Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

I would say bring capris or long pants. You will need a jacket or sweater. I was just outside wearing a coat and gloves--but then, this is cold for FL. You can always go to weather.com and check on the weather for Orlando. Just remember, the weather can change on a dime in FL.

Sorry guys...fly by. Hope you all had a great weekend. I am a football girl and hurrying posting cuz don't want to miss anything. At a SB party with laptop. Sick, huh? Knew it was the only time today I could check in.

Having the time of our lives with our friends. Packed a lot in since they have never been in this area. They wanted to see the Atlantic Ocean. Colder than crap on the beach.

Melissa. I don't know if I missed what time you are coming in. I will be at the airport at 10 to pick up great. I will scoop you up too if it's not too far from that time. Just let me know.

Gotta go...later

OK Jodi..I gotta ask...explain shabbos, please? thanks
A little update.

A lady from the state came out today and watched the kids play basketball. She told them they need to put him in public school and in a special ed class. SIL told my MIL she is not willing to do that. She will not stoop so low as to put her children in public school. She is really making him out to be this troubled kid. Someone else is coming out tommorrow to check things out. We are hoping to have him evaluated by a psychiatrist.

Last year my son had just started at a christian preschool. They had someone come out and evaluate him for learning disabilities. They told us he was special ed too. Now he is perfectly normal. He was just having a hard time adjusting to being in preschool instead of home with me. We just got his progress report, he has improved tremendously and is right where he should be. It just took a little extra work and the right preschool teacher.

Julie, When my daughter started preschool. I sent her to a Montessori school. They fired her lol. At least thats how my daughter puts it now. They like above....said she doesnt belong here and so it went from one school to another up until we found the right school..the one we wanted.....in the private sector..with the dual program. Half day english half day hebrew that "everyone" said she would never succeed in..guess what?? she is at the top of her class now...and she is still in the dual prgram...Hebrew/English. We didnt take her out and put her in Public School..no...we found a school that fit her needs...in the Private school dual program. She succeeded and still does....

Dont let anyone convince you to take a child out of the "philosophy" religion" or reg environment unless you want to....and think it is the last solution to the problem. No one should ever tell you to change....its them as you said above who has to change their teaching way to fit with yours in the most apropriate way possible!

The state knows jack .....about education and the importance of culture, religion and education. In my humble educators/child/family advocates opinion.

Hey gang.......Apples, we're going to have to get educated about Jodi's Jewish things... I've never heard of those things either..... Jodi, just pretend (?)we're dumb and explain everthing in detail!!!! I've also never heard of In and Out Burgers!!!

Janet, love your description of desert casual..... We had supper out tonight, too.... It was a community thing called "Taste of Washburn"..... Business people make a single dish (ordinary or unusual) and give out samples to everyone... $5 each, Mimi was free.... with 25 or more businesses sampling things is a full meal............ There was everything from fresh fruit to homemade bread...german dishes and Beans and chili and of course lots of desserts.... kuchen, cheesecake.... but all little bit-sized pieces... Mimi had 4 little cups of fruit and lots of nibbles of other stuff... I had a bit of a number of things and got very full, but didn't overdo until I went after the second piece of cheese kuchen... It had protein.....(cottage cheese)............ what can I say!!! anyway.... I kicked in my carb button and now I want to eat everything in the house... Have managed to not do that, but I'm not asleep yet, either!!!!

Otherwise, the day certainly had its ups and downs.... Washed my cell phone............. lovely............. Have PT on Tuesday so will have to get a new one then..... dang it anyway..... Started using a new brand of eye liner recently and my eyes have started itching and watering.... Don't know if it's that or not... Just washed them good with soap and Water again... Hoping the itching subsides now.....

Anyway, time for bed...... Take care all............. Julie :)

Ill try to explain.....so sit back and relax.....the dyslexic will try!

Hmmm. Im thinking...if you all dont know what shabbos is and about shabbos.....then I cant feel guilty about blowing it off can I?? Of course Indigo girl....youl have to pretend you dont know what it is then...lol

hmm not going to work ...I still feel guilty.

