stated off with a 40gr. Protein Shake. At about three, I went crazy with "emotional hunger" and even ate a few perdue backed chicken nuggets that I made my kids for dinner. UGH!! Luckly, it has not come up and I think it digested? I can only look towards tomorrow and hope I do better! Keep myself more busy-away from food. Anyone have any good advise? I'll take any. Thanks for letting me vent!

I am so glad to have found this forum! Someothers can relate to how I feel!

I was banded 7/7 and lost 30 lbs during the three weeks I was on liquids. Now that I got the OK to move to solids, I think I am hungry all the time! I know this is "head hunger" and I fear that I am already reverting back to old ways of picking throughout the day. This stinks. I had a bad day today, even ate regular food (not mussies) and I'm afraid that I will make the band slip or something else bad will happen. I feel so upset and worried! When the band slips, does anyone know if you feel it happen? I can't believe I have to wait another four weeks for my first fill. My bandage over the port site has not even fallen off yet and I am freaking out already. I woke up feeling great today and stated off with a 40gr. Protein shake. At about three, I went crazy with "emotional hunger" and even ate a few perdue backed chicken nuggets that I made my kids for dinner. UGH!! Luckly, it has not come up and I think it digested? I can only look towards tomorrow and hope I do better! Keep myself more busy-away from food. Anyone have any good advise? I'll take any. Thanks for letting me vent!

My advice is to relax. You can't undo what you have already done, and freaking out about it will just make you more likely to slip up again. It sounds like you don't have any restriction, which is normal, and it's unlikely that you have caused any damage to the band, although I wouldn't push my luck!

Do your best to monitor your food intake. Use thedailyplate.com and journal everything. But most importantly, be kind to yourself. You won't help yourself succeed with negative self talk. You're doing fine, just leave the mistakes behind, and do your best.

I was banded 7/2 and I do have some hunger, but then am able to satisfy it pretty easily. I have been faithfully keeping track of everything I eat (well, drink at this point), and have been getting in 800-900 calories per day. Any less than that and I don't really feel well.

I am having some head hunger, but it usually subsides if I quit looking at all those yummy things I can't have. I start mushies tomorrow though, and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to it. I hope I don't overendulge.

After talking to a few girls im a little worried... they made it sound like they were really hungry the first few weeks after being banded??? How did you feel after you were banded??

yes, I was starving, in fact, I lost 10 lbs the first weed post op and gained 7 back at the end of four weeks. got my forst fill today and am hoping for better results. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was banded on 7/7 and have no hunger. I also have the stomach sounds. I hope my appetite does not come back any time soon.

Thank you for your positive outlook. I have put it into perspective and feel better. You are right, tomorrow is a new day and I am looking forward to it! I never heard of thedailyplate.com but will definitely check it out. I will remember what you said about being kind to myself. Thanks.

My advice is to relax. You can't undo what you have already done, and freaking out about it will just make you more likely to slip up again. It sounds like you don't have any restriction, which is normal, and it's unlikely that you have caused any damage to the band, although I wouldn't push my luck!

Do your best to monitor your food intake. Use thedailyplate.com and journal everything. But most importantly, be kind to yourself. You won't help yourself succeed with negative self talk. You're doing fine, just leave the mistakes behind, and do your best.

I started getting really hungry at about 1 and 1/2 weeks post-op, while I was on the full liquid stage. I hate supplement shakes, so I found that milk or Isopure drinks really helped me. Today I started mushies and I noticed that I am full with very little food, which I am really happy about! Someone on another thread said that this fullness/restriction during the mushies phase only lasts for 2 days, though. Hopefully it will last longer for me!

I am a week out and honestly I feel very good. I have not experienced growling hunger. I have 3 Protein Shakes a day, 2 cups of chicken broth and Jello and coffee here and there when I feel like it. The only thing I don't like at this stage is I am sick and tired of chocolate Protein shakes! I would die for a scrambled egg! :embaressed_smile:

This thread has been a real help for me. I was banded on 7/10 and am still having a hard time figuring out what is enough but not too much for me. It seems everytime I try to drink something a little too thick like a smoothie I am miserable. But yet long for something other than chocolate Protein Shake. I got chocolate because I love chocolate but now not so much. I have not been keeping track of what I take in or my Protein. I know I haven't been getting enough protein and maybe that is the problem. The suggestions have been great and good advice. On a totally unrelated subject....how do you "pimp" your profile? LOL I want to get one of those weight loss counters and haven't been able to figure out how. Good luck to everyone.