Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgeon Gave Me a Gold Star for the Week! LOL!

I had my surgery yesterday, and along with my new band, I got a gold star. Apparently the doctor could tell that I worked really hard on my pre-op liquid diet because my liver was really small when he started the surgery. Woo hoo!!!! I didn't cheat once! He said he had performed another surgery earlier in the week and the person didn't do any of the pre-op liquid diet, and it took him 45 minutes longer to do that surgery than mine.

So, yes, it was an awful time on liquids, but it was soooooo worth it. My surgeon is funny . . .. "gold star" . . .LOL. I thought that was cute.

Anyways, I have to say that this has been the EASIEST surgery I have ever had. I had bilateral TMJ arthrotomy in the 90s -- AWFUL. A c-section - MEGA-AWFUL. And my gallbladder removed last year - MEGA MEGA AWFUL! Lap-band? Not so bad. Not compared to those surgeries.

I arrived at 9:45 for my 11:45 surgery and checked in -- paperwork, review of my history with nurse (again). Questions about when I last ate, when I last had a bowel movement, and stuff like that. Then I changed into the gowns and got a heparin shot in my abdomen to prevent clotting. It burned a lot. I would have future shots of heparin, but they didn't burn since I would be on pain meds at that point. I apparently even slept through one of them.

They also made me wear TED hose (compression stockings), socks with tread on them, and later I had to put on a surgical cap to cover my hair. They also later put the massage thing-ys on my legs to prevent blood clots, which I wore the whole time I was in the hospital.

I was nervous. I cried. My husband kissed me goodbye and my surgical nurse took me to the OR. OH . . . they let me go to the bathroom one last time so I did NOT have to have a catheter. I was VERY pleased about that. In the OR, the anesthesiologist was very sweet and he made me comfortable. All of the people were very nice. they could tell I was a bit emotional, so they asked me a lot of non-emotive questions. Like, diverted me off the topic of my kids and kept me focused on things like technical camera questions (they know I am a photographer). I thought it was nice to think about random things rather than the possibility of leaving my kids -- ya know? they just made me feel really comfortable.

Then, I woke up in the recovery room. My throat wasn't sore -- just a little scratchy and my voice was raspy. They gave me pain meds right away and swabs for my dry mouth. Later they gave me ice chips. My surgery was from 1-2 (they got started late), and I was in recovery until 3:45 ish. Then they moved me to my room, where I met up with my husband.

There, they gave me ice chips, Water, and cranberry juice. The juice felt the best on my throat. More pain meds. More heparin. I also got some other stuff -- anti-nausea medication and pepcid. Apparently, I will be on pepcid for at least one month. My doctor says it really helps your stomach as it gets accustomed to the band.

My only real pain per se is right under my left breast and radiating up. When it's really bad, like when I haven't walked in a while or when I am due for pain meds, I can feel it in my left shoulder. Other than that, I am totally pain free. I loved everyone's advice about walking. I did a lot of it and it really does help. Doing the "inspiration" breathing thing for my lungs has helped, too.

I had a difficult time peeing for the first time, so that was a little worrisome. But after I had some juice and did some walking, it was easier. I actually used a peri-bottle with warm Water like you get after giving birth and the warm water helped to inspire my bladder along. Apparently if you take toooooo long to pee after surgery, they will give you a catheter and I didn't want one.

At night, I got really nauseated, so they gave me phenergam, which knocked me out cold for like 7 hours. What a great night's sleep!!!

The next morning, my surgeon came in and gave me my prescriptions and told me I was good to go. He shook my hand and said, "Welcome to your new life." He's amazing! It was just what I needed to hear.

The nurse came in and did my discharge ppwk. the dietitian came in and went over my 2-week clear liquid diet (I am SO not looking forward to that part) and the future stages of my diet. And DH picked me up! When I got home, I kind of missed the hospital bed because it's a lot easier to get in and out of than my bed or my couch.

I slept and watched some TV and walked. That's about it.

Oh, my Breakfast consisted of chicken broth, apple juice, and orange Jello, of which I ate very little (this was at the hospital). lunch consisted of Capri Sun Raging Waters juice, water, diet Cranberry juice, and lime Jello (ate very little).

I wore jeans and a big shirt to the hospital and I also wore that home. the jeans are kind of baggy, but on the way home I didn't snap the top buttom and just let my baggy shirt cover them up. But I was able to wear my bra and undies no problem. I was also able to get dressed by myself quite easily.

This is what I packed:

Lotion - didn't use

lip balm - didn't use

contacts - put them in right before I left

glasses - wore them most of the time in the hospital

spare undies - wore them home next day

spare socks - wore them home the next day

magazines - didn't use -- only looked at one right before called to the operating room

hairbrush - didn't use (my hair is fine in a ponytail)

toothbrush/toothpaste - definitely used!

deodorant - used

facial cleanser - didn't use

facial moisturizer - didn't use

Gas-X strips - didn't use them until I got home

MP3 player - used it a little bit while napping in the evening after surgery -- it helped to drown out the hospital noise, even though there wasn't that much

make-up - definitely didn't use

hairbands - definitely used. I have hairbands that don't have any metal on them and they let me wear one during surgery. I have really long hair, so it's nice to be able to tie it back.

I think that's it!!!!!!!

Since I've been home, I've just had some things to drink, walked a bit, and watched TV, and slept. I feel pretty darn good.

I hope this post helped!

Edited by SanDiegoPhotog

Thanks for the post. I've been banded 2 years. Its so nice to hear from the newbies on their journey. Congrats on getting banded.

That's great that you had a good experience. I always like to read those. I'm going in to be banded in the morning. Nervous.

thank you for your post! it was very helpful! I get banded in a week. I hope your recovery goes well!

Bobbi

It was great to read about your experience - thanks! I am getting banded on 6/24 and am starting ahead trying to lose weight. I haven't done too well yet, but will kick it into high gear and do the liquid diet for the week prior.

I've been thinking that what I am sure I don't want is to have my surgeon to be feeling annoyed at me for not shrinking my liver enough during the surgery. I want to get that same gold star after I'm done.

Good for you!

Susan

ugh . . . let me just tell you that Day 2 of recovery has not been fun. Yesterday was better. Today was quite painful, but I'm hopeful that tomorrow will be better.

ugh . . . let me just tell you that Day 2 of recovery has not been fun. Yesterday was better. Today was quite painful, but I'm hopeful that tomorrow will be better.

Sorry to hear that today hasn't been that great for you! Hang in there. Have you been taking any prescription pain meds or just over the counter like Tylenol? What is giving you the most problem, the soreness or the gas or both?

I think it's mostly gas pain and port site pain. Today already seems to be a little bit better. I was just REALLY tired yesterday. I am going to try to get up and around a bit more today. Showering helped a little. Made me feel more human.

Hey, I am a twin mommy, too! It's so fun, isn't it? :(

Wow SanDiegoPhotog!! Congratulations on your gold star, that's awesome!! I'm glad to hear that your surgery was uneventful and hopefully your recovery will be too. It's true, this is the start of a new life. Keep up the good work. You are on your way girl!!!