Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

Not a good day! I just spent the last 8 hrs at the Water park with my kids and company. I stayed on plan until about to hours ago. I had about 10 chili cheese fries, a corn dog nugget, and some of my son's lemonade and half of his brownie. I hadn't planned on being at the park that long and thought I'd be okay. But as my kids were eating and of course letting their food go to waste, I started snacking. I wish now that I'd forked out the 10 bucks for one of their sorry salads. At least I would have had my own food in front of me. I'm afraid to look at the carb count of what I ate.

I feel like such a loser! And I had been so proud of myself, lately.:smile:

I'm guessing the band helped you limit the size of your cheat. At least the cheats are smaller now! You will be fine in the long run. I can really relate to the being penny wise and pound foolish thing. I've eaten stupid things to "save money."

MSNIKA

Don't kick your self. We are all here to cheer on the successes and lend support when needed.

We are all in your boat! You can get back on it - keep going.

Razor-- unfortunately, I don't have any restriction, so my cheat was really limited by my guilt. Which I guess is still good. Wish the guilt had kicked in after the first fry.

Lynlyn -- thanks! The support here is the main reason I posted after my cheat. I knew that if I wallowed around in my guilt for too long, I would have just thrown my hands up and had a carbfest for the next few weeks. Thanks so much for the encouragement!

I try to keep an Atkins bar with me just in case I get stranded without anything to eat. I also remember Atkins saying in his book "eat a Big Mac --cheese--all the sauce--lettuce--throw away the bun" I don't do it often but if I'm stranded it works.

Yesterday--

1 slice low carb pizza

2 zesty pickle spears

3 coffees

Sliced pork w/low carb pocket

½ avocado

Atkins crispy chocolate caramel bar

Today

2 fried eggs, 2 strips of bacon

1 coffee

2 iced green teas

1 slice low carb pizza

Steak w/blue cheese, mushrooms, cauliflower

6 almonds

5 black olives

2 zesty pickle spears

Atkins crispy chocolate caramel bar

LBT has definately become my new addiction (replacing food addiction) ha! We have had computer problems for the last couple of days preventing me from getting online and I've had serious withdrawals! Call me a dork, it's ok....

I've worked myself in to moderate ketosis after working at it seriously for a few days. It's a wonderful feeling knowing you are burning fat! I don't know where I have found my motivation, but I'm on a roll. I think it is because I enjoy reporting back good news to you all. I hope the scale is good to me this week.

Way to go with moderate ketosis!! I am not doing ketone sicks yet, as I know I am not in ketosis yet.

I had a much better day today. Not perfect, but I finally feel like I am getting my head back in this thing!!

I am still up 5 pounds from what my ticker says, but I am a little encouraged tonight. You know this all started when I was sick and greatly increased my fluids. Well, I noticed tonight that I have pitting edema (swelling where when you push on your skin it leaves an indention) in my lower legs and ankles. So... my weight gain is most definately fluids. I am drinking lots of Water. Here my nursing diagnosis. I think when I had the virus I became a little dehydrated and then my body held on to fluids like crazy. Now that I am well I am expecting my body to figure it out anytime now and release the fluids that it has been holding on to. Sorry if that was too technical, but I am encouraged to think I have figured out what the deal it. (if I am even right??)

Anyway, I am back in it!! You guys are the best. I agree with Mamato, it is sooo great to have a support system to go through this with!!

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

yesterday I went to an amusement park and I had struggled with the thoughts "to cheat or not to cheat" I had all these reasons in my head why I should cheat like "I love elephant ears and dippin dots!" or "do it before I get banded" or "my sister that I haven't seen in 4 years is in town so go for it" We went to the grocery store the night before and I stood in front of the Atkins bars debating on buying them or cheating. I chose NOT to buy them...that way I would HAVE to buy junk food. Right before I left for the park I stopped by CVS and stood in front of the bars again. This time I chose to buy them. I bought two. I get to the park and at lunch and for a snack I ate my bars (even though I was bitter about it) and I was so happy I did. I just kept thinking of how miserable I would be if I ate sugar (seriously gives me a headache if I am in ketosis if I eat it now!) I was thinking of how I would blow my ketosis, how I would be mad at myself.

I woke up this morning and had lost a pound and half!! woo hoo! It paid NOT to cheat. My skinny vegan sister DID cheat (she is like me, if you have a little, you want it all and struggled with her weight until she moved to california and turned vegan) She was so mad at herself later. I totally get it though. I think for the first time in my life I GET it. Its not all about the food, its about family, friends and LIFE! I had such a great time with my littlest son who JUST grew to 48inches and could ride all the big kid rides and I had a BLAST riding with him. He was so brave. I let my day be about my kids and not about food.

