Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Losing Weight

This is frustrating as all hell.:rolleyes2: I've only lost 18lbs and I started going to the gym after I got my first fill and still not losing weight.:tongue2: Although my inner thighs jiggle like jello.:rolleyes2: I'm losing inches but not lbs and I want that scale to do downward not stay stagnant.

I've decided to go back to a liquid diet to hopefully kickstart my weight loss back up. Is anyone else having these issues or is it just me?

Dolphin

You are not the only one! I had surgery on May 27, 2008. The day of surgery I was 225 lbs. I did lose 7-8 lbs but since then gained all but 1lb back. I am doing all the things that are required but the scale is going in the opposite direction. Becoming very frusterated and discouraged! Pre surgery, the things that I am doing now would have already led to weight loss. I lost 30lbs on my own presurgery doing what I am doing now. What gives??? I am going to scream if someone tells me, "now is the time for your body to heal and not for weight loss". I kNOW that, yet, why is it that reducing calories, exercising don't always lead to weight loss???????? CONFUSED!!!! So thindolphin you are not alone. Let me say this......although i am discouraged I am still going to continue with eating the right things and exercising....I am hoping that my body will come out of surgery shock at some point and start dropping some of its weight. I am at the mercy of my body!!!

You know, I would rather loose inches than pounds. You can't see pounds but you can see the inches. Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are gaining muscle and loosing fat that is a good thing. Muscle also helps your metabolism so you will be able to eat more calories and still loose weight. Don't get frustrated. If you are doing all the right things, (drinking enough Water, getting enough Protein, eating 3 meals per day, not snacking), you are loosing fat even if the scale doesn't reflect it. Your inches lost does! Keep up the good work!

Yes, yes, YES, I have had the same issues!! It is incredibly frustrating... but I have started counting NSV [Non-scale Victories]. It's so important that my clothes fit better and I can wear jeans [unforgiving as they all are] that I haven't worn in over a year!

The theory is, you lose first where you last gained. If that's true [which for me, it seems like it is], then measure yourself weekly. I hated doing it, but I've started. And you know what -- I log it in with my daily intake on Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate.

I might not see the numbers on the scale move as often as I'd like, but I can see the numbers move on my measurements. [it also tells you exactly HOW to measure if you're unsure.]

It's frustrating, but it's the little steps that add up to the final product. Believe me, I have moments of pure jealousy when I read about someone who's had RNY [gastric bypass] and they've lost 25 pounds compared to my 2 in the past month. But then I remember that I haven't had my 'innards' re-arranged. I opted to be a 'steady' loser...

Enough of my pontificating, I hear ya, I do!! Hang in there!!!!

Hey girls, I have been having the same problem. I am working out at least five days a week and I was gaining weight. I am getting my Protein in and not eating anything not approved by my doctor. I have not had a fill yet so I probably can eat more than I should. I have lost inches so I am still excited about that. I did not give up and just this morning when I weighed myself, I had lost 2.5 pounds. Woohoooo. Just hang in there and it will start to come off again. Good luck.

I am stuck at 20lbs. At my weight, I feel that I should lose a LOT more before I hit a plateau so soon. I have been exercising diligently, focusing on 50 - 60 grams of Protein per day and eating smaller portions. I don't sit at the dinner table because I find that dinner is my most challenging meal for self control. I am down 6 inches in my stomach which is a great thing, but I really would like to see the scale move.

I go for my 2nd fill on Monday and I feel that I really need it. 90% of my smaller portion sizes has been due to my own discipline and NOT restriction. I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes.....

Finding the culprit (aka it's not always the muscles' fault):

Track your food every day. While gaining muscle will cause some weight gain, it's not the only reason. Track your food, down to the bite. Then go back and look at it. See if you can find a spike in calories (without realizing it), or fat or carbs or whatever affects you most.

Sometimes it's hard to be honest, especially to yourself. I am not saying that the gym is bad or that gaining muscle is bad - it's fabulous! But try the diet watch; be militant for a few days and track it, compare it, pay attention to it. The band is a tool, and it only works when you wield that tool properly.

Keep up the good work in the exercise department! Do that and the diet record. You'll figure it out and then you can adjust it as appropriate.

Good luck.

The body is weird how it does that, but if you're losing inches you're losing FAT and that's what matters. Sooner or later it will show on the scale too.

DH got banded 2 weeks ago, lost 5kg within a week and has stayed the same since. Yet remarkably, his face and chest look WAY thinner suddenly today.

The inches are what's important.

sunshinelady... Omg I could have written your post! I am tracking every bite, getting in about 1000 calories a day and walking 20 minutes a day and no loss! I even gained 3 pounds this week! I just dont understand that if I easily ate 2500 calories before surgery, and cutting back as much as I am, why aren't I losing weight??????? I am very discouraged but will keep on going... I guess it will eventually pay off... At least I hope. :ohmy:

I am very upset that I havent really lose ANY weight. Banded on May 19th- NYC with Dr. Ren. I had my first fill and I do not feel any additional restriction. I can eat almost anything- but I don't. Is anyone having the same problem. I am frustrated and disappointed and thought I would have lost 10 lbs by now.

The scale is not and never ever has been my friend. I avoid it. Always have and always will. If you know you are eating right and exercising, etc. then why get on that scale just to lose all motivation. You are better off without it. Try weighing once a month instead. look for other successes.

Hi ladies,

Since my last post reply, I've decided to take my diuretic pill that my surgeon discontinued; i have edema. I noticed that when pressing my fingers into my legs and around ankle that i was leaving a fully indented fingerprint behind. My Water retention was bad and I wasn't feeling good either. I hadn't taken it for 4 weeks. So after I took a pill, I urinated out every single Fluid it seems like in my body. Overnight i went from 224 to 220 and then taking the second pill, I went from 220 down to 217. I feel much better. I will be letting my doctor know that I have started taking my water pill again. I am very cautious with making sure I am getting in my 64+ oz now. I've increased my exercise regimen from 30 to 45 mins x5 week and I am recording, for at least a week, exactly what it is i'm eating/calorie intake and time. Thanks Felicialevy75! I knew I needed to do that but I guess I needed to hear someone else say DO IT!!! But guys, the main point is, try not to be too discouraged, BE ENCOURAGED!!!!!! We WILL make IT through. I'm glad I got you guys.

I Truly understand just last thursday (6-28) i went to the doc lost 14 pounds from the 4th of june this morning i wanted to DIE i gain 5 pounds i dont understand it its very hard for me to eat in the morning but my doc say eat only when hungery at times my 1st meal of the day is 11am-1pm then 2nd around 6-8pm so i dont know if its the time of day that cause the gain or what but im freakin out here ladies some one help me. i walkin 2miles aday on my off day, extra things around the house to keep moving, make healthy choice of food so whats the deal ??

Mzreeda,

Don't be discouraged. Not that I am the one to talk but my nutritionist gave me the advice that I need to kick start my metabolism in the morning with something. I used to be a late day eater just like yourself; this was a contributing factor as to why I am overweight. I hated Breakfast and was never hungry in the morning. I basically had to force myself to eat in the morning to kick start my system. As I started to do that, i was able to control my hunger throughout the day. When I skip breakfast I seem to overeat in the evening for dinner and later on into the night. Also, I was told that every 3-4 hours I should be eating something to keep my metabolism going/"feed the furnace". I do not eat after 7pm, except for o calorie items because your metabolism slows down then. I'm not an expert or anything, I'm just talking from self experience. I hope this helps you some. Please stay encouraged.