Okay.....here it is shabbat 101,

Indigo is correct....Shabbos is the yiddish for shabbat. It starts from Friday Sundown to Sat Sundown. 25 hours. True you cannot do certain things...like cook, clean, work, and a host of other things that involve electrcity and mechanics. On the other hand you can do many things.. like learn, read, eat, spend time with family and my motto is to "just relax..dont do it"

Here is what I learned about what shabbat is from some very special woman in Crown Heights...Brooklyn. I liked this very much so...Ive taken this explanation and made it mine.

Shabbat is a time to sit back and reflect on the creation of the world. Not doing anything to alter it at all.....It is a time to sit back and see all the things that are happening around us without us manipulating those things in order to make them do things, or change them in any way....just watch those things...and realize and see how much goes on around us without us interfering...seeing.... we are not in control.

We all worke all week to create, to make, to manipulate to change the world to be what we want it to be to become...but on shabbat we stop and sit back and realize that it isnt us that controls, creates and manipulates there is a higher being and he/she is in control not us and even if we think that we are doing everything....we need to be reminded that we arent the ones who created the world and the nature and the bounty the world has given.

Shabbat in a nut shell....beutiful and serene and so relaxing.

but living in the five towns of Long Island where there are so many afluent observant families sometimes I have to remind myself of the beuty of shabbat/shabbos.

Shabbos like anything else in a world of plenty has become about keeping up with the jones....

Who has the most guests? WHo spends the most money on food, Who wears the most expensive clothes, Who makes the best traditional food, Who prays the loudest the longest the most passionate, Who goes to the best synaguages, whose kids have play dates with whose kids and....who was invited to whose for what? yes, even on shabbat...this happens to the best of people sometimes...not always....and not everywhere...here but alot.

So, why do I need a break?? because....I live here, my daughter goes to school here,..she has lots of friends and I have lots of support. so....yes, I do get caught up in the hoopla and I need a breather to regroup at times.

so....im not proud but im not ashamed to say I need a break from all this....sometimes so I can come back the following week and do it the right way....the way it was meant to be.

now ive explained what shabbat is in a nut shell and why I need a break....its complicated?

I hope this helps. Now you can all call me a hypocrite and understand why! lol

Im glad you asked.....felt stupid thinking everyone knew ......because why?? Im a NYker and we are all thinking that after all everyone should know what I know after all! lol

NYkers. lol

Hey you FL girls, do you just do a carry-on or do you check your bag....??? I don't remember having to pay the last time we flew...... I haven't figured out which bag I need yet.... I'm really unsure of what clothes to pack..... I guess I'll just throw something in and go for it no matter what..... but I am curious if you check or carry-on........... Julie

I hope you all are having a blast of a weekend!!

Next year Im coming along with you all!!

Jodi

Good evening~

Been watching SB commercials..LOL. I pause the DVR and then FF through the game. I dated a football player in college too- but now, just don't have time or desire to watch FB.

Julie~ I have never been able to pack enough with a carry on. There is a washer/dryer in the condo if that helps with the decision. I will have some detergent and dryer sheets. With Nelson I find I usually do a load or two just to keep stuff from getting too stained (and hate to come home to tons of dirty clothes). I think it was from handwashing all my clothes in the Peace Corps! LOL. It taught me to appreciate W/D! As far as packing- bring some layers. But it will likely feel warm to you guys. I live in my Target yoga pants and t shirts with a light jacket. Bring comfy shoes. A bathing suit for the hot tub. Something comfy to hang out in the condo. One thing for dinner Sat night. Remember in FL, everything is casual.

Great~ Glad you had a good time on your miniV. Funny about your kids in the back seat! Glad you found your capris.

Apples~ Sounds like you are having a good time! I hear you with the laptop- I bring ours everywhere too.