So word of advice: TAKE THE HEALTH BARS WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES!!!

What a great day Bonnie. What a great accomplishment. So much of this is about our thinking, not our eating. "As a man thinketh, so he is."

I think my theory on my weight gain is right. I got up and peed a lot last night, and this morning I am down 3 pounds!!! That still puts me 2 pounds above my ticker weight, but man am I happy to see those scales going back down. I was beginning to freak out a little. When I gained a few pounds those fears of being obese forever crept back in. Suddenly I could see myself at 255 again, with little power to make good choices (the old me). Man the psychological realities of adjusting to not being obese.... I hope some day I don't fear "gaining it all back".

Anyway, still working toward ketosis by morning!!

Make it a great one everybody!!

Renewed and Bonnie -- thanks for the advice. I will be heading to the store today to buy some Atkins bars. What flavors do you prefer?

Also, tomorrow when we head back to the park (and in the future), I will put a cooler in my car with deviled eggs, cream cheese rollups, etc. and sneak them back into the park in my bag. I am also going to by a can of almonds and keep a few handy in a snack bag.

I know that with this way of eating, lots of planning is required. I blame only myself for not planning better. The day before, we went to the Water park also. That day, I didn't cheat. I bought a cheeseburger and took off the bun. I didn't do that yesterday. Because I had a couple extra mouths to feed I had planned to leave the park and make a McDonald's run. But I gave in to the whines and fed the kids there and didn't want to spend $5.00 on a hamburger patty or $10.00 on a salad. I should have. But, lesson learned. Today is a new day. Lesson learned.

I almost gave up even after posting yesterday, but I refuse to fall back into my old habits of using a cheat as an excuse to say...screw it! I know that I'm going to have to work at this with or without restriction. Today will be a good day!:redface:

MSnicka, I used to be an all or nothing dieter. I was either great or I just said forget it and ate whatever I wanted. The biggest thing the band has done for me is helped me to stop that cycle... You will have off days! Don't let that discourage you so. One off day is not a huge deal in the big picture. It is when that off day turns into days, weeks or months that you should be concerned. Once you have good restriction it will get MCUH easier. You are doing GREAT!! You are right, today is a new day!! Just keep moving forward and be very proud of what you have accomplished so far!!

Thanks Renewed! And you are so right! I've always hated the feeling of looking back weeks or months after quitting a diet, thinking...I was doing so well, if only I had stuck it out. I know that some good restriction would be helpful, but in the meantime... It's just going to take pure willpower and prayer! I have to keep in mind how good it feels to stay on plan and reap the benefits. Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice! You all are the greatest!!! :redface:

Oh, and I gained two pounds. But I ain't claiming it!

Haha! Thats our girl! Don't claim it!!!

Our weight gain is a mix of a lot of different things, but I really think for me its mostly a head game. Sure I can look at all of my morbidly obese relatives and think "Its all in genes, no wonder I am fat" but when I really think about all the food I ate that made me fat and the "all or nothing" attitude I have had for years, its all about making changes in my head and at 36 years old I am finally starting to realize that!

SO...another temptation coming up...my husband has left town for the next 4 days in meetings. It will just be me and my kiddos. This USED to be the perfect time for me to cheat...no one I have to hide food from. I used to pig out on fast food and junk food when he would go away. This will be a real test. Already I am making plans with my bff (and my best eating buddy) to go out Sat night for dinner. I hope I continue to make good choices. Wish me luck!!!

Bonnie - wow! congrats on the success at the amusement park! I think the feeling we get when we stay on plan and receive the benefits are WAY better then the temporary flavor sensation of the food we cheat with. Does that make sense? lol

Renewed - You should be rid of the rest of that Water weight soon. Being sick really messes with our systems. Good job with the nursing diagnosis! :redface:

MSnika - The Atkins Endulge Carmel nut chew bars are ohhhhh sooo good! Taste almost like a snickers without so much guilt. I try not to do them often, but they are great if everyone else is eating something naughty and you feel like you might cheat. Also, when I am out for the day, I usually bring a low carb slimfast or a Atkins shake. I can order an ice tea wherever we might be with LOTS of ice and after the tea is gone I pour the shake over the ice. I love the shakes though. They are very filling for me. (I have super good restriction) YOu are doing great! Try not to get discouraged. I promise it does get easier with restriction.

I try to stay off the scale except for Monday mornings but that is not working this week. Today I am down 2 pounds! YAY! I'm trying not to update my ticker until Monday though...