Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you prefer tampons or pads?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer tampons or pads?

I'm going to totally gross you out and tell you I use cloth pads.

People fall about going eeeeew yuck, but I reckon landfills full of disposed of sanitary pads is more disgusting. And none of my babies ever wore a disposable diaper either.

I prefer tampons over pads and tried the mooncup and keeper but I cant tolerate them, something about my internal anatomy means they just dont fit right and give me crippling cramps.

But my periods are super duper light and last 2 days anyway, so I like my nice microfleece topped hemp pads - the fleece top means they stay dry feeling. They have a PUL layer so never ever leak either.

I will use tampons if I'm swimming though, or away on holidays or whatever. But I always buy organic cotton ones, all those bleaches and chemicals, no way am I putting them inside me.

I also use cloth pads! I think people think it's gross, but I don't like the "feel" of that plasticy/papery stuff that regular pads are made of. I wear cloth pads at home and at night only. I HATE the feeling of sleeping in a papery pad.

I use OB tampons, the little kind with no applicator. I know there are women who don't like those because they have to use their fingers, but jeeze, if you can't touch yourself I think you have a problem!

On my very light days I use a regular pad, but I pretty much hate them. Since being banded I have like, 4 days of spotting and 2 days of HEAVY bleeding. This is basically the opposite of my previous cycles. That means I am using a lot more pads. I only buy Always pads, and have used those since I was 12!

Huntersmom, you didn't have to have the Mirena removed for your band surgery? I have a handout thingy that says you have to cease all hormonal forms of B/C 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after to help prevent clots. Does that not apply to Mirena? I LOVE mine and don't want to give it up then have to deal with huge constant clots while healing from surgery . . . .

Huntersmom, you didn't have to have the Mirena removed for your band surgery? I have a handout thingy that says you have to cease all hormonal forms of B/C 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after to help prevent clots. Does that not apply to Mirena? I LOVE mine and don't want to give it up then have to deal with huge constant clots while healing from surgery . . . .

I have never heard of that. I didn't have to stop my birth control.

I would love to try tampons but I seriously have no clue how to use one. I grew up with no mom/sisters so I learned pads on my own. I know I COULD learn how by reading the box but now I have Mirena and havent had a period in over a year. Next time I get one I think I will try a tampon.

Bella, make sure you read the instructions for the tampons. I did have a mom at home, however, she never spoke about any of this. I remember as a girl, having a friend give me a tampon in a time of need and I had no idea what to do and was not comfortable enough to ask. I left the applicator in, and omg! how uncomfortable! I couldn't understand why anyone chose them. Until I finally saw a box and saw how they worked.

I am 24 and still uncomfortable asking a friend or even my OB. It takes a lot for me to be uncomfortable too. Thanks for the advice! If all fails I have internet to look things up lol

I bleed so heavily that I have no choice but to use pads...I go through about 10-15 a day maybe more maybe less...it's awful!!!!

Bella, make sure you read the instructions for the tampons. I did have a mom at home, however, she never spoke about any of this. I remember as a girl, having a friend give me a tampon in a time of need and I had no idea what to do and was not comfortable enough to ask. I left the applicator in, and omg! how uncomfortable! I couldn't understand why anyone chose them. Until I finally saw a box and saw how they worked.

This sounds just like me. My mom didn't want me using tampons so it was never talked about. I remember being at someones house (can't remember who's) and started. I was too embarressed to ask for anything so I went searching the bathroom and could only find tampons and I too put the whole thing in - I was miserable! After about 30 min. I took it back out which was very difficult and rolled up a bunch of toilet paper until I could get home!

My Mom never used tampons and she didn't know how to use them, so she couldn't tell me. I had no one else to ask. My Mom didn't have a problem with me using them, but I had to figure out how to put them in on my own. When I was 13, one of my friends gave me a box of tampons, but they were the OB kind that didn't have an applicator. I stayed in the bathroom FOREVER trying to figure out how to put it in!

I didn't use my first tampon until after I lost my virginity...I was too weirded out about putting something up there :)

I know I'm late, but...

I use both - HAVE TO!:cool2:

When I first started, I could use either - I was a "regular" girl, 7 day cycle, no really heavy days.

After my first child, I went to having 2 - 3 heavy days at the beginning, then tapering off. I used both on heavy days, light pads on the rest of the days.

Since I turned 40, fibroid tumors have made multiple pads a necessity - my mom and my sister had them, so I kinda knew I was going the same route. First couple of days, I have to wear double pads and a tampon - and even then I have to be careful!:smile2:

After the first 3 days, I can back off the second pad, and a couple days after that, I can back off the tampon and go with just a pad.

I'm actually looking FORWARD to menopause because then it will finally be OVER!:cool2:

My mother never used tampons, so I think that gave me my start of using pads. Unless I am swimming, I am just used to the pads.

Another reason I don't use tampons is that I drink a ton of Water. I am constantly drinking all day, therefore many runs to the ladies room. My periods are really light so I don't have to change the pad constantly, but I would definitely have to change the tampon constantly.

Diva cup all the way! I used tampons for ages (i never used pads regularly. I hate 'em) but I never liked them much either. The cotton, the dryness, the leaking...I got a Diva Cup and I couldn't be happier with it!