Eva~ sorry about your Breakfast PB. I hate that. Sometimes we need to stick with what we know works!

Cheri~what movie did you end up seeing?

JB~ glad you're coming to see us! I think we are going to have a great get together!

Well, DH is working (emergency c section- he flew out of the house). Nels is in bed. I am chilling. : ) Nelson started crying tonight at bedtime, said he wanted his cast back on! OMG... I think it became an identity thing. Everyone noticed the bright green cast and asked him about it... and today while we were out he didn't get any attention. I told him I could glue it back on.

Have a good night... ttyl.... peas.....

[/color][/b]

Leaving shortly for a SuperBowl party, I don't have a team in it so don't care who wins but if I had to pick a winner I'd prefer the Colts. I am in it for the commercials.

Laura, remember half of us are coming from snowy, wintery conditions so to me that weather wasn't too bad of news at all! I'd prefer dry and no rain but will deal with it. Thanks for the update!

Jewel, glad you and DH are coming and that you got your own room. Will be fun to see you and also fun for you two to have a little weekend to yourselves.

Melissa, I am sure it is fine if you fly in early and ride with Apples and I. I arrive on Delta, maybe we can hook up at the airport so Apples just has one stop to make to pick up. I have your cell number so let's call one another when we land.

Great - am trying for Delta so me can meet up.

Just looked up Tuscana.net and--

there is a heated pool and a jacuzzi!

Let's bring bathing suits! (and a robe!--it's chilly here)

JB - I am so there with my suit (pretty or not):)

Hey you FL girls, do you just do a carry-on or do you check your bag....??? I don't remember having to pay the last time we flew...... I haven't figured out which bag I need yet.... I'm really unsure of what clothes to pack..... I guess I'll just throw something in and go for it no matter what..... but I am curious if you check or carry-on........... Julie

Julie - I like to check my bag. The last two flights I have been on people did not get on quick enough and their bas had to be checked anyways. But it cost 23.00 on Delta.

I would say bring capris or long pants. You will need a jacket or sweater. I was just outside wearing a coat and gloves--but then, this is cold for FL. You can always go to weather.com and check on the weather for Orlando. Just remember, the weather can change on a dime in FL.

JB - You are correct the weather changes on a dime. Remember I am a Florida girl at heart. I lived in Miami for 5 years and Kissimmee for 14.

Sorry guys...fly by. Hope you all had a great weekend. I am a football girl and hurrying posting cuz don't want to miss anything. At a SB party with laptop. Sick, huh? Knew it was the only time today I could check in.

Having the time of our lives with our friends. Packed a lot in since they have never been in this area. They wanted to see the Atlantic Ocean. Colder than crap on the beach.

Melissa. I don't know if I missed what time you are coming in. I will be at the airport at 10 to pick up great. I will scoop you up too if it's not too far from that time. Just let me know.

Gotta go...later

Apples - I am trying to get there early so I can be there by 10. I have not booked a flight yet because my person with the miles has not connected with me yet. I pray it all works out.

Shabbat and shabbos are the same thing. Some Jewish people pronounce the last Hebrew letter in the word as a T and some as an S. (I was a Bas Mitzvah; otherwise known as Bat Mitzvah--no difference.

It is Hebrew for Sabbath. It is celebrated different ways according to how religious you are--orthodox, conservative, reform. When I was in Israel having a Shabbat dinner with a religious family, the toilet paper had already been torn from the roll and set aside for use. That's how religious they were. Me? Growing up, I went to synagogue services on Friday night. We usually had a nice dinner at my grandparents' house...shabbos candles were lit, challah bread was there, a brisket, some matzoh ball soup---this is making me smile and tear up. It's family time, a time to rest. God rested on the 7th day--and so do we all.

There will not be a quiz.

Go Saint's !!! They won !!! 31-17

I am glad the under dogs one.

