Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Kathy, that's so awesome that a) they think of you as a fit person and :thumbup: you can eat in public and people see what you eat as normal. Those are two of my goals, too.

I was really scared the first "work" dinner I had with people who didn't know about my banding. To this day I still get the occassional PB experience, so it can be a bit dicy. But I just tend to eat really slow, talk a lot (which is easy for me, LOL) and move stuff around my plate so it looks like I've eaten a lot. When someone notices, which is not often, I just say something like "Oh, I'm not a big eater" or "It was very filling". That always works! :thumbup::lol: Its funny, when I was morbidly obese I thought people were always watching what I ate... now I don't think so.

I ran 30 min, pushing my speed a bit today. I did 10min at 4.7, then 3 min at 5.0, then 5min at 4.5 and the rest at 4.8. A month ago 4.5 was my high speed and 4.7 was my sprint. Now I've elevated it a bit. If I keep this up, I'm going to get to that goal of 5k under 35min.

Went on my trail run today, it was fun. The weather broke and it was a beautiful sunny day! The only part I didn't like was running uphill for the first 1.5 miles. But it was down hill from there!:thumbup:

After the run DH decided to take me to one of the running stores in town to get some new shoes. I got to go through the whole process and have my feet checked and analyzed. It was kind of fun. I tried on several different shoes and ended up with a pair of Nike's - which is funny, because that is almost always what I wear, they just fit my feet well. The other great part was the fact that they are Nike+.

Anywho, it was a good day and I got a Valentine's present to boot!

Hi Guys. I finished week 1 and am excited to start week 2 tonight.

I joined WW this weekend and met a lady there who was looking for someone to run a 5k with her. I agreed and asked her to run in the Race For the Cure with me. They are both in May so I have plenty of time. One is May 9 and the other is May 17th. Is that enough time to rest and be able to run both races?

I've done the breast cancer one 2 years in a row now, but since I was heavy before, I had to walk it. I'm excited about running it and was evening considering timing it if I do well on my training.

Edited by SuzanneG

WOW...I had A LOT of posts to catch up on, lol. I had a crazy weekend. DH was off Thur, Fri, and Sat. My son's birthday was yesterday, so we made it a weekend event.

Friday, we took him to the zoo and we had a blast! There was hardly anyone else there. I WISH I had brought my ipod because I we did A LOT of walking and I did little jogging too. It was really fun! Then we went shopping for the rest of the day and didn't get home until really late.

Saturday was my sons birthday party. We had it at a park in a nearby town. Very nice playground and picnic area. It turned out to be a beautiful sunny day. Couldn't have asked for better weather.

Sunday I felt terrible! Had a stomach virus...YUCK! Still feel a little puny today, but I'm hoping I feel better by tonight so I can run. DH is home sick with it today.

EVERYONE is doing so well! I'm so proud of all of you!

Lyn...congrats on the job!!

Oh, and we bought guitar hero Friday and we played it all day Saturday...except when we were at the party, lol.

Edited by georgia girl

Hey Suzanne,

By all means time your race! Doesnt matter if you walk, run, or do both. The thing that hooked me was the timing of it. Gives you a baseline to work from! My goal for my first 5k was to finish and not in last place, and to do it in under an hour. I did all of that.

Then i was itching to do another race. When I built it up in my mind so much and I did better on the Race for the Cure, but not as well as id hoped - I had a real dose of humility, but now I'm doing the next race this weekend! I'm psyched all over again! But Kathy suggested I do this one without expectations for a time since its a 6k. Whosya suggested i do it for the experience. I'm trying really hard to do that. Maybe when I finish this one, I'll officially do the c25k program. For now Ive been winging it, but feel like I want to get more orgainzed with it so i can get more consistant with my running.

My overall goal is to first do a whole lap around my lake (.8 mi) running and not walking/sprinting, then to move on to 2 laps, and finally a whole 5k RUN (not walk). I think Im developing bunions now :) One sports injury (or band problem) after another. If it continues I will have to see a podiatrist or an ortho. I'm not letting this walking/sprinting go. But I have to get the pain under control since now that Im doing well with my metamorphosis, I wont let the pain control me.

TC All,

Carol

Slinky thanks for the input. On the bunions, you may want to see about different shoes. We have a store called VA Runner and they actually watch you run in the shoes and decide which shoe is best suited for your situation. DH, my brother, and I all went Saturday to get shoes. It was a fun experience and I found out that besides all my normal foot problems, my gait is normal. Go figure.