Hi all,

Well its been a heck of a week! Finially am getting a sec to sit and reflect a bit and catch up on some much needed sleep.< /p>

Finially getting used to the CPAP machine...at least I think I am. Im not fidgeting with it all night ..thinking the mask is not on right or the Water has run out etc etc.. I havent really seen/felt any changes as of yet except that the dog isnt waking me up after woken the dog up to take her out or to play. lol My daughter hasnt noticed if im not snoring but if the dog is not waking up then I have to assume im not snoring correct?

Today...we went to the cemetary because this week was the anniversary of my ex. death. My ex-husbands family two brothers and wifes came as well. One brother and wife from Israel and their daughter and husband...and the other brother who lives in NY. We never see this brother from NY even though he lives close by.

The brother from Israel well...we see them and their family when ever they come to the states to visit, go figure.

They took my daughter out for lunch and a museum after the cemetary wand spent the day with her. That was nice of them. They invited me however I was happy to have some time to myself and I wanted them to spend time alone with their niece without me impeding. They brought her a beutiful necklace from Israel and a present from the museum. I wish they lived here not there....she could use some relatives of her fathers for support. oh-well.

It really upset me today ...at the cemetary, to again realize how sad it is to have to comfort a child who lost a parent. It is so ironic that this should be able to happen, Its just so unfair. It should be only allowed to comfort middle age and older people who loose parents. No other situation should ever be allowed. I know this is foolish thinking however when you have to hold and comfort a ten year old...its soo wrong and sad. Whats worse...about the whole ordeal? Her father wasnt even my husband any more..and yet who else can go and comfort her and take her to see him to pay respects if no one is around from his family to take her...and would I want someone else to take her at this age and comfort her?? no...I wouldnt. Shes my daughter and I would never let her hurt alone ex husband, husband or not. The whole damn situation really is sureal. His brothers/wives/nieces and daughter...and then me...the ex with them. Kind of ironic really. Karma I guess.

Well. another year passed...and as each year goes on...the anger, resentment, unanswered questions and hurt dissipates some only sadness remains. Perhaps in time that too will turn into something a little less painful. For my daughter this may take a lifetime....

okay enough....

this week...is another week of new beginnings!!!

All consult letters are in. Apt. with surgeon and pulmnonologist. Then if all is good im good to go.....

Then its just about waiting.

Big month ahead. Its Purim time. Thats the fun holiday when all the kids get dressed up an deliver goodies to all their friends. Have a big meal and go hear the story of Esther the Queen. My daughter was born during this time so she is named Esther in Hebrew....Hadassah. SO...somewhere in the middle of all this will be her birthday party. lol (somewhere)

The big question is....how to make fat free Hamentashen? whole wheat cookie doe? fat free filling? What type of food shall go with it in the baskets for at least 10-20 people? Frut....yes, Nuts yes chocolate molds maybe.....Ill take any suggestions...but have discussed with my daughter that what ever we recieve is going right back to someone else afterwards!! no candy in the house. no no no!

any suggestions on making healthy food baskets? There needs to be three different items of foods...of course..we arent talking yet of cooking the meal for that day...that will of course come later.....much.

Have a great week all and enjoy the FL sun!

Youve all earned it for sure.....I cant wait to hear about all the good time.

Jodi

Shabbat and shabbos are the same thing. Some Jewish people pronounce the last Hebrew letter in the word as a T and some as an S. (I was a Bas Mitzvah; otherwise known as Bat Mitzvah--no difference.

It is Hebrew for Sabbath. It is celebrated different ways according to how religious you are--orthodox, conservative, reform. When I was in Israel having a Shabbat dinner with a religious family, the toilet paper had already been torn from the roll and set aside for use. That's how religious they were. Me? Growing up, I went to synagogue services on Friday night. We usually had a nice dinner at my grandparents' house...shabbos candles were lit, challah bread was there, a brisket, some matzoh ball soup---this is making me smile and tear up. It's family time, a time to rest. God rested on the 7th day--and so do we all.

There will not be a quiz.

oh no...no tearing up....did not want that..however if you are ever back in NY and want to come for shabbos dinner you are ever so welcome!! Cant promise food like your grandmother but it would be somewhat close. As for anyone else passing through....just give me a couple of hours notice dont need more then that and your all welcome! Door is always open!

Hey Jodi and Judy, thanks for the lesson on Jewish traditions... I admit to knowing nothing about it at all..... A farm girl from North Dakota and we don't have many of the Jewish faith around here..... I'm a lifelong member of a little country Lutheran church.

Thanks also, for the advice about baggage.... I'm thinking I'm just going to quit sweating it and take the bigger one and check it so I don't have to worry if I buy a little something or not.... Can't leave Florida without something for Mimi......

Judy, way to go on the 15 pounds... wish I could jump start my loss like that..... You must be feeling better now that things are moving down.... Good work.....

Lori, sounds like your family weekend was great... I can just see those big "kids" sitting in the back being kids..... Fun..........

Apples, you are such a good hostess.... I'm sure your friends are having the time of their lives..... Just so you know, I'm expecting you to make my little vacation a lot of fun, too.... No pressure now, of course..... But just meeting you will be a thrill.... and all the rest of you girls, too... sounds like our group is growing into a very nice crowd... I'm actually starting to get a bit excited rather that scared...... A week from now it will all be over!!!!! How about that ... time has gone by so fast after all...

DH went to bed early... Between all the driving and snow blowing after we got home, I think he is exhausted... I had a nap in my chair this evening, so may try to look at a book for awhile.. Haven't been reading much lately....Too much else going on.... I have been fortunate to have my shoulder not bother me much the last few days... I was scared it would start up on that long drive and make me crazy, but it didn't... Maybe there's hope for me yet...... HOWEVER, I feel a dang cold sore beginning on my upper lip.... I never get those... Why now, when I have all of you to impress....(LOL) Maybe I can kill it before I get there....

Well, Hope Janet had a good weekend and will be back soon..... I miss Meredith and some of the others who have been gone... ... They must really be busy living their lives...... I guess we all have busy lives and just get here when we can... I'm thankful for you all.. I always explain what I do here as my "on-line support group".... It's a wonderful thing..... Goodnight girls, talk to you tomorrow.... Julie

Julie, glad your are back safe and sound. Just a few more days and we will get to meet. I'm checking a bag too...I'm bringing too much stuff, but that's okay. I'm bringing my little collapsible ice chest and that's going in my luggage too.

Spent SB at my sister's. We were watching it for the commercials, but they weren't all that great. So we lost interest and started watching a movie. DH was at a friend of his.

July and Jodi, very interesting information. Having the traditions of your faith and family is pretty special. I copied and pasted your explanation of shabbos onto a word doc so I could keep it. I like that view.

We went to the Ansel Adams show at the Museum of Art today. He truly had some amazing work. I think we are going back on Wednesday because there were so many people there we didn't get to see all the work. Afterwards we walked to some of the Gem & Mineral show dealers. Didn't buy anything this time. So I didn't spend any money and I got a good walk in. It was a good day.

Off to bed...tomorrow is another work day.

Eva

Good Morning Gang

Drive by post - you all have been so busy...

Sis leaving today - so will have my normal schedule back

So Melissa is flying ;0)... Nelson got his cast off - Jodi gave us a lesson ;0)

Eva agree commercial were too good and neither was half time..

Julie - I am taking carry on - it's just easier than checking for me - really only have to pack for 2 days friday & saturday plus we will shop some ;0) Like Jb said for us warmer cliamite girls it will be on the cool side but for the rest of you it will be on the warm..

Well gotta hit the showers - work ....

TTYL

Good morning! Right now 67 degrees in FL sounds wonderful, I am looking out at a very cold and snowy view, can't even see the mountains today, and I am all wrapped up in my blanket trying to stay warm. Can't wait! Does anyone know how much each persons share of the room and expenses will be? I want to bring some cash to reimburse whomever I need to.