Suzanne... go for it. That should be plenty of time in between. Time it so you know, and don't worry if you're not finished with the c25k yet by the race... just do what you can.

Carol... you've got a great plan hatching. You are going to have a great run on the weekend... no matter what the time!

Georgia... glad your weekend was good.

I didn't run yesterday as planned. We took a spontaneous road trip (again!) and ended up at Ikea in Toronto. Love that store!

I weighed myself again this morning and alas... still stuck at the same weight. But at work people kept saying "you've lost weight" (I was gone last week so its more noticable). So I just did my body composition and measurements and compared it to Jan 1st... drum roll...

I've lost 5lbs of body fat and 2.0%, gained 2lbs of muscle (lost 3lbs on the scale). I've lost 1.5" off my bust, 1" off waist, 1" off hips and 1" off thigh. All since Jan 1st! So, I guess I'm doing just fine! I've got to stop getting frustrated with the scale!

It is raining here and my treadmill is hidden under boxes. It is supporsed to rain all week, so I don't know how much running I iwll get in. I get my staples out tomorrow. Hopefully we are moving this weekend. I am thinking I may just get back with running once we get moved.

Well, I did go to the gym tonight but I wasn't able to do much. My energy is still not there. I only did 2.2 miles and only ran about half of it. Hopefully I'll have more energy tomorrow.

It's supposed to rain here too. But not tomorrow so I can do my track workout. But it will be raining for my swim workout.

I ran today at the gym and ran for all but 8 min. of the 45 min. I got a new voice on my Nike+ saying "good job" because of it. :lol:

Kathy~ WTG! Measuring is so fulfilling when the scale isn't movin'!

Suzanne~ I did the shoe thing this weekend too! It was kind of fun and the guy said I had a neutral foot and an efficient gait. It sounds like something I would comment on when evaluating a horse - LOL!

I would time the race if I was you. It is fun to see where you are and it is a good motivator for the next race! I had about 3mos between races and I am working to take 5mins off my first race time. I am excited to see if I can reach my goal!

Mac~ Great job on the 45min run! I love the good job voice on the nike+. I had Lance Armstrong tell me that I had the longest workout since I started (on Saturday). I started laughing, I thought it was pretty funny.

This is going to be an off week for me. I ran yesterday (ran for 5 miles straight at 5.0mph, longest, fastest run yet) but I won't get to run again till Friday..blah. I will be gone Thursday morning until Friday afternoon for a staff retreat out at Blue Lake.

Wow, I have such a long way to go. I started Week 2 last night and it was hard. Easier with the podcast than watching the second hand, but it was exhausting.

Reading all your times, I wonder if I'll ever get there. I'm super slow, way slower than any of you. The program says not to rush it, but geeze, I wanna do better.

Having said all that, how much slower will I be on the ground after training on a treadmill?

the guy said I had a neutral foot and an efficient gait.

I love the good job voice on the nike+. I had Lance Armstrong tell me that I had the longest workout since I started (on Saturday). I started laughing, I thought it was pretty funny.

No one is ever going to say that about me. One of my legs is a lot longer than the other so I kind of lope and I pronate so my right foot is twisted out to the right.

Lance talks to me a lot too. But sometimes I get a woman. I am sure she's famous but I can never remember her name to look her up!

Reading all your times, I wonder if I'll ever get there.

Hey, I was on week two just 9 weeks ago!

Guys!!!

Hi!!! I am so embarassed that it's been almost 2 months since I last dropped by here. I was struggling so much in December between auditions and fighting a cold and working and life and etc etc!

But, here I am and guess what? I ran today!!! I was so excited, it's one of the first days the sidewalks haven't been buried in snow and ice and so I was able to run outside. I am so excited. I started with week 1 but in all honesty I may just do one more day of 1 and then move on to week 2. Since I have been active leading up to starting running and not starting from scratch I think I may be up to it.

So how is everyone? :-)

Things continue to be busy with me, DH and I are off to NYC this weekend. I have 2 auditions there and so we decided to use hotel points and make a little trip of it. He has somewhere planned for Valentine's dinner but won't tell me what it is... hmm....

I am glad to be back (again, for like, the third time) and look forward to chatting with you all!

Beanie

ps-quick question... those of you that have done 10K races... how much longer than the C25K did it take to train?