Got up at 530 this morning to have breakfast (went to MCD's) with DH as he is leaving for Atlanta today and then he comes home on Thurs. we will actually cross paths possibly in the airport on Thurs. as he is coming home and I am connecting to FL. I won't see him til Sunday afternoon.

Went to future SIL's for a SuperBowl party yesterday. I had no interest in either team so just picked the Colts to pick a team and they lost. I think in the future teams should pay me not to root for them then they are guaranteed a victory, no matter who I pick they always lose! I didn't think the commercials were all that good. I always like the Clydesdales ones and this one was cute but some of the past ones were better. Guess my favorite would have to be the Dorito one with the dog and the no bark collar that he takes off and puts on the guy. Enjoyed the Who at halftime but they were a little past their prime. I feel sorry this morning for Carrie Underwood, I heard her getting bashed pretty good on the radio for messing up the nat'l anthem, guess she didn't do that great. I thought she sounded fine and there was one note at the end that was a litte off, but gotta give her credit. I guess she's the first one to sing it in years live. She insisted on performing live, usually the prerecord it.

Jodi, quesstion on the shabbat. Do you light a candle on Fri evening at dinner that you can't blow out? I had a Jewish friend that I stayed with in Brooklyn years ago and we had some special dinner Friday night. AFter I helped clear the table and blew out the candle, she got really uptight and said it was to never be blown out and I felt so horrible I never asked why but have always been curious. Then I dried dishes and put the silverware in the wrong drawer with the wrong silverware certain ones weren't supposed to touch or something??? Thanks for the education!

Julie, glad you made it safe on your trip. I haven't decided whether I will check or carryon. I never pack til the last minute so it depends on how much I have. I am thinking I will check though so I have lots of room for shopping just in case. That means I'll probably find nothing. LOL I hate dealing with a carryon and finding overhead room for it and hoisting it up in the overhead which is something you might want to consider with your bad shoulder. But also I am lucky with my flying benefits I don't have to pay to check my bag either.

Janet, looking forward to you getting back to normal on here, miss you and Apples when you are gone.

Apples, miss you! glad you are enjoying your time in FL so far though.

Melissa, sounds great if we can hook up on the same flight or time!

Phyl, are you back from the cruise yet? How was it? Did it improve once you set sail??? I am trying to save up for a cruise in May. DH says since we are going to Isreal in a few weeks that is our major vacation this year, but we've done a cruise a year for the past several and I really want to do one again so I had been savign all my paychecks and any other unplanned money that comes in (like I got a refund for overpayment of a hospital bill, etc.) so hope I can swing it.

Morning everyone, I'm happy to say I slept well again last night... Sure makes a difference in my attitude for the day......But I sure did get that cold sore on my lip.... dang it anyway...... no kissing for a few days!!!! Should be better by Valentines Day and DH's birthday is on the 15th!!!!!!! He's getting new dress cowboy boots... but has to do his own shopping.....

Yup, I have decided to check my bag, and Lori, it was the shoulder and the lifting that helped me make up my mind... It's feeling better so no need to aggrivate it with some heavy lifting.....

Eva, what's the ice chest for???? got me curious... Glad you had a good time walking and not buying....

Well, I'm sure lots of you have as much to do as I do the next couple days... Mimi comes soon and I have PT in Bismarck tomorrow.... Gotta get some things started this morning so I'd better get at it.... The cat just puked on my carpet so I get to add that lovely chore to my list, too.... Yeah!!!!! TTYL.................. Julie

For the Florida Gang--should we bring pictures of us BEFORE the surgery? Might be fun and will definitely be inspiring to those of us that are still working to get to goal (like me!)

Mrs. Bubba--don't worry about outer appearances. Sure, we all like to be accepted, but this is a group that KNOWS the importance of being accepted and loved for who you are on the inside. This is a beautiful group and the compassion and caring we show each other will SHINE on the outside too! (of course, this doesn't mean I won't do a touch-up on my roots before this weekend---hahaha!)

